IGNORED

Mehmeti

pl00peh91

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Until he is quicker thinking and more decisive with the ball, I think his role in a 3 will be to drag defenders and open up space for others  - provided he can at least give up the ball before he runs out of room and gets bundled off it. It's noticeable that we have far more end product when he cuts inside and lays it back into the channel in space for someone to cross for him, rather than him actually manage to create anything.

He's another player that is better away from home in transition when he can run at people out of position, he's got too little room and ability (for this level) at AG when defenders are set as opposed to back-tracking. He did not fare well in the comparison last night to Norwich's Polish winger (Płacheta?) who looked a handful, yet hasn't played in the league yet but was far more effective out wide - shows what we're up against.

One other thing on Mehmeti, for someone with his supposed baller skills, I do worry he looks pretty average taking on players at close range - maybe that is just form and confidence. When I think about players even in League One with clever feet, they are pretty consistent at being able to dribble past an opponent. Mehmeti uses his feet to good effect to recover possession in tight positions, but 1 on 1 he's not quick or decisive.

The only other thing to say is last night all four of our wide players were poor - Roberts probably most surprising for me. They all looked rusty. So Mehmeti doesn't deserve singling out. And the massive overreaction to the performance is a bit ridiculous too. Yes Mehmeti was a waste of time, but overall the team pressed as well as they have this season and put a real shift in, we were just consistently laboured out in wide areas.

I think when you play against good quality opposition you really need to cut your younger players some slack, unfortunately that's a fair chunk of the squad.  It's of they don't bounce back between games we're in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Having watched a fair bit of him in highlights at Wycombe, he looks a shadow of that player to me.

No-one has mentioned his corners yet either, which were dreadful.

Short of confidence and form. Manager's job to try and get him up to speed, as I believe the ability is there. 

In all fairness, that's on par with the rest of the side, no one can take a corner to save their life. Although if you listen to Robins TV they mention Naismith's 'wand' of a left foot, which somehow disappears when he walks to the corner of the pitch.

39 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Hang on.. just last week you were (unconvincingly) banging on about giving it a few games before throwing Nige under the bus.. now look at you. 

I said coaches not manager.

But as you've mentioned it, those few games are getting closer and things haven't improved yet. 

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Is this guy not very good, low on confidence, struggling to adapt to a new level or what?

He seems very much a confidence player struggling with his decision making at the moment. It’s a shame as he was transferred with much promise in January and was supposed to be a main target this summer, so he’s had an extra six months to get up to speed ready for this season but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

He’s still young so hopefully in time he will flourish, could use that sooner rather than later though as we are struggling for goals at the moment!

Remember Alan Nixon calling Mehmeti as his champ signing of the Jan window. He looks like the player from Woodford Town. 

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I don’t think he was bad as people made out, still tried to make things happen. What was poor (and this has happened since he joined) was his end product bar one good ball he takes too many touches and delays it a lot. If he works on that then we’ve got a great player on our hands

If.

It's difficult to adapt what goes on between your ears.

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I said coaches not manager.

But as you've mentioned it, those few games are getting closer and things haven't improved yet. 

Shame that you missed our last league game away versus Hull where we played our first team, we actually played really well. If Hull would have won that game they would have been joint top of the league, their fans though to their credit thought that we looked a great side and that we were really unlucky not to have won.

Apart from a few flashes of brilliance when he signed Mehmeti has looked a poor signing. After the first couple of appearances his form last season was IMHO poor. Many said wait until he has a pre-season with City. He’s had that now and so far he’s no better, possibly worse. 
The same regarding a pre season was said about Cornick, again he’s no better than last season. 
Pearson says he won’t make signings unless the players are better than we already have. Based on what I’ve seen so far I can’t see it with respect to Mehmeti or Cornick. Fingers crossed that they improve significantly as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Apart from a few flashes of brilliance when he signed Mehmeti has looked a poor signing. After the first couple of appearances his form last season was IMHO poor. Many said wait until he has a pre-season with City. He’s had that now and so far he’s no better, possibly worse. 
The same regarding a pre season was said about Cornick, again he’s no better than last season. 
Pearson says he won’t make signings unless the players are better than we already have. Based on what I’ve seen so far I can’t see it with respect to Mehmeti or Cornick. Fingers crossed that they improve significantly as the season progresses. 

Keep the faith and trust the best manger that we’ve ever had.. this time last year Zac was the devil reincarnated and he’s since gone on to prove everyone except our leader wrong..

12 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Shame that you missed our last league game away versus Hull where we played our first team, we actually played really well. If Hull would have won that game they would have been joint top of the league, their fans though to their credit thought that we looked a great side and that we were really unlucky not to have won.

I didn't and I thought we played well.  Unfortunately we are not consistent and have one good performance followed by 2 poor ones. I think that's how it will be under Nige.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

I didn't and I thought we played well.  Unfortunately we are not consistent and have one good performance followed by 2 poor ones. I think that's how it will be under Nige.

Well at least you have come clean and are no longer blaming the coaches… I’ve asked you before (last season) and you didn’t reply.. here goes again, in lieu of NP who do you suggest should replace him?

One thing I will say, most players who develop well do so by learning from the players they play with. Scott had two Premier League winners who may not be at their prime but can certainly pass on some good information, tips etc in his position, when you look at Mehmeti who is he learning from at this club? Name one winger with good experience, name a wide player who is older than him and can teach him, we don't have anyone. When you look at Conway, Bell etc they've got experienced players in their position who can help them develop their game, Mehmeti has joined us and his main competition for the spot in the team is a youth player in Bell, who isn't a winger but has been pushed into that spot and largely keeps it through running like a mad man and his pace. I'd be interested to see who is coaching our players in roles who don't have senior players in their roles. 
I can honestly see Mehmeti failing for us and then going to a club where they have someone who has experience in his position and a coaching staff who can develop his type of playstyle and he'll go on to do so much better. Whilst we're developing quality players through the youth system I think where we fail is once they get to this level and don't have anyone else to better their learning of the game. I'm sure many will say that's Pearsons job but at the end of the day the coaches largely do not go out onto the pitch in the modern game and it's the players who do who will be best at helping a player develop. I just feel we have a great technical and skillful player and no-one to coach him in those aspects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Is this guy not very good, low on confidence, struggling to adapt to a new level or what?

He seems very much a confidence player struggling with his decision making at the moment. It’s a shame as he was transferred with much promise in January and was supposed to be a main target this summer, so he’s had an extra six months to get up to speed ready for this season but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

He’s still young so hopefully in time he will flourish, could use that sooner rather than later though as we are struggling for goals at the moment!

Remember Vyner?....he was constantly criticised for being below par.....now We don't want him to go. Sadly football is not an environment for deferred gratification!

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

The form of Mehmeti & Cornick is, at best, evidence of making acquisitions that are no better than what we already had

You’ve latched into something NP has said to have a little dig with no understanding of what it actually means in terms of building a squad 

Better or not better than who ?

You recruit , in different ways , to improve your first pick 11 and the overall squad 

Cornick, to me ,  is a bolster squad member in and out the first 11 , off the bench when everyone fit 

Mehmeti is to whatever degree a ‘prospect’ , a wildcard , that if they can work the football intelligence required at this level could be a real asset , both to first XI and financially.

He needs a squad , even if zero injuries, besides an XI and a load of 18 year olds 

You simply aren’t going to recruit an obvious improvement on a first pick player every time you bring someone in 

You can also ask what NP thinks and has to say privately , looking back at that comment , and any plan when we have slashed the wage budget dramatically , and Lansdown and our Chairman appear to have lost complete interest of anything meaningful.

Sums up Lansdowns tenure here really - chips on red when it’s black , and black when it’s red

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Cornick, to me ,  is a bolster squad member in and out the first 11 , off the bench when everyone fit 

A tool in the bag - your saying it yourself

Does he improve us, is that not our mantra??

With the best will in the world he was/is not an improvement on what we already have - far from it in fact.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

The form of Mehmeti & Cornick is, at best, evidence of making acquisitions that are no better than what we already had

Revelatory stuff.

We sell Semenyo for £10m, replace him & Chris Martin (based on your logic he’s better than them then?) for a combined £1.3m in Mehmeti & Cornick & you’re apparently surprised?

7 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

A tool in the bag - your saying it yourself

Does he improve us, is that not our mantra??

With the best will in the world he was/is not an improvement on what we already have - far from it in fact.

Is he a obvious improvement in our first choice XI , probably not ,

but as I said above we also need 18/20 players minimum that can realistically play 

If you can find us an obvious first XI pick week in week out for what Cornick has cost us , I’ll be impressed 

Oh fwiw not a ‘tool in the bag’ , an option for the way we’ve set up

Tools in the bag was boy wonders recruitment , every type of player, often 2 or 3 same ,  to fiddle with 

You need to grasp the difference , So no I’m not saying it 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Hmmm 1

confidence is key as anyone that has played football will know, mehmeti will come good as will sam bell

young players need the fans and the management team  behind them to boost there confidence

the problem with some not all are fans we like to shoot a young player down to quick 

lets be honest here all are players look bang on average and are under performing

54 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Well at least you have come clean and are no longer blaming the coaches… I’ve asked you before (last season) and you didn’t reply.. here goes again, in lieu of NP who do you suggest should replace him?

Firstly our directors are paid a six figure salary to make those important decisions.

But if it came to it, I would recommend young and foreign.

Secondly, I don't want him gone yet - I always said I would give him a few more games and hope things get better.

All us so called 'doom mongers' only want the best for the club and if we are hobbling along with a poor manager then we may push for a change - but we actually all want him to succeed and not have to have this conversation.

17 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Firstly our directors are paid a six figure salary to make those important decisions.

But if it came to it, I would recommend young and foreign.

Secondly, I don't want him gone yet - I always said I would give him a few more games and hope things get better.

All us so called 'doom mongers' only want the best for the club and if we are hobbling along with a poor manager then we may push for a change - but we actually all want him to succeed and not have to have this conversation.

You spouted the same ‘give him a few more games’ crap last season too… you’ve got an agenda with NP you should just admit it… btw our directors made the important decision when they appointed NP.. and as for young and foreign? Bit loose isn’t it?

7 minutes ago, FNQ said:

You spouted the same ‘give him a few more games’ crap last season too… you’ve got an agenda with NP you should just admit it… btw our directors made the important decision when they appointed NP.. and as for young and foreign? Bit loose isn’t it?

Indeed. There are 4.9 billion people worldwide under 35. 99% of those are foreign. I don’t fancy working through a shortlist of 4.9 billion people.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

Until he is quicker thinking and more decisive with the ball, I think his role in a 3 will be to drag defenders and open up space for others  - provided he can at least give up the ball before he runs out of room and gets bundled off it. It's noticeable that we have far more end product when he cuts inside and lays it back into the channel in space for someone to cross for him, rather than him actually manage to create anything.

He's another player that is better away from home in transition when he can run at people out of position, he's got too little room and ability (for this level) at AG when defenders are set as opposed to back-tracking. He did not fare well in the comparison last night to Norwich's Polish winger (Płacheta?) who looked a handful, yet hasn't played in the league yet but was far more effective out wide - shows what we're up against.

One other thing on Mehmeti, for someone with his supposed baller skills, I do worry he looks pretty average taking on players at close range - maybe that is just form and confidence. When I think about players even in League One with clever feet, they are pretty consistent at being able to dribble past an opponent. Mehmeti uses his feet to good effect to recover possession in tight positions, but 1 on 1 he's not quick or decisive.

The only other thing to say is last night all four of our wide players were poor - Roberts probably most surprising for me. They all looked rusty. So Mehmeti doesn't deserve singling out. And the massive overreaction to the performance is a bit ridiculous too. Yes Mehmeti was a waste of time, but overall the team pressed as well as they have this season and put a real shift in, we were just consistently laboured out in wide areas.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, Cornick is being played out of position, so there's an excuse for him if you need one.

I think they are both being played out of position.

Cornick evolved his game (from a winger) at Luton to someone who flitted around a front man or even two front men, getting bits and pieces, running in behind, being a pest, etc.  Playing him wide right narrows the range of things he can do.  We saw briefly on Friday night v Hull what playing him central and giving him freedom to go where his instincts tell him helps him.

Mehmeti played most of his Wycombe matches off of a striker, then last season drifting left, more of an inside left, rather than a left winger, which is where he’s being played now.  Again he’s restricted (like HC) by being stuck on a touchline.  We’ve seen Mehmeti look more threatening when he’s more “inside” going up against CBs rather than full-backs.

FWIW Mehmeti’s tracking / blocking w/o the ball last night first half was pretty good too.

We need our wide forwards to stop playing as touchline huggers and start to play closer to Wells / striker when we have the ball.  That opens space for our our FBs too.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Indeed. There are 4.9 billion people worldwide under 35. 99% of those are foreign. I don’t fancy working through a shortlist of 4.9 billion people.

Especially if you gave the job to JL & Mark Ashton, because their answer would then be Dean Holden.

Felt sorry for him yesterday. Literally everything he did was wrong.

Was sat at the bottom of the lansdown, and first half he looked like he had no idea what to do. Roamed marking player to player with roberts and Naismith havig to direct him. Got a few bolluckings from Nige too. Was surprised to see him make the second half

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Yet again you miss the point. Both improved the squad and keep us strong over 90 minutes. Gone are the days of 2 years ago when substitutions actually weakened us and led to lots of late goals being conceded. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that when our players get the ball in an advanced position, they are being told to pass it backwards rather than attack the opposition's defence.  Maybe that's the reason why they look rubbish.  Could it be the negative tactics rather than the players?

How many times do we seem to find ourselves on the edge of our opponent's penalty area only to find it going back to Max O'Leary two or three passes later.

Not having a target man is certainly not helping our cause either.

Edited by wendyredredrobin