IGNORED

Sheridan Robins. Radio Brizz commentator last night

Norn Iron

42 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Oh dear Portland, don't you know you HAVE to say these women are good otherwise you'll be deemed sexist!

No one's saying that at all. If you don't think they're very good that's entirely fair.

But suggesting that someone is only there because they're fulfilling some sort of quota, like you did, quite literally is sexist.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

I’ve never heard her commentate but have heard her do match reports and interview the Yeovil managers after games on Radio Bristol as I drive home from games and find her very good at that part of her job.

I think her dad is a director or something at Yeovil and thought that might be how she landed the job but I think she’s as good as anyone on radio Bristol.

Decent surname too.

• Sad 1
  • Robin 1

I do try not to fall into that tired, Women shouldn't be commentating shite, but I thought the whole thing was poor.
Spells of quiet, ok if you're commentating for TV. Felt like it was all to chummy and too many giggles, didn't always use the players names , more Norwich , Norwich . Even after being quiet, to come back with great tackle but not mention by who .
I've heard her post match, as mentioned, and she seems pretty good.  
TBF I moan about commentating fairly often, not a big fan of the regular Radio Bristol mob ( they're ok though ) & don't enjoy Toby Osbourne, so she is in good company. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Living in Somerset myself, I have had to listen to her numerous times over the last couple of years. She has been the commentator on all of Yeovil’s games.

She is 100% not the sort of commentator I want to listen to, I can’t handle the screeching voice, it drives me nuts. 

People say that about Rich Hoskins as well, but it's just how he expresses moments of excitement.

We all have our favourites and preferences, and when John Motson retired there was a tribute thread here with people going on about how he was "the voice of football" but I always disliked Motty's commentaries, with their clumsily shoehorned uninteresting facts, fake chuckles and utter lack of ever seeing humour in the game.  Others thought he was great.

So, the tone of voice of this lady commentator is obviously dividing people, but that's to be expected.

It doesn't have anything to do with her being female, hopefully. I'm sure people have moved beyond that. 

• Like 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I can’t handle the screeching voice, it drives me nuts. 

This is an interesting point as the majority of presenters on TV screech at times 

There's some horrific noises from Neville most games 

13 hours ago, t_b said:

Sometimes people just take a side for other reasons than actual spoken content…

Exactly this it's the same people that moan about the Lionesses coverage etc 

• Like 1

Nice article, good read. 

How Sheridan Robins’ passion for Yeovil Town underpins her BBC rise – Somerset’s Alive! (somersetsalive.co.uk)

Extract

Sheridan told Somerset’s Alive!: “I have had my fair share of criticism too and that takes some getting used to. You have to realise you are not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, and take feedback on board.

“But, I also get a huge amount of support and for that I am grateful. I give it my all and can honestly say I work hard to be prepared for every game and situation. I also hope my passion for the game comes across.”

Edited by DingleRed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is an interesting point as the majority of presenters on TV screech at times 

There's some horrific noises from Neville most games 

Exactly this it's the same people that moan about the Lionesses coverage etc 

Yes, I don't particularly like any TV commentator. Clive Tyldesley, Guy Mowbray…I don't really know their names. So I liken her to them, not because she is a woman. 

• Like 1

I dont think a high pitched voice suits commentary of football matches

She cant help that obviously - and other than that she said all the right things. Described the action well etc.

Not a commentator i would look forward to hearing, but not the worst by any means

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I do try not to fall into that tired, Women shouldn't be commentating shite, but I thought the whole thing was poor.
Spells of quiet, ok if you're commentating for TV. Felt like it was all to chummy and too many giggles, didn't always use the players names , more Norwich , Norwich . Even after being quiet, to come back with great tackle but not mention by who .
I've heard her post match, as mentioned, and she seems pretty good.  
TBF I moan about commentating fairly often, not a big fan of the regular Radio Bristol mob ( they're ok though ) & don't enjoy Toby Osbourne, so she is in good company. 

You are giving me PTSD of listening to him and Rene Gilmartin throughout that painful lockdown season of 2020/21 when we were absolutely awful yet they would repeat absolute nonsense every game like we were hard done by in every match. Terrible.

• Like 1

Just now, 2015 said:

You are giving me PTSD of listening to him and Rene Gilmartin throughout that painful lockdown season of 2020/21 when we were absolutely awful yet they would repeat absolute nonsense every game like we were hard done by in every match. Terrible.

My main problem is how he tempts fate, City in total control of a game, surely 3 points in the bag ( 20 mins from time) etc, etc , he does it so often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My main problem is how he tempts fate, City in total control of a game, surely 3 points in the bag ( 20 mins from time) etc, etc , he does it so often. 

2 minutes in 'City dominating the proceedings' . It's 2 minutes in for christ sake!

• Like 2

It sounded like nails down a blackboard to me for over 90 minutes. Luckily for league games I’ve got BCTV unluckily the commentator there is equally as awful if not worse. 

Perhaps Owers should do the commentary, he gets so bloody excited and I sometimes I think local radio commentary needs to be a bit more partisan 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Everyone moaning about this commentator should think themsleves lucky that they live in the RB signal area and that RB provides full commentary on City games.

If I could listen to this I would be happy with Joe Pasquale and Bobcat as co-commentators.

Anything better than that is a bonus.

He reminds me of how Jon Lansdown talks 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

She did the Rovers home game the other day as well. I believe she hasn't got another Yeovil game until end of October as she has been given other matches to cover. Whether that is for radio Bris or five live I don't know.

On that point........why are Yeovil still afforded full game commentary because they are now in a very "two bob" league, or alternatively why haven't Bath or Weston  got live comms ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Sheridan Robins did updates on the Wales v Korea match for five live a few days ago,

and was missing from the Yeovil v Eastbourne game on Saturday 9th september.

Hope she goes onto bigger and better things in the future

Sheridan was reporting on Exeter v Orient for 5 live yesterday.