IGNORED

Gardiner-Hickman

GrahamC

Was talking to @Davefevs the other day about confirmation bias, where you don’t shake a fixed idea despite the evidence & because we won yesterday I think the comments on his performance were positive, but I thought it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Firstly he was clearly pretty nervous on his full debut, one of his very first touches was a really poor cross field ball that caused panic.

The positives for me were one excellent defence splitting pass to Wells, his set piece delivery was good & he was committed throughout, I also really liked the way he encouraged his team mates as he was subbed.

There were a fair few misplaced passes however, several of which got us in real trouble at the back & perhaps understandably he was definitely starting to flag when he came off.

6/10 for me, looks a squad addition & bet he will be glad when his stop start beginning (cup tied, then he misses the next game because it’s West Brom) is over.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Ye pretty spot on. Some very good and some oh no moments. But when up to speed he will be a good addition to our squad. Looked shattered when he went off. 
One little thing I did like, right near the end of the game the ball went out for a Swansea throwing they picked up another ball to take it and GH kicked the other ball back on the pitch. The little things you notice 

• Like 4

Think he will be a decent signing, we certainly looked better down the right hand side. He could definitely be a good option in CM, such a shame that McCrorie is out as believe he was going to be an asset going forward with his energy. Don’t understand why he kept taking corners and free kicks, they were flat Matty James type deliveries, Naismith has to be on set pieces with that wand of a left foot. Best left foot since a certain Brian Tinnion IMO. 

• Like 1

Brother Gardiner-Haskins. Had a decent game. Can totally see his potential and think he’ll be a brilliant addition once properly up to speed. Says it all tbat Pearson was visibly amazed and delighted that we’d been able to get him in this weeks presser. 

Wears his socks over his knees too. 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Was talking to @Davefevs the other day about confirmation bias, where you don’t shake a fixed idea despite the evidence & because we won yesterday I think the comments on his performance were positive, but I thought it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Firstly he was clearly pretty nervous on his full debut, one of his very first touches was a really poor cross field ball that caused panic.

The positives for me were one excellent defence splitting pass to Wells, his set piece delivery was good & he was committed throughout, I also really liked the way he encouraged his team mates as he was subbed.

There were a fair few misplaced passes however, several of which got us in real trouble at the back & perhaps understandably he was definitely starting to flag when he came off.

6/10 for me, looks a squad addition & bet he will be glad when his stop start beginning (cup tied, then he misses the next game because it’s West Brom) is over.

I'm sure he'll do well when he settles and gets to know the rest of the squad better, can't be easy coming in so late…

Hard to see it any other way @GrahamC 

At one stage , after he had hesitated a couple of times and been caught in possession, I really did think we would see an early change. I thought he improved as the game went on, he did seem to put in a shift and I do think he will improve. Plus his best position is supposed to be MF, so I think he deserves time to settle, while he gets used to covering for McCrorie.
More, and better, to come I'm sure. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I'm sure he'll do well when he settles and gets to know the rest of the squad better, can't be easy coming in so late…

That’s fair & the nerves are totally understandable.

Seems a good lad & also genuinely pleased to be here, for someone initially here on loan that’s a good sign.

Tall too, which should help us as we’re not the biggest side.

• Like 2

Yeah probably a 6 for me as well. On both the positive and negative side he didn’t really stay fully in position as RB - positive as at one point him and Sykes switched after he got caught further up and we didn’t lose any shape; negative as one point during the first half I think he forgot he was RB and ended up the other side of the pitch leaving a large gap. He’ll have harder games but initial signs overall good.

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Brother Gardiner-Haskins. Had a decent game. Can totally see his potential and think he’ll be a brilliant addition once properly up to speed. Says it all tbat Pearson was visibly amazed and delighted that we’d been able to get him in this weeks presser. 

Wears his socks over his knees too. 

Very John Terryesque 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I had a similar twitter chat with Dave Sainsbury (dad of Aaron).  I called it mixed too.  Think I wrote on here last night that action 1 was the cross field ball cut out, shiiiiiit, almost let them in.  Action 2 was a cool header back to Max sandwiched between two Swansea attackers.

It was that kind of game.

Re confirmation bias, I think Joe Williams suffers from that.  Quad and hamstring injuries for his first two years here, and it doesn’t matter how well he plays, he’s tarred by that.

Just listening to @3 Peaps In A PodCast and they’re just talking about his good he was.

But for me, a lot of people are probably commenting because he got a “1” in the assist column for Sykes goal, and that makes them sit up and notice.

38 minutes ago, fairweather said:

You were “talking” to @Davefevs

so it’s a person?

I always thought it was an EFL rival to Opta

Data Verified Football Evaluation Service

Just a crap football version of ChatGPT!

Not to be too disrespectful to Tanner but TGH seems to have more impetus to get us forward and I think we're better when playing on the front foot.

I wouldn't say he was faster than Tanner so not bursting down the wings although he overlapped a couple of times. It's more his passing that seems to be more positive and incisive and this gets us going. As others have said he did dally on the ball and played us into danger early on but I think he'll only get better and better.

I thought he made a good start but then after 2 bad mistakes shrank back a little before growing back into the game.

A really good cross into the box at one point (think it may of been a free kick) and his set piece delivery looked a lot better than what we have been used too.

Not a right back as you could see him tempted to move infield but as mentioned better than Tanner going forward.

I liked the lad and his passion for the team looked evident, I would be happy to trigger the full transfer if he keeps this up and can only see him improving.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had a similar twitter chat with Dave Sainsbury (dad of Aaron).  I called it mixed too.  Think I wrote on here last night that action 1 was the cross field ball cut out, shiiiiiit, almost let them in.  Action 2 was a cool header back to Max sandwiched between two Swansea attackers.

It was that kind of game.

Re confirmation bias, I think Joe Williams suffers from that.  Quad and hamstring injuries for his first two years here, and it doesn’t matter how well he plays, he’s tarred by that.

Just listening to @3 Peaps In A PodCast and they’re just talking about his good he was.

But for me, a lot of people are probably commenting because he got a “1” in the assist column for Sykes goal, and that makes them sit up and notice.

Just a crap football version of ChatGPT!

@Davefevs  --help --man

should get us somewhere.

What I found interesting was his drop off in fitness, visible even in the first half. It’s interesting because he was in the team at WBA prior to moving to us, so you would expect him to be match fit - evidently our pre season and fitness regime does seem to create fitter players then our rivals. That will become more important as the season matures of course, but hats off as we do look full of energy 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I'd say that's a fair assessment, but I still have this suspician (bias?) That he's a midfielder instinctively. I've got a good feeling about him, and Nige was glowing when he talked about the signing so there could be more impressive performances ahead.

• Like 1

The Mrs was impressed they got his name to fit on the back of his shirt.

Understandably looked like a guy late to the party and lacking some fitness and sharpness but lots of signs there is more to come from him. Think he'll show his worth as the season goes on.

Dare I say it but I think he comes across as another club in the bag adept at giving a good performance in a few areas of the pitch which in a small group of players is very useful. 

I think he’ll improve as he gets to know our players and they get to know him, for example a couple of times he got caught with the ball when moving it infield where perhaps a shout would have helped, one players know what he wants to do then they’ll look to cover and give him a shout when needed.

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Dare I say it but I think he comes across as another club in the bag adept at giving a good performance in a few areas of the pitch which in a small group of players is very useful. 

I think he’ll improve as he gets to know our players and they get to know him, for example a couple of times he got caught with the ball when moving it infield where perhaps a shout would have helped, one players know what he wants to do then they’ll look to cover and give him a shout when needed.

Not a club in the bag, not for me anyway. To me that's an insulting term for someone who can't really play but has something they can trouble the opposition with that you can take advantage of now and again. That type of player hoarding has long disappeared out of the club thankfully.

• Like 2