IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion at home match thread

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Unless someone is taken ill or gets injured in the warm up I can’t see it being anything else.

Saw a few random comments on social media about “giving Roberts a go” or picking Naismith In midfield instead of Williams (!) & wonder what these people are on.

Pring was excellent at Swansea, Williams rivalled Sykes for MoM.

We don’t have loads of players (TGH’s absence means one fewer) but we do have a decent, tight squad.

Can still see a draw though.

First match I can get to this season. Looking forward to it.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1
44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Unless someone is taken ill or gets injured in the warm up I can’t see it being anything else.

Saw a few random comments on social media about “giving Roberts a go” or picking Naismith In midfield instead of Williams (!) & wonder what these people are on.

We don’t have loads of players (TGH’s absence means one fewer) but we do have a decent, tight squad.

Can still see a draw though.

Would take that tbf as long as we get 3 points against the janners Tuesday , 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe they noticed the same players being underwhelming in our first two home games and think a change of approach at AG may be needed?

• Like 1

We’re still very much a counter attacking team transitioning into a possession side as nige has said. This is why we’re having problems at home imo . Hopefully WBA will come onto us today  so we can get behind & down the sides of them. Both Preston & brum stopped us doing that . We need to be better obviously but away form suggests we’re a decent side & if we can get the home form going we could be in for a good season . 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

First match I can get to this season. Looking forward to it.

That’s a home loss then!

22 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Maybe they noticed the same players being underwhelming in our first two home games and think a change of approach at AG may be needed?

So you’d change the side that gave our best performance of season last time out?

Ok then.

• Robin 1
47 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’re still very much a counter attacking team transitioning into a possession side as nige has said. This is why we’re having problems at home imo . Hopefully WBA will come onto us today  so we can get behind & down the sides of them. Both Preston & brum stopped us doing that . We need to be better obviously but away form suggests we’re a decent side & if we can get the home form going we could be in for a good season . 

We are very one dimensional at home I’m afraid , we really needed to keep Scott to open defences up , he and Naismith ( with his passing ) are our key for unlocking teams . Like you say away from home we have more space to exploit and with our pace and workmanlike players can do this . Teams and managers are very detailed and well drilled and will know all our strengths and weaknesses , West Brom will sit in watch us go sideways and back wards and pick us off , 

This can all change though if we can get in front and make West Brom come at us - let’s see  

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

We are very one dimensional at home I’m afraid , we really needed to keep Scott to open defences up , he and Naismith ( with his passing ) are our key for unlocking teams . Like you say away from home we have more space to exploit and with our pace and workmanlike players can do this . Teams and managers are very detailed and well drilled and will know all our strengths and weaknesses , West Brom will sit in watch us go sideways and back wards and pick us off , 

This can all change though if we can get in front and make West Brom come at us - let’s see  

I think it’s a bit of myth that teams sit in against us at AG.  Certainly Preston and Brum didn’t, but like any opponent, if you don’t move the ball quickly enough, you can’t move a defence around / they get set, you can’t create space, etc.

Worth remembering that Naismith wasn’t playing in both home games this season, so we can see whether his crisp passing and his ability to beat the press gets us though West Brom’s first line of defence.  If he can we can see what we do if we face up the likes of Yokoslu and Molumby in the centre of midfield.  Against Brum, Bielik and Sunjic were blowing out their arses around 65-70 mins, but we didn’t make it count.

West Brom aren’t likely to gegen-press us though, so we have to work out whether are way “forward” is via Tanner / Pring, or whether Vyner / Naismith can step into midfield…both have the ability to do so.  It’s that kind of action that makes your opponent have to change things.

I think as fans we have to recognise it will be different to away, and be patient whilst getting behind the team.

(Sky Sports think we could be unchanged!  WTAF!!!)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sky Sports lack of interest in us is pretty blatant, you could see that by the fact we featured in the minimum number of games last season.

Totally get the ex Prem obsession (almost certainly that’s going to be Leicester & Leeds this season) but inexplicably Blackburn (who are small) & Cardiff (who are shite) both gets loads of games.

No excuse for not doing basic research, either. Anyone with a passing interest understands that Gardner-Hickman can’t play today due to being on loan.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sky Sports lack of interest in us is pretty blatant, you could see that by the fact we featured in the minimum number of games last season.

Totally get the ex Prem obsession (almost certainly that’s going to be Leicester & Leeds this season) but inexplicably Blackburn (who are small) & Cardiff (who are shite) both gets loads of games.

No excuse for not doing basic research, either. Anyone with a passing interest understands that Gardner-Hickman can’t play today due to being on loan.

Do you think if we beat them next Saturday Sky might consider televising the return match at AG? ?

• Robin 1
9 minutes ago, Midred said:

Do you think if we beat them next Saturday Sky might consider televising the return match at AG? ?

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Does that clown Hendie put us bankers to get relegated again ?

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Birmingham was the first home game Ive been able to get to for ages.

I've read NP's comments about us having to learn how to break down teams that come to AG and set up defensively. My take from the Birmingham game was that while possession based football is fine, the speed of our build up was the problem. By the time we had passed back and across the back 4 in our own half Birmingham were easily able to get men back behind the ball and into shape. This also negated Bell's pace, as when he did eventually receive the ball he was closely marked and with no space to run into.

Our frustration then led to the likes of Vyner trying to play long balls out of defence, mishitting the pass and giving the ball to Brum. Naismith's long passing is far better,  and might enable us to spring attacks from deep  and in particular getting the ball earlier to our runners when they can attack space in front of the defence. 

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s a bit of myth that teams sit in against us at AG.  Certainly Preston and Brum didn’t, but like any opponent, if you don’t move the ball quickly enough, you can’t move a defence around / they get set, you can’t create space, etc.

Worth remembering that Naismith wasn’t playing in both home games this season, so we can see whether his crisp passing and his ability to beat the press gets us though West Brom’s first line of defence.  If he can we can see what we do if we face up the likes of Yokoslu and Molumby in the centre of midfield.  Against Brum, Bielik and Sunjic were blowing out their arses around 65-70 mins, but we didn’t make it count.

West Brom aren’t likely to gegen-press us though, so we have to work out whether are way “forward” is via Tanner / Pring, or whether Vyner / Naismith can step into midfield…both have the ability to do so.  It’s that kind of action that makes your opponent have to change things.

I think as fans we have to recognise it will be different to away, and be patient whilst getting behind the team.

I think Naismith will make a major difference ( hopefully in a positive way ) I understand what you say Dave and agree to a certain extent Preston didn’t really sit in perhaps I used the wrong terminology they seem to stay pretty solid and rather than be fluent or take chances put the onus on us to open them up , Tommys movement is a big loss there even though I think Wells has been very good in that respect this season 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, redkev said:

Does that clown Hendrie put us bankers to get relegated again ?

I’m guessing after last season when he seemed to forget what he was going to say & then appeared to make up the third name (Reading) on the spot, even they have realised he’s not worth hearing.