IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion at home match thread

15 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Pring should have been subbed, hes legs are gone.

Was in lower Dolman & Pring was absolutely shot...

Pushed up when we went back three but was still a liability - not going to get into a debate about physical fitness, but he should have been first to be changed, not left out there necessitating others to keep an eye on him!

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

Really enjoyable game that. First half was the best we've played at home for a long time, thought our midfield really won the battle, Sykes looked dangerous and Naismith showed a lot of quality on the ball. We just miss that clinical striker don't we 

2nd half fair play to their manager he made changes and they had the better of it, but we still retained a threat and defended really well.

Overall a great watch and a lot to like about our approach and application! Compare that to brum/Preston where we couldn't string 2 passes together! 

• Like 2

Poor subs for me yesterday. As people have mentioned it was clear to see Pring was blowing. Thought James had run out of steam too whereas Knight can run all day & Sykes didn't look burnt. Too of our most, if not most, dynamic players at a time when we needed energy on the pitch. I would've brought Roberts on for Pring. Moved Naismith into middle instead of James & Dickie at CB. Yeboah could've been a direct replacement for Wells to put em on the back foot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Poor subs for me yesterday. As people have mentioned it was clear to see Pring was blowing. Thought James had run out of steam too whereas Knight can run all day & Sykes didn't look burnt. Too of our most, if not most, dynamic players at a time when we needed energy on the pitch. I would've brought Roberts on for Pring. Moved Naismith into middle instead of James & Dickie at CB. Yeboah could've been a direct replacement for Wells to put em on the back foot.

I was unsure why it took so long for Dickie to come on, given that we're a below average height side and they are an above average height side. Once they'd pushed up Furlong to fulfill a more forward role, we were on the back foot for long periods and faced that series of nail-biting corners and free kicks. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was unsure why it took so long for Dickie to come on, given that we're a below average height side and they are an above average height side. Once they'd pushed up Furlong to fulfill a more forward role, we were on the back foot for long periods and faced that series of nail-biting corners and free kicks. 

I can only assume we were anxious about disrupting the central defence at 0-0 but have to agree, Maja was giving us all sorts of problems & as their centre backs towered over our entire side I thought he should have been on a lot earlier.

Do think that our lack of quality & experience on the bench yesterday was telling but still certainly a case for the likes of Roberts & Cornick coming on earlier, too.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I can only assume we were anxious about disrupting the central defence at 0-0 but have to agree, Maja was giving us all sorts of problems & as their centre backs towered over our entire side I thought he should have been on a lot earlier.

Do think that our lack of quality & experience on the bench yesterday was telling but still certainly a case for the likes of Roberts & Cornick coming on earlier, too.

Dickie also more of a threat for our corners 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I did mean to put "around the usual 60 minute mark".  I thought he was doing a good job defensively and thought the changes could have been risky then.

I thought Pring played really well. There was one absolutely lung busting run he went on that probably wiped him out. I saw some hands on knees and slugging tracking at around 68 minutes. I'm glad he puts everything in and doesn't pace himself. Subs are there for a reason.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought Pring played really well. There was one absolutely lung busting run he went on that probably wiped him out. I saw some hands on knees and slugging tracking at around 68 minutes. I'm glad he puts everything in and doesn't pace himself. Subs are there for a reason.

Exactly. I'd rather he ran himself out than hold back trying to last 90, his pace and powerful running are a great asset, use it. That we have Roberts as a change/option/alternative is great.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m as biased as they come but from my angle Yeboah grabbed their player with both hands, clear foul.

Pushed him in the end sure but Pieters seemed to have him in a bearhug almost..maybe not nothing much wrong with it but initial contact?

Don't think it would have been a gamechanger anyway so.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

With Yeboah trying to run forward, this is what I saw from my seat. For me there nothing wrong from EY , he shrugs the defender off, yet the defender gets the foul.

Screenshot2023-09-17at21_34_05.png.22548656b2bbaf4fe5dbbbe2c64a34e0.png

Yeah looked like the defender makes the initial foul, which was missed, then Yeboah retaliates and it is spotted.

• Like 2