IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion at home match thread

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On another note, thought the atmosphere was okay today. Not amazing but certainly okay.

"RED ARMY" came across quite loud at times, atmosphere waxed and wained but was okay.

Could barely hear our singing section today.  We need to start singing the classics, get more participation.

keep the red flag flying high

drink up there cider

etc

47 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

xG has been discussed to death on here and even its most ardent fans admit it’s flawed. Their chance doesn’t take into account that it’s an open goal, only where it was struck from.  xG is a good idea, executed poorly.  I’d say trust your eyes over xG. 

I accept it can be used in the wrong way, but it's not that flawed in terms of individual shot analysis.

Your description and understanding of xG is more seriously flawed. The 0.16 is Fotmob's number, which uses Opta's xG model, which accounts for goalie position, as well as defensive pressure and a bunch of other qualities. It's far more than just "only where it was struck from".

I'd say accept the fact that you and your eyes are biased and flawed and allow xG to sometimes correct your perception. It wasn't as clear cut a chance as you might think.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I accept it can be used in the wrong way, but it's not that flawed in terms of individual shot analysis.

Your description and understanding of xG is more seriously flawed. The 0.16 is Fotmob's number, which uses Opta's xG model, which accounts for goalie position, as well as defensive pressure and a bunch of other qualities. It's far more than just "only where it was struck from".

I'd say accept the fact that you and your eyes are biased and flawed and allow xG to sometimes correct your perception. It wasn't as clear cut a chance as you might think.

Have to agree to disagree. Their miss was much more surprising than Cornicks in my opinion 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Pring should have been subbed, hes legs are gone.

Got to say, Bell left him exposed so many times second half.  Too often thinking of pressing Ajayi or the keeper, when he’s no chance of picking off a pass…leaving Furlong in acres.  It became worse when Maja came on and Pring trying to cover Naismith a bit too.

Game-intelligence lacking from Bell there.  He looked tired too.  I bet Pring was relieved we went into a back 3 system.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

xG has been discussed to death on here and even its most ardent fans admit it’s flawed. Their chance doesn’t take into account that it’s an open goal, only where it was struck from.  xG is a good idea, executed poorly.  I’d say trust your eyes over xG. 

It’s evolving Dave, crickets Review system took several years to get as good as it is.  Certain companies like Statsbomb give West Brom’s chance a high score.

As I keep saying, it depends what you want to use it for.

Cornick’s chance as a fan you’d describe as “gilt-edged”, “must score”, but when Wells can miss v Brum…it shows that over thousands of similar(ish) chances that we over-value chances.

I wouldn’t say it’s flawed, I’d say it’s evolving.  If you want to take one chance in isolation, you’re using it wrong.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

My big question in that game is why Pearson waited so long to bring on subs when it became obvious we were hardly able to get the ball out of our half midway through the second half?  Fresh legs were needed after the high intensity first half. West Brom showed what that could do. 

I'm satisfied with our performance. Just think Pearson took too long to shape it up. 

I think some of it was because who the fresh legs were and who needed replacing.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They did make a difference however. Started to get more breaks into their half. 

Agree.

I guess my point if you’re doing “straight swaps”, would you take Sykes off (decent game again) on the hour for Yeboah?  I thought Wells was playing well too, so Cornick for him, might seem harsh, done so early.

I know it’s one player, but TGH’s return on Tuesday opens up options, even if it’s to give Williams a rest (from starting).

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

I guess my point if you’re doing “straight swaps”, would you take Sykes off (decent game again) on the hour for Yeboah?  I thought Wells was playing well too, so Cornick for him, might seem harsh, done so early.

I know it’s one player, but TGH’s return on Tuesday opens up options, even if it’s to give Williams a rest (from starting).

GT did okay at rb, so hopefully np won't automatically replace him with TGH if the midfield need is greater. Especially since TGH *is* a midfielder.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s evolving Dave, crickets Review system took several years to get as good as it is.  Certain companies like Statsbomb give West Brom’s chance a high score.

As I keep saying, it depends what you want to use it for.

Cornick’s chance as a fan you’d describe as “gilt-edged”, “must score”, but when Wells can miss v Brum…it shows that over thousands of similar(ish) chances that we over-value chances.

I wouldn’t say it’s flawed, I’d say it’s evolving.  If you want to take one chance in isolation, you’re using it wrong.

I wouldn’t describe it as gilt edged, must score at all. There’s a whole thread where people are saying that’s not the case.  

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think some of it was because who the fresh legs were and who needed replacing.

I looked at the bench and there wasn't an obvious change. That bench is looking very slim atm , better with McCrorie & TGH available.
I thought Pring was playing well, so I didn't see a straight swap there. Maybe Bell for Roberts might have been a call.
I'm looking forward to seeing Yeboah get some serious minutes , he looks strong and quick and no shrinking violet.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeez said:

Could barely hear our singing section today.  We need to start singing the classics, get more participation.

drink up there cider

etc

They were both sung today in the singing section,

You do know you could start them off where you are, instead of waiting for others to do it for you?

People can’t constantly moan about the atmosphere without doing anything proactive about it. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Yeboah get some serious minutes , he looks strong and quick and no shrinking violet.

He terrorised the Norwich defence when he came on in the cup ga.e. Quick. Direct. Fearless.

When he gets the ball facing up an opponent you will see how good he is.

Possibly not a starter for a while just because the defensive side his game isn't going to be all that given his age/experience.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jeez said:

drink up there cider

etc

I heard this on more then one occasion from people around me today about the songs that were being sang 

I know it's the modern way but there is, still, a real hardcore support around the ground that would get behind the more retro songs , I can't remember last time I heard hello hello we are the city boys for example at Ashton gate 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

I heard this on more then one occasion from people around me today about the songs that were being sang 

I know it's the modern way but there is, still, a real hardcore support around the ground that would get behind the more retro songs , I can't remember last time I heard hello hello we are the city boys for example at Ashton gate 

Yeah, definitely has been a shift away from the retro songs at Ashton gate in recent years. Hear more of them at away games than you do at home.

I am not gonna go through every post on this subject.............but i can be certain that it has been raised previously.   What an outstanding performance today from a hardworking committed City side.................all we lack is a goalscorer!   And with 25 mill in the bank and Tommy out injured....there can be NO excuse for either a loan player or a signing NOT to have come in.  I know all about wage restraints..........yadda yadda, whatever.............  You cannot win the league in the first half dozen games, but you can certainly make it far more difficult to establish yourselves in a prominent position by a lack of ambition?   5 goals in six games is poor.......and so is 1 goal in 3 Home games IMO.   It sounds hackneyed and old hat, but the sentiment is still apposite?   " For the want of a nail, the kingdom was lost"    Please don't ask me who Nail plays for?

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I looked at the bench and there wasn't an obvious change. That bench is looking very slim atm , better with McCrorie & TGH available.
I thought Pring was playing well, so I didn't see a straight swap there. Maybe Bell for Roberts might have been a call.

Pring started looking really tired in the last 20 so I think he had to come off

Went today with my grandson and what a really good performance by city. Thought esp. First half composed with good game plan and attacking intent. Midfield improving by the game. Bell worked hard but needs Conway in support and Nakhi worked his self hard as always. Thought Cornick unlucky hit too well mishit that it fly's in. The lack of goals is worrying as we do miss Conway. Why some of the Scott money could not have loan to cover this is a bad mistake. Was in Lansdown family bit W9 and atmosphere in the ground seemed really poor. Heard very little singing which surprised me as city were good today. Maybe it was where we were . Not go there before. I do feel Plymouth is no give me Tuesday. But we not doing bad so far. Not great but we showing decent signs .And I really enjoyed today which I can't say I have at the gate so far this season 

COYR

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Have to agree to disagree. Their miss was much more surprising than Cornicks in my opinion 

Fine to disagree I guess, but look at it again at least.

Firstly, it's not even an open goal. Townsend is stretching for the ball (and ends up on his arse sliding over the dead all line), which has been hit low and at pace. O'Leary is actually in an ok position and is moving in the direction of his far post, narrowing the angle.

A chance that's easy in the memory, but harder on review, and harder than Cornick's chance - which was the only point I was making.

If you want a player missing an open goal then get yourself over to Sykes hitting the post. xG gave that a 0.29 btw, because it accounts for the fact that Palmer was way out of position.

Screenshot_20230917-061806.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Flames 1
9 hours ago, Bow Legged Chicken said:

You can’t get more ‘retro’ than their Cornick song attempt. Herman’s effing Hermits FFS! I’m a fan of Cornick and would like to encourage him to score a goal. Hurry up Harry, Come on… Then we can all join in with the chorus “We’re going down the pub…” About 15 years less retro than “I’m into Something Good!”

Yes mate, I'd love to hear that one belted out. Start it off on Tuesday night!