IGNORED

Naismith tackle…

formerly known as ivan

Seeing a thread on Vyner’s unbelievable challenge in the first half, I thought Naismith’s in the second half is worth a discussion.

For me, it’s a clear pen. Straight through the man to win the ball. A cliché saying in football but anywhere else on the pitch and that’s a free kick.

Got away with one on that occasion I feel.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

If that's their defender, I'm shouting for a Pen. From where we are it looked a great challenge and even watching the replay I would say if the Ref gives a foul he's guessing. VAR may have a different idea after slowing it down and looking 30 times, but as I said , there is no way the Ref could be sure it's man first. Even then the contact with man & ball are so close together I think it would be hard to give with the naked eye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Perfect tackle. Never a penalty.

Never a penalty for me either. I get that feeling had it of been in the Prem though and VAR would probably of given it. Certainly seen those types of challenges given in the Prem through VAR..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The ref was good to be fair today,allowed tackles that would be pulled up elsewhere 

I thought he was lenient towards them. That break where they tried 3 times to stop us with fouls, then Cam was pulled back but got up & Ref waves play on. Nailed on booking if he stops play, why not after he waves advantage ?
Yeboah getting dragged then throws the bloke off and he gets penalised . 
Bell flattened but nothing ? 
Just seemed to lean their way  a bit IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought he was lenient towards them. That break where they tried 3 times to stop us with fouls, then Cam was pulled back but got up & Ref waves play on. Nailed on booking if he stops play, why not after he waves advantage ?

I thought he was about as good as you’ll ever see to be fair. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

No ref is perfect but he was the best I have seen for a long time down the gate

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a real interesting one to debate.  Plays Assante’s leg first, before cleaning up the ball and man.

The bit that is difficult, is there is no rule re contact = pen.  Contact is allowed.

So it’s certainly not clearcut.

I can clear it up for you Dave........ What did the referee give?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

As we all do on the sidelines,it’s a easy job sat in the stands 

The fact is the ref has three assistants, but do they ever communicate with them, other than for throw ins or how much additional time to put on the board?

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s a penalty. I thought so at the time and I think so after watching the replay. 
Naismith comes from slightly behind and comes through the man to get the ball. 
If that was against us, we’d be moaning about not getting penalties. 

IMG_4039.jpeg

....but we don't get penalties!!!!

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s a penalty. I thought so at the time and I think so after watching the replay. 

IMG_4039.jpeg

Christ I feel a USYK Dubios low punch thread coming on here with different angles 

3 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

The fact is the ref has three assistants, but do they ever communicate with them, other than for throw ins or how much additional time to put on the board?

....but we don't get penalties!!!!

Had it been in the prem then we would of all been sat around for 5 minutes while they discussed it and @Superwould of been fuming that there was a extra 10 minutes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was sat at the front of W1 in the Upper Lansdown today and had a decent view of it. Real time it looked like a cracker of a tackle and what made it better was not only was it the last minute and the game was 0-0, it was that it was right in front of the Baggies fans who were p1ssy for real about it.

If he gets it wrong, it’s a pen and a red so no margin for error (like when Tanner mis-timed his on Phillips and clattered him) so well done Kal.

Goes without saying though that if that’s at the other end, it’s a nailed on pen ?

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes, I thought he was better than we've seen at AG for some time.

There were a couple of decisions he didn’t give for Joe Williams first half, one a shove in the back as he went to chest it, the other he got straight-armed across the throat chasing a ball into the channel.

But he was pretty decent in fairness.

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

IMG_4039.jpeg

I tend to agree. In real time, the contact with the player is only a fraction of a second before contact with the ball, so a very difficult one for the ref to be certain about either way without the benefit of a slow motion replay or VAR. Sometimes there’s a very fine line between a brilliant tackle and a foul, and this is a classic example.