IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think it was probably included because of his RB interview the other week where he appeared to give Nige no credit. 

Had that line of not been included then rumours would have been about him and Nige not getting along.

He had a job to protect when he did the RB interview. He didn't when he made yesterday's statement. Whilst not a direct dig at Lansdown it seems very clear to me

• Like 4

How many CEO's is that in the last 3 years, 3?  Major red flags if that was in another industry, it really does seem as though there is something seriously amiss with the oversight of this club, and it's going to make it all the more difficult to attract top candidates as the first question they will be asking is 'what the hell is going on!'

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Believe that Gilhespy & the bloke running Project Whitebeam (who used to be City Cat!) are both mates of the chairman.

What is blindingly obvious & I was thinking this on Saturday watching our shape out of possession & how well coached we appear, is that those brought in by Nige, so Fleming, Euell and Rennie are bloody good at their jobs.

No evidence of bluffers or mates getting jobs on a spurious basis.

What is Project Whitebeam?

• Hmmm 1

52 minutes ago, mozo said:

What is the comparison with Ipswich here? Similar sized club and mostly been stinking out the football league for the past decades. US investors saw it as a project they'd like to take on and so far with good success. Aren't the obstacles at Ipswich similar to those here? 

Ipswich are bigger than us historically but how much their American Owners would look at the medium and long term past who knows.

In their favour was a club in a strong FFP position. Lots of headroom. See also Hull.

We are now only reaching that point. If a new Owner takes over a club with £xm in accumulated losses in the last 2 years then they just stick to the 3 year limit in Year 3, plus a takeover must take account of the existing financial position.

As with existing Owners a new Owner must submit next 2 years worth of expected financial results. This will impact upon the attractiveness of a takeover, League also have such monitoring powers as they see fit to try and ensure compliance- prospective new Owners must agree to this.

It is all in the Owners and Directors Test which seems to tighten up by the year. Point is a new Owner would have been hamstrung had they taken over in 2021 or 2022. Would you want that as a new Owner?

"Welcome to your new club but you can't actually spend on players until you sell and in fact you might breach on current trajectories".

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

How many CEO's is that in the last 3 years, 3?  Major red flags if that was in another industry, it really does seem as though there is something seriously amiss with the oversight of this club, and it's going to make it all the more difficult to attract top candidates as the first question they will be asking is 'what the hell is going on!'

I think the point was made earlier in the thread but the “3 in 3 years” isn’t really a reflective spin. We had one CEO (Ashton) who had been here for several years and reached the end of his shelf life. Gould then took over and only left because he got offered his dream job. 

Clearly something has gone amiss with Alexander - whether that’s bad recruitment or something else remains to be seen, but Ashton and Gould going in quick succession, considering the length of the formers tenure and reason for leaving of the latter, isn’t really a red flag when you look beneath the surface.

• Like 16

Is this not a chance for a brand new song for Tuesday night?  In recognition of Alexander's achievements?

I was thinking of 4.33' but I'm not sure everyone would join in.  Therefore, how about:

"Alexander, Alexander,

He's not great,

But nor is he a mate,

(South Stand) Of Jon's, (Lansdown Stand) Of Jon's, (Dolman Stand) Of Jon's,

So he's left Ashton Gate."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Just been reliably informed by my postman that the reason he was”sacked” was because he was completely shyte at his job, all seems fair enough to me ?

This is at least what people around the club understand. People are moulding this to suit their own agendas/opinions around Lansdown (don’t disagree with a lot of what’s being said) but on this occasion I think it was genuinely a case of SL acting early on someone who was underperforming. Far easier to join up those dots than the more conspiratorial ones. Pretty much a whole thread thought he sounded clueless giving the RB interview. He certainly didn’t live up to Gould who by all accounts was a really impressive CEO and person, but most importantly a great fit for City. Following him was probably part of the issue too. Perhaps after so long in the game and at higher levels PA couldn’t find the passion to give the role his all here. It happens.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

This is at least what people around the club understand. People are moulding this to suit their own agendas/opinions around Lansdown (don’t disagree with a lot of what’s being said) but on this occasion I think it was genuinely a case of SL acting early on someone who was underperforming. Far easier to join up those dots than the more conspiratorial ones. Pretty much a whole thread thought he sounded clueless giving the RB interview. He certainly didn’t live up to Gould who by all accounts was a really impressive CEO and person, but most importantly a great fit for City. Following him was probably part of the issue too. Perhaps after so long in the game and at higher levels PA couldn’t find the passion to give the role his all here. It happens.

Which is what you’ve just done.

??‍♂️

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think roughly six months ago, there was a excellent thread on sl which sadly got closed, anyway I Reckon support for SL was 50, 50 then, reading this forum the last few weeks I Reckon its 80/20 who have clearly had enough. 

As you say that’s just on this forum, I was discussing this on Saturday with six others and five of us still backed SL so as David Brent would say that’s 71.4% of the population ?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

As you say that’s just on this forum, I was discussing this on Saturday with six others and five of us still backed SL so as David Brent would say that’s 71.4% of the population ?

The problem I have is that I don't know what I'm backing if I don't "back" SL.

I don't want absolutely any change as there are lots which I think would be worse for a whole host of reasons.

But I also think SL has pretty much run his course - and I don't want to support him just due to fear of the possible alternative. I hoped a few strong characters around SL, like Nige, would have gradually helped him hand over the reins and become the benevolent owner passively watching from the stands with our undying gratitude, like he should be.

That doesn't look likely though, so I don't know what to think now! One of the options is a total unknown.

• Like 15
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

I don't want absolutely any change as there are lots which I think would be worse for a whole host of reasons.

But I also think SL has pretty much run his course - and I don't want to support him just due to fear of the possible alternative. I hoped a few strong characters around SL, like Nige, would have gradually helped him hand over the reins and become the benevolent owner passively watching from the stands with our undying gratitude, like he should be.

That doesn't look likely though, so I don't know what to think now! One of the options is a total unknown.

I completely agree, we might end up with some right rogue very similar to what’s happened with Reading when Majedski left

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Likewise most supporters that I have spoken to in recent months spend little time worrying about CEO’s or Chairmen or owners and unlike many of us on here don’t have the time nor enthusiasm for endless conspiracy theories. They will read that Alexander has left and only have a passing interest in who replaces him. Off the pitch issues (other than the price and selection of match day food and drink) tend to concern a vocal minority but just fly past many supporters who only care about results and match days. Ashton, Gould, Alexander or Jon L and his predecessors have all been of little interest to many supporters and will remain so. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I completely agree, we might end up with some right rogue very similar to what’s happened with Reading when Majedski left

Or we might not.

Everyone making this argument always catastrophizes that we’ll get another “insert name of crap owner here”.

Loads of clubs have changed ownership, some improve as a result, some don’t but saying this is just covering half of the argument.

FWIW I think SL’s not that interested any more, he wants to sell but is setting conditions that are precluding interest, when loads of other clubs are charging hands.

We will tread water (at best) now if he sticks around, he is incredibly naive if he actually believes this “live completely within your means” nonsense.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If you put all the recent goings ons together then it does look like a takeover could be imminent. However the total lack of any rumours doesn't make me think there could be. However these things are of course subject to confidentiality. 

New owners often bring in their own people. So that could make sense, especially as the club didn't include "we will now begin a vigorous recruitment process" in the statement.

Looking for good human beings. 

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

This is really well put. Despite my criticism of SL, and my belief that change is needed, I wouldn’t say I don’t “back” or “support” him because I do still believe his intentions are broadly positive. This isn’t a Steve Dale scenario.

And the change I mention is only worth pursuing if it’s positive change.

Ironically, despite everything SL’s most important Bristol City decision has still yet to be made and we really do need him to get this one right… and that’s who he eventually decides to sell to!

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

This is really well put. Despite my criticism of SL, and my belief that change is needed, I wouldn’t say I don’t “back” or “support” him because I do still believe his intentions are broadly positive. This isn’t a Steve Dale scenario.

Ironically, despite everything SL’s most important Bristol City decision has still yet to be made and we really do need him to get this one right… and that’s who he eventually decides to sell to!

Oh blimey. When you put it like that let’s hope his decision making over a successor is better than his managerial appointments! 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the point was made earlier in the thread but the “3 in 3 years” isn’t really a reflective spin. We had one CEO (Ashton) who had been here for several years and reached the end of his shelf life. Gould then took over and only left because he got offered his dream job. 

Clearly something has gone amiss with Alexander - whether that’s bad recruitment or something else remains to be seen, but Ashton and Gould going in quick succession, considering the length of the formers tenure and reason for leaving of the latter, isn’t really a red flag when you look beneath the surface.

I politely disagree, you are only considering one aspect of impact, 3 CEO's regardless of how when or why they left is terrible from a cultural point of view.  

The rest of the business are are going to get a 4th person at the healm soon with new ideas, and things will no doubt change again, as they will have done under the previous 2 CEO's.  

There is complete uncertainty at the moment as you can't trust that whoever comes in will stick around either.  This again is not great for the culture of the business.

If we want to get to the Prem then we need to be all on the same page across the board, from the top down, we need consistency and longevity, not chopping and changing, whether the CEO had a valid reason to leave it not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Is this not a chance for a brand new song for Tuesday night?  In recognition of Alexander's achievements?

I was thinking of 4.33' but I'm not sure everyone would join in.  Therefore, how about:

"Alexander, Alexander,

He's not great,

But nor is he a mate,

(South Stand) Of Jon's, (Lansdown Stand) Of Jon's, (Dolman Stand) Of Jon's,

So he's left Ashton Gate."

IMG_4752.jpeg

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Or we might not.

Everyone making this argument always catastrophizes that we’ll get another “insert name of crap owner here”.

Loads of clubs have changed ownership, some improve as a result, some don’t but saying this is just covering half of the argument.

FWIW I think SL’s not that interested any more, he wants to sell but is setting conditions that are precluding interest, when loads of other clubs are charging hands.

We will tread water (at best) now if he sticks around, he is incredibly naive if he actually believes this “live completely within your means” nonsense.

I agree. We shouldn't be afraid of change or the unknown.

The Lansdowns' dedication to the club and their financial support are undeniable. However, it's evident that something has changed over the past five years (particularly post COVID). Steve Lansdown used to be more engaged with fans and had a clearer vision for the future, which seems to have faded.

We shouldn't shy away from the idea of new ownership. Crystal Palace, for instance, thrived under new owners after facing administration, securing over a decade in the Premier League.

Ultimately, Bristol City offers an appealing investment opportunity to an investor, and there aren’t that many clubs in the same position. With a modern stadium, best in class training facilities, a substantial fan base, and minimal debt (except that owed to the Lansdowns), we’re ready to step up but need that added investment and expertise to make the jump.

Edited by Pedrowe
  • Like 4
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

@GrahamC has already answered the first part of what I was gonna write.

The second bit is:

if SL sold us to a rogue (we can each define what we mean by this), what would you think of SL?  A good owner doesn’t sell to a rogue, do they?

So, if you think SL is a good owner, why would you worry about who the new owner is?  Surely good-old SL has the club at heart, doesn’t he?

He has always said he won’t just sell it to anyone, so again why the worry.

Its only my view, although it’s a strong one, but I just don’t buy the “be careful what you wish for” sentiment on here / Twitter.

If you genuinely think he’d sell us to a rogue, I think you should change you view / support of SL!

(imho)

15 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Well put.  You should write for a living!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which is what you’ve just done.

??‍♂️

Is it? I wasn’t aware I had an agenda around Lansdown either way, I’m fairly neutral towards the guy. He’s made mistakes and continues to make them. I’m more in the stick than twist camp because of associated risks but I understand most angles from the anti-SL camp. I guess from my previous posts you’re suggesting I come across as an OTT pro-Sl’er. I’m not, I just try to focus on the situations at hand and struggle with the way oddly dark intentions are often assumed of SL/JL. I just don’t buy it because I believe that broadly speaking, and from having conversations with people who know and have worked with them closely, the Lancdowns, despite their howlers, have the good of the club at heart. Maybe that’s the fundamental disagreement, which is fine. 

Based on the posts I see from you, you’re far more accomplished at basing perspective on the evidence/actual situation at hand than myself, particularly in the heat of post match (which is bloody hard), so it confuses me when I see you suggesting things like PA has gone because he wanted to give Nige a contract and Lansdown didn’t! That’s a real deep bitterness and pettiness you’re suggesting SL holds towards Pearson, that he would dismiss a senior executive primarily because of a personal vendetta. I guess I’d like to know what is that actually based on? It just seems to me that it’s beyond reading between the lines and drifting into completely unfounded speculative territory. If he was capable of that sort of thing then with a life spent in business and football I think it would be more generally understood that he is a bit of a ***. There’d be more cases of similar conduct to point to. The truth has a way of escaping these days. We all know the stories around MA, who is genuinely the type of man to sack someone based on personal vendettas. So I do think the dark conspiratorial assumptions are unfair and I tend to call them out. Still don’t really see that as an agenda. 

Goes without saying this isn’t a dig as I always enjoy your takes regardless if I disagree. 

• Like 6