IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Otoh owners are happy in the main to fund it, especially if they want promotion.

OK, lets guess that the club needs to raise £10 million a year.  Do you honestly believe that you can find say 10,000 people to contribute £1,000 above their season ticket every year for the infinite future?  Even if you can that is far less than SL is contributing and on here he is a miser who needs to open his wallet even further.

• Like 3

I just hope that PA or one of his family members isn’t seriously ill, causing him to step down. Anything else is just business and we’ll find a replacement in due course so I can’t get too concerned about it. I also don’t read too much into his statement referencing NP and BT but not the Lansdowns: 1. It was a club statement so it was agreed with the club; 2. It was referring to the ‘team’ being in safe hands (it wasn’t about the board/ownership); and 3. I think the message was deliberate, ie reassurance that his departure won’t muck up on the pitch performance as NP and BT have that covered. 

Edited by eardun
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

And who would fund the £30 million odd a year needed to pay the bills and get the squad necessary for promotion.  Assuming there are 10,000 fans able to pay the bills that's a £3,500 annual season ticket.  Total pipe dream.  Shows a complete lack of reality.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I guess my answer is money, control and the human condition.

Whoever owns and runs this or any other club needs to pump millions into it every year to keep it afloat. Generally people who have millions and who put millions into businesses want to control that business. 

I know that a billion pounds is more than any single human needs to live in luxury. I know he could, feasibly, give away control, use half his fortune to establish a trust to generate funds for the club, and still live like an emperor. But he won't do that. He's a human.

So in short he has to sell because he has to sell. He has to relinquish control because those who are in a position to buy from him will demand it.

Sure, it was a bit of hyperbole really wasn't it. I guess what I really meant is selling but while doing so also ensuring that fans get a real say in the club - some kind of guaranteed board membership, golden share, whatever it is.

That might devalue the club but again, why does that matter to him! (For the record I think you're probably spot on @ExiledAjax)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Even if you can that is far less than SL is contributing and on here he is a miser who needs to open his wallet even further.

Is anybody saying that though? It's entirely Steve's prerogative to reduce the amount he puts into the club. I don't see how he can be criticised for that.

The issue for me is confusion over the strategy. Saying on the one hand that what football makes football can spend then saying actually we want to build a nest egg to be used at some unspecified point is contradictory.

Why not just communicate the strategy with clarity?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, Hxj said:

OK, lets guess that the club needs to raise £10 million a year.  Do you honestly believe that you can find say 10,000 people to contribute £1,000 above their season ticket every year for the infinite future?  Even if you can that is far less than SL is contributing and on here he is a miser who needs to open his wallet even further.

Apologies I totally misread. Yes quite Fan owned is lovely in principle, impossible in practice at this level..unless there was a consortium of very wealthy City fans and a large one at that, it ain't happening.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

I’ve no idea what the craic is with Phil Alexander but to me it’s becoming clearer and clearer that SL in general is succession planning and preparing the club for a sale.

A previous poster compared us to Ipswich pre their takeover and commented that they were appealing FFP-wise. Is that not what SL might be doing now, getting finances in order? Yet, everyone’s slagging him off for not pushing the budget. Isn’t a sale what these same people want?!

I think people just want to know what the hell is going on. Communication has been terrible and we're left to make up our own versions of the truth.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Is anybody saying that though? It's entirely Steve's prerogative to reduce the amount he puts into the club. I don't see how he can be criticised for that.

I must be reading a different forum to you then.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Saying on the one hand that what football makes football can spend then saying actually we want to build a nest egg to be used at some unspecified point is contradictory.

How much has football made over the last 10 years?  It has many 'Scots' to go to even look at breaking even.

14 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I must be reading a different forum to you then.

Maybe I am but I don't see demands for Steve to put in yet more of his money.

How much has football made over the last 10 years?  It has many 'Scots' to go to even look at breaking even.

True but Steve has not said that is the aim. If it is then say so; it's a legitimate aim whether fans like it or not.

What football makes football can spend seems pretty unequivocal, though I would only use a fairly small proportion and bank the majority. Even saying we want to build a nest egg implies we are going to spend it in due course anyway.

As I say things are not at all clear.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

I thought he was very measured in his responses.

Agreed.  Owers clearly didn’t want to speculate.   But if the CEO had left for personal reasons, be it travel, family illness etc, it would have been straightforward for both the club and Mr Alexander to issue statements saying he was leaving for personal reasons.  The fact that neither did, to my mind implies there was some form of disagreement.

• Like 7

There is one more thing I should add and this is in no way an argument against a takeover.

What will be of interest and not just for us, with this type of owner that comes in is what happens when the short to medium term promotion goal fails.

How patient would Marinakis have been at Nottingham Forest e.g. and willing to accept retrenchment ad they failed. Tbh he has some kind of Football background with Olympiakos but better examples.

Once things went wrong for Derby they went disastrously! Reading and Sheffield Wednesday post the failure in the first 3-4 years also unravelled.

The loopholes to prolong the expenditure in the hope of getting up before the music stops have been shut. Stadium, Training Ground or any Fixed Asset sale profits up longer are relevant. The whole Reading type loophole has been shut ie shares in a property company owned by the club or consolidator .

Debt write offs are no longer relevant to FFP, if they ever were.

This means that kicking the can down the road in pursuit of promotion and trying to swerve FFP is now harder.

Back to the main point, I quite like the style of Ilicai but how long will he remain patient if in 18 months time Hull still at this level and retrenchment must begin.

None of us can truly know how patient an owner would be before they lost interest, once promotion within 3-4 seasons didn't materialise etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Sure, it was a bit of hyperbole really wasn't it. I guess what I really meant is selling but while doing so also ensuring that fans get a real say in the club - some kind of guaranteed board membership, golden share, whatever it is.

That might devalue the club but again, why does that matter to him! (For the record I think you're probably spot on @ExiledAjax)

The only club in the league that I know if that come close to it is Exeter. That situation was born from crisis rather than a magically benevolent billionaire. They "spend what they earn" and are owned by their SC&T. They have professional directors.

They have about 3,500 member owners who pay £24 a year. £84,000 a year total. Their main income stream is selling academy players.

It works at L1/L2 level with Exeter's modest facilities. They need to generate something like an average of £3m in sales each season. We would need £20-25m. Would it work for us...I struggle to see it.

In a fantasy world Steve could take £500m, stick it in a trust, and if that trust generated just a 5% return then that is £25m per annum. Rudimentary fag packet finances there but it could work. It won't happen though.

The sad reality seems to be that fan ownership/fan running of clubs only comes about through crisis. We had our crisis in 1982 and although fans rallied round we didn't quite get in place the kind of fan involvement that other clubs have.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Hxj said:

And who would fund the £30 million odd a year needed to pay the bills and get the squad necessary for promotion.  Assuming there are 10,000 fans able to pay the bills that's a £3,500 annual season ticket.  Total pipe dream.  Shows a complete lack of reality.

The "nest egg" will fund this, and more. Source: Steve Lansdown, 2023. Try and keep up, mate

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

If yer a billionaire, mate, you can have whatever you want on yer shroud. Trust me. You could have "City til I die," or "My money, my club" on yer shroud, as well as pockets ....

Well, as is almost tradition, it's time for a HMHB reference.

Grafting Haddock In The George.

I never thought about the future
Or what I would become
Didn’t care – still don’t
For as far as I’m aware
They don’t stitch pockets into shrouds

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I think people just want to know what the hell is going on. Communication has been terrible and we're left to make up our own versions of the truth.

No need for this silence from the club. We were told why Sextone, Ashton, and Gould left. So why not Alexander .

47 minutes ago, Street red said:

Let's be like Luton!!

All we need to do is get to the Premier League and beat Swindon's record (they played 42 games so some configuration require).

Beating Cardiff's best ever points tally would be my second target! I don't know what that is.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

All we need to do is get to the Premier League and beat Swindon's record (they played 42 games so some configuration require).

Beating Cardiff's best ever points tally would be my second target! I don't know what that is.

Let's get a home win in the Championship first?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tbh Luton nearly went bust and were non League within the last decade. Got to top flight with a probably midtable budget for this level. Only got promoted back to the League in 2013-14. No wealthy benefactor.

No I don't think it is a model we should follow but the laughter is a bit rich tbh.  They have every opportunity to come back down stronger.

• Like 3