IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

On 26/09/2023 at 11:35, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you haven't it is well worth a watch! 

Watching that highlights to me how far away off the pitch we are of being a premier league club. We need someone just like Paul Barber, instead we choose to get rid of the CEO role. 

Remarkable what a winning organisation they have built. Just how deep it goes.

Tony Bloom is clearly a very astute man but there is an irony that the successful professional gambler has built a more solid business behind his football club than the successful businessman has.

• Like 4

On 26/09/2023 at 11:35, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you haven't it is well worth a watch! 

Watching that highlights to me how far away off the pitch we are of being a premier league club. We need someone just like Paul Barber, instead we choose to get rid of the CEO role. 

Thanks for sharing that, what an insightful watch. 

For me, how they approach things - from ticketing to atmosphere, succession planning to the boardroom and much more - is poles apart from how we do things. And it only reinforces my view that we will achieve nothing under the Lansdowns unless we are very lucky or they copy Brighton’s approach (not that I’m advocating copying anyone). 

Edited by tin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The present day! I'm guessing Rolls is now either  eing lucky that players are not currently suffering long term injuries or he's changed his methods?

Likewise, has Ashton accumulated a hodge podge squad by spending the US dollars on a scattergun transfer policy, which the manager is struggling to juggle, or has he too learnt a lesson about working with managers and transfer dealings in general.

My angle; playing devil's advocate, for the obvious reason that the current ascent of Ipswich, and their fit squad, doesn't align with the expectations of most of our fans, myself included.

I'm only bringing this up again because Ashton and Rolls keep popping up in recent posts on this thread.

FWIW, our current strength and conditioning coach, Paddy Orme, who worked under Rolls, admitted that Rolls and Holden got the 20-21 “pre-season” preparation wrong (after mini-pre-season they had for covid 19-20).

They thought the 19-20 mini-pre-season would top up levels and the players could have a less intense 20-21 pre-season as a result. Basically they got it wrong, the players hadn’t built up the levels required, started breaking down (hamstrings, thigh / quad), and then recurring also.

So, 1) you’d expect a professional “physio” to learn from that, but 2) he hasn’t had another Covid season to prove he has.  He may of course 3) have put that to good effect in 21/22 with the World Cup break, but Ipswich were in Lg1 so they didn’t break-up for several weeks like the PL / Champ.

So, Rolls (via Orme) admits they got it wrong.  

None of us will have any idea whether he’s changed his methods, he / they made a mistake over post-covid.  Shit happens, bad shit for some players.  That didn’t make him Dr Death like some would make out though.

As for Ashton and transfers, I think he’s working for an ownership group (Game Changer / Phoenix whatever) who can spot a bullshitter.  If you watch any of the interviews from the Pension Fund owner Mark Steed (especially at the end of 21/22 season which didn’t go to plan), I wouldn’t want to try to bluff him or lose the pension fund a load of money.  It would be like a scene out of “Deliverance” 😮.  I get the impression Ashton was being managed carefully after season 1.  On the football side he has a manager with a playing identity and style.  Go figure! 😉. In season 1 I think he had a manager he didn’t want and didn’t want to be there.

Compare to his time at City…it’s quite a contrast.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

So, firstly Ipswich don’t actually have an injury free squad, their first choice keeper Christian Walton hasn’t played a single game this season yet..

Secondly they have started very well, but it is 8 games, so seems a bit early to be thinking they’re racing off into the distance.

They do have an excellent manager, a very shrewd choice, so whoever was responsible for that made a good decision.

I still believe Ashton leaves clubs in a worse position than he inherited (Watford fans think this, as well) but it’s a free country so if you want to think he’s great, that’s your prerogative.

And Oxford fans too.

They are doing better than expected, their “data” justifies their good / excellent start.  But it’s a long season as you say.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

It beggars belief that the guy has made so much money running a company that adheres to FSA regulations but can't run a football club into a successful position even before FFP came into the game, not that FFP should be an obstacle to a man with fiscal blood running through his veins.

I reckon it MUST have been 90% Hargreaves !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So, firstly Ipswich don’t actually have an injury free squad, their first choice keeper Christian Walton hasn’t played a single game this season yet..

Secondly they have started very well, but it is 8 games, so seems a bit early to be thinking they’re racing off into the distance.

They do have an excellent manager, a very shrewd choice, so whoever was responsible for that made a good decision.

I still believe Ashton leaves clubs in a worse position than he inherited (Watford fans think this, as well) but it’s a free country so if you want to think he’s great, that’s your prerogative.

"If you think he's great..." 🤣

You've really sensationalised my comments there, which is fun!

I suggested that the performance of Ipswich is way ahead of our expectations, but if that's a touchy subject I can leave it?

At this very moment in time it doesn't look like Ashton is crippling the club, or Rolls is crippling the players, so it's an interesting thing to consider in a free country or any other kind of country!

Just to recap on my previous posts because I don't think you saw them all. I said that all of the squad are in training now. So the two that were recently injured, including the goalie that you mentioned, are now training.

I also stated that Ipswich could fall away!

Again it seems to be a culture war; you're either on this side or that? As I said, I'm surprised, hence I ask questions.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

oh I thought he was being sarcastic!

49 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why have they been so successful? Was my take. 

I guess we need @mozo to confirm whether that’s what he means, and is he attributing to Ashton and Rolls.

As you’ll know from previous posts over the years and my one above, I never saw Rolls as a crap physio, despite all the crap banded about.

And even though I really dislike Ashton, I’ve been consistent in my “blame” of the “collective” of SL, JL, MA and LJ (I often forget JL, but he’s culpable) during their time here, not one individual.

I think I’d see Ashton as a facilitator, like I might Gould or Alexander.

Success on the pitch is ultimately down to having good players and a good manager.  How you get (recruit / develop your own) good players can be facilitated by others, and on the flip, be hindered.

Personally I’d be giving McKenna and the players a lot of the credit for their very promising start.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess we need @mozo to confirm whether that’s what he means, and is he attributing to Ashton and Rolls.

As you’ll know from previous posts over the years and my one above, I never saw Rolls as a crap physio, despite all the crap banded about.

And even though I really dislike Ashton, I’ve been consistent in my “blame” of the “collective” of SL, JL, MA and LJ (I often forget JL, but he’s culpable) during their time here, not one individual.

I think I’d see Ashton as a facilitator, like I might Gould or Alexander.

Success on the pitch is ultimately down to having good players and a good manager.  How you get (recruit / develop your own) good players can be facilitated by others, and on the flip, be hindered.

Personally I’d be giving McKenna and the players a lot of the credit for their very promising start.

To be fair Fevs, your view is probably more nuanced than most by what you've just recapped. There's a bit of a pantomime villain thing with those two former employees. At the moment they feel a bit like the problematic girlfriend that left you, and you're sure they'll struggle to move on, then they suddenly seem to be engaged to a successful man and you don't quite understand how!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you knew that though! 

Yes but it's bloody pertinent given they're absolutely flying. I do think they'll crash but maybe not burn.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be fair Fevs, your view is probably more nuanced than most by what you've just recapped. There's a bit of a pantomime villain thing with those two former employees. At the moment they feel a bit like the problematic girlfriend that left you, and you're sure they'll struggle to move on, then they suddenly seem to be engaged to a successful man and you don't quite understand how!

Yes but it's bloody pertinent given they're absolutely flying. I do think they'll crash but maybe not burn.

Yeah, I’m not one for one-man blame-game or scapegoating…I don’t get it.

With Rolls, unless you’re in the medical / sport science world it’s difficult to know if he’s Dr Death or Florence Nightingale, hence why I found it useful to listen Paddy Orme and his explanation.

With Ashton, some of his stuff was more visible and easier to form an opinion.  Even then I still never bought the MA signings and LJ signings stuff.  I just thought recruitment was hampered by a few things (e.g. using a small group of agents).  I look at Szmodics as he was touted as an “MA signing and the recruitment team had to convince LJ to sign him”.  We signed him, he looked great in pre-season then never played, so becomes “LJ didn’t want him”.  I could talk about that signing for hours, but to cut to the chase, look at him now.

So lots of stuff doesn’t really ad up….apart from the money spent.  And that hamstrung us, inc Holden too, until this summer (ignoring the Owner’s latest strategy).  That’s shy my side of the coin lands on the negative side.

Ipswich (imho) are benefitting from McKenna’s playing identity.  Put simply, if you have a 22 man squad that on,y has to cover one way of playing, that’s much more efficient than 30 trying to cover multiple ways.  I call it McKenna’s playing identity, it should be a club strategy.

Thankfully we are moving in a similar direction under Nige (et all).

There's another debate for another day about “relevant” starting points.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

So many neutrals I know are praising Ipswich right now, all think we’re bitter but really we are not, reaching end of September I live in hope they **** it up, more though I hope Ashton ***** himself up

Don't forget, Ipswich have previous..........virtualy every season in Lg2 they started like a train , then ****** up, big time ! Here's hoping :fingerscrossed:

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why have they been so successful? Was my take. 

Just my opinion, but.

Built a good side for the division . McKenna had time the season before , to get the team as he wanted before the Promotion season last year. The other big thing, which IMO shouldn't be underestimated is momentum .
One of the reasons I hate playing promoted sides early in a season is momentum . On the back of a good year, the excitement of a new division, fans buzzing and new grounds to visit ? I've seen it too often for it to not add something. Then if you can start well and build on early wins ????
You have an example close to home. Momentum played a part in our reaching the Playoffs in 2008 , one defeat until after Bonfire night.  Then you have a team with "that"  mentality. 
They will probably hit a sticky spell, then it's how they get through it and kick on , determines their season. We seemed to nick points from late goals, they have started well, but it is just a start.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Just my opinion, but.

Built a good side for the division . McKenna had time the season before , to get the team as he wanted before the Promotion season last year. The other big thing, which IMO shouldn't be underestimated is momentum .
One of the reasons I hate playing promoted sides early in a season is momentum . On the back of a good year, the excitement of a new division, fans buzzing and new grounds to visit ? I've seen it too often for it to not add something. Then if you can start well and build on early wins ????
You have an example close to home. Momentum played a part in our reaching the Playoffs in 2008 , one defeat until after Bonfire night.  Then you have a team with "that"  mentality. 
They will probably hit a sticky spell, then it's how they get through it and kick on , determines their season. We seemed to nick points from late goals, they have started well, but it is just a start.  

That momentum that we had back in promotion year!! So very important, the time was right

I had the same thinking, that they have been allowed to build in league one, time to gel etc., like us with Cotts.

That’s what makes it so grating…we had that momentum and it was destroyed. 
(I’m not going into the whole scenario again, it’s been done to death on here) 

Nige has a harder job because he is building in The Championship…

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

18 hours ago, tin said:

Thanks for sharing that, what an insightful watch. 

For me, how they approach things - from ticketing to atmosphere, succession planning to the boardroom and much more - is poles apart from how we do things. And it only reinforces my view that we will achieve nothing under the Lansdowns unless we are very lucky or they copy Brighton’s approach (not that I’m advocating copying anyone). 

Lansdown has been holding this club back on the pitch for years. The football club is swallowed up by Bristol Sport which I hate, always have. Just look at what structure Brighton have compared to Bristol Sport. Joke. Just amazes me how posters on here still support Lansdown. Time for change.

• Like 1