IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

7 hours ago, mozo said:

I see Ipswich Town, currently 2nd in the Championship, and now through to the League Cup 4th round, currently have a full squad of players in training :ph34r: 

Let’s see what happens. Hopefully they sign Diony in January! All joking aside though I live near Ipswich and the fans are loving life, style of football and atmosphere is bouncing. Hard for them to get tickets, they took a sold out away and to Sheff Wed. Looking forward to a home game for me at Ipswich later this year, albeit it’s a damn Tuesday night! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I see Ipswich Town, currently 2nd in the Championship, and now through to the League Cup 4th round, currently have a full squad of players in training :ph34r: 

4 hours ago, Jose said:

They are riding a crest of a wave from promotion like we should have done except we completely ****** things up that summer. 

yes making me depressed

They actually I noticed made 10 changes last night, as did Wolves mind you but you'd expect Wolves 2nd string to out okay their 2nd string and dunno how subs affected the balance.

In 2015 we were a bit more constrained by FFP arguably than Ipswich are at this juncture. Different systems etc- they're on the 3 year £39m plus Allowables, clubs then were still on the one year £13m plus allowables..we had to be a bit careful albeit had we signed better that summer it may well have saved on latter costs and balanced out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When they get 5-6 medium to long term injuries as we've already had this season let's see how strong they are then. 

Football's Sod's Law gods will probably ensure they go through the season relatively injury free!

7 hours ago, Jose said:

They are riding a crest of a wave from promotion like we should have done except we completely ****** things up that summer. 

We ought to have at least been "in and around" where Preston were that first season up (they finished 11th, which is the 2nd best we have managed in this Championship stretch), comfortably midtable, a season to enjoy with no fear of relegation. But we were a shambles, utterly embarrassing. On and off the field.

For all that we have here in terms of crowd, income, facilities etc, we really are served up, and largely meekly accept, a pile of sh*t at this level, and largely always have been and done. It's an absolute wonder that 17 - 20,000 people are still interested and bother turning up.

You look at bleedin Plymouth with a small budget coming up and giving it a good old go (except here), that game v Norwich Saturday must've contained more rollicking good fun than 2 to 3 seasons here of the end of Lee, poor old Deano, and the start of Nige.

When we play Norwich, or any club within a whiff of a parachute payment, we are (more often than not) meek and pathetic, and many on here cannot wait to insist that we "cannot compete." People fall over themselves to make excuses, not only for being unable to "compete," but even for utter incompetence.

I doubt Nige truly grasped the challenge facing him here, the learned helplessness woven into the fabric of the whole bleedin place.

You Reds!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes making me depressed

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm getting really pissed off with these ***** !

You always get a frontrunner that falls away. We've done it. Not that long ago that Reading had that amazing start to the season and eventually ran out of steam.

Rolls and Ashton certainly won't be bothered by our criticism of them right now, but our games against Ipswich will feel a bit more spicy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We ought to have at least been "in and around" where Preston were that first season up (they finished 11th, which is the 2nd best we have managed in this Championship stretch), comfortably midtable, a season to enjoy with no fear of relegation. But we were a shambles, utterly embarrassing. On and off the field.

For all that we have here in terms of crowd, income, facilities etc, we really are served up, and largely meekly accept, a pile of sh*t at this level, and largely always have been and done. It's an absolute wonder that 17 - 20,000 people are still interested and bother turning up.

You look at bleedin Plymouth with a small budget coming up and giving it a good old go (except here), that game v Norwich Saturday must've contained more rollicking good fun than 2 to 3 seasons here of the end of Lee, poor old Deano, and the start of Nige.

When we play Norwich, or any club within a whiff of a parachute payment, we are (more often than not) meek and pathetic, and many on here cannot wait to insist that we "cannot compete." People fall over themselves to make excuses, not only for being unable to "compete," but even for utter incompetence.

I doubt Nige truly grasped the challenge facing him here, the learned helplessness woven into the fabric of the whole bleedin place.

You Reds!

One of my biggest bug bares on here. After losing to a “ big club “ the excuse comes out that how are we expected to compete with them. Then when we fail to beat a smaller club with a smaller budget those same people will say you can’t just expect to beat teams like that. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mozo said:

You always get a frontrunner that falls away. We've done it. Not that long ago that Reading had that amazing start to the season and eventually ran out of steam.

Rolls and Ashton certainly won't be bothered by our criticism of them right now, but our games against Ipswich will feel a bit more spicy.

Hope so. Reading and their stats were mental though, a very quick check suggests that they had a mere 56 shots in their first 8 games. The first 8 games in which they got 22 pts- the two put together breaks all models and can suggest a downturn. 15 goals from the 56 shots too, madly high and totally unsustainable.

Ipswich feel more sustainable but will their goals at both ends come back on them. Plus of course they're yet to be strongly tested by injuries.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hope so. Reading and their stats were mental though, a very quick check suggests that they had a mere 56 shots in their first 8 games. The first 8 games in which they got 22 pts- the two put together breaks all models and can suggest a downturn. 15 goals from the 56 shots too, madly high and totally unsustainable.

Ipswich feel more sustainable but will their goals at both ends come back on them. Plus of course they're yet to be strongly tested by injuries.

Yeah wasn't Lucas Jaoa (sp) on an unbelievable hot streak too?

Ergh, reading the Times

Winter gushing over Ipswich and even our old friend gets a mention:

"and their chief executive Mark Ashton. His recruitment of McKenna has been the masterstroke of the new era".

In fairness he's been quite fond of us in the past but Ashton so slimy.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 19:04, Winterstoke toad said:

The reason he’s put so much money in is because he’s ran the club so badly. His quarter of a century in charge of city has been nothing but a massive underachievement.

This is probably the best post I've ever read on this forum in regards to the running of OUR football club.

I remember how excited I was with the prospect of a BILLIONAIRE "fan" running out football club. 

When he took a over there was no FFP, he could have bought our way to the premier league within 10 years and then built the ground around the success on the field. Its sad to think that I will probably never get to see my club play in top flight, definitely not in Europe or at Wembley for a major cup final. Its even worse when you think about the clubs that have achieved so much more than us and from such lowly positions.

It beggars belief that the guy has made so much money running a company that adheres to FSA regulations but can't run a football club into a successful position even before FFP came into the game, not that FFP should be an obstacle to a man with fiscal blood running through his veins.

I wonder who'll be the next club to pass us by from a lowly position, home to a shit stadium and a questionable foreign owner......oh GOD no.......nah...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

This is probably the best post I've ever read on this forum in regards to the running of OUR football club.

I remember how excited I was with the prospect of a BILLIONAIRE "fan" running out football club. 

When he took a over there was no FFP, he could have bought our way to the premier league within 10 years and then built the ground around the success on the field. Its sad to think that I will probably never get to see my club play in top flight, definitely not in Europe or at Wembley for a major cup final. Its even worse when you think about the clubs that have achieved so much more than us and from such lowly positions.

It beggars belief that the guy has made so much money running a company that adheres to FSA regulations but can't run a football club into a successful position even before FFP came into the game, not that FFP should be an obstacle to a man with fiscal blood running through his veins.

I wonder who'll be the next club to pass us by from a lowly position, home to a shit stadium and a questionable foreign owner......oh GOD no.......nah...

FFP is getting tighter and becoming more monitored by the year but 2008 really was the time really. We just needed a bigger push in that January.

By way of example:

1) Fixed Assets sale profit or sale and leaseback. Perfectly legitimate accounting practice, now excluded from FFP calculations. Stadium, Training Ground- land? Other buildings.

2) Likewise shares in a company in a group that owns Fixed Assets. No longer offsets losses.

3) Monitoring of present and future Financials if losses fall between £x and £y over a given period.

Related and Associated Party sponsorship now covered by various regulations.

January 2008 was a prime time to go for it..

On 26/09/2023 at 23:24, mozo said:

Absolutely, we definitely should have kept Mark Ashton- a completely sustainable model.

Incredible record of availability with his mates in charge of medical & conditioning, too. Brilliant treatment of Joe Williams.

No occasions where we had 12 players missing at the same time, players returning from loan spells & ruled out almost straight away for the season, never, ever happened.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, we definitely should have kept Mark Ashton- a completely sustainable model.

Incredible record of availability with his mates in charge of medical & conditioning, too. Brilliant treatment of Joe Williams.

No occasions where we had 12 players missing at the same time, players returning from loan spells & ruled out almost straight away for the season, never, ever happened.

Do you think it's a case that they've learnt from their mistakes then? 

At one club they've done x and another they've done y.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Do you think it's a case that they've learnt from their mistakes then? 

At one club they've done x and another they've done y.

Isn't there a saying that "the cream always rises to the top"? By the same token the slimeballs that are Ashton and co will undoubtedly get their comeuppance and sink to the bottom. 

I have no football financial knowledge whatsoever, but am pretty confident the Ipswich model will only be sustainable if they get to the promised land. If they fail the fallout will be a joy to behold.

**** em...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are you taking a point in time to form the basis of your question?  Trying to work out your angle.

The present day! I'm guessing Rolls is now either  eing lucky that players are not currently suffering long term injuries or he's changed his methods?

Likewise, has Ashton accumulated a hodge podge squad by spending the US dollars on a scattergun transfer policy, which the manager is struggling to juggle, or has he too learnt a lesson about working with managers and transfer dealings in general.

My angle; playing devil's advocate, for the obvious reason that the current ascent of Ipswich, and their fit squad, doesn't align with the expectations of most of our fans, myself included.

I'm only bringing this up again because Ashton and Rolls keep popping up in recent posts on this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

Isn't there a saying that "the cream always rises to the top"? By the same token the slimeballs that are Ashton and co will undoubtedly get their comeuppance and sink to the bottom. 

I have no football financial knowledge whatsoever, but am pretty confident the Ipswich model will only be sustainable if they get to the promised land. If they fail the fallout will be a joy to behold.

**** em...

Like you I hope Ashton gets his comeuppance at some point. But in spite of signing a lot of players I didn't think the Ipswich wage bill was that high compared to other Championship clubs and they get  27000  at most home games.

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I wonder who'll be the next club to pass us by 

Preston and Plymouth will get there before us , probably millwall or a couple current league one clubs as well . 

I got pelters on my old account on this forum for stating the obvious about the lansdowns but a lot of city fans won’t criticise them in any way . This club won’t get promotion to the prem under sl let alone challenge for even europa conference league like a club from a city like Bristol should at least be capable of .

The lack of ambition from our fan base is also a huge problem and isn’t gonna spur any owners we have on to actually be ambitious instead of just talking about success to sell season tickets and merchandise.

Edited by Winterstoke toad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Preston and Plymouth will get there before us , probably millwall or a couple current league one clubs as well . 

I got pelters on my old account on this forum for stating the obvious about the lansdowns but a lot of city fans won’t criticise them in any way . This club won’t get promotion to the prem under sl let alone challenge for even europa conference league like a club from a city like Bristol should at least be capable of .

The lack of ambition from our fan base is also a huge problem and isn’t gonna spur any owners we have on to actually be ambitious instead of just talking about success to sell season tickets and merchandise.

Okay then, what do you think we should spend.

A new owner tomorrow, what should we spend. In fresh wages and fees divided by contact length aka amortisation, loan fees and of course agents fees.

How far should we push it, risk v reward etc.

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

The present day! I'm guessing Rolls is now either  eing lucky that players are not currently suffering long term injuries or he's changed his methods?

Likewise, has Ashton accumulated a hodge podge squad by spending the US dollars on a scattergun transfer policy, which the manager is struggling to juggle, or has he too learnt a lesson about working with managers and transfer dealings in general.

My angle; playing devil's advocate, for the obvious reason that the current ascent of Ipswich, and their fit squad, doesn't align with the expectations of most of our fans, myself included.

I'm only bringing this up again because Ashton and Rolls keep popping up in recent posts on this thread.

So, firstly Ipswich don’t actually have an injury free squad, their first choice keeper Christian Walton hasn’t played a single game this season yet..

Secondly they have started very well, but it is 8 games, so seems a bit early to be thinking they’re racing off into the distance.

They do have an excellent manager, a very shrewd choice, so whoever was responsible for that made a good decision.

I still believe Ashton leaves clubs in a worse position than he inherited (Watford fans think this, as well) but it’s a free country so if you want to think he’s great, that’s your prerogative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A new owner tomorrow, what should we spend. In fresh wages and fees divided by contact length aka amortisation, loan fees and of course agents fees.

People always come out with this shite- but a bit quieter on the “Plymouth will overtake us” stuff last week when we were hammering them..

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It’s not that I think we should spend it’s more the fact sl among a stupid amount of other mistakes gave a massive budget to Lee Johnson who had a poor record before being appointed at city . 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

It’s not that I think we should spend it’s more the fact sl among a stupid amount of other mistakes gave a massive budget to Lee Johnson who had a poor record before being appointed at city . 

Totally agree with that point. NP with even half or 2/3 of that budget...On top of the now flourishing youth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Totally agree with that point. NP with even half or 2/3 of that budget...On top of the now flourishing youth.

Exactly. There’s a reason both hughton and cook turned us down when we appointed Holden . The task of getting city promotion after the budget had been blown was near impossible.

• Like 1