IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

53 minutes ago, lenred said:

Isn’t it a shame how that one’s turned out. But one owner has stewarded their club by taking calculated risks with knowledge provided by the very very best experts in their field.  The other owner has stewarded their club by being overtly risk averse and in the main has taken the advice of his equally clueless (in footballing terms) son and a shyster who embarrassed him by stitching him up.  If only our owner was the one who didn’t let his ego stand in the way of success…..what might have been. 

He took an enormous risk with MA and LJ that could have led to disaster. Fortunately for him Nigel and others have rescued him from that though he can't admit that.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The comment was made about building a nest egg to spend, not to put in his back pocket

Yes but the comment certainly hinted it won’t be any time soon. I think we all know that had we been able to spend “some of it” on a bit of extra quality for THIS season that could easily be a 6-10 point difference over 46 matches. If we are still not there FFFP wise then all the club has to do is tell us and the more reasonable of the fan base will understand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes but the comment certainly hinted it won’t be any time soon. I think we all know that had we been able to spend “some of it” on a bit of extra quality for THIS season that could easily be a 6-10 point difference over 46 matches. If we are still not there FFFP wise then all the club has to do is tell us and the more reasonable of the fan base will understand.

The bit we don't know is how the payments from Bournemouth are structured, we may not even have any yet. I was gutted AS went , but less so when we found out about the injury.

As fans we all want new exciting players, but we also done the business early and brought in some good players, so not to upset that we have not. As always said its about the right players not just collecting them like we did before.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The bit we don't know is how the payments from Bournemouth are structured, we may not even have any yet. I was gutted AS went , but less so when we found out about the injury.

As fans we all want new exciting players, but we also done the business early and brought in some good players, so not to upset that we have not. As always said its about the right players not just collecting them like we did before.

Totally agree on your last point. It’s quality we need now not quantity.

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Perhaps next season when the final £28.5m loss has left the books and we can look at a 2 year huge push building on a solid base.

That's not necessarily the way I would go but if it was, so important we get the right manager- or rather extend the current incumbent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Of course not I think we can all agree that mistakes have been made in his tenure and he is aware of that.

Brighton and ourselves were very similar ,new stadium, rich local owner and look how are trajectories have differed since that play off final.

It's comments like he is building a nest egg /not interested in football  which i find disingenuous he could spend £10m a year for the next 100 years and still have a quarter of his money in tact.

Only he knows his intentions and some of the comments on here do him a great disservice.

I have to say I find it a bit disingenuous to suggest SL is aware of the mistakes he has made. Because if he had such awareness why would he have continued to make them over such a long period.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The comment was made about building a nest egg to spend, not to put in his back pocket

I didn't claim otherwise but simply pointed out that it was Steve not OTIB who brought it up.

He said of course that he wanted to build a nest egg so we can compete. That leads me to two questions:

1. How large does the nest egg need to be before we can spend any of it?

2. What does he mean by compete? Is he talking about paying big fees and/ or big wages again to compete with richer clubs? Or is it something else?

I'll disregard his talk of raising £25m a year in sales as I assume he was being hypothetical. I certainly hope he doesn't think it's a realistic expectation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I didn't claim otherwise but simply pointed out that it was Steve not OTIB who brought it up.

He said of course that he wanted to build a nest egg so we can compete. That leads me to two questions:

1. How large does the nest egg need to be before we can spend any of it?

2. What does he mean by compete? Is he talking about paying big fees and/ or big wages again to compete with richer clubs? Or is it something else?

I'll disregard his talk of raising £25m a year in sales as I assume he was being hypothetical. I certainly hope he doesn't think it's a realistic expectation.

Just thought it needed clarifying, as so much has been used out of context on here recently as a stick to beat SL with 

In answer to your question, like so much else that is behind the scenes, we don't know, but time will tell. I am not one who believes the club should come out and explain themselves or give running commentary on its strategy.

15 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

I’ve got a view that SL doesn’t feel this is the year to push, given the league is really strong in comparison to previous years - it does make sense to really push when the time is right 

With due respect , as if SL would be a good judge 

He may have been advised that by people who actually understand the game like BT / NP

• Like 3

On 23/09/2023 at 10:34, lenred said:

Isn’t it a shame how that one’s turned out. But one owner has stewarded their club by taking calculated risks with knowledge provided by the very very best experts in their field.  The other owner has stewarded their club by being overtly risk averse and in the main has taken the advice of his equally clueless (in footballing terms) son and a shyster who embarrassed him by stitching him up.  If only our owner was the one who didn’t let his ego stand in the way of success…..what might have been. 

You are so spot on it hurts.That POF vs Brighton is still burned into my memory. How our clubs have travelled very different paths since then often irks me.

• Like 4

It’s been said many times but we need to be careful what we wish for. Better, in my opinion, to be regularly competing well in the Championship than failing miserably in the Prem. 

I wonder if Sheff Utd fans are waking up this morning feeling that they’ve entered the promised land. 

Give me entertaining, attacking football at 3pm on a Saturday and I don’t care about the balance sheet and the whys and wherefores of amortisation. 

I care that some of our best players have gone and it’s probably bad that we don’t get the money for them up front but there will hopefully be another taxi on the rank. 

I’d rather have a local owner; there is probably none of them that are really perfect. Bloom has probably got just as big an ego as SL (is that really an issue? Steve seems reasonably modest for a billionaire to me) and for every team like Brighton or Bournemouth there is an Oldham, a Charlton or a Barnsley. 

Yes the communication leaves something to be desired but let’s get the game back and worry less about the business.

Too much of a romantic I suppose but……when the ball hits the goal, whether it’s Cheesley or Cole, it’s amore. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, stortfordred said:

It’s been said many times but we need to be careful what we wish for. Better, in my opinion, to be regularly competing well in the Championship than failing miserably in the Prem. 

I wonder if Sheff Utd fans are waking up this morning feeling that they’ve entered the promised land. 

Give me entertaining, attacking football at 3pm on a Saturday and I don’t care about the balance sheet and the whys and wherefores of amortisation. 

I care that some of our best players have gone and it’s probably bad that we don’t get the money for them up front but there will hopefully be another taxi on the rank. 

I’d rather have a local owner; there is probably none of them that are really perfect. Bloom has probably got just as big an ego as SL (is that really an issue? Steve seems reasonably modest for a billionaire to me) and for every team like Brighton or Bournemouth there is an Oldham, a Charlton or a Barnsley. 

Yes the communication leaves something to be desired but let’s get the game back and worry less about the business.

Too much of a romantic I suppose but……when the ball hits the goal, whether it’s Cheesley or Cole, it’s amore. 

Oh and the proof of this particular pudding is the five week turn around at Spurs. Nothing has changed in the ownership structure but, at the moment, they have attacking, entertaining football so the hatred of the owner (all too evident a short time ago) fades into the background. 

• Like 1

The Brighton comparison referencing 2004 is interesting but no straight line IMO.

They went up yes but after 2 years inthe Championship game down again and were still at the Witbdean until 2010-11, their final season there.

Fortunately as luck had it they moved into the Amex and got promoted in that final season at the Withdean. The crowds going up by 2.5-3 x the previous year, the turnover likewise gave them a rare sense of momentum. Those two items aligning surely helped.

We on the other hand lad lost Coppell a year previous, a fantastic Maynard in 2009-10 had vot injured prior to 2010-11 and this fed into a downward slide.

The year in which they got promoted was the year we had finally redeveloped and able to open AG in full, 2016-17. We actually went in or our the groundwork in for Ashton Vale in 2007, unsure when Brighton begun the planning process for the Amex.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Brighton comparison referencing 2004 is interesting but no straight line IMO.

They went up yes but after 2 years inthe Championship game down again and were still at the Witbdean until 2010-11, their final season there.

Fortunately as luck had it they moved into the Amex and got promoted in that final season at the Withdean. The crowds going up by 2.5-3 x the previous year, the turnover likewise gave them a rare sense of momentum. Those two items aligning surely helped.

We on the other hand lad lost Coppell a year previous, a fantastic Maynard in 2009-10 had vot injured prior to 2010-11 and this fed into a downward slide.

The year in which they got promoted was the year we had finally redeveloped and able to open AG in full, 2016-17. We actually went in or our the groundwork in for Ashton Vale in 2007, unsure when Brighton begun the planning process for the Amex.

Tony Bloom gambled at that point, Brighton were losing a serious amount of cash in the seasons before they went up, if they hadn't got promoted they wouldn't have been able to keep losing such amounts..

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Better, in my opinion, to be regularly competing well in the Championship than failing miserably in the Prem. 

Disagree. Sheff United and Luton had a fantastic season last year, celebrations we can only dream about. 

I'd love to go to Arsenal away, Man City away. Yes we may lose, but I'd rather watch us lose against some of the best players in the world than against someone like Rotherham.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you haven't it is well worth a watch! 

Watching that highlights to me how far away off the pitch we are of being a premier league club. We need someone just like Paul Barber, instead we choose to get rid of the CEO role. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Disagree. Sheff United and Luton had a fantastic season last year, celebrations we can only dream about. 

I'd love to go to Arsenal away, Man City away. Yes we may lose, but I'd rather watch us lose against some of the best players in the world than against someone like Rotherham.

Completely agree and you become a bigger/higher profile, more sustainable club just by having a year there. 

Edited by Mendip City

8 hours ago, M.D said:

Tony Bloom gambled at that point, Brighton were losing a serious amount of cash in the seasons before they went up, if they hadn't got promoted they wouldn't have been able to keep losing such amounts..

Yes very true. Both cash flow and profit and loss, especially 2016-17.

However the comparison is flawed in some ways as they had a notable head start on us and got promoted at exactly the right time. In the first place from League One coinciding with stadium move.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you haven't it is well worth a watch! 

Watching that highlights to me how far away off the pitch we are of being a premier league club. We need someone just like Paul Barber, instead we choose to get rid of the CEO role. 

Thanks, I shall watch that.

Some Companies House filings were made yesterday.

Alexander stood down as a director of BCFC Ltd on 20 September 2023. Interesting to note that Rawcliffe hasn't been appointed to the board (yet) according to CH.

That's particularly interesting when we see that changes were made to the board of  BCWFC Ltd (the women's team) - where Rawcliffe was appointed as a director as of 20 September 2023. Alexander and Rosie Hadrill both having been terminated that same day.

So either:

A) the Form AP01 for Rawcliffe going onto the BCFC Ltd board hasn't been filed or hasn't been processed by CH yet (it's not officially late yet); or

B) he's not going onto that board of directors.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@ExiledAjax fwiw Mark Ashton’s replacement as COO (Luke Werhun) wasn’t appointed to the board either.

But was appointed to the women's board as well.

Maybe I am missing something in the WSL regs or somewhere but it seems odd to appoint these two to the Women's board but not to men's or Holdings? 

It's just odd.

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But was appointed to the women's board as well.

Maybe I am missing something in the WSL regs or somewhere but it seems odd to appoint these two to the Women's board but not to men's or Holdings? 

It's just odd.

Yes, saw that.

Guess the decision making (cough cough control) needed for mens is different!