IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

8 hours ago, Tony Tootle said:

More cost cutting for the sake of it. I hope that this is either a) a temporary measure until the end of the season or b) not doing anything about it immediately as there is a takeover in the pipeline which will mean another reorganisation. 

It's just a temporary measure whilst Lisa Knights gains some CEO experience at the Flyers and then she'll be appointed our CEO ??

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

The talk of an imminent takeover or significant new investment is wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Purely and simply, this latest C-level “restructure” at the club is more evidence of Steve Lansdown’s woeful approach to recruitment and retention.

More haphazard cost-cutting and the promotion of underlings, yes men and Tins! Who’s in charge? Jon L’s meritless and talentless stewardship presumably holds this together in the absence of a proper CEO until it falls apart?

Been here before with the Lansdowns and it’s tiresome. It always costs more money in the end.

A proper CEO is needed. One that can drive revenue many more times the size of their salary. Not everyone can be a CEO, very few are capable and it takes someone special with excellent people skills and a strong network. It’s not an optional extra for a club which supposedly has aspirations of Premier League football!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You don't know that and neither do I, none of us know. I have worked at a multitude of companies in my working life, and would be hard pressed to tell what any of the bigwigs do other than try to look important when anyone is looking.

When I first started in IT at a pensions company, the chairman was up in the Ivory towers on the top floor. Occasionally he was needed to sign an important document or something. The girls on reception knew to phone him, before anyone went up, to make sure he was actually awake in order to avoid embarrasment. He was something to do with Arsenal too, in the Peter Hill Wood era.

Nothing much has changed in the last 30 odd years, across several companies. They come in, spout the usual bollocks, inevitably screw up sooner or later, depart suddenly (to pursue other opportunities), move on somewhere else and the cycle restarts. Usually ex public school, oxbridge types.

And then there are the American companies...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

The talk of an imminent takeover or significant new investment is wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Purely and simply, this latest C-level “restructure” at the club is more evidence of Steve Lansdown’s woeful approach to recruitment and retention.

More haphazard cost-cutting and the promotion of underlings, yes men and Tins! Who’s in charge? Jon L’s meritless and talentless stewardship presumably holds this together in the absence of a proper CEO until it falls apart?

Been here before with the Lansdowns and it’s tiresome. It always costs more money in the end.

A proper CEO is needed. One that can drive revenue many more times the size of their salary. Not everyone can be a CEO, very few are capable and it takes someone special with excellent people skills and a strong network. It’s not an optional extra for a club which supposedly has aspirations of Premier League football!

The ironic thing is that the Lansdowns will probably look at the club with the new stadium, training ground, thriving academy, huge cuts, and current 7th position and feel like they're doing a pretty good job and should trust their own judgement on that basis.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

The ironic thing is that the Lansdowns will probably look at the club with the new stadium, training ground, thriving academy, huge cuts, and current 7th position and feel like they're doing a pretty good job and should trust their own judgement on that basis.

In fairness if City finish 7th in May then I’d imagine that would be a pretty strong validation.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mozo said:

And rightly so, too many doom-mongers on here. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Plus, the guy who's got responsibility for football decisions - Tinnion - isn't on the board. He's called a "director" but he's not afforded the commensurate position.

The board meetings now consist of two financial guys plus the son of the guy who supplies the finance. I wonder...I just wonder what factor they will give most heed to in those meetings? It might, just might, be finance and only ******* finance.

Fits perfectly with the government's watered down attitude to the regulator though. Where they literally say that financial considerations can take precedence over any other considerations. 

So money is officially more important than fans, football, facilities, location of the stadium, the lot.

It's a pretty clear message.

I don't think 'Directors of Football' are regularly on the board are they? 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mozo said:

It's a fair point but that just that little bit more- injuries make this squad look quite thin and at this level with tight margins and indeed injuries that roll in and our we perhaps finances permitting of course, feel 2-3 light.

The slight unease about oversight with the lack of a CEO and the lack of new deal for NP to dare are also reasons why things don't feel quite as settled as they should.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a fair point but that just that little bit more- injuries make this squad look quite thin and at this level with tight margins and indeed injuries that roll in and our we perhaps finances permitting of course, feel 2-3 light.

The slight unease about oversight with the lack of a CEO and the lack of new deal for NP to dare are also reasons why things don't feel quite as settled as they should.

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Well, I think this thread proves that there's a problem of some sort even if it's just a longstanding PR issue, of which several examples have been shared.

I think a lot of the criticism has had a rational foundation even if you reckon it's too negative. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

The issue is two fold, the disconnect between expectations and reality (Steve expecting us to push for promotion, without allowing Nigel/Brian to invest into the squad), and the lack of praise for Nigel for the fantastic job he's done on the shoestring budget.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Selred said:

The issue is two fold, the disconnect between expectations and reality (Steve expecting us to push for promotion, without allowing Nigel/Brian to invest into the squad), and the lack of praise for Nigel for the fantastic job he's done on the shoestring budget.

And inconsistent messaging re the Scott money.

• Like 3

This is how I think the final meeting between SL and PA went:

SL walks in with a big folder of documents. `Great news Phil, I`ve found a buyer, an American who`s seen what`s happening at Wrexham and wants to get in on the feel-good factor, He says he needs a bit of a popularity boost.`

He hands the file to PA. PA looks at it and exclaims:

`**** me Steve, you can`t sell the club to Donald Trump!`

SL: `I can and I will and by the way, he`s bringing in his own CEO, bloke by the name of Rudy Giuliani`

PA last seen burning rubber back up the M4.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, mozo said:

Yes, and if we sustain good form and are in a similar position in January, it’ll be used as a reason to “go with what we’ve got” and avoid strengthening for a top 6 finish.

Lansdown never mastered the art of the calculated gamble. It’s been mindless spending or extreme cuts.

Deja vu.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

Yes, and if we sustain good form and are in a similar position in January, it’ll be used as a reason to “go with what we’ve got” and avoid strengthening for a top 6 finish.

Lansdown never mastered the art of the calculated gamble. It’s been mindless spending or extreme cuts.

Deja vu.

I think that's what cost us automatic promotion in the season we got to the play off final. You'd hope he would have learned his lesson but I don't think he has.

Other clubs strengthened and we didn't. 

SL then spent years throwing money around trying to chase that dream. Could have saved himself a lot of money had he of invested money in players at the right time. 

• Like 2

On 21/09/2023 at 18:36, steviestevieneville said:

This is my point though. I can only speak about SL & there’s probably a lot of others that let’s their egos dictate. Football isn’t his first sport , so what makes him think he’ll know better than someone that’s been in the game all their lives. He should of taken advice from someone in the game. Someone like joe Jordan would of been perfect . He’s got a track record of giving people a chance with little or no experience. Tinnion, Millen, Johnson, Holden & mciines to a lesser exent. The successes , Johnson snr, cotts & ?? Pearson , all experienced & track record of promotions. All be it , cotts wasn’t his appointment & Pearson phoned him for the job when he royally ****** up with Holden. The only appointment he himself made with any success was GJ. Not a great track record is it . 

Isn’t this entire forum people with no real professional football experience thinking they know better than people that have been in football their entire lives? That’s sort of the fun of being a football fan. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Isn’t this entire forum people with no real professional football experience thinking they know better than people that have been in football their entire lives? That’s sort of the fun of being a football fan. 

Yeah but most of us are saying "get people in key positions with as much football experience as possible" rather than "I could do all of those jobs better than that myself"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Unfortunately some on here believe they are experts ,known as barrack room lawyers, they are persons who likes to give authoritative-sounding opinions on subjects in which they are not qualified.

Take it all with a pinch of salt if they knew what they were talking about I doubt they would be wasting their time posting on OTIB

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Unfortunately some on here believe they are experts ,known as barrack room lawyers, they are persons who likes to give authoritative-sounding opinions on subjects in which they are not qualified.

Take it all with a pinch of salt if they knew what they were talking about I doubt they would be wasting their time posting on OTIB

But if we are all saying the same thing, perhaps it is SL who is wrong. Just because it's his money, doesn't make him right.

18 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This is how I think the final meeting between SL and PA went:

SL walks in with a big folder of documents. `Great news Phil, I`ve found a buyer, an American who`s seen what`s happening at Wrexham and wants to get in on the feel-good factor, He says he needs a bit of a popularity boost.`

He hands the file to PA. PA looks at it and exclaims:

`**** me Steve, you can`t sell the club to Donald Trump!`

SL: `I can and I will and by the way, he`s bringing in his own CEO, bloke by the name of Rudy Giuliani`

PA last seen burning rubber back up the M4.

Steve Coogan This Time GIF by Baby Cow

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

But if we are all saying the same thing, perhaps it is SL who is wrong. Just because it's his money, doesn't make him right.

Of course not I think we can all agree that mistakes have been made in his tenure and he is aware of that.

Brighton and ourselves were very similar ,new stadium, rich local owner and look how are trajectories have differed since that play off final.

It's comments like he is building a nest egg /not interested in football  which i find disingenuous he could spend £10m a year for the next 100 years and still have a quarter of his money in tact.

Only he knows his intentions and some of the comments on here do him a great disservice.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Of course not I think we can all agree that mistakes have been made in his tenure and he is aware of that.

Brighton and ourselves were very similar ,new stadium, rich local owner and look how are trajectories have differed since that play off final.

It's comments like he is building a nest egg /not interested in football  which i find disingenuous he could spend £10m a year for the next 100 years and still have a quarter of his money in tact.

Only he knows his intentions and some of the comments on here do him a great disservice.

Isn’t it a shame how that one’s turned out. But one owner has stewarded their club by taking calculated risks with knowledge provided by the very very best experts in their field.  The other owner has stewarded their club by being overtly risk averse and in the main has taken the advice of his equally clueless (in footballing terms) son and a shyster who embarrassed him by stitching him up.  If only our owner was the one who didn’t let his ego stand in the way of success…..what might have been. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Fair enough but it was Steve himself who talked about building a nest egg.

• Like 6