IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that maybe there is an investor looking to be part of the club and that part of the deal would be to bring their own financial guys with them. 

Hence not bringing in someone from outside...and covering from within in the meantime. 

Or too far fetched?

Yep, that’s what I posted earlier on.  Why go through the recruitment process for a short term (hopefully short term because we are gonna have new owners) appointment.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I just think that people are not looking at the bigger picture. We are all worried about things that affect our club. Many people view Bristol Sport as almost a subsidiary of BCFC but in reality it’s the reverse. We talk about Steve losing interest and walking away and maybe he will. Alternatively maybe Steve is not so much stepping back as stepping up to concentrate on a bigger plan. He could attract far more in investment than he could ever recoup by just selling the football club. He built his fortune on investment and that’s where he has the knowledge. He is basically an investment broker and that’s always been where his real interest lies. 

Depends whether you’re talking Bristol Sport - the Brand, Bristol Sport - the small entity providing services to City, Bears, etc, or Bristol Sport - aka Pula Sport?

13 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

The lunatics are running the asylum .

The club needs new owners. Fast. 

I feel that too.

Hoping progress is being made somewhere / by someone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Why get rid of the role completely then? 

It just smacks of the Lansdowns once again wanting more direct control over everything that goes on at the club. 

Perhaps BT has started to show how much he can offer and PA's performance helped to prove the structure as was is not required.

Earlier in the thread you said that SL being too involved with PA there, so why would he need to get rid of him, if SL wants to be involved he can micro manage and have daily reports if he wanted, maybe he does, but all just speculation

What ever the motive I am at no loss seeing PA gone and not having a replacement for the sake of a replacement

• Confused 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Earlier in the thread you said that SL being too involved with PA there, so why would he need to get rid of him, if SL wants to be involved he can micro manage and have daily reports if he wanted, maybe he does, but all just speculation

This already happens from within the setup

I don't think there is much to be gained by SL selling off BCFC and I can't see many investors being that interested and which would bring in significant monies.

But if SL has decided to sell off part (or whole) of Pula, that is an entirely different prospect which could bring in a helluva lot of investment across the group of companies including BCFC.

I'm not sure that the restructuring of the football club has anything to do with impending incoming investment or new owners, it just seems like a business decision, expanding the group CEOs responsibility and creating a COO position. 

Would love to see SL back on the enthusiasm train, who knows a successful season could see him get his passion back.

Its been a tough watch as a city owner for a long time now, so a season where we’re up and around the play offs or better could see his interest return.

Especially if we were to achieve the unthinkable and get to the PL.

Plus if we’re up there come January maybe he’d open his wallet once Nige has proved he can get us playing at the top end.

All ifs and buts, I would love him to get success at city I feel he deserves it really even though there’s been some mistakes along the way.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

Would love to see SL back on the enthusiasm train, who knows a successful season could see him get his passion back.

Its been a tough watch as a city owner for a long time now, so a season where we’re up and around the play offs or better could see his interest return.

Especially if we were to achieve the unthinkable and get to the PL.

Plus if we’re up there come January maybe he’d open his wallet once Nige has proved he can get us playing at the top end.

All ifs and buts, I would love him to get success at city I feel he deserves it really even though there’s been some mistakes along the way.

A tough watch as city owner ! His legacy is bricks & mortar . His football decisions have poor at best . He doesn’t deserve success imo because he’s been too egotistical to seek the right football advice . This goes way before the double mark Ashton debacle . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

17 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Shit, I'm gonna miss all those wonderful and varied interviews that Alexander did on the tv, radio, and club interviews. Also gonna miss that personal touch of turning up at the Hen & Chicken for an open mic session also!

image.thumb.png.5bc33b83cdb2d92bbc707ee6805c8dbe.png

• Haha 1

Have been musing since the weekend on the issues I think should be priorities for a new CEO. Since the new team is now in place maybe we can focus their minds, with some constructive ideas as to where fans think they should be concentrating. These would be mine, not necessarily in order of priority (much of this may be happening but clarity on these issues would go along way to allaying the fears of some):

• Agree budget for next window ASAP and allow Nige and Brian to work on bringing new players in and controlling sales.
  • Sit down with SL and get a clear idea of his plans re ownership. If a sale is wanted then actively seek investors. Communicate with greater clarity intent to the fanbase.
  • Sit down urgently with NP and agree a new contract, assuming he wants one. He and coaches have the team playing a clear brand of football, which gives significant cause for optimism. The relationship between Manager and Academy seems to be as good as it has ever been and there is a willingness to give youth a chance. Consistency of thought is now required to see this to fruition. Until things are resolved there will be a high degree of uncertainty and an open issue causing concern among fan base.
  • Find out why efforts are seemingly being made to introduce blue, and the infamous flying bird into our colour scheme/image. Any team/brand has its colours, blue is patently not one of ours so why is it increasingly part of the clothing range, along with the cartoon flying bird. Set up a group with fan involvement to screen future ideas. I can't imagine these items have been successful and seems the process does not involve anyone with sufficient understanding of fanbase or with a desire to have clarity around image/brand.
  • Consider how to improve home end to create better atmosphere...more standing, behind goal instead of in corner? At the same time I'd look at the make up of Dolman A block and whether the increased stewarding that seems to be required is a cost worth bearing.
  • programme production - a momento of a visit which is no longer available, what is rationale behind this decision?

That would be my initial to do list, thankfully matters on the pitch seem to be well in hand.

• Like 3

So there's even less potential for any director to check or balance Lansdown's wishes?

A COO with a financial background seemingly also filling the role of a CFO, promoted from within by the guy they answer to.

And the Group CEO calling the shots above them and sitting on the board as well.

It's just...just depressingly more of the same and an even stronger demonstration of the fear Lansdown seems to have of any new ideas or outside influence.

Yes directors run companies for the benefit of the shareholders, but they don't do it at the direction of the shareholders...except in football apparently.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So there's even less potential for any director to check or balance Lansdown's wishes?

A COO with a financial background seemingly also filling the role of a CFO, promoted from within by the guy they answer to.

And the Group CEO calling the shots above them and sitting on the board as well.

It's just...just depressingly more of the same and an even stronger demonstration of the fear Lansdown seems to have of any new ideas or outside influence.

Yes directors run companies for the benefit of the shareholders, but they don't do it at the direction of the shareholders...except in football apparently.

Yep, with no independent non execs you just get group think. The Board will end up tugging their collective forelock to Steve. If they want to keep their jobs they dare not disagree with him.

Just not good business practice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, megansdad said:

programme production - a momento of a visit which is no longer available, what is rationale behind this decision?

Obviously, the big question has been answered but...

If a CEO has the time or capacity to get invovled with that sort of thing, then the reason who don't have a CEO is quite clear, we don't need one.

36 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep, with no independent non execs you just get group think. The Board will end up tugging their collective forelock to Steve. If they want to keep their jobs they dare not disagree with him.

Just not good business practice.

Plus, the guy who's got responsibility for football decisions - Tinnion - isn't on the board. He's called a "director" but he's not afforded the commensurate position.

The board meetings now consist of two financial guys plus the son of the guy who supplies the finance. I wonder...I just wonder what factor they will give most heed to in those meetings? It might, just might, be finance and only ******* finance.

Fits perfectly with the government's watered down attitude to the regulator though. Where they literally say that financial considerations can take precedence over any other considerations. 

So money is officially more important than fans, football, facilities, location of the stadium, the lot.

It's a pretty clear message.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, megansdad said:

At the same time I'd look at the make up of Dolman A block and whether the increased stewarding that seems to be required is a cost worth bearing.

Could you elaborate? My understanding is that it initially arose organically at half time in a Cup tie v Swansea and then took its own life from there. Probably more to it..

Block was half empty at least being a Sunday lunchtime FA Cup game just after Christmas, as I recall those who funnelled to Dolman A Block in old money, E34 Upper in new money and the lower half was basically blocked off.

Is the present situation satisfactory? Probably not. However I don't see any easy solutions, facts on the ground etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, megansdad said:

May not be the main issue on the agenda but surely a CEO would at least want to ask the question - and want to makes sure teams making such decisions have a well thought out process. Asking the question would require an answer which might be revealing of wider issues?

Re the programme, they did comment at the time, it lost money.

With the app, they can throw content out quicker, attract a wider range of advertisers and keep pointing you towards an online shop that rarely has any stock.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, megansdad said:

Have been musing since the weekend on the issues I think should be priorities for a new CEO. Since the new team is now in place maybe we can focus their minds, with some constructive ideas as to where fans think they should be concentrating. These would be mine, not necessarily in order of priority (much of this may be happening but clarity on these issues would go along way to allaying the fears of some):

• Agree budget for next window ASAP and allow Nige and Brian to work on bringing new players in and controlling sales.
  • Sit down with SL and get a clear idea of his plans re ownership. If a sale is wanted then actively seek investors. Communicate with greater clarity intent to the fanbase.
  • Sit down urgently with NP and agree a new contract, assuming he wants one. He and coaches have the team playing a clear brand of football, which gives significant cause for optimism. The relationship between Manager and Academy seems to be as good as it has ever been and there is a willingness to give youth a chance. Consistency of thought is now required to see this to fruition. Until things are resolved there will be a high degree of uncertainty and an open issue causing concern among fan base.
  • Find out why efforts are seemingly being made to introduce blue, and the infamous flying bird into our colour scheme/image. Any team/brand has its colours, blue is patently not one of ours so why is it increasingly part of the clothing range, along with the cartoon flying bird. Set up a group with fan involvement to screen future ideas. I can't imagine these items have been successful and seems the process does not involve anyone with sufficient understanding of fanbase or with a desire to have clarity around image/brand.
  • Consider how to improve home end to create better atmosphere...more standing, behind goal instead of in corner? At the same time I'd look at the make up of Dolman A block and whether the increased stewarding that seems to be required is a cost worth bearing.
  • programme production - a momento of a visit which is no longer available, what is rationale behind this decision?

That would be my initial to do list, thankfully matters on the pitch seem to be well in hand.

YARN | Did you see the memo about this? | Office Space | Video clips by  quotes | 189f29c8 | 紗

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

A tough watch as city owner ! His legacy is bricks & mortar . His football decisions have poor at best . He doesn’t deserve success imo because he’s been too egotistical to seek the right football advice . This goes way before the double mark Ashton debacle . 

I've said this so many times, but there is not a long list of owners out there making perfect managerial appointment after perfect managerial appointment.  Personally I think Derek McInnes and Lee Johnson were good appointments, but realise there are many here who will disagree.  Even Sean O'Driscoll seemed good at the time.  And I think most would agree that Gary Johnson, Steve Cotterill and Nigel Pearson were good appointments.  Other appointments weren't so good, but were arguably worth a punt.  I realise this won't happen, but I'd really like us to drop this myth that all of Steve Lansdown's decisions have been poor.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could you elaborate? My understanding is that it initially arose organically at half time in a Cup tie v Swansea and then took its own life from there. Probably more to it..

Block was half empty at least being a Sunday lunchtime FA Cup game just after Christmas, as I recall those who funnelled to Dolman A Block in old money, E34 Upper in new money and the lower half was basically blocked off.

Is the present situation satisfactory? Probably not. However I don't see any easy solutions, facts on the ground etc.

seems to be an area with extra stewarding required is my only observation. Proximity to opposition fans seems a driver for some.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Let’s hope they aren’t in position for that long in their current guise, and new owners / investors come in and put in a proper structure.

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Plus, the guy who's got responsibility for football decisions - Tinnion - isn't on the board. He's called a "director" but he's not afforded the commensurate position.

The board meetings now consist of two financial guys plus the son of the guy who supplies the finance. I wonder...I just wonder what factor they will give most heed to in those meetings? It might, just might, be finance and only ******* finance.

Fits perfectly with the government's watered down attitude to the regulator though. Where they literally say that financial considerations can take precedence over any other considerations. 

So money is officially more important than fans, football, facilities, location of the stadium, the lot.

It's a pretty clear message.

Agenda

1. Finance
  2. Finance
  3. Finance
  4. Finance
  5. AOB (Finance related)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s hope they aren’t in position for that long in their current guise, and new owners / investors come in and put in a proper structure.

Agenda

1. Finance
  2. Finance
  3. Finance
  4. Finance
  5. AOB (Finance related)

Well good, if that's their field of expertise that's what I want them discussing. If they were poking their noses into the sport I would be worried. 

I am sure we would all love a sport where finance wasn't a big driver, but unfortunately that's not how the real world works.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1