IGNORED

Post Leicester Thread

Silvio Dante

Because things can get lost in the normal match thread and it’s useful to reflect. Few things:

Max - I have been critical but excellent today. No chance with the goal. One poor kick but overall distribution far better - my MoM and his best game of the season for me

Tanner - Excellent defensively, got dragged once or twice but really solid overall - again, best game of the season

CBs - we missed Zak in pace and bringing the ball out but I think we did well. No easy shots, good blocks - it was a penalty but I don’t think that distracts from KN overall

TGH  - An odd pick out maybe but I really like this kid. He always had time, played with head up and generally picked the right ball. He, more than any other sub, drove us forward and I think he’ll be a big player moving forward 

Overall, very good and the containing nearly worked. My only negative was our fans who, when the penalty was given, decided to rush towards the barrier between us and the Leicester fans, knocking kids out of the way. And then spent 20 minutes staring at Leicester fans and not the game. Well done lads.

• Like 15

We mostly defended very well, and were a refereeing decision away from getting an unlikely point 

I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t make more of our limited forays into their half though. Some of our set piece play was very wasteful.

Overall we’ve got to be glad that we’ve got this one out of the way. Their squad is far too good for the Championship.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

My only negative was our fans who, when the penalty was given, decided to rush towards the barrier between us and the Leicester fans, knocking kids out of the way. And then spent 20 minutes staring at Leicester fans and not the game. Well done lads.

I wasn't there today but.

Playing Devil's Advocate, no excuses for pushing let alone past kids but Vardy's antics a low level incitement? Riled up somewhat, sort of predictable kid pushing aside?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Playing Devil's Advocate, no excuses for pushing let alone past kids but Vardy's antics a low level incitement? Riled up somewhat, sort of predictable kid pushing aside?

Nope.

Soon as the penalty was given, a few of ours took it as reason to run towards the Leicester fans - no intent of getting to them as our “top boys” stopped before the barrier. They then spent 20 minutes looking at opposition fans instead of watching the game.

@shahanshahan was near me and had to move when they decided our fans didn’t matter.

Vardy had nowt to do with it. Our “Fans” being ***** did.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pop, our fans were winding him up. Singing "your wife is a grass" at him the whole time. Which is stupid as **** because the bloke famously loves a wind up and feeds off it. The way to wind Jamie Vardy up is to ignore him.

The celebration after he scored and the bow as he was subbed were a funny bit of response to our stupid songs.

We gave it out, we should take it.

On the game. I said that I think it's as encouraging a loss as a loss can be. Max was excellent in goal but a few loose kicks put undue pressure on us. The back four were all very good, and actually dealt with Mr. Vardy quite well.

We had our best attacks when Weimann and Yeboah came on. Yeboah is a bit raw, a bit loose, but he gave Leicester something to think about that Bell and Sykes hadn't quite managed to do. 

I came away feeling pretty good despite the loss.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I wasn’t there (spent the day moving my daughter into Uni so couldn’t even follow it) so thanks for the thoughts of a few posters whose views I respect.

I must admit I thought we had about a 10% chance of getting something today (Hull appear to have got the flukey win someone already does against the best side) so a 1-0 defeat to a penalty is about as good as I expected.

It is clearly a blow to lose Vyner but we didn’t sign Dickie to have him on the bench, Weimann’s return is a plus & we also have a free week coming up.

Interesting that TGH was picked out because as well as our midfield has played I’m still not sure the balance is quite right, especially in terms of scoring goals (doubt anyone expected Matty James to have scored them all so far in the league).

Not sure of the timeframe for TC to return but getting him back is important, block of 3 games coming up includes another real tough one in Leeds who seem to have recovered from a ropey start, we should go into the other two with every confidence of a win, though.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Because things can get lost in the normal match thread and it’s useful to reflect. Few things:

Max - I have been critical but excellent today. No chance with the goal. One poor kick but overall distribution far better - my MoM and his best game of the season for me

Tanner - Excellent defensively, got dragged once or twice but really solid overall - again, best game of the season

CBs - we missed Zak in pace and bringing the ball out but I think we did well. No easy shots, good blocks - it was a penalty but I don’t think that distracts from KN overall

TGH  - An odd pick out maybe but I really like this kid. He always had time, played with head up and generally picked the right ball. He, more than any other sub, drove us forward and I think he’ll be a big player moving forward 

Overall, very good and the containing nearly worked. My only negative was our fans who, when the penalty was given, decided to rush towards the barrier between us and the Leicester fans, knocking kids out of the way. And then spent 20 minutes staring at Leicester fans and not the game. Well done lads.

One of the worst things in football. There’s few more pathetic things than watching a bunch of pissed up blokes spending half the game threatening each other behind the safety of an invisible wall. Not just us, that goes for any team. Millwall and Hull home fans were embarrassing on recent trips.

As for bantering Vardy, all part of the game but have to take it back as well. He’s known for it and by all accounts thrives off it

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

One of the worst things in football. There’s few more pathetic things than watching a bunch of pissed up blokes spending half the game threatening each other behind the safety of an invisible wall. Not just us, that goes for any team. Millwall and Hull home fans were embarrassing on recent trips.

As for bantering Vardy, all part of the game but have to take it back as well. He’s known for it and by all accounts thrives off it

Tbf I don’t have a massive problem with it - if you want to spend £30 on a ticket and have a six hour round trip to make wide arm gestures at a stranger and not watch football, go nuts. Just don’t do it to the detriment of others. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good post & agree with players singled out especially TGH.  He came on & demanded the ball & tried to drive us forward & was positive throughout. Looks a good player & gives us legs in midfield that both James & Williams struggled to provide admittedly against a top side .  I agree midfield hasn’t got the right balance & TGH looks like he could be more creative than current 3. 

You cannot change it yet as would be unfair after some good performances but TGH is wasted at RB & will force himself in probably at expense of Williams.

• Like 4

Overall, very good and the containing nearly worked. 

Pretty much how I saw it. 
I thought Tanner and Pring were really tested, but stood up really well. 
Watching the Pen back it does look like he's looking for it, in real time as he made the challenge I turned away, obviously going to be given. Until then , and after TBF, Naismith was pretty solid along with Dickie. 
A word for Max too, solid and unfussy. Just one rushed clearance .
Like you I was also impressed with TGH, wasn't just a renewed energy when he came on, he moved the ball well and took it forward effectively. Must be close to a start .

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose.

Yeah no excuse for pushing kids but that aside give out then take it and vice versa.

Hopefully he'll get a hot reception at Ashton Gate.

Pushing kids?

Not odd at all, thought he was excellent when he came on.  Joe Williams has had a good season so far but had a ‘mare yesterday.  Everything he did looked rushed and although it was 0-0 when he came off on 58 mins, and we lost 1-0, the 32 mins of TGH were far more potent and actually that period of the game was more even.

I’ve said previously that TGH was signed to play in midfield, covering RB was a bonus (Tanner v.good yesterday), and talk of fans saying things like “three West Brom managers didn’t know his best position”, is just lazy copy-catting.  He’s 21 FFS, West Brom have had superior players, a youngster coming through is gonna have to get minutes where they can.  Add to that, three different managers, that three different opinions, so it really isn’t a surprise that he’s not been allowed to play in his best position…midfield.

(it didn’t do Alex Scott any harm playing at RWB, and although Nige was slated at the time, I don’t think it did Sam Bell either - surely it’s better to play than not, all about getting experience)

So, what we saw yesterday from TGH is what he is all about.  Happy on the ball, happy passing it, getting it, giving it, linking up attacks.  We saw he has a bit of flair on Tuesday too.  He has a rounded midfield skillset.  And he can take a set-piece too, shame keeper didn’t fumble that free-kick.  Our CBs found a willing receiver, whose technique was good enough to take the ball under pressure, that helped us hugely.  It gave Dickie a bit of space too.

I’m not getting carried away, but this has the makings of being as good a signing as Knight.  This could / should be the Williams succession plan.  I can’t believe we won’t make this perm in January.

A changing of the guard in midfield over the coming weeks I sense???

• Like 13

Weirdly felt even more sure and positive about what a good side we’ve turned into after going up yesterday. 

Threw bodies at everything, played good football, weren’t phased by them, kept the ball well largely, just wasteful with our final pass and chances when we had it.

Tanner and Pring were absolutely excellent, little old £200k Tanner and academy product Pring stride for stride against an £8m signing and loanee for Sporting Lisbon. 

Their side is basically lower half Prem, however is above them come end of May will be top 2 at the very worst.

Yeboah trusted to have 45 minutes against a side like that, and not looking out of place. TGH looks an excellent addition and one I’m fairly sure we’ll make permanent early on in Jan. Naismith and Dickie as a CB pairing… imagine thinking we’d have that 18 months ago. We have a lot to be positive and excited about for this season. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf I don’t have a massive problem with it - if you want to spend £30 on a ticket and have a six hour round trip to make wide arm gestures at a stranger and not watch football, go nuts. Just don’t do it to the detriment of others. 

Either that or spending the entire game in the concourse. It goes with the territory though for the ‘big away days’ and unfortunately means we have brain dead knuckle draggers (like most clubs) out in force. Each to their own but yeah it really baffles me as well.

I must admit I found the whole Vardy thing amusing. Fine to give him stick but when he gave it back you have to take it on the chin. Some bloke decked out in Lonsdale trainers came stumbling down the steps to get to the front row and was literally foaming at the mouth. Whilst launching a vitriolic tirade at Vardy he was so angry he was spitting with pretty much every word I just burst out laughing at him.

Genuinely amazes me yet still shocks me in equal measure how people can be so embarrassingly stupid. Still at least he let Vardy have it I spose ???‍♂️

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I wasn’t there (spent the day moving my daughter into Uni so couldn’t even follow it) so thanks for the thoughts of a few posters whose views I respect.

I must admit I thought we had about a 10% chance of getting something today (Hull appear to have got the flukey win someone already does against the best side) so a 1-0 defeat to a penalty is about as good as I expected.

It is clearly a blow to lose Vyner but we didn’t sign Dickie to have him on the bench, Weimann’s return is a plus & we also have a free week coming up.

Interesting that TGH was picked out because as well as our midfield has played I’m still not sure the balance is quite right, especially in terms of scoring goals (doubt anyone expected Matty James to have scored them all so far in the league).

Not sure of the timeframe for TC to return but getting him back is important, block of 3 games coming up includes another real tough one in Leeds who seem to have recovered from a ropey start, we should go into the other two with every confidence of a win, though.

What happened with Viner? I somehow have missed what has happened to him, thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not odd at all, thought he was excellent when he came on.  Joe Williams has had a good season so far but had a ‘mare yesterday.  Everything he did looked rushed and although it was 0-0 when he came off on 58 mins, and we lost 1-0, the 32 mins of TGH were far more potent and actually that period of the game was more even.

I’ve said previously that TGH was signed to play in midfield, covering RB was a bonus (Tanner v.good yesterday), and talk of fans saying things like “three West Brom managers didn’t know his best position”, is just lazy copy-catting.  He’s 21 FFS, West Brom have had superior players, a youngster coming through is gonna have to get minutes where they can.  Add to that, three different managers, that three different opinions, so it really isn’t a surprise that he’s not been allowed to play in his best position…midfield.

(it didn’t do Alex Scott any harm playing at RWB, and although Nige was slated at the time, I don’t think it did Sam Bell either - surely it’s better to play than not, all about getting experience)

So, what we saw yesterday from TGH is what he is all about.  Happy on the ball, happy passing it, getting it, giving it, linking up attacks.  We saw he has a bit of flair on Tuesday too.  He has a rounded midfield skillset.  And he can take a set-piece too, shame keeper didn’t fumble that free-kick.  Our CBs found a willing receiver, whose technique was good enough to take the ball under pressure, that helped us hugely.  It gave Dickie a bit of space too.

I’m not getting carried away, but this has the makings of being as good a signing as Knight.  This could / should be the Williams succession plan.  I can’t believe we won’t make this perm in January.

I’m glad to see this. I didn’t like him at right back defensively v Swansea , but impressed with him Tuesday . He brought a energy & quality when he came . Couldn’t watch the game yesterday,  so happy he impressed . Seems like a good lad as well . 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I will try and defend Williams a bit. He wasn't great, but the MF were never able to get a hold of the game, very 2nd best. James was almost a passenger too, Knight only really bit part but best of the 3 starters only TGH seemed to get a hold of the ball with any great impact . We never seemed to have time to build with any consistency , shame that what I thought was our best move ended with Knight missing the target from the Yeboah pass.

While I'm talking Yeboah, I see he's had criticism in this and other threads. The kid has come on at the end of games to help situations. Tuesday he added impetus and helped regain a hold of a game we were coasting, but Plymouth had got a hold of . Yesterday he chased and harried, caused them to think and set up our best chance. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops , ahead of where Semenyo was at the same age so who knows. 

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I will try and defend Williams a bit. He wasn't great, but the MF were never able to get a hold of the game, very 2nd best. James was almost a passenger too, Knight only really bit part but best of the 3 starters only TGH seemed to get a hold of the ball with any great impact . We never seemed to have time to build with any consistency , shame that what I thought was our best move ended with Knight missing the target from the Yeboah pass.

While I'm talking Yeboah, I see he's had criticism in this and other threads. The kid has come on at the end of games to help situations. Tuesday he added impetus and helped regain a hold of a game we were coasting, but Plymouth had got a hold of . Yesterday he chased and harried, caused them to think and set up our best chance. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops , ahead of where Semenyo was at the same age so who knows. 

Yeah, all 3 MF struggled, but Williams looked rush even when he had time.

Yeboah, I think the person who started a bit of criticism last night replied that he’d gone OTT.  But fwiw I thought he added something (again) when he came on.  So what if he had a shot blocked, so what if he mis-hit a shot-come-cross.

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

ACL injury but might not need surgery . If not , he might be out 6 weeks . If he does then his season is done probably . 

Nige was quite positive though.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Weirdly felt even more sure and positive about what a good side we’ve turned into after going up yesterday. 

Threw bodies at everything, played good football, weren’t phased by them, kept the ball well largely, just wasteful with our final pass and chances when we had it.

Tanner and Pring were absolutely excellent, little old £200k Tanner and academy product Pring stride for stride against an £8m signing and loanee for Sporting Lisbon. 

Their side is basically lower half Prem, however is above them come end of May will be top 2 at the very worst.

Yeboah trusted to have 45 minutes against a side like that, and not looking out of place. TGH looks an excellent addition and one I’m fairly sure we’ll make permanent early on in Jan. Naismith and Dickie as a CB pairing… imagine thinking we’d have that 18 months ago. We have a lot to be positive and excited about for this season. 

Funny how people can see things differently @petehinton 

I thought first half we didn’t keep the ball well enough at all. We defended brilliantly and Max was assured but whilst we all knew we would have to concede possession, when we did get it we gave it back far too easily. Second half we were far better in position and managed to get a bit more territory in the final third. Especially when TGH came on, our use of the ball was far better. 

I thought Tanner was defensively excellent throughout but in possession , in particular when getting in good areas second half he was poor. Pring on the other hand really struggled with Fatawu in the first half (what a serious player he is btw) but second half got to grips with him.

My take from that yesterday was that we competed for long spells against what will surely be the eventual league winners. Yes the gap in class was obvious but we have nothing to be fearful of going forward and it’s clear and refreshing to see the togetherness Nige has instilled in the squad.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If I'd been Vardy I would have done exactly the same after the abuse he (his wife) got all game. If you can't take it don't give it out. 

• Like 3

Given the performance against, in effect, a Premier side in waiting, where do we need to enhance the squad?

May I suggest a goal scoring forward.  Conway may be this (but equally may not) - anyway Conway would need to cover.  Cornick and Wells are never at this stage in their careers going to be a top level goal scoring forward either to take us up or certainly keep us up once promotion gained.  Maybe Yeboah or another of those waiting in the wings will step up.  Remains to be seen.  We need decent experienced cover for Max, and a general strengthening of the squad depth, say a defender and a midfielder.

PS We are unlikely to get another manager like Nige who can produce miracles from young players.  For me, without a shadow of a doubt in my over 70 years of following City, I don’t think we have ever had a manager who has achieved so much with so little.  In Nige we trust - it’s just SL and JL we don’t!

• Like 6

Game itself, couldn't follow any of it in real time but it sounds like we set up well. Leicester had to work quite hard to unpick the lock? To undo the rubix cube.

We had one or two half chances but let's be fair a couple of years ago we could have subsidised, especially with Vyner being out just before. Either the penalty would have been part of the collapse or kicked it off.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous