IGNORED

Post Leicester Thread

Silvio Dante

I enjoyed yesterday game more than the Plymouth match , we showed yesterday we have a style of playing which was excellent defence and midfield were brilliant the only thing I would say is a strong centre forward who can hold the ball up would be useful, the times we hit Nakhi it came straight back against the 6’4 defender I like Nakhi that’s not a criticism against him at all 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I wasn’t there (spent the day moving my daughter into Uni so couldn’t even follow it) so thanks for the thoughts of a few posters whose views I respect.

I must admit I thought we had about a 10% chance of getting something today (Hull appear to have got the flukey win someone already does against the best side) so a 1-0 defeat to a penalty is about as good as I expected.

It is clearly a blow to lose Vyner but we didn’t sign Dickie to have him on the bench, Weimann’s return is a plus & we also have a free week coming up.

Interesting that TGH was picked out because as well as our midfield has played I’m still not sure the balance is quite right, especially in terms of scoring goals (doubt anyone expected Matty James to have scored them all so far in the league).

Not sure of the timeframe for TC to return but getting him back is important, block of 3 games coming up includes another real tough one in Leeds who seem to have recovered from a ropey start, we should go into the other two with every confidence of a win, though.

I managed to do both. Moved my daughter into Uni at Leicester. Fixture computer was kind. Very emotional day! Shattered afterwards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

No.  Absolutely not.  Mindless and unpleasant.

…… So would you prefer we roll out a red carpet and go and ask him for his autograph??

Sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but give me an intimidating AG any day.  Anything we can do to make the opposition uncomfortable, then that’ll do for me.  

Maybe Vardy thrives on that type of thing, but does that also go for his team mates, or does it help tip the contest in our favour??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

…… So would you prefer we roll out a red carpet and go and ask him for his autograph??

Sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but give me an intimidating AG any day.  Anything we can do to make the opposition uncomfortable, then that’ll do for me.  

Maybe Vardy thrives on that type of thing, but does that also go for his team mates, or does it help tip the contest in our favour??

He should expect a tough reception I tend to agree. Whether he will get one is a different issue but he knows how it is, fans have long memories etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He should expect a tough reception I tend to agree. Whether he will get one is a different issue but he knows how it is, fans have long memories etc.

We all know it doesn’t always work out Mr Pop and I put forward Billy Sharp at Sheff utd as a perfect example of someone who always seemed to rub our noses in it!

On the other hand, we’ve seen other players who’s game has turned to absolute sh1t when the crowd has got on their back, so if we can help the team in any way, I’m good with that.  

Maybe worth us selecting someone more effectable in the Leicester side at the Gate!?

• Like 1

Winding opponents up is part and parcel of the game. I remember Stanley Where’s your wife gone Bowles at AG. HE LAUGHED and shrugged his shoulders (and twenty minutes later broke his leg for the record)

Point is give out expect it back, that’s always been the way (Cantona launching himself was probably a bit OTTmind you). 

Vardy gives it back, when he can, particularly in this case in view of his Mrs needing him to keep playing until he is 50 to pay the costs and the fact they both look like fools. 

When people get close to the truth, people do boil over. At the end of the day he scored a Peno. So what. Now every club in the country knows how to get him going so he better get used to it!!

• Like 2

On 24/09/2023 at 10:13, petehinton said:

Weirdly felt even more sure and positive about what a good side we’ve turned into after going up yesterday. 

Threw bodies at everything, played good football, weren’t phased by them, kept the ball well largely, just wasteful with our final pass and chances when we had it.

Tanner and Pring were absolutely excellent, little old £200k Tanner and academy product Pring stride for stride against an £8m signing and loanee for Sporting Lisbon. 

Their side is basically lower half Prem, however is above them come end of May will be top 2 at the very worst.

Yeboah trusted to have 45 minutes against a side like that, and not looking out of place. TGH looks an excellent addition and one I’m fairly sure we’ll make permanent early on in Jan. Naismith and Dickie as a CB pairing… imagine thinking we’d have that 18 months ago. We have a lot to be positive and excited about for this season. 

I thought we looked a fairly limited, albeit hard-working, team that didn’t have the confidence to pass the ball and retain possession. Lots of long ball in the hope that are runners could get on the end of it.  Spent most of the match defending. Rarely looked like scoring. Ordinary final ball. 
I was interested to note their manager thought they’d played a perfect match. Controlled the game. Did what they had to. Thanks for coming. 
The reaction from our fans has reminded me of Norwich away last season when we played sort of ok but still lost. Underline lost.
Leicester did what they needed to. Their goal felt as inevitable as the sun rising. Our failure to score felt as inevitable as the sun setting. The match, for me, showed the distance we still have to go. 

• Like 3

On 24/09/2023 at 17:20, REDOXO said:

Winding opponents up is part and parcel of the game. I remember Stanley Where’s your wife gone Bowles at AG. HE LAUGHED and shrugged his shoulders (and twenty minutes later broke his leg for the record

Yes. In front of the old enclosure ! I was not far from that

23 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I thought we looked a fairly limited, albeit hard-working, team that didn’t have the confidence to pass the ball and retain possession. Lots of long ball in the hope that are runners could get on the end of it.  Spent most of the match defending. Rarely looked like scoring. Ordinary final ball. 
I was interested to note their manager thought they’d played a perfect match. Controlled the game. Did what they had to. Thanks for coming. 
The reaction from our fans has reminded me of Norwich away last season when we played sort of ok but still lost. Underline lost.
Leicester did what they needed to. Their goal felt as inevitable as the sun rising. Our failure to score felt as inevitable as the sun setting. The match, for me, showed the distance we still have to go. 

Agree with most of this except the Norwich bit, we were excellent against Norwich and fully deserved a win, but lost.

In the match day thread, I was critical (whilst accepting the quality of the opposition and we defended well), that we gave them to much respect and did not press them high enough, thoughts of Rob Dickie

“Potentially we showed them a bit too much respect. When we went after them a little bit, when we were 1-0 down - it’s funny in football, sometimes it takes going 1-0 down to try something different. Maybe I would have liked us to be a bit more aggressive but, at the same time, I can understand the wariness of coming here because you can get picked off very easily.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Agree with most of this except the Norwich bit, we were excellent against Norwich and fully deserved a win, but lost.

In the match day thread, I was critical (whilst accepting the quality of the opposition and we defended well), that we gave them to much respect and did not press them high enough, thoughts of Rob Dickie

“Potentially we showed them a bit too much respect. When we went after them a little bit, when we were 1-0 down - it’s funny in football, sometimes it takes going 1-0 down to try something different. Maybe I would have liked us to be a bit more aggressive but, at the same time, I can understand the wariness of coming here because you can get picked off very easily.

My comments on the match day thread were we gave them too much respect for the first hour. Felt like a minority view point so was interested to hear Dickie say it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

For me, ‘deserved to win’ is the most meaningless phrase in football. You can ‘play well’ (nice passing, possession, a few chances) but only one thing matters. That night against Norwich, we gave them two goals (what do you ‘deserve’ for that?) and we barely threatened to score after it went to 3-1. Antoine popped up with a goal but that apart they held us at arms’ length. Attractive, entertaining match and all but…we lost. There’s a difference between playing well and deserving something. I tend to largely focus on how many times you can get the ball over their line compared to how many times they get the ball over ours when it comes to deserving to win. 

15 hours ago, firstdivision said:

The match, for me, showed the distance we still have to go. 

The challenge back is - do we need to go as far as Leicester?

They are a top class side. We can be worse than them and achieve our goals.

(I get what you’re saying though)

14 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

My comments on the match day thread were we gave them too much respect for the first hour. Felt like a minority view point so was interested to hear Dickie say it. 

The big question is - what happens if you press high, you get picked off and end up losing by several.

Its all ifs, buts and maybes.

In some respects we hung in there, executed the game-plan as well as possible and used our subs to alter our approach.

In a very black and white view, the mid/low-block starters (up to 58 mins) drew 0-0.  The higher press finishers (last 32 mins) lost 1-0.

So, if you were to correlate “too much respect” you could argue that was the right approach???

Thoughts?

On 24/09/2023 at 03:13, Silvio Dante said:

@shahanshahan was near me and had to move when they decided our fans didn’t matter.

Vardy had nowt to do with it. Our “Fans” being ***** did.

Yeah, I thought that was annoying they came over, especially to where I happened to me (to be honest, I didn't know my seat was there when I booked my ticket). I would have tried to ask them to move but I had a feeling that the hostile situation could have worsened.

In another situation, you should have said "Hi" but in this one it was understandable not to 😅

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The challenge back is - do we need to go as far as Leicester?

They are a top class side. We can be worse than them and achieve our goals.

(I get what you’re saying though)

The big question is - what happens if you press high, you get picked off and end up losing by several.

Its all ifs, buts and maybes.

In some respects we hung in there, executed the game-plan as well as possible and used our subs to alter our approach.

In a very black and white view, the mid/low-block starters (up to 58 mins) drew 0-0.  The higher press finishers (last 32 mins) lost 1-0.

So, if you were to correlate “too much respect” you could argue that was the right approach???

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t correlate respect to how high we press.