IGNORED

Max...top shot stopper.

spudski

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s the game by game stats if anyone is interested:

image.thumb.png.e97a3a1e2b74fac010efad0ccd34ec54.png

Glad to say , that Brum game XG looks a bit of an anomaly. At least so far.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Like Silvio, I don’t think Max is brilliant with his distribution, ie not always the greatest decision-maker or executor, but he generally has a better starting position

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think his distribution has improved greatly this season from a low starting point, his long passing is now quite good imo, he's largely cut out the slow lofty kicks which gives the opposition time to react to them.

All about perspective, which  is interesting  

I think he was better than Bentley from the get go, not perfect by any means but a step up. I do think it dropped off a little the end of last yer and early this, but recently I felt like he was striking the ball lower and firmer. He has hit some very good passes into MF, also duffed some and caused problems, I guess it depends what his instructions are. 
Definite room for improvement though.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

2 definitely, and seen the same mistakes more than once in a city shirt. 3rd was a good long range strike but maybe not positioned right. 

Yeah good strike but should be a few yards further off his line and then saves that. One of those that isn’t massively his fault but he will still be disappointed. Weirdly when I played in goal I hated them the most, everyone saying you couldn’t do anything about it but you knew you could have! 

IMG_3777.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frenchred said:

Stats can be made to show anything you want. Anyone got a stat for how many saves he's had to make as a result of his mistakes and/or giving the ball away himself

He's not good enough to be number 1, never had been and doubt he ever will be

There’s always one isn’t there 😂 the fact is he’s a very good shot stopper, to put a spin on your own words, always has been and always will be 😊 it’s a great stat for Max, and I think the majority of fans are now starting to appreciate we’ve become a much better side with him in it. 

Just looked at the Goals. Bentley should do better with the 2nd , the 1st if you're being really picky could cover his near post a little better and the last is a great strike that really bends at speed. You don't want to see your keeper beaten from 25 yards, but you have to give credit to the strike . 

• Like 1

I think Max's distribution has always been very good.  Much better than Bents.  

Because he is confident in that part of his game it does mean he attempts more ambitious passes which don't always come off.  

I'd argue it is the difference between the midfielder with 100% pass accuracy who always passes back or sideways, and one with 85% that plays more adventurous forward passes that don't always come off.

I'd wager we are much quicker converting defence into attack with Max in goal, albeit he does attempt an overambitious pass more frequently that can be intercepted.  Memorably bad sometime, which leaves some with the impression that his distribution is poorer than it actually is.

It's a bit like making Naismith in defence.  He may give the ball away on occasion, but on balance we are a better team with him playing. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

'd argue it is the difference between the midfielder with 100% pass accuracy who always passes back or sideways, and one with 85% that plays more adventurous forward passes that don't always come off.

Very true…Kal Naismith’s passing accuracy is below average, but his volume of progressive and long passes is one of the highest in the champ.  I’m sure he’s quite capable of knocking 20-30 passes to Dickie / Vyner and another 20-30 to Pring and get it back, repeat, but he tries more ambitious stuff at higher risk.

On the flipside there are times when I think he could play a bit simpler! 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Surely that comes with experience and Max hasn’t been number 1 in a Championship side for all that long. He looks very capable to me and still has room for improvement.

Yep, completely agree.

As I said, he'll only get better.

4 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I think Max's distribution has always been very good.  Much better than Bents.  

Apart from when he kicks it straight into touch from a GK. Which still happens fairly frequently.

I like MOL but I think his kicking is his weakest suit. Hasn't got either the power or the accuracy of some in this division.

It's all good. It can be worked upon. In his position, he's still developing. Keepers should enjoy nice long careers.

During open play he does recycle the ball quite promptly and accurately, which is great to see. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Just looked at the Goals. Bentley should do better with the 2nd , the 1st if you're being really picky could cover his near post a little better and the last is a great strike that really bends at speed. You don't want to see your keeper beaten from 25 yards, but you have to give credit to the strike . 

Exactly how I saw it.

2nd goal is really poor from him, first one he probably could have done better, 3rd had no chance.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Shots 

Well yes.😉

Though I was talking about needing to know the underlying data before drawing a conclusion.

Think of the kind of misleading stuff of the "eating bacon leads to a 50% increase in the risk of cancer" variety that appears in the media. Sounds alarming but what if the baseline probability of you getting cancer is 1%? The alleged 50% increase raises the risk to 1.5% which may just be within the margin for error. Quite apart from all the other variables like genetics, age, gender, ethnicity etc.

No need to stop having a bacon sarnie the morning after a few pints then!👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Well yes.😉

Though I was talking about needing to know the underlying data before drawing a conclusion.

Think of the kind of misleading stuff of the "eating bacon leads to a 50% increase in the risk of cancer" variety that appears in the media. Sounds alarming but what if the baseline probability of you getting cancer is 1%? The alleged 50% increase raises the risk to 1.5% which may just be within the margin for error. Quite apart from all the other variables like genetics, age, gender, ethnicity etc.

No need to stop having a bacon sarnie the morning after a few pints then!👍

Was watching QI last night, the probability of dying a sudden death in 40 in a million.  Eating 1k bananas raises that to 41.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly how I saw it.

2nd goal is really poor from him, first one he probably could have done better, 3rd had no chance.

It looks like he has no chance on the third as he isn’t far enough off his line. First thing I tell kids when I coach them is how far to be off their line.  It makes a massive difference to the difficulty of the save

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

It looks like he has no chance on the third as he isn’t far enough off his line. First thing I tell kids when I coach them is how far to be off their line.  It makes a massive difference to the difficulty of the save

I do agree that he should probably be closer to his 6-yard line than the 2-3 yards off of his line that he was.  2-3 yards is no-man’s land isn’t it?  But you do run the risk of a curler around you with room on either side and / or to get it around, over and back down.  You can even set a right foot shot outside the right hand post and back again.  Not enough pressure on Taylor is part of the problem too.  That doesn’t help a keeper set himself.

One where I’d give credit to the forward more than blame the keeper per se.

Can you remember Paul Robinson (Leeds / Spurs)?  He was another who stayed too near his line.  Great reaction keeper close-up, but boy did he get beaten by lots of shots from distance.  Similar to Bents in that respect.  Made the goal appear bigger than it was.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do agree that he should probably be closer to his 6-yard line than the 2-3 yards off of his line that he was.  2-3 yards is no-man’s land isn’t it?  But you do run the risk of a curler around you with room on either side and / or to get it around, over and back down.  You can even set a right foot shot outside the right hand post and back again.  Not enough pressure on Taylor is part of the problem too.  That doesn’t help a keeper set himself.

One where I’d give credit to the forward more than blame the keeper per se.

Can you remember Paul Robinson (Leeds / Spurs)?  He was another who stayed too near his line.  Great reaction keeper close-up, but boy did he get beaten by lots of shots from distance.  Similar to Bents in that respect.  Made the goal appear bigger than it was.

Same as Tom Heaton when he was here and then he went to Burnley and Billy Mercer improved him hugely 

On 26/09/2023 at 13:59, frenchred said:

Stats can be made to show anything you want. Anyone got a stat for how many saves he's had to make as a result of his mistakes and/or giving the ball away himself

He's not good enough to be number 1, never had been and doubt he ever will be

Not as high I’d guess as Bents, how many of his saves were due to not commanding his area, not coming for crosses, or batting shots into the area rather than either catching them or deflecting them wide. If Max isn’t good enough for number 1, then neither was Bents. 

On 26/09/2023 at 13:00, Selred said:

Glad for Max, he's really steady but also this stat shows he faces far too many shots, so we need to close players down more. 

I think Onana had conceded 7 goals in the 9 shots he's faced in the past 7 games. Okay that's poor shot stopping, but also shows that United don't allow teams to get many shots away.

Forgive me but how does a percentage of shots on goal saved state show he's faced too many shots?