IGNORED

John Eustace sacked

Paulton Red

Changing a manager when doing well is not necessarily a bad move if a better more successful and experienced of the level above happens to become available. Rooney isn't that though, managerial wise. Be interesting to see how he gets on without Rosenior as his number 2.

As an aside i can imagine there are City fans looking on jealously at this move wishing we had an owner who did this kind of thing regardless of how daft it sounds

Welcome t9 modern football , it’s all about the brand , Rooney is a household name eustace is not I’m afraid ,

nothing to do with how good they are as managers , this could go seriously tits up , however if it goes ok the owners will consider it a master stroke . 

• Like 2

Does seem like an odd move and one certainly driven by the name. 
However, I’ll buck the trend of this thread so far …. 
Much to my surprise, Rooney did actually do ok at Derby (I’m sure Rosenior was a good assistant too). 
I thought he’d fail massively in that job but he certainly seemed to have something about his management to be able to galvanise that squad at that time. 

He’s also done ‘kind of ok’ in the MLS. 
Started slowly at DC and they finished bottom of their conference last season but he again seems to have stabilised things there and improved them this season. 

Yes, ditching Eustice right now is a ridiculous decision, but it’s one that’s been very much expected by manager, players and fans all season since the takeover.  
Rooney, whilst still very new in his managerial career, hasn’t actually done too badly in his 2 roles so far. Much to my initial surprise. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, redkev said:

Welcome t9 modern football , it’s all about the brand , Rooney is a household name eustace is not I’m afraid ,

nothing to do with how good they are as managers , this could go seriously tits up , however if it goes ok the owners will consider it a master stroke . 

It does make me wonder, if we got new US owners this season, would they sack NP and appoint a 'name'.

Albeit they would throw some money at it too unlike the current incumbent post Scott sale!

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, RedM said:

TV deal perhaps, like Sunderland, Wrexham etc?

God, can you imagine if this was true?  If i was in John Eustace's shoes i'd be considering legal action for wrongful dismissal or something. There must be grounds for some sort of legal action if this was the reason for it.

You think not @grifty ?

New owners of clubs tend to want their own man sooner or later, this is a prime example.

I am still unhappy with the amount we spent in the summer post Scott and given he went but who knows if a  hypothetical owner would get rid of NP. It would be shocking to us  and grossly unfair but it's a common occurrence in football.

I'm very much NP in and tbh a new 2-3 year deal and a bigger budget is what's required IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

God, can you imagine if this was true?  If i was in John Eustace's shoes i'd be considering legal action for wrongful dismissal or something. There must be grounds for some sort of legal action if this was the reason for it.

Probably getting his contract paid up so why go to the hassle

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His timing is brilliant.  It’s almost like he’s making it up.  

Now now Dave be nice. Roy is a friend of mine....

When I say friend , I follow him on Twitter and I've stopped calling him a ***t

I do wonder what he will Tweet about when Nige does move on.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Probably getting his contract paid up so why go to the hassle

Principle? Was his pay up enough/acceptable in this circumstance?  Surely somewhere a line has to be drawn at some point.

Appreciate it's probably not the reason for him leaving but it's an interesting thought.

14 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Principle? Was his pay up enough/acceptable in this circumstance?  Surely somewhere a line has to be drawn at some point.

Appreciate it's probably not the reason for him leaving but it's an interesting thought.

Er, I'm not really sure what you're getting het up about.

Birmingham have just broken a contract. The repercussions will be no more or less than for any other club that chose to dispense with their manager's service, subject to contract.

Any pay-off would form part of a legal agreement. They're not going to make his contract paid up unilaterally.

The actual agreement can be anything both parties agree to, but realistically it won't involve more money than the outstanding contract is worth. And rather than a payoff, they might agree to continue to pay his salary/difference in salary if he finds another job until completion of the contract term.

He'll only be taking legal action if they can't come to a reasonale compromise.

• Flames 1

Just now, Sleepy1968 said:

Er, I'm not really sure what you're getting het up about.

Birmingham have just broken a contract. The repercussions will be no more or less than for any other club that chose to dispense with their manager's service, subject to contract.

Any pay-off would form part of a legal agreement. They're not going to make his contract paid up unilaterally.

The actual agreement can be anything both parties agree to, but realistically it won't involve more money than the outstanding contract is worth. And rather than a payoff, they might agree to continue to pay his salary/difference in salary if he finds another job until completion of the contract term.

He'll only be taking legal action if they can't come to a reasonale compromise.

My point was related to the comment suggested earlier by someone else - the hypothetical reason he might have been sacked - which i dont think is a reasonable or justifiable reason to sack someone.  Just talking about that point more. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Does seem like an odd move and one certainly driven by the name. 
However, I’ll buck the trend of this thread so far …. 
Much to my surprise, Rooney did actually do ok at Derby (I’m sure Rosenior was a good assistant too). 
I thought he’d fail massively in that job but he certainly seemed to have something about his management to be able to galvanise that squad at that time. 

He’s also done ‘kind of ok’ in the MLS. 
Started slowly at DC and they finished bottom of their conference last season but he again seems to have stabilised things there and improved them this season. 

Yes, ditching Eustice right now is a ridiculous decision, but it’s one that’s been very much expected by manager, players and fans all season since the takeover.  
Rooney, whilst still very new in his managerial career, hasn’t actually done too badly in his 2 roles so far. Much to my initial surprise. 

Agreed, it isn’t like the Zola decision at all.

Still incredibly harsh on a bloke who took over a shitshow & saved them.

Doubt he’ll be out of work too long though, decent CV.

• Like 3