IGNORED

Coventry City at home match thread

17 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Wouldn't say we're rewriting history, we're just interpreting it more accurately.

I agree we were crap for the first 35 minutes and that Coventry looked better than us. But equally, as you've acknowledged, Coventry created few/no good chances. They relied on speculative efforts from outside the box and managed 1 shot on target in the entire game. We were playing poorly, but that doesn't mean we deserved to be 3-0 down as many were suggesting at the time.

I'd have liked the performance to be better today, but I think the idea that we deserved to lose the game is inaccurate when you look at the (lack of) chances for both teams. 0-0 would probably have been the fairest result! (FWIW, both teams had an xG of under 0.5 in the match).

Only one was on target, but two hit the bar. A few centimetres, maybe millimetres, under and we've conceded.

We were as abjectly awful until the Knight for Roberts subbing as I've ever seen City. Just not in it. 

After the subbing and shape change, we were a different proposition.  Not dominating possession, but much more comfortable defending and able to worry Coventry when we attacked. Had the whole game been like that, no one would consider it a "smash & grab".

Dickie and King are rightly taking plaudits for their play, but yesterday showed how important Jason Knight is to us, I think. 

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dickie and King are rightly taking plaudits for their play, but yesterday showed how important Jason Knight is to us, I think. 

I thought Knight used up so much energy (after being ill) chasing the ball, blocking channels, etc, that when he did get the ball he was too tired to do much with it.  Not a criticism, more a compliment of the running he does that will go unnoticed.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Swede said:

I cannot understand how we won that match yesterday! We were dreadful, very passive, and only improved when going to a back 4. Really feel sorry for Roberts he looked like a fish out of water. In fairness Cov didn't create much although their passing and movement really put us to shame. Still, it's three points but I expect us to at least be competitive. Looking at the young bench yesterday really shows how a few injuries could actually undo all of Nige's good work. Dickie was brilliant, King read the game well and showed all his experience. Equally Cam Pring's versatility shows why Dasilva (great player)is not missed.

Coventry got all the way to the play off final last season whilst putting in many performances which were similar to our performance yesterday. They just had the ability to grind out results whilst not playing particularly well. Something which up until now we've struggled with.

Yes we'd all love to watch free flowing attacking football every week. But sometimes you do just need to grind out results when you're not playing well etc or have a depleted team. 

In the early days of Nige being here, wed have took a hiding yesterday. The fact we won shows the mentality we now have in the squad. 

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes my thought during the match yesterday was that Knight now has to be one of the first names on our team sheet (along with Max and Matty James)

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Shout out for TGH too,we know he's not a right back but he was very tidy today in his proper position 

Agree - I liked the look of him in midfield. Good signing. Good dead-ball delivery too (hence the goal) - noticed quite a quirky run-up too - high leg/skip/dressage-horse kind of thing - effective though! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Roberts was abysmal.

If rumours are true, and he's been moaning about not starting. However, he did nothing to bolster his case and justify future selection.

He ain't as good as he seems to think he is.

What rumours are these? First I’ve heard/read about any dissent on his part. Looks a player low on confidence to me. 

20 hours ago, redkev said:

Did anyone else notice a little group ( about 20 ) cov fans looking for and trying to cause hassle today 

I first noticed them on the waterfront along with other cov fans ( who were just having a drink and behaving ) then I seen them near the bottom end of north street neat the spanish bar playing up then again whilst walking past the rising sun , the did have a couple of coppers in tow with them the whole way but what made me laugh was that there were about 20-30 city fans within spitting distance of them the whole way , also seen a little altercation at the top end of the park on my out ( probably the same little group ) generally thought cov fans were pretty decent tbh 

Should have gone up West Street. 

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've just listened to Robins post match interview. He described their performance as brilliant and outstanding and that they should have won. Whilst I agree we didn't play well, I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying they was outstanding. 0-0 would have been a fair result. 

They were technically way above us on the day.

But they didn't have one player with an end product after millions spent on that squad, not impressed at all.

The closest they came to scoring were speculative efforts that hit the top of the bar twice and another straight at Max. 

We were way off and quite passive the first 25 minutes or so and they should have filled their boots at that time (should have scored a couple) but failed to do so. Brilliant performance :laughcont:.

Hopefully we'll have a couple of our seven first teamers who were not available yesterday back for the Ipswich game. We'll need them.

I know we won't be seeing Atkinson or Benarous for some time with Vyner and Wells out for a few weeks, but Naismith, Williams, and Tanner being available would be a boost and Knight looks as if he's recovered.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've just listened to Robins post match interview. He described their performance as brilliant and outstanding and that they should have won. Whilst I agree we didn't play well, I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying they was outstanding. 0-0 would have been a fair result. 

0-0 would have been a pretty harsh scoreline, seeing as we scored 1 and they had no shots on target....