IGNORED

Coventry City at home match thread

That was a very satisfying win. We could have been a couple down by the time we scored.

2nd half was much more even. They only had one shot on target for all of their possession and pressure, they hit the bar too.

It wasn't spectacular but we are somewhat wrecked with injuries. Good win v the playoff finalists, we dont beat them all that often. That's us somewhat square now given we should have beaten Stoke but we faded horribly.

Today the opposite on one level. Williams wasn't even mentioned in the press conference and I doubt Knight was fully fit. We still have to manage Conway sensibly and perhaps Weimann to an extent.

30 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Interesting seeing how many of our fans feel that we "got battered" today.

We restricted Coventry to 1 shot on target. I can't remember them having a big chance all game.

The narrative seems to be rather different when we're the team who only manages 1 shot on target!

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Max had 0 saves to make, and them ‘hitting the bar’ is basically the same as saying they hit two shots off target as they pretty much clipped the top of the bar whilst heading over. Differently story if they crash off the bar and create a goal mouth scramble or something. 

You're totally rewriting history if you suggest that we weren't dominated in that first half. No, they didn't create chances, and they'll be kicking themselves for that, but they looked a league above us. We we were just smashing the ball upfield or giving it away. 

If we hadn't have changed formation we might have lost 3-0, but we'll never know. 

I'm not sure your arguments based on shot stats change the perspective. We were shit for 35 minutes. 

Nige made a mistake with the formation. He made a great change by going back to 4-3-3, and he got us much better prepared for the second half.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin
10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Is that the same coaching staff that decided we should go three at the back for the first 38 minutes. 😂😂

Tbf, if Knight had 90 mins in him he'd have started, so the back 5 did a good job somehow keeping it to nil til the point he could come on.

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're totally rewriting history if you suggest that we weren't dominated in that first half. No, they didn't create chances, and they'll be kicking themselves for that, but they looked a league above us. We we were just smashing the ball upfield or giving it away. 

If we hadn't have changed formation we might have lost 3-0, but we'll never know. 

I'm not sure your arguments based on shot stats change the perspective. We were shit for 35 minutes. 

Nige made a mistake with the formation. He made a great change by going back to 4-3-3, and he got us much better prepared for the second half.

I’m not saying we weren’t. Dominated for 30 minutes definitely. But its not like we were being absolutely peppered non stop and Max had a worldy. 

• Like 1

That was a weird game.

I can only think of a couple of players who did't play well - Conway and Max, yet as a team we were awful for most of the game.

Conway looked way off being ready but obviously needed the minutes. He really struggled against their centre backs with the little service he got. 90% of it was in the air. Cornick put himself about when he replaced Conway and gave their CBs a game.

Max dropped us in it often with his crap distribution. At one point in the first half, instead of a pass to Sykes on the floor, he lobbed it to him at head height with the opposition bearing down on him just outside our area. Sykes rightly gave him a bollocking. I thought Max was awful today and a bit of a liability.

For me the standouts were Dickie (MoM), TGH, and Pring. James and King did well.

Lucky to get that win, if Coventry could finish their chances they would have won by three and they were miles better than us technically.

But the effort and committment from the players was exemplary, shame about the lack of quality. And the support towards the end was really good and, I think, helped the players.

End of the day its 1-0 and three points which puts us 8th, out of the top 6 by one point which is mental tbh.

33 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Is that the same coaching staff that decided we should go three at the back for the first 38 minutes. 😂😂

If the same coaching staff knew in advance that Roberts would have what is likely to be the worst half hour of his football career they might have taken a different approach. I’m guessing you knew that would happen?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Conway looked way off being ready but obviously needed the minutes. He really struggled against their centre backs with the little service he got. 90% of it was in the air. Cornick put himself about when he replaced Conway and gave their CBs a game.

Would quite like to see Cornick and Conway together as an option. Cornick’s appearance summed him up for me, some of it’s clumsy and so on, but you feel he’s always in the game and as you say, opponents know they’ve a game on their hands. Service wasn’t amazing, but none of our starting front three really got involved enough, Cornick (and Yeboah) caused more problems (accepting Coventry searching for a win maybe left more space than the starting three had access to). 

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice a little group ( about 20 ) cov fans looking for and trying to cause hassle today 

I first noticed them on the waterfront along with other cov fans ( who were just having a drink and behaving ) then I seen them near the bottom end of north street neat the spanish bar playing up then again whilst walking past the rising sun , the did have a couple of coppers in tow with them the whole way but what made me laugh was that there were about 20-30 city fans within spitting distance of them the whole way , also seen a little altercation at the top end of the park on my out ( probably the same little group ) generally thought cov fans were pretty decent tbh 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That was a weird game.

I can only think of a couple of players who did't play well - Conway and Max, yet as a team we were awful for most of the game.

Max dropped us in it often with his crap distribution. At one point in the first half, instead of a pass to Sykes on the floor, he lobbed it to him at head height with the opposition bearing down on him just outside our area. Sykes rightly gave him a bollocking. I thought Max was awful today and a bit of a liability.

For me the standouts were Dickie (MoM), TGH, and Pring. James and King did well.

Lucky to get that win, if Coventry could finish their chances they would have won by three and they were miles better than us technically.

But the effort and committment from the players was exemplary, shame about the lack of quality. And the support towards the end was really good and, I think, helped the players.

End of the day its 1-0 and three points which puts us 8th, out of the top 6 by one point which is mental tbh.

Agree about Conway , however he has been out a fair while , today also had little service and was up against a very physical experiaced centre half in mcfayzan ( or what ever his name is 

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If the same coaching staff knew in advance that Roberts would have what is likely to be the worst half hour of his football career they might have taken a different approach. I’m guessing you knew that would happen?

Yeah, they don't pick the formation hoping it doesn't work do they.

It got changed when it was obvious it could not be made to work. (I don't think either wing back were playing well, and JD seemed to have acres of space going forward.)

• Like 2