IGNORED

He really did leap like a Salmon...

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember being in tears walking out of the ground the day I went to see him play in the reserves on his comeback and seeing him being carried off the pitch again. 

Perhaps my saddest day as a City supporter.

Such a cruel injury he sustained against Shilton. A crying shame the medical knowledge and appropriate surgery and rehabilitation weren't available to him in those days.

On a happier note, happy birthday Cheese and thanks for the memories 👍

Edited by Red Shadow
  • Like 4

I reckon I saw all all of the home goals and about a third of the away.

So many on here don’t think a bit of height up front is useful……I think it’s essential.

Gives the defence one more thing to think about and cover ,as long as the team doesn’t resort to lazy long ball lumping.

Loved the Cheese ,what a gun forward he was.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Such a cruel injury he sustained against Shilton. A crying shame the medical knowledge and appropriate surgery and rehabilitation weren't available to him in those days.

On a happier note, happy birthday Cheese and thanks for the memories 👍

I can still picture that injury v Stoke vividly. I was in line with it in the Dolman. What might have been. That certainly was the highs and lows of football in the space of 3 days - a starring role v Arsenal in our first match in Div 1 for 65 years, the winner, and an after match interview with Brian Moore on the Big Match on the Saturday, and then this on the Tuesday. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, eardun said:

I can still picture that injury v Stoke vividly. I was in line with it in the Dolman. What might have been. That certainly was the highs and lows of football in the space of 3 days - a starring role v Arsenal in our first match in Div 1 for 65 years, the winner, and an after match interview with Brian Moore on the Big Match on the Saturday, and then this on the Tuesday. 

Could have written this myself...convinced we went downhill from that moment on...we never really recovered from the loss of him to survive the 1st Div....our time in 1st Div could have been so different...at least that's what I have convinced myself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, extonsred said:

Could have written this myself...convinced we went downhill from that moment on...we never really recovered from the loss of him to survive the 1st Div....our time in 1st Div could have been so different...at least that's what I have convinced myself. 

Glad to say I missed that match on holiday, What a player.

12 hours ago, eardun said:

Still say it was the way Shilton came out to go for the ball with his foot up then bringing it down on Cheesley knee and i was in the East End

• Like 1

I remember those years well. Great years. If Cheese did not get that injury playing the Gunners those next seasons in the topflight may have eventuated in European football. We can only but dream and think back but they were glorious years for the club.