IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I feel very uncomfortable reading comments about Nigels health. Not yours but others that have said Nigels health should be a consideration about whether he continues in his role and if he gets a new contract. 

His health should not be a consideration in either, it would be illegal for it to be a consideration. Proving that it is a consideration tho is a different matter. 

Nige could quite rightly go off sick for as long as he needs to and there is nothing the club could legally do.

I think he should be applauded for continuing to work despite the discomfort he is in. 

For a club that often celebrates the good they do, like donating food, their attitude towards Nigels health is disgusting and just makes all the other stuff they do look like a PR stunt.

Well, technically he couldn’t go off sick for as long as he wants. He’s got a contract until the end of June.
If he needs to be off sick until the end of June then he’s perfectly entitled to. 
Whether the club renew his contract beyond June is highly highly relevant to his health situation. 
He’s a contracted employee in a role in an industry which has an average lifespan of about 14 months. 
If a manager is unable to manage the team then the club would have every right to not consider a contract renewal. 

This isn’t “normal” employment law here. His contract is up. It doesn’t have to be renewed. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think his health is absolutely relevant. 
Others may know more than me, but as far as I’m aware, with Nigel’s current back situation, he’s very rarely been at training in the past few weeks. 
I know some folks on here know and hear things from a few players, so no doubt they’d be able to confirm. 

But basically, if the manager is too unwell to attend training, then he’s not really able to fulfil the material duties of being a manager. 
Therefore, why would he be offered a new contract at this moment in time whilst his health and thus his ability to fulfil the duties of his role are currently in doubt. 

I get what you’re saying, but the Lansdown issue with Nige started way before his health issues.

Please don’t give them an easy way out.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Henry said:

I get what you’re saying, but the Lansdown issue with Nige started way before his health issues.

Please don’t give them an easy way out.

Oh I agree mate. 
As I’ve said before, I don’t think he was ever gonna have his contract renewed anyway.

But, whilst we may not want it to be, his health situation would clearly be something that the club would have to consider. Whether we like that or not. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I feel very uncomfortable reading comments about Nigels health. Not yours but others that have said Nigels health should be a consideration about whether he continues in his role and if he gets a new contract. 

His health should not be a consideration in either, it would be illegal for it to be a consideration. Proving that it is a consideration tho is a different matter. 

Nige could quite rightly go off sick for as long as he needs to and there is nothing the club could legally do.

I think he should be applauded for continuing to work despite the discomfort he is in. 

For a club that often celebrates the good they do, like donating food, their attitude towards Nigels health is disgusting and just makes all the other stuff they do look like a PR stunt.

We have some idea that his job security is of some concern to nige, but he nor anyone else has said the attitude toward his health is an issue.

coming from a background of fixed term contracts where if something happens with my health that affects my ability to work could result in me being fired, it clearly would be reasonable to not commit to a contract extension until this is all sorted out… with the best will in the world, giving someone 3 years and the next day they go off sick with a known issue, in any line of work, would be bad management. Not that im saying that niges health situation isnt serious and that he is the sort of character that would take advantage of it.

• Like 1

I find the talk of Nige's health very distaseful. It's a private matter and should remain so. Unless & until he can't do the job he is being paid to do, then it should be no concern of anyone but Nige, his family (if he chooses to share), and his doctors. He's not 100%, we have a threadbare squad, and we are 8th in the table; that's telling me all I need to know about his capabilities. I do however worry that his health might be a 'convenient' way, for the powers that be, to bin him off. That would be a low low move, and I would expect better from our great club.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think his health is absolutely relevant. 
Others may know more than me, but as far as I’m aware, with Nigel’s current back situation, he’s very rarely been at training in the past few weeks. 
I know some folks on here know and hear things from a few players, so no doubt they’d be able to confirm. 

But basically, if the manager is too unwell to attend training, then he’s not really able to fulfil the material duties of being a manager. 
Therefore, why would he be offered a new contract at this moment in time whilst his health and thus his ability to fulfil the duties of his role are currently in doubt. 

THEN COMMUNICATE THAT TO HIM!!

Ffs.

Nothing to do with his health imo. This has been rumbling on since well before his back/leg problem.

Of course, it does provide the perfect smokescreen. 😠

1 minute ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I find the talk of Nige's health very distaseful. It's a private matter and should remain so. Unless & until he can't do the job he is being paid to do, then it should be no concern of anyone but Nige, his family (if he chooses to share), and his doctors. He's not 100%, we have a threadbare squad, and we are 8th in the table; that's telling me all I need to know about his capabilities. I do however worry that his health might be a 'convenient' way, for the powers that be, to bin him off. That would be a low low move, and I would expect better from our great club.

Why? He brought it up in his interview. Nobody is being distasteful

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Mate, he can't even direct proceedings from the technical area let alone take a training session - that to me says he can't do the job properly at this point.

• Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Henry said:

**** @Mkelly too then. He’s long gone from being a personable Ashton Gate employee to a Lansdown bitch focussing on Guernsey/Botswana. Look at his new job title. 

Bit harsh.

Mark clearly cares, but his priorities are likely different to us, and if he is also under pressure to reduce costs, increase profitability and all that, it probably takes its toll after a while. 

Maybe replying to Fevs wasn't the best idea, but it was late, and given how widely it has been shared, not much value in deleting it or justifying it now.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Mate, he can't even direct proceedings from the technical area let alone take a training session - that to me says he can't do the job properly at this point.

Amazing that despite this we won yesterday against a side that made the playoff final last season, then.

What a complete clown you are, as usual absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5

7 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Absolutely bang on!

And it's exactly the excuse that the crumblef***s will spin. 😠

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I repeat.

Has he shagged your missus or something?

Your anti-Pearson brain must be triggered to **** by all the support he is getting on here. 

Do yourself a favour and take a break until you get your catastrophic wish. 

It may very well be only a matter of hours.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Fair comment: consensus is the wrong word. I’m thinking of the other thread that’s on the go at the moment which compares the two OTIB polls - and the majority in Dec 22 voting that he should go. 

To answer your other point one reason to decide now to get rid (if that’s the decision obviously) is that it will cost Steve far less than it would have 12 months ago and whilst we were treading water there was no need to get rid. He’s now in the territory of having to make a decision one way or the other. He wasn’t 12 months ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Whether it's right or wrong the business minds will not give any extension to someone that in 6 weeks could say the doctors have told me I have no take time off for x amount of time. 

And I repeat. 

If that is the reason, then come out and say so. 

The devious ones really are missing a trick here.

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

He’s never taken training sessions anyway, coaches and conditioning team do that. loads and loads and loads of managers don’t take training. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

No crowds during COVID, little income. Couldn't afford to get rid and couldn't have got a replacement. 

Although it hadn't come anywhere near to a head by then.

Hardly: it was Holden who was in charge through most of the time with no crowds. NP was appointed Feb 21, signed his current contract May 21, and in July 21 the return of full attendances was announced. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eardun said:

Must admit I’m more worried about this article in the Post. I hope the medics can establish the cause of this quickly and Nige can get better soon. My money is on this clouding the contract situation as well. 

“Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed he is dealing with an unspecified neurological issue that is the source of his back problem and the reason he’s needed to walk with the aid of crutches for the last six weeks.

Pearson has been hampered by the ailment since the September international break, which has left the Robins boss in constant pain and unable to move without two crutches by his side. 

The 60-year-old has continued to work through the discomfort and obvious logistical difficulties and has been in charge for each of City’s seven matches since, although he’s had to spend the majority of the 90 minutes either seated in the dugout or stands.

He’s undergone a series of tests, which have confirmed he requires back surgery but has also linked it with his brain and/or nerve damage, and while the root of the issue is yet to be discovered, Pearson has thankfully ruled out anything particularly serious, such as cancer.”

https://x.com/bristolcitylive/status/1716007990162018375?s=46&t=Lrw08Dd2QjCu1binMEvLeQ

For those posting Qs about Nige’s health, I posted the above earlier in this thread. You can read the full article linked from the tweet.

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Whether it's right or wrong the business minds will not give any extension to someone that in 6 weeks could say the doctors have told me I have no take time off for x amount of time. 

So be a man about it then, ring the guy, ask him how he is (any boss would have the ******* decency to do that wouldn’t they?) and then explain that once he’s fit and healthy we will discuss a new contract.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, italian dave said:

Hardly: it was Holden who was in charge through most of the time with no crowds. NP was appointed Feb 21, signed his current contract May 21, and in July 21 the return of full attendances was announced. 

You are correct, and I stand corrected. 

Apologies. I'm just so ****ing angry right now.

• Robin 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, technically he couldn’t go off sick for as long as he wants. He’s got a contract until the end of June.
If he needs to be off sick until the end of June then he’s perfectly entitled to. 
Whether the club renew his contract beyond June is highly highly relevant to his health situation. 
He’s a contracted employee in a role in an industry which has an average lifespan of about 14 months. 
If a manager is unable to manage the team then the club would have every right to not consider a contract renewal. 

This isn’t “normal” employment law here. His contract is up. It doesn’t have to be renewed. 

No need to be facetious when were talking within the context oh his contract expiring in the summer.

Football isn't excempt from employment law. 

They have no right to even ask about Nigels health because it has nothing to do with the job. 

A new contract would essentially be a offer of a job. To not offer him a new job purely based on his health, is illegal. In the same way as you can't refuse to hire someone because they are pregnant for example. 

However as I said, proving that discrimination would be difficult. 

I feel very uncomfortable that people such as yourself consider it to be a consideration.

Nigel has made it very clear he can continue to do the job with some reasonable adjustments so not a problem. A manager could be a wheelchair user and rightfully that should not be a consideration of their role because its irrelevant. The employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

And I repeat. 

If that is the reason, then come out and say so. 

The devious ones really are missing a trick here.

If they come out and say that everyone will be up in arms about how cold they are and its disgusting.

I'm by no means a big lansdown fan but you can see why they haven't jumped to renew.

End of the day we all speak on here like it's a massive game of fm when we know bugger all that goes on in the club past the front door

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 19:47, Silvio Dante said:

I did wonder whether SL had seen what was going on at Ipswich and convinced himself that he was right all along - Ashton with a progressive young coach was the way to go. He’s already let Ashton into the henhouse twice, he was clearly sorry to lose him and I wonder if the job McKenna is doing is viewed by SL as some sort of vindication, and the longer Ipswich go on, the more he errs towards “let’s go there again” and away from the very good job Nige is doing.

He’s made the same mistake twice. When there is cause (however misguided) to think you were right, it’s easy to make a very similar mistake.

Wednesday feels huge for a lot of reasons….

I was reflecting on this the other day.

Reluctantly, we have to admit that things are going rather well for Ipswich with Mark Ashton & a progressive young coach.

Does this show that Lansdown was right all along? I actually think it illustrates the opposite - that Lansdown is the problem.

It seems that Ashton + a young manager can do well in the Championship.....just not when they're being dictated to by you, Steve.
As much criticism as Mark Ashton (rightly) received from our fanbase, it wasn't the case the Lansdown had no say in the appointments of Johnson & Holden. It wasn't the case that Lansdown had no involvement in the excessive spending. It wasn't the case that Lansdown had no say in the strange restructuring that occurred during the Ashton era.

Ashton now finds himself at a new club, and may well be on the verge of achieving back to back promotions.

How much more evidence do you need? The problem is you, Mr Lansdown.

• Like 1