IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Totally agree Shelts.

I'm quite a pragmatic bloke in most things including City. However, I would properly lose my sh!t if the 'hierarchy' f@ck this one up. We have a chance as a club to build on some solid foundations for the first time in a long time. That is down to NP. If they can't see that and they think that starting all over again is a better option. Then we my friends are back to square one yet again!

Absolutely spot on! Health not withstanding it's a no brainer.

Nice post SCR. 👍

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And that seems a fairly sensible position to take, in the here and now.

However, I'm afraid the conversation within the club has moved on from the "shall we give him a new contract" question, to the "how and when are we going to relieve Nigel of his duties, and who are we going to replace him with?" questions. 

Do you know why exactly? Why do they want to get rid

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

However, I'm afraid the conversation within the club has moved on from the "shall we give him a new contract" question, to the "how and when are we going to relieve Nigel of his duties, and who are we going to replace him with?" questions. 

He’s going isn’t he

15 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

What makes me laugh , from a luckily few dissenters , the response is 

It’s not about purely results , and Oh yes I accept he’s done a really good job sorting out the mess , but let’s see ..........how the next few .......results .......go ‘

He is your messiah 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh FFS.

Presumably they're actively looking for a replacement and will act as soon as they have someone lined up?

Regardless of the job on the pitch people think Nige has or hasn't done, he has led the team through turmoil, stabilised us, and it's very much now HIS team. To replace him, means giving his team to someone else, who will probably want to make wholesale changes and unless given a war chest, we'll end up with a large squad of average players spearheading us to League One.

Nige has DESERVED to have the opportunity, to lead us forward and be given a chance to see us progress. A 12 month extension or 24 month extension would make sense, if given backing in the transfer windows. If in a years time, with him having had the chance to bring in players he wants to take us forward and it hasn't worked, by all means replace him. But to allow him to do the mammoth task he has done, and started to create stability whilst having to sell his best tools, and not then supporting him when we are in a far more stabilised position is just wrong.

I've often wondered if he is the right man to take us up, and I still have my doubts, but I 100% believe he deserves to be given the chance.

I've had a lot of respect for SL and I am grateful for what he has done for the club and the City of Bristol, but what he is doing now is wrong, unjust and paints him in a different light. One may argue he replaces Nige with someone and he gives them the purse strings and we go up, then the decision was right, but I have little faith in the right person being found and we will be back where we were when Nige came in, after the Holden debacle. 

If Lansdown is a decent and honourable man, he will give Nige the extension he deserves. If Nige has to retire for personal reasons at a later date, I suspect many fans will respect that, and appreciate that this is a possibility, but I hope the owner comes out his shell and is HONEST with the fans. If concerns with his health have prevented an extension, at least come out and say this, and say if he is in better health towards the end of the season, his contract will be renewed. I am sure both Nige and the fans will respect this. But the deafening silence has meant a 24 page thread, which will only get more and more hostile as time goes on. 

My gut feeling is that by Xmas, Nige will have gone, and knowing our luck, Lansdown will give Tinnion another shot at manager ........

Edited by robinforlife2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To which the answers are, in my opinion:

1) at the end of the season, assuming that both Pearson and his successor are agreeable to that; and

2) the person that we believe can best work with what we've got and build on it with the aim of delivering the greatest increase in the likelihood of success at the Club. "Success" being a word that may mean different things to different people.

Essentially, the Club must have a perception of the likelihood of "success" if we stick with Pearson. Maybe that's 57% (just to pluck a number from the air). Logically they should only change manager (and all the other staff) if they think the new person/team will have a higher chance. The should seek to appoint the person the determine has the best score.

Ultimately, we are currently in an ok spot on the pitch and in the league table. There is not currently a panic about relegation, not a concern that the incumbent manager is utterly incompetent. So in my mind we have the luxury of time to decide on a replacement, if the decision to repalce has already been made.

It seems to me that NP is being media savvy here isn’t he? I believe it’s six months until his contract is up, so would it be normal to have an offer on the table this far ahead? He’s certainly stirred up a lot of support when he could just have kept his communications private. 

And there is a lot of talk about Lansdown not really wanting him, or wanting to keep him, without much tangible evidence that I can see. Lansdown obviously appointed him, and one thing you can say in favour of this regime is that they tend to give managers time, far more than many clubs do. 

There is a huge tendency on here to take sides and want to treat every individual as either a hero or a villain. Perhaps it should be more nuanced.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Are you basing your view purely on results?

If you look at what he's done for the club, as a whole, especially with little money to spend, and instruction to blood academy players, and the way he's got the whole club working as one, and has the respect of players and fans, galvanised the Club, he's done a fantastic job. 

Completely agree. We only need to look back at previous attempts to cut costs and keep us in the Championship, and other managers we've employed have failed miserably when asked to do so. Sean O'Driscoll a prime example where we went down with a whimper.

Not only has NP kept us in the division, he's done so comfortably whilst bedding in academy players, whilst off loading highly paid senior pro's, and then having the academy players sold whilst he's been trying to build a team around them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Completely agree. We only need to look back at previous attempts to cut costs and keep us in the Championship, and other managers we've employed have failed miserably when asked to do so. Sean O'Driscoll a prime example where we went down with a whimper.

Not only has NP kept us in the division, he's done so comfortably whilst bedding in academy players, whilst off loading highly paid senior pro's, and then having the academy players sold whilst he's been trying to build a team around them.

Agree broadly speaking with your post, small point on 2012-13, first 2-3 months under O'Driscoll our home record under him was excellent and we were well in the fight.

Mic March the run in looked okay. Wolves away in mid March was pivotal..The run in with home games v Birmingham, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, perhaps even Bolton and Charlton away looked fine.

Wolves away killed us somewhat, goal up, and we lost 2-1 iirc in a crunch 6 pointer at the bottom.,  they got 2 goals in quick succession I believe.

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It seems to me that NP is being media savvy here isn’t he? I believe it’s six months until his contract is up, so would it be normal to have an offer on the table this far ahead? He’s certainly stirred up a lot of support when he could just have kept his communications private. 

And there is a lot of talk about Lansdown not really wanting him, or wanting to keep him, without much tangible evidence that I can see. Lansdown obviously appointed him, and one thing you can say in favour of this regime is that they tend to give managers time, far more than many clubs do. 

There is a huge tendency on here to take sides and want to treat every individual as either a hero or a villain. Perhaps it should be more nuanced.

When you consider how destabilised we were 2-3 years ago and having navigated through FFP problems to bringing in big fees for players and having a relatively young side that is showing it can compete at this level, even when it is injury ravaged like Saturday. I really can’t see the benefit of destabilising it all again. Someone tell me the benefit.

I think we all agree Nige doesn’t have a free pass for life but surely give him one more contract to prove or otherwise whether he can take us further forward? If @Kid in the Riotis correct and it’s now a case of how and when we get rid I think the circus upstairs has got it all wrong. Either that or their next appointment needs to be a barnstormer……..if this is the decision they better bloody we’ll get it right is how I judge it anyway.

What many fans won’t have is another three years of a manager struggling like **** to re-stabilise the club when it’s already been stabilised. I could of course be wrong but it appears the current situation is personal on the part of the people in charge and not objective.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

What makes me laugh , from a luckily few dissenters , the response is 

It’s not about purely results , and Oh yes I accept he’s done a really good job sorting out the mess , but let’s see ..........how the next few .......results .......go ‘

It’s called having your cake and eating it!!

I think Steve has had his mind made up, the hope that he could get promotion with Pearson has failed, so far, and given Steve has indicated he wants to sell the stock on BCFC and BS is not high, or high enough to attract a buyer. He is a shrewd cookie and wont possibly throw good money after bad, We don't know what the terms of Pearson's contract was but I would bet that Promotion was a clause, or at least some real progress in league position, this has not happened, although currently we sit 8th. 

Pearson is the second longest serving manager in the league, we lovely City fans are so patient and willing to suffer season after season of dullness ...maybe we are on the cusp of greatness, but cannot see it. 

Steve and Co have to take the major responsibility for this, not Nigel, but the harsh reality will be that it wont be Steve that walks.

So we are left in limbo, until we get a vibrant multi millionaire or billionaire to splash the cash, I have looked but cannot find anyone so bonkers.

I think people missing something obvious IMO.

What is exactly wrong with Nigels back??

Does he need an operation which means he would be bed bound for 3/6 months? 

As an employer, you should take in to consideration all factors, if you think he is going to be out for a prolonged period, why would you, potentialy, throw money down the drain, so to speak. Nige has had health issues previously.

Now, im not saying I agree with this at all, just playing devils advocate. 

5 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

This weeks press conference will be interesting. I don’t suppose Nige will be doing it though. 

I wonder if Nige has had a few interesting calls from the Lansdowns over the weekend...

Probably not tho as the silence is deafening. 

But it would be interesting to know about the fall out about Nigels public comments.

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

One things for sure , if somebody is claiming that NP hasn’t been at training at any time in last five weeks , and it’s somebody Pearson has contact with , somebody at the club , and it’s a poisoned lie.........and he gets to hear about this , from social media or elsewhere ........ Good luck to that person 

The culture at the club/group is toxic! 

There are many people employed that should not be employed. 

Nige has done well to sort the footballing side out but away from that there is a nasty culture. 

People are not employed because of the good job they do (because they dont) they are employed because of who they are. 

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Given this interview was on Radio Bristol it’ll be interesting to see if it’s covered on Sound Of The City tonight. 

I normally find it very biased to the club hierarchy (Hoskins even said a few shows back that “we can’t criticise Steve Lansdown”) but there is surely enough here to have a reasonable debate.

@Davefevs don’t suppose you are on?

No doubt they'll get Tony 'self appointed fan representative' Wilkins on to give his highly informative view on this matter. 

He'll then proceed to spend 20 minutes talking about how he's spent the last year or so trying to get the club to stock Thatchers Zero.

Based on absolutely nothing at all, I wonder if conversations have been had that could possibly reflect the following.

SL: So, Tins - how is the academy looking, any more gems coming along we can sell?

Tins: Yeap, we've got a healthy mix of players already integrated in to the first team squad, a few out on loan who should be first-team ready in the next year and a crop of younger players we expect to see progress. The outlook is rosey.

SL: Sounds great, so I won't need to spend millions again, then?

Tin: Correct - the kids are doing well and we have a balance of some older players to help them on the pitch, you shouldn't need to open the cheque book anytime soon.

SL: So, Nige - why aren't we top 6 at the moment?

NP: Well Steve, it's like this, we've got a lot of young players who over the next 24 months will be able to cope with first team football, the pressure from the crowds, the demands of playing in the Championship and all that goes with it. But what we need, is some on the pitch leaders who can add those finishing touches, players who can guide these younger players, help them, give them some valuable experience and if these kids can learn from that, we'll be in a good position to climb the table and sustain it, what we can't do is rely on these young players, so will need a break from the first team to remember how they can impact games in the U21s, a few games without pressure will help them cope with pressure as they mature. 

SL: But Tins said that they were ready now and I don't need to spend anymore cash.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

and results haven’t wildly improved, we’re all getting cold feet.

It appears that it's only you, Ian and SL that have got cold feet.

I think the majority will agree that for Nige to get us 1 point off the play offs after a quarter of the season, is quite remarkable. For us to take the next step, Nige needs to be given a decent budget. 5-10 million should do it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wilksi said:

I think people missing something obvious IMO.

What is exactly wrong with Nigels back??

Does he need an operation which means he would be bed bound for 3/6 months? 

As an employer, you should take in to consideration all factors, if you think he is going to be out for a prolonged period, why would you, potentialy, throw money down the drain, so to speak. Nige has had health issues previously.

Now, im not saying I agree with this at all, just playing devils advocate. 

I don't think it's necessarily that dramatic. In the Post interview he talks about a 24-48 hour absence "to sort it out".

What is a bit more worrying, for him as well as us, is that the symptoms he reports do not match what scans can see on his back, leading to the conclusion that the pain might be a neurological condition.

I hate to play the amateur GP, but I wonder if stress over the contract situation is exacerbating a physical problem?

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the majority will agree that for Nige to get us 1 point off the play offs after a quarter of the season, is quite remarkable. For us to take the next step, Nige needs to be given a decent budget. 5-10 million should do it.

Not really sure you’ve read my post properly.

I felt from the beginning he wouldn’t likely stay long term and that after rebuilding someone else would come in to push us on, but now I’d like him to stay. He deserves it. I’m a huge Pearson fan.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He was talking about getting cold feet at the thought of letting NP go, I believe, not keeping him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In amongst all the ludicrousness of our current situation, at least we now know the definitive answer to the question as to why we are the biggest club that has never made the Prem.

Because we are appallingly run by an owner who is unable to deal with any sort of constructive challenge in the workplace & who incredibly has been chairman or owner for over 20 years now & yet as you say, still knows absolutely nothing about football.

Then of course there is our current chairman who possesses the charisma of a library ticket, is unable to speak in public using joined up sentences & is about as visible as Lord Lucan.

Never has so much been spent (pre Nige, of course) to achieve so very little.

Well said, shitshow of a football club, just like Bristol Sport. Lansdown OUT!

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Well, I think the noise from Mini Me last season about we should be doing better, and the complete silence of Lord Lucan Mr Lansdown , and failure to praise NP at any point , whilst muttering about Mark Robins , Luton and Millwall gives a certain impression 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Largely in agreement, but to the point of ‘we’re now in a good position to kick on’ - we were in the best position in the clubs history when LJ went, on and off the pitch. And lansdown made such a big mess of it, many people wouldn’t have believed it if someone from the future came back and told us what was going to happen. 

I’ve also personally never really understood those who say NP probably isn’t the man to get us promoted. Who is, then? A manager who’s got promoted out of this league before? Well, that’s Pearson. A manager with extensive experience in the league we’re trying to get into? Well, that’s Pearson too. A manager who’s managed bigger clubs than us? Uhh….you can see where I’m going. 

It’s why to me, the overarching feeling is just pure confusion. It has to be a personal dislike/vendetta against him from the Lansdown’s, there really isn’t another genuine reason in my eyes. 

Makes me think they may have fallen out. SL and pearson that is.

• Sad 1