IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Thing is, considering the wage cap/constraints recently imposed by SL,who would have the skill set not only to maintain the spirit/culture that has been built,but also strengthen & push us up??....

Off the top of my head I can only think Nigel 😆

That's the point though. If Steve makes that decision to get rid of the stabilising factor in the club he will be 100% judged on that by a very large proportion of the fan base. The stupid "judge me on Tinnion" remark he made many moons ago, which went well as per, was forgotten by most if not all of the fans. However if he gets rid of Pearson and it goes wrong he will literally have nowhere to hide this time. A large minority were pissed off when he booted Cotts out.........it's certainly no minority of any description this time that we are talking about.

The only reason to get rid of Pearson in my view, assuming scans don't show up anything that forces the issues and that certainly isn't the case right now and cannot be used as an excuse to sack him, is because you have a manager lined up who you are absolutely convinced is going to push us to the next level - that is the ONLY standard I will use to judge Nige's replacement assuming the word coming out that we are looking to get rid asap is correct (that may be unfair on his replacement but it's Steve's money, Steve's club, Steve's cock on the block). Lansdown had better get this correct otherwise it's empty seats in the South Stand BUT with no season ticket sold for them that you might be looking at.

• Like 1

In an interview in early/ mid September when Phil Alexander was asked about the contract situation regarding NP he stated that it wouldn't be spoken about in the public domain and that it would be approached when they thought the time was right. 

Since then when asked about his contract situation, from memory, NP has always said it was something he wasn't really concerned with...or words to that affect. 

Three weeks into October and NP states...'My position’s not been secure, which irritates me.'

So he's gone from not bothered to irritated within a month or so. 

What dynamic has changed to make him feel this way?

His neurological problem is the one thing that stands out. Affecting how he works normally. 

Apart from that...???

• Like 3

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Quotes from the Post re his neurological condition and how it has affected his presence at trading for clarity. 

Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed he is dealing with an unspecified neurological issue along with his back problem, which is the reason he’s needed to walk with the aid of crutches for the last six weeks.

Pearson has been hampered by the ailment since the September international break, which has left the Robins boss unable to move without two crutches by his side.

The 60-year-old has continued to work through the discomfort and obvious logistical difficulties and has been in charge for each of City’s seven matches since, although he’s had to spend the majority of the 90 minutes either seated in the dugout or stands.

He’s undergone a series of tests, which have confirmed he requires back surgery. While the root of the neurological issue is yet to be discovered, Pearson has thankfully ruled out anything particularly serious, such as cancer.

“I know people know about the fact I need a back operation and that hasn’t changed, of course, but that’s not really the main problem for me at the minute, it’s a neurological situation,” Pearson said.

“I’m still awaiting further tests to find out what the prognosis is and one of the things that I’m trying to avoid at the minute is blanket treatment. There’s no point going onto steroids and that having some sort of an impact, and it masking what it is.

“The good news from my perspective is all the sinister possibilities - cancer etc - have all been ruled out. What I need to do now is wait for an opportunity whereby I can get into hospital and get it all done in one hit which might take 24-48 hours.

“What I don’t want to do is prolong it over 4, 5, 6 weeks. It’s just one of those situations where the symptoms that I have don’t match the scans in terms of the back so we have to investigate other areas.”

It has impacted his presence on the pitches of the High Performance Centre, with Curtis Fleming and Jason Euell guiding the players on the field, but he’s still been able to conduct the majority of his managerial duties outside of a matchday.

Fleming has taken on a more pronounced role in terms of post-match media duties, as the Ashton Gate press room is on the first floor of the Lansdown Stand, but for the most part Pearson insists it'll largely be business as usual.

“In the meantime, we as a working group of people have to adapt slightly how I and we work,” Pearson added. “You know already I’m a bit more of an observational type of person anyway, and it’s more about the work place really, more than anything.

“I’m awaiting to find out what the next step will be. In the meantime, of course, what’s important is that we continue to work closely together as a group of staff to make sure, as always, the players come first and that’s what I will always do.

“On a personal level, it’s a bit frustrating, but on a professional level it’s just something I’ve got to deal with.”

@REDOXO

• Like 1

• Admin

There's been many comments through this thread that Pearson's "unspecified neurological disorder" (note the Post didn't report it as undiagnosed, NP may know full well what it is but rightly keeping the specific nature to himself) is causing him pain in fulfilling his duties but that he is showing commitment to the cause and ploughing on regardless.

Could it be that Nige has brought this to a head because whilst he's happy to do that, at risk of the situation worsening, if the club plan to keep him beyond this season, if they don't he'd rather they pushed him out now and he can convalesce at leisure.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, spudski said:

In an interview in early/ mid September when Phil Alexander was asked about the contract situation regarding NP he stated that it wouldn't be spoken about in the public domain and that it would be approached when they thought the time was right. 

Since then when asked about his contract situation, from memory, NP has always said it was something he wasn't really concerned with...or words to that affect. 

Three weeks into October and NP states...'My position’s not been secure, which irritates me.'

His neurological problem is the one thing that stands out. Affecting how he works normally. 

Apart from that...???

Whilst he intimated he wasn't bothered at the time he was asked the question he must have had some timescale in his own mind (we all would if we were in that position). That timescale has passed, he has clearly heard the same rumours that the Evening Post and a few posters on here have, it's pretty clear what they have written and doesn't leave you in any doubt tbh, and now he's bothered. That's how I see it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

There's been many comments through this thread that Pearson's "unspecified neurological disorder" (note the Post didn't report it as undiagnosed, NP may know full well what it is but rightly keeping the specific nature to himself) is causing him pain in fulfilling his duties but that he is showing commitment to the cause and ploughing on regardless.

Could it be that Nige has brought this to a head because whilst he's happy to do that, at risk of the situation worsening, if the club plan to keep him beyond this season, if they don't he'd rather they pushed him out now and he can convalesce at leisure.

I think that is spot on.

He needs to know if he's going to get a contract extension as it will affect how he approaches his medical issue and recovery.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apart from that...???

Apparently hearing that he has to get results from the Cov and Ipswich games to save his job? And we are led to believe that directive wasn't even delivered first hand?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

You make your case very well as usual.

All I would say is that history does not give me confidence that a logical decision will be made. It could work as you say but whether it would is at least a moot point.

I’m eternally grateful that LJ is employed. If he wasn’t I could imagine him being reappointed with a joint statement from him and SL waffling on about unfinished business 

Edited by pongo88
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you know as well as anyone the remit of Nige’s job was clear….but the parameters (predominantly financial and a cosy club playing squad) made that hugely more impactful…especially in the light of post-covid FFP.

Nige is operating at budget levels of 2016(ish)…pre-splurge levels…apart from Nige isn’t getting his splurge, he’s gotta perform on levels that are probably now bottom-8 levels.

Those 2016(ish) budget levels saw us finish 18th and 17th (I think)…before we started to ramp up squad size, transfer fees / amortisation and wages.

Theres your comparison!!!

So what if Nige was bullish, I very much suspect he thought that once FFP was sorted (nice work RG and Nige for accepting the consequence) he would be given opportunity to build the squad.  He has based on austerity.  Fine job he’s doing too.  He’s had the drawbridge pulled up on him.

Getting to the playoffs this season would be a much bigger achievement with what we have than Luton or Coventry.  We are about 18 months / 2 years behind their trajectory.

No, I’m not but Ed replied to a tweet of mine saying that tonight’s show has more of the interview that was put out in twitter.  So should be some new info.

Thanks Fevs mate! 👍

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Whilst he intimated he wasn't bothered at the time he was asked the question he must have had some timescale in his own mind (we all would if we were in that position). That timescale has passed, he has clearly heard the same rumours that the Evening Post and a few posters on here have, it's pretty clear what they have written and doesn't leave you in any doubt tbh, and now he's bothered. That's how I see it.

The October International break seems the perfect time to discuss his future as it's usually the period where lots of things get discussed.

• Like 3