IGNORED

Gary Rowett

Andy082005

Firstly, what can a new manager change? He can't change the match day squad, or buy any players. It's literally just training, formation and in-game tactics. So if those are the areas that SL is convinced we're deficient in then fair enough, but it's contentious. 

• Like 1

I didn't say I Would want Ainsworth ..... I said, he is the sort of manager I could see appealing to Lansdown.

I'm not saying his Wycombe side played like Brazil, but Ainsworth had a lot of players who should have not been good enough for league one, let alone the Championship and he grounded out results and they were plucky. He had a 40% win rate over 11 years at Wycombe, which is no mean feat. 

I'm not disputing that QPR was an epic failure, but they are a team in financial ruin and many tipped to struggle. I would say his Wycombe over performed. 

Again, I am not saying, he is someone I would like to see as our manager, but I DO think, he is the sort of manager who would appeal to Lansdown. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Firstly, what can a new manager change? He can't change the match day squad, or buy any players. It's literally just training, formation and in-game tactics. So if those are the areas that SL is convinced we're deficient in then fair enough, but it's contentious. 

yes he can make us win the league Uh Huh Yes GIF

I do think NP is doing a decent job with the players available to him but we do often look to be "out coached" and "out thought" and often ponderous in our play and decision making.

Is that an old school versus modern coaching thing ? Not sure but the argument could certainly be made.

• Hmmm 1

ANY new manager coming in now with 13 first team players ready would make a horrible start (through no fault of their own). Pearson is in the building and knows exactly what we’re up against. He’s also got us in a decent position in the table (or did have, until the injury plague).

Anti-Landown sentiment is the most I’ve ever known it, amongst the fanbase and myself. Firing Pearson would take it to fever pitch.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

I do think NP is doing a decent job with the players available to him but we do often look to be "out coached" and "out thought" and often ponderous in our play and decision making.

Is that an old school versus modern coaching thing ? Not sure but the argument could certainly be made.

Think more that some teams have better players than us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Allegedly Rowett has achieved this with Millwall:

19/20: 8th
20/21: 11th
21/22: 9th
22/23: 8th

There’s no “allegedly”, he did.

He also got Derby to the playoffs (for balance there he also spent a fortune that we now know Mel Morris didn’t have, in doing so), was memorably sacked by Birmingham when they were 7th & replaced by Gianfranco Zola who took them down the league at a rapid rate & was one of many to try & fail badly at Stoke.

His Championship CV is decent but his football is pretty uninspiring.

He’s certainly no Dean Holden type appointment though if it happened.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Rowett. I remember him being mentioned in the past, and he just comes across as a depressive manager. He reminds me too much of McInnes or O'Driscoll and would be a negative appointment, boring football etc. 

However, QPR sacking Ainsworth, might have SL thinking. Ainsworth done a great job at Wycombe, on a shoestring budget. His teams often play good football. QPR has been a disaster for him, but I have a feeling, he is the sort of manager that Lansdown would be tempted by. I'm not saying, I would want Ainsworth, but, I do think he will be one of the front runners, if SL decides to remove Pearson over the next few weeks. 

Since when have Ainsworth sides played good football? 

3 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think more that some teams have better players than us. 

It was like that before the injuries I feel also though. Just now with the missing first teamers it is more important to be at the absolute max tactically and to be more proactive rather than reactive, which sometimes I feel/felt we are not.

Just now, Zuni said:

It was like that before the injuries I feel also though. Just now with the missing first teamers it is more important to be at the absolute max tactically and to be more proactive rather than reactive, which sometimes I feel/felt we are not.

Not saying NP has outwitted every other manager this season, but as an example, switching things vs Cov seemed to work (but accept there’ll be other examples where NP has lost out, just not convinced he’s consistently losing the tactical battles). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He also got Derby to the playoffs (for balance there he also spent a fortune that we now know Mel Morris didn’t have, in doing so), was memorably sacked by Birmingham when they were 7th & replaced by Gianfranco Zola who took them down the league at a rapid rate & was one of many to try & fail badly at Stoke.

Thanks for confirming. I got it off Twitter so didn't feel confident it was fact! 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He mostly has a good record of getting "more out of less".

I wanted him over NP at the time. Not sure now though.

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not saying NP has outwitted every other manager this season, but as an example, switching things vs Cov seemed to work (but accept there’ll be other examples where NP has lost out, just not convinced he’s consistently losing the tactical battles). 

Coventry was a success for sure.

7 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

As a big fan , I’m not sure NP is a tactical genius , nor an innovative coach

He’s  about values ,basics and  Building a squad with togetherness , which has a team squad / mentality 

You can try and find the first , but the latter(s) may not be the same , and are as important as the former

• Like 5

Incidentally I think any, any side possibly except Leicester would be adversely affected by the injury situation we have had this season.

Even then once it gets to 10 and over outfield players possibly even Leicester would start to notice.

For context and comparison I took a look at the Leicester squad. It would mean:

1) One of Justin and Pereira being out from August to present, the other joining him in mid to late September to present. (McCrorie, followed by Tanner).

2) One of Vestegaard and Faes being out from the getgo, perhaps the other joining him in mid to late September to present. (Atkinson, followed by Vyner).

3) Fatawu, Akgun and Mavdidi are talented wide players. Perhaps one of them out for the duration. (Benarous, let's say Agkun).

4) For best part of 2 months, perhaps two of Vardy, Ilenacho and Cannon out. Now just Cannon. (Initially Conway and Weimann were out for some time, now just Wells).

5) As they stack up, perhaps 2 to 3 of Winks, Casaedi, Ndidi, Praet, Mcateer, Dewsbury Hall plus the obvious of Choudhury. (Naismith, James, Williams and King).

Doyle can play LB and CB (Roberts).

Not saying we are on the same page even as Leicester, their quality and depth is massive but if you permed these out and over a long time period. Ipswich maybe a better comparison.

It's not a perfect comparison but trying to imagine how some other sides and their progress may look if you replicate our injured.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

As a big fan , I’m not sure NP is a tactical genius , nor an innovative coach

He’s  about values ,basics and  Building a squad with togetherness , which has a team squad / mentality 

You can try and find the first , but the latter(s) may not be the same , and are as important as the former

Good point but I would suggest it is possible to have both skill sets.

Securing the services of said coach is the tricky part obviously.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Controversial comment, but i have not been overly inspired by our style of football over the past 3 years and it could certainly be described as uninspiring too.

Football is a results business and to be fair to Rowett, his record is pretty good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Controversial comment, but i have not been overly inspired by our style of football over the past 3 years and it could certainly be described as uninspiring too.

Football is a results business and to be fair to Rowett, his record is pretty good.

We've been in a huge rebuilding job for team, morale and financially.

The football started IMO improving firstly around December 2021. The bottom was reached in the Autumn of 2021 in some ways, in other ways the early stages of NP in 2020-21.

Some very enjoyable games last season and prior to the injuries starting to bite it's been decent this year. There are huge mitigating factors at play.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1