IGNORED

Gary Rowett

Andy082005

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

We've been in a huge rebuilding job for team, morale and financially.

The football started IMO improving firstly around Drfrmber 2021. The bottom was reached in the Autumn in some ways, in other ways the early stages of NP in 2020-21.

Some very enjoyable games last season and prior to the injuries starting to bite it's been decent this year. There are huge mitigating factors at play.

I keep hearing about mitigating factors but a managers job is to coach the players he has at his disposal.

This is clearly now Pearson's team and whilst i acknowledge there have been challenges along the way, and we are currently suffering from a terrible spell of injuries, i stand by my comment that the style of football has been largely uninspiring.

I have read post after post destroying Steve Lansdown who has covered huge losses over the past 20 years and yet Nige seems to be the miracle man who can do no wrong.

I have had a few glasses of Rioja tonight but i felt i had to respond to all the criticism that SL has been getting on this forum.

I'm not anti-Pearson in any way but the debate needs some balance!

• Like 2

Just now, Edgy Red said:

I keep hearing about mitigating factors but a managers job is to coach the players he has at his disposal.

This is clearly now Pearson's team and whilst i acknowledge there have been challenges along the way, and we are currently suffering from a terrible spell of injuries, i stand by my comment that the style of football has been largely uninspiring.

I have read post after post destroying Steve Lansdown who has covered huge losses over the past 20 years and yet Nige seems to be the miracle man who can do no wrong.

I have had a few glasses of Rioja tonight but i felt i had to respond to all the criticism that SL has been getting on this forum.

I'm not anti-Pearson in any way but the debate needs some balance!

He has cut the wage bill by an estimated £11m, brought in £35m or so in transfer fees. Sure he has spent some so that's a gross rather than net figure for the 2nd, that's a huge retrenchment.

8th highest scorers despite just one penalty in 2021-22. Semenyo and Weimann great combination. Granted playing on the break suited us.

It's hard to sum up Lansdown and his current policy exactly given the good points such as infrastructure and past expenditure, always pays bills on time.

Pulling up the drawbridge now just is so infuriating, when we are building a more solid base, fielding youth, trying to evolve the side..not just infuriating but self-defeating which makes it worse. Penny wise, pound foolish in a sense.

A 4-4-2 ish initially rings a bell, a 3-5-2, a 3-4-3 and finally all being well a 4-3-3 of sorts. The side has evolved, get Naismith and a creator in that central 3, get a genuine RB in there, get say well my preference may not be for everyone, Vyner and Atkinson in there as the CB pair and it is transformed.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I bet his budget was quite well into the bottom half as well

Yep, but he had a large budget at Stoke & failed, a large one at Derby & he didn’t get them up.

Absolutely no real track record of promoting young players, either.

Not a single promotion on his CV, 2 playoffs with Burton & 1 with Derby.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Allegedly Rowett has achieved this with Millwall:

19/20: 8th
20/21: 11th
21/22: 9th
22/23: 8th

Let’s get this right he’s a decent manager,all these people saying he isn’t good enough for us or plays the wrong type of football are let’s be honest clueless,but is he better than our current manager then no is the simple answer 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has cut the wage bill by an estimated £11m, brought in £35m or so in transfer fees. Sure he has spent some so that's a gross rather than net figure for the 2nd, that's a huge retrenchment.

8th highest scorers despite just one penalty in 2021-22. Semenyo and Weimann great combination. Granted playing on the break suited us.

It's hard to sum up Lansdown and his current policy exactly given the good points such as infrastructure and past expenditure, always pays bills on time.

Pulling up the drawbridge now just is so infuriating, when we are building a more solid base, fielding youth, trying to evolve the side..not just infuriating but self-defeating which makes it worse. Penny wise, pound foolish in a sense.

A 4-4-2 ish initially rings a bell, a 3-5-2, a 3-4-3 and finally all being well a 4-3-3 of sorts. The side has evolved, get Naismith and a creator in that central 3, get a genuine RB in there, get say well my preference may not be for everyone, Vyner and Atkinson in there as the CB pair and it is transformed.

I don't want to get in to a debate (the Rioja bottle is now empty) but cutting the wage bill isn't solely down to Pearson. I will reiterate that a managers job is to coach the players at his disposal.

I didn't want to turn this in to a Pearson attack but i am just really disappointed by all the negativity aimed at SL.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I don't want to get in to a debate (the Rioja bottle is now empty) but cutting the wage bill isn't solely down to Pearson. I will reiterate that a managers job is to coach the players at his disposal.

I didn't want to turn this in to a Pearson attack but i am just really disappointed by all the negativity aimed at SL.

I have also credited Gould strongly in the past for his work in our recovery. Him and NP made a great team, and I believe Gould is a major loss in general. It was a team effort but it doesn't half make his job harder..otoh some of it was forced by FFP.

To get onto the SL point, all IMO, he has done a host of good things, but the current policy seems deeply flawed, is unfair on NP and it feels like we as a club are just drifting right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

If Nige were to go there are 4 obvious candidates.

Beale

Eustace

Jones

Rowett

My preference would be Beale, but you can bet your bottom dollar we would end with Jones

No, nope, absolutely not, nah. 

None of these have the track record NP. I'd be royally p1ssed if one of these got backed to the hilt with the Scott money but SL won't give it to Pearson who has done all the dirty work and made the club millions by playing the youth. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

22 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Let’s get this right he’s a decent manager,all these people saying he isn’t good enough for us or plays the wrong type of football are let’s be honest clueless,but is he better than our current manager then no is the simple answer 

And this is the point.

Are there worse managers that we could appont? Of course there are, and in other circumstances I'd be more than open to the idea of him, certainly when LJ went for example. But if you're making the call to sack Pearson then for it to be justifiable you'd have to replace him with someone who would continue the good work that he's already done, and improve on the areas that you feel he hasn't done what's needed. I don't think Rowett does that, and none of the other realistic names I've seen touted do that either.

• Like 4

The owners are on manoeuvres and have already been looking for a potential replacement for Pearson for three weeks (since the Leeds defeat). 

They've spoken to several potential managers already, one of whom is Gary Rowett. 

They've spoken to many agents and so my assumption is that agent chat has got back to Pearson, hence his comments last Saturday that he was fighting for his job and his comments today that he may, or may not, be still here next Saturday. 

Bottom line is it's when not if. I'd have thought failure to beat Wednesday and a decision could be made. 

Most concerning to me is that one of the people that told me Pearson's departure is imminent, also told me that Barton would be sacked too...

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3

17 minutes ago, Dredd said:

No, nope, absolutely not, nah. 

None of these have the track record NP. I'd be royally p1ssed if one of these got backed to the hilt with the Scott money but SL won't give it to Pearson who has done all the dirty work and made the club millions by playing the youth. 

TBF since May 2016 NP has managed 223 games, won 70, drawn 57 and lost 96 with no promotions.

His previous 7 years coaching track record is not the strength compared to others as some often quote.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The owners are on manoeuvres and have already been looking for a potential replacement for Pearson for three weeks (since the Leeds defeat). 

They've spoken to several potential managers already, one of whom is Gary Rowett. 

They've spoken to many agents and so my assumption is that agent chat has got back to Pearson, hence his comments last Saturday that he was fighting for his job and his comments today that he may, or may not, be still here next Saturday. 

Bottom line is it's when not if. I'd have thought failure to beat Wednesday and a decision could be made. 

Most concerning to me is that one of the people that told me Pearson's departure is imminent, also told me that Barton would be sacked too...

The Gould radio Bristol interview a while back was a pivotal day.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What on earth was it about defeat away to Leeds that brought all this on? Bloody disgraceful

Rowett isn’t a SL type appointment as he isn’t a) an ex player, b) someone he can manipulate and c) a yes man.

I’d be furious he was appointed though as it’d clearly mean NP had gone. 

SL has only made 3 good management appointments in his tenure and it’s time he fully got behind the current one. 

• Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Steady on - that's an offence punishable by stoning.

Apologies, just went for some factual statistics.

I do feel he has done a very decent job for us in the circumstances but comparing his coaching record (against others) over the past few years is the wrong way of defending him.

58 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Well you better get used to it, because the 'negativity' now will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will happen if he does what we are suspecting he is waiting to do.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We are probably waiting for Mark Robins to be sacked…..after all, given all the money they’ve spent, they are hardly pulling up trees!

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well that will be the end of it for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Apologies, just went for some factual statistics.

I do feel he has done a very decent job for us in the circumstances but comparing his coaching record (against others) over the past few years is the wrong way of defending him.

Comparing his record here to anyone else anywhere is pointless, because they haven't had to do the job he has with the constraints he has had.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

We are probably waiting for Mark Robins to be sacked…..after all, given all the money they’ve spent, they are hardly pulling up trees!

I'd be surprised if it was a one hit push that, a big investment can be spread over 2-3 years for optimum results.

Lost two pivotal players, lots of credit in the bank to date, a new relatively sensible (on the face of it owner).

Slow start after a lot of change, it would be a bit ridiculous to sack Robins a few months into what could be a 2-3 year project. Wirh the heavy lifting coming in Year 1, and growth and tweaks thereafter.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be surprised if it was a one hit push that, a big investment can he spread over 2-3 years for optimum results.

Lost two pivotal players, lots of credit in the bank to date, a new relatively sensible (on the face of it owner).

Slow start after a lot of change, it would be a bit ridiculous to sack Robins a few months into what could be a 2-3 year project. Wirh the heavy lifting coming in Year 1, and growth and tweaks thereafter.

Well, ridiculous sackings happen...

• Like 1