IGNORED

Worst decision since when.....?

Steve Watts

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

This guy boils my piss.

What has he ever done in life to retire to the Bahamas in his mid 30s? Absolutely **** all whilst the rest of us slave away trying to provide for our families 

Have a billionaire father, that’s it.

He’s not actually qualified for much, which is why he’s let lose with the crayons & a video camera from time to time.

Would say nice work if you can get it, but he doesn’t “work”.

45 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

For me, this is possibly the worst decision the club have made since they phoned David Moyes and told him not to fly back from America to interview for the job as we'd given it to Tony Pulls. Genuinely don't think we've made as bad a call as today since then. 

Any advances on the Moyes/Pulis call?

Apparently it was SL who went for Pulis too! 

39 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Dean Holden

That was just a mistake that should never have been repeated. Eg Tinnion, Fawthrop and Millen. SL will never learn! Failure after failure! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Exactly- I almost feel sorry for JL as pretty much in any universe he would not have ended up as Chairman of a significant football club.

Time for change beyond just the Manager. I'm grateful for the support and money Steve has poured into our club but , jeez, he really does make it hard for himself.

Edit: And us

I’m glad you put “almost” in your opening sentence. 😉

He could easily have said “no” or walked away at any point if he felt it wasn’t for him / he wasn’t capable.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m glad you put “almost” in your opening sentence. 😉

He could easily have said “no” or walked away at any point if he felt it wasn’t for him / he wasn’t capable.

Neither you nor I know whether JL said "Dad I want to be Chairman for Christmas" or "Son, I'll make you Chairman for Christmas".

Either way - it was dumb dumb dumb.

Although I appeared to be in a minority , I liked Colin Sexton as a Chairman- at least he worked his way up on merit . Chairman are invariably likely to be unpopular in  most scenarios which don't involve honours or beeing a saviour but JL really isn't fit to wear the job.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Neither you nor I know whether JL said "Dad I want to be Chairman for Christmas" or "Son, I'll make you Chairman for Christmas".

Although I appeared to be in a minority , I liked Colin Sexton as a Chairman- at least he worked his way up on merit . Chairman are invariably likely to be unpopular in  most scenarios which don't involve honours or beeing a saviour but JL really isn't fit to wear the job.

My view is that SL kinda forced him into it, ie “Keith, can you mentor Jon so he can take over from me in the long-run”.  That was kinda alluded to in the announcement of his role back in 2013-ish (?).

I don’t remember the Sexton years….my falling out of love with football era.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

How does a Manager who has any knowledge of the tremendous job that Pearson has done in extremely tough circumstances, take a job with the people who have sacked him. I know it is about money but they must surely realise what low life's they would be working for.

Because they have egos.  They believe they can succeed despite the obstacles because they believe they are footballing geniuses.  

Football is not full of realistic reflective types.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

He laid the foundations for Leicester’s premier league successes before they even knew he had done.

Perhaps he has done the same for us with championship promotion. We just don’t know it yet. 

No. Because the ****s above turned the taps off and stopped him.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that SL kinda forced him into it, ie “Keith, can you mentor Jon so he can take over from me in the long-run”.  That was kinda alluded to in the announcement of his role back in 2013-ish (?).

Perhaps if he started off carrying Buster Footman's magic sponge or polishing the boots or serving sandwiches and worked his way up then maybe he could have gained some credibility?

Interestingly- your moment of falling out of love was during my second period of 'fever pitch'  (the first being Joe Jordan era)- perhaps that's why we see some things from different perspectives?

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

This guy boils my piss.

What has he ever done in life to retire to the Bahamas in his mid 30s? Absolutely **** all whilst the rest of us slave away trying to provide for our families 

It's called capitalism and it's why - as Jim Morrison sang in 1967 - "some are born to sweet delight, some are born to the endless night".

Jon can't help being born the son of someone who our system allows to have more money than a medium-sized African nation 

However he may be able to stop running the club he's "chairman" of, like a dick. 

16 minutes ago, 2015 said:

In terms of Football at City then since appointing Dean Holden 😂 Might be an even poorer decision coming up too.

Even Holden was allowed to escape a 6.0 at Watford and the fact we didn’t have a corner for several games! LJ given time and time again and cash galore. It’s a joke! Absolute shambles. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Perhaps if he started off carrying Buster Footman's magic sponge or polishing the boots or serving sandwiches and worked his way up then maybe he could have gained some credibility?

Interestingly- your moment of falling out of love was during my second period of 'fever pitch'  (the first being Joe Jordan era)- perhaps that's why we see some things from different perspectives?

I fell out of love with footie, not City.  I had to stop playing (I bloody loved playing) through injury at 30/31 having had 4/5 years of trying to and failing to overcome a ruptured ACL.  I watched City from afar, HTV news on a Monday night, but that was about it, until I started taking Joe in 13/14 under SOD.  So I had 10+ years “away”.

I saw the decline from Div 1 to Div 4.

I missed the GJ years.

I was back for Cotts Tier 3 success.

Some real downs and ups.

Today feels like a huge down from a promising position.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I heard what Jon actually asked for was a cowboy outfit, Steve misunderstood and gave him Bristol city to run.

Edited by Aipearcey

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I fell out of love with footie, not City.  I had to stop playing (I bloody loved playing) through injury at 30/31 having had 4/5 years of trying to and failing to overcome a ruptured ACL.  I watched City from afar, HTV news on a Monday night, but that was about it, until I started taking Joe in 13/14 under SOD.  So I had 10+ years “away”.

I missed the GJ years.

Some real downs and ups.

I also lived through the Div 4 days and had a bad injury that meant I couldn't play but could go home and away. Loved going to those old, tiny, run down grounds of yester year.

• Robin 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I missed the GJ years.

Some real downs and ups.

Well, some of us have been through a pretty much uninterrupted period of well over half a century, in my case from the early sixties, and I can tell you the only thing that surpasses this is the club almost going out of existence in 1982. The clowns who steered City into that catastrophic financial position, who included Stephen Kew, if I remember rightly, were in some respects of a similar ilk to the Lansdowns, and every bit as arrogant, stupid and detached from reality.

Sometimes it’s not just what you do, but how it’s done. The way that NP has been hung out to dry and shafted for personal, not football reasons, is really quite despicable. Like countless others, I have defended SL in the past against what at the time was very unfair criticism, but you can’t defend the indefensible and the only feeling I have towards the ownership now is one of complete and utter contempt. There is now a profound distrust among the fan base that will never be overcome, regardless of whether the Lansdowns stay or go in the long run.

One of the lowest points I’ve ever experienced in sixty-odd years of following this club. 

Edited by CliftonCliff
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Like countless others, I have defended SL in the past against what at the time was very unfair criticism, but you can’t defend the indefensible and the only feeling I have towards the ownership now is one of complete and utter contempt. There is now a profound distrust among the fan base that will never be overcome, regardless of whether the Lansdowns stay or go in the long run.

I'm with you there

I guess we can hope for a similar outcome as when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins, many thought it strange at the time but turned out well. TBF Southampton did seem a well run Club so there's a difference there.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hmmm he was involved with Gloucester during their most successful spell ever, and they still managed to lose money. Thought it was a dubious appointment at the time. Should , in hindsight, been a good appointment in as much as he replaced SL as Chairman. Lansdown should have stepped away and let the people he employed run things. 

Sadly he can't help himself, that and bad choices of who he put into high places has made it a shambles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Sometimes it’s not just what you do, but how it’s done. The way that NP has been hung out to dry and shafted for personal, not football reasons, is really quite despicable. Like countless others, I have defended SL in the past against what at the time was very unfair criticism, but you can’t defend the indefensible and the only feeling I have towards the ownership now is one of complete and utter contempt. There is now a profound distrust among the fan base that will never be overcome, regardless of whether the Lansdowns stay or go in the long run.

Brilliantly put.

This is a proper 'head's gone' moment and I have been exactly the same as you, nearly always defending them. Done with them now.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm with you there

I guess we can hope for a similar outcome as when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins, many thought it strange at the time but turned out well. TBF Southampton did seem a well run Club so there's a difference there.

Hmmm he was involved with Gloucester during their most successful spell ever, and they still managed to lose money. Thought it was a dubious appointment at the time. Should , in hindsight, been a good appointment in as much as he replaced SL as Chairman. Lansdown should have stepped away and let the people he employed run things

Sadly he can't help himself, that and bad choices of who he put into high places has made it a shambles.

Sadly he did do that for a while when he appointed the King of the Snake Oil Salesmen as CEO in 2016.

This particular bit I have a (very) small degree of sympathy with SL.  He appointed what appeared to be  a football man, acknowledging that his decision making on football related matters wasn't up to scratch.  Unfortunately for all his smooth talk and schmoozing when SL was present, he leaves and SL discovers that we've racked up more than he thought.  Won't be the last person to be sold on the patter of someone else's pitch.

Sadly, since Snake Oil left, the decisions have continued to be baffling.  The last good decision he signed off on was extending NP's contract from the initial "to the end of the season" appointment.