IGNORED

As the dust settles…

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

A lot of sense there Dave, but I am pretty sure it won't be a manager it will be a head coach...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

I’m very interested int this summer with some senior pros surely moving on + the nest egg will SL loosen those tight purse strings for the new manager surely he will! When someone leaves one story ends and another begins and with that comes opportunity. Please not Rowett though.

Let's be honest, it's going to be a LJ/Dean Holden type of appointment isn't it? Hence the head coach comments. 

Unfortunately it's going to be a poisoned chalice for the new head coach. The fans don't want him, the players don't want him, but we'll have to suck it up having him. 

He will always be compared to Pearson. If the board gives this guy money to spend then the talk is going to be about why wasn't Pearson given that money. 

Unfortunately for the new guy, Pearson is always going to be the elephant in the room. 

I'll try my hardest to back the new guy but it's not going to be easy as in the immediate future I'll feel as if he doesn't deserve to be here.

• Like 5

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think anyone saying things like this, needs to say why! 🤣🤣🤣

Because his teams don’t play good football at home. Very rigid 352 which is effective away but I know Millwall fans and others have been very critical of the way they have played at home and also inability to move away from his trusted methods. That’s why I want Frank yes he hasn’t done much but at least he tries to play and has good contacts 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

• a small squad
  • injuries

You're 'ere the voice of reason, Fevs.

I'll certainly be judging the incoming manager on his performance here and not pre-judging. Some names being floated leave you more nervous than others, but - assuming they don’t appoint a rookie - most managerial careers have their ups and downs, and each club will present a unique challenge. We might get someone who "clicks" here. 

Those saying the Lansdowns past record on appointments has been poor are dead right, but remember they did bring Pearson here: even if they subsequently didn't understand how the man operates and didn't give him the necessary support to achieve his (and our) progression at the club. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

• a small squad
  • injuries

I look at the managers available and it depresses me.

Most have not achieved what Nige has acheived - if we appoint one of them, whats the point of sacking a manager who is much better?

For me Eustace, was unlucky to be sacked, while 6th in the league. Think he did a good job at brum - so he is one of the few, who i'd be happy with.

The other name is Roy Keane - He wants to get back into management and did really well at Sunderland.

Other than that, a young manager on the up.

But not one of these managers who are "proven failures" at this level, such as Rowett - as i said, we might as well stuck with Nige.

Has Rowett worked under a DOF?

My money is on Tinnion being appointed DOF, the new Head Coach reporting to him.

We already have the non playing side covered off with the recent changes in responsibilities, bring the football side into line and hey presto the Lansdowns regain control.

The whole NP sacking is about control, with his personality, knowledge and determination NP had taken control away from SL and JL, they want that back.

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

The other name is Roy Keane - He wants to get back into management and did really well at Sunderland.

He wouldn't even be considered (rightly so on merit). Could you imagine him sitting across from Steve and Jon and the facial expressions and responses he would give to them? 

That said, I would pay a lot of money for a ringside seat at his job interview, even if it would be like a 1 round boxing match in duration.  

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

At which point we'd be a £30m business without a CEO, running a football club without a manager. Excellent.

We’ll have a DoF and a Head Coach. That’s a pretty common structure nowadays, isn’t it?

I’ve got wider concerns about the direction we’re taking on and off the pitch but they’re probably for other threads. Not having someone called “manager” isn’t really the most worrying. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think anyone saying things like this, needs to say why! 🤣🤣🤣

Some thoughts from me

1) Because he is inferior results wise to Pearson - never promoted   

2) Because his football is dreadful.  As confirmed by most fans reactions I’ve seen of clubs he has been manager of. And also heard at grounds when we’ve played his teams. And seen with my own eyes on numerous occasions.  

3) To a much lesser degree and anecdotally - is his focus purely on his club when he is manager?  Seemed to be on SSN a lot even as a pundit - even when manager of Millwall.  

4) He’s literally just been sacked by Millwall who have similar expectations to us - why would he be any better here?  Their fans were desperate for him to leave. Says a lot.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have little confidence that any head coach we get will be an upgrade on NP. And given the current squad situation, our league position is likely to get worse rather than better in the short term at least, especially as I see little sign of their being a “new manager bounce” given the way that the players seem to feel about what has happened.

This could get ugly for the owners, especially as even staying in this league isn’t guaranteed if you appoint the wrong person to lead the football side. That’s the bit that they have never seemed to understand. And as for the rumours of the board suggesting free agents to the manager, while selling the best player in the summer and then not allowing any of that same money to be used for new players, I think that would frustrate anybody. A relegation battle would anger fans, plus reduce the price any new owner is willing to pay, while relegation itself would completely undermine any plans the Lansdowns might have for selling up.

Meddling from “above” by people who have no real understanding of how things actually work at the frontline rarely goes well in any occupation or profession. And it’s nearly always resented. Football is no different and only a “yes man” like Johnson would accept that. Which is why I wouldn’t put it past Jon Lansdown sounding him out for a return. Now that really would lead to a mutiny amongst the fan base!

• Like 4

Still struggling with this one at the moment.  The thought of a less worthy manager standing there holding a City scarf  above his head and grinning like a lemon, with Steve and John Lansdown on either side, really puts a bad taste in my mouth right now. As I’m not the only one who probably feels like this may impact on the new incumbent who’ll start his new role knowing full well that he’s already signed up to play Santa’s little helper, and Big Man Steve’s little lapdog. 
Still angry. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kimpton said:

Because his teams don’t play good football at home. Very rigid 352 which is effective away but I know Millwall fans and others have been very critical of the way they have played at home and also inability to move away from his trusted methods. That’s why I want Frank yes he hasn’t done much but at least he tries to play and has good contacts 

That’s fine then, you’re someone who wants attractive football first and foremost by the sounds of it.

What I find is that many managers give it - I wanna play fast flowing, front foot, high press football, when they first come in.

But when results suffer, they change.

I think we should be open-minded about Rowett, as it’s possible his style at Millwall is influenced by factors like budget.  His signings this summer seemed to indicate him trying to transition away from the style we’ve seen under him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That’s fine then, you’re someone who wants attractive football first and foremost by the sounds of it.

What I find is that many managers give it - I wanna play fast flowing, front foot, high press football, when they first come in.

But when results suffer, they change.

I think we should be open-minded about Rowett, as it’s possible his style at Millwall is influenced by factors like budget.  His signings this summer seemed to indicate him trying to transition away from the style we’ve seen under him.

Yes i agree it is important for me if I am spending my cash, and yes you are right to be open minded as we all said the same about Cotterill and look what happened, the only thing I would say is at Brum, Derby and Millwall it’s all been very similar I just don’t see him keeping bums on seats at the gate.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What I keep coming back to is, who is able to do a better job than Pearson was with what we have available? 

Maybe we could have been doing slightly better this season but I think Pearson was pretty much getting the maximum out of what we have currently got. 

Time will certainly tell, amd I really hope we are all wrong 😂

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

• a small squad
  • injuries

Think for me Fevs, this sums it up perfectly. I was never a massive fan of NP but wholeheartedly appreciate the job he has done. 
On the field I thought he underachieved overall. 

The way the sacking has been dealt with is a disgrace but I don’t feel it’s a bad time to do it. 

SL clearly doesn’t trust NP with money and if he’s going to get someone in, give them a couple of months to assess the squad and then some funds in January and Summer then I think it’s a good time. 

NP come in and has done exactly what he was asked to do. 

Was he the man to take us further than that? For me absolutely not, I don’t see us ever having made the play offs with NP in charge. 

The first issue, making the right appointment. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You're 'ere the voice of reason, Fevs.

I'll certainly be judging the incoming manager on his performance here and not pre-judging. Some names being floated leave you more nervous than others, but - assuming they don’t appoint a rookie - most managerial careers have their ups and downs, and each club will present a unique challenge. We might get someone who "clicks" here. 

Those saying the Lansdowns past record on appointments has been poor are dead right, but remember they did bring Pearson here: even if they subsequently didn't understand how the man operates and didn't give him the necessary support to achieve his (and our) progression at the club. 

Overall SL’s appointment record (and I’m referring to that not his working relationship with managers) is meh at best but….

- Johnson Snr

- Cotts. Raise your hand if you were pleased when we appointed him. I certainly wasn’t.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

• a small squad
  • injuries

As @Red-Robbo has already said, the voice of reason Dave. However, that first bullet point seems crucial to me, and I fear that you may be wrong in the assumption you’re making.

A lot of last nights reading on here was pretty depressing. And none more so than where people seem to feel the need to demonstrate their support for NP by turning on everyone and anyone else in any way directly or indirectly associated with what’s happening. Including the new manager/head coach - before we even know who it is.

In several cases that was quite explicit. And one page, possibly even one post, managed to combine dislike of the unknown new person with some personal abuse directed at the last person (LJ) - apparently simply for coming either side of Pearson.

It’s happened before (for some, LJ was never forgiven for replacing SC) and I fear it will happen again. It already seems to be judging by comments even on this thread. 

• Like 1

The problem is the next manager to come in is going to be so disliked if they dont hit the ground running.

Just imagine the scenes if they get a good transfer kitty in January? Alot of the fan base will be like where was this money in the summer.

Even 5 million of the scott money in the summer would of given us at least 2 or 3 good players that would of taken us up a level and probably be in the playoffs right now.

• Like 3