IGNORED

As the dust settles…

Davefevs

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The only thing I would say is when the new Manager comes in we have to give them a chance. If it goes wrong make sure any blame and criticism is vented in the direction of where it REALLY lies. We aren’t an easy club to manage right now and any of the names listed might find it tougher than anything they’ve encountered before. In fact many Managers would have been seething at the line ups we’ve been naming recently. The fact a Manager guiding us through this tough period without public histrionics on the squad aspect has been fired isn’t down to the new manager.

I can very easily imagine a situation where a manager who's been succesful elsewhere really struggles here, Pearson will leave some decent size shoes to fill and any backwards steps will be hounded on by the fans. The disjointed nature of the club right now makes it pretty daunting so any notable performace improvements on the pitch shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is spot on to me. Tinnion doesn’t touch my best city team (watching since 1984). It may be sacrosanct, but I don’t think he was exceptional - just good, nothing more. I don’t recall there being serious interest in him from elsewhere which does tell a tale. Great passer with his left foot but not above good at anything else, and that was largely division 3. He’s seen as he is for two reasons - longevity and moments (Liverpool, Cambridge etc). 

I might be wrong here but I believe it was reported in the 90s that there was a personal life reason why he never moved on. 

Brian Tinnion.

Awesome at Anfield.

Shit at Swansea.

Twas at both of them. Sadly another over-promoted, hanger on who really should be somewhere else.

Is it me or whenever I see him he doesn’t look his best?

Sad thing is I suspect that until the Lansdowns **** off Good Old Brian’s feet are firmly under the table.

I think I might tell my Steve Lansdown’s Emperor’s New Clothes story tonight.

That might - just might - make the nay sayers think differently……. 😳

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

Based on previous experience I would be surprised if we have a new manager by January. After the first few genuine candidates say thanks but no thanks, 6 weeks of silence and being told this an important decision so we should be patient and then he will probably appoint Flemming or Tinnion.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, not very popular at all at the moment. Sadly, with Cardiff achieving two promotions to the PL and two cup finals, Lansdown's record is far inferior to Tan's. 

I get what your saying but promotion 1 he changed our kit to red ( I didn’t go once in red) and sacked a decent manager resulting in total capitulation with OGS in charge….number 2 was only achieved by Warnockness and he only gave him £60 million to spend even then which in all fairness he blew on absolute dross including 11 million to you guys for Bobby Reid who he never played and another 11 million on Murphy who I don’t think even plays football anymore…..even then Warnock almost kept us up even with the Sala tragedy. Two promotions if you like stats but the seasons following easily eclipsed any joy that came. The cup finals were good, he wasn’t around for the fa cup though 2008 and it was a Malky miracle we gave Liverpool a game in the league cup final. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Brian Tinnion.

Awesome at Anfield.

Shit at Swansea.

Twas at both of them. Sadly another over-promoted, hanger on who really should be somewhere else.

Is it me or whenever I see him he doesn’t look his best?

Sad thing is I suspect that until the Lansdowns **** off Good Old Brian’s feet are firmly under the table.

I think I might tell my Steve Lansdown’s Emperor’s New Clothes story tonight.

That might - just might - make the nay sayers think differently……. 😳

Do tell.

• Like 1

I don't want to knock the Lansdown's they have been very good to us, but f@《k me they do not know how to run a football club.

It's not often a manager is sacked that's quite so popular with the fanbase

I'm not sure whether I want SL to sell up and go, but I would like him to leave the footballing matters to those who know what they are doing. 

Oh, and an experienced chairman wouldn't go amiss.

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I don't want to knock the Lansdown's they have been very good to us, but f@《k me they do not know how to run a football club.

It's not often a manager is sacked that's quite so popular with the fanbase

I'm not sure whether I want SL to sell up and go, but I would like him to leave the footballing matters to those who know what they are doing. 

Oh, and an experienced chairman wouldn't go amiss.

You’ve just basically said he should go 

6 hours ago, TRL said:

I have never felt the guy had a clue other than being in it for his own vain agenda.

Got a stand named after him,job done.

Now **** off amd let some worthy of having a stand named after him.

Let's not forget the single ownership rules to stop financial melt down that he ripped up. So all this debt is squarely on him.

He is a complete arse in my book

Way I see it is that he's a businessman trying to run a football club with no idea how to and trying to make it run like his businesses do. He hasn't got the feel for a football club. He doesn't appoint football experts around him and consult them. I know Tins has done a decent job with youths/loans but he's not exactly top class. 

Pearson was old school and took no sh1t from anyone. It was only ever going to end one way after he spoke out about lack of communication from above. Yes, he deserves a new contract but it wasn't going to happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let's be honest, it's going to be a LJ/Dean Holden type of appointment isn't it? Hence the head coach comments. 

Unfortunately it's going to be a poisoned chalice for the new head coach. The fans don't want him, the players don't want him, but we'll have to suck it up having him. 

He will always be compared to Pearson. If the board gives this guy money to spend then the talk is going to be about why wasn't Pearson given that money. 

Unfortunately for the new guy, Pearson is always going to be the elephant in the room. 

I'll try my hardest to back the new guy but it's not going to be easy as in the immediate future I'll feel as if he doesn't deserve to be here.

Football fans are very fickle if the new manager or  head coach wins games and the football is good we'll all forget about Nigel Pearson he won't be an elephant or anything else in the room.

6 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Football fans are very fickle if the new manager or  head coach wins games and the football is good we'll all forget about Nigel Pearson he won't be an elephant or anything else in the room.

I think I actually disagree. I'd obviously be happy to see us winning but it won't last and will probably come at a high financial cost meaning we'll need another Pearson to come in and fix it. The issue is there aren't a lot of Pearson out there. 

I've always been very defensive of SL as I have always seen him as someone who bails us out when we need it but I think this is the turning point for me. If Pearson isn't good enough for him then he either needs to loosen his purse strings and pay very big to bring in someone who can do better or he needs to accept the people running the club are incapable of happening. He won't do either and therefore has finally lost my support both verbally and financially.

I'm genuinely happy to stop paying to watch this club, to stop buying it's merch and to essentially take away my support until things change and I hope a lot of our fans feel that way. If the fans stopped paying to watch, stopped buying the merch and left our beautiful stadium empty for a prolonged amount of time I can confidently say that SL would struggle to find a buyer and may end up actually having to get people in that the fans are happy to run the club. 

• Like 2