IGNORED

As the dust settles…

Davefevs

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Rowetts an odd one for me, and almost feels “Right man, wrong time”. He’s a decent manager at this level and one I’d have taken in the past. The nagging point is that I think he seems Pearson less 20% - I think he’d sort a situation out and work to a budget, but I’d have doubts over him being a man that kicks a team on. 

Put it this way - had he been in the frame post Holden I’d have probably been amenable. I’m just not sure how he moved us forward.

Yep, I said as much when he had a thread started about him the other night. He'd be a solid enough choice and we'll undoubtedly be linked with worse than him. But it's not particularly inpsiring and I'm not sure what he'd bring that Pearson wasn't.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

Without doubt a bad start will see things get volatile far quicker than you’d ordinarily expect. 

I know I shouldn't compare us to the gas but I was thinking of the scenario when Ben Garner replaced the Irish bloke who is now the Newport manager. Coming into the club mid season and looking to make big changes to style (plus an unhappy fanbase) is going to be extremely difficult and an uphill battle.

If things do wrong then I hope the frustrations are pointed to the right people, I don't want to start biting the hand that pays the cheques but when they oversee a year or so of board room chaos and being largely absent from spotlight but also talk promotion then they need a reality check.

• Flames 1

Being probably on the younger side on this forum, I’ve been watching Bristol city for 10 years and have been a season ticket holder for 8. During this time I have probably been quite lucky compared to what most have endured following bcfc. 

Winning the double, that carabao cup run, flirting with playoffs and watching some extremely talented youngsters.

My dad, who’s been watching city for the better part of a half century, told me as we were singing “we are the champions” in the Atyeo stand after thumping Walsall 8-2 “this isn’t how it usually is, remember this as it doesn’t happen often” and my reply was along the lines of “stop being so negative dad we are on the up”.

After what went down yesterday, I’ve never felt so disillusioned or down right angry as a city fan. Until the past couple of years, I’ve never really been that interested in the behind the scenes, finances and the goings on at city behind what’s done on the pitch. 

But being on the forum the past 2 years, and actively trying to be more aware of the behind the scenes, now it just feels like we are here to make up the numbers. Lansdown might say he wants us in the prem but no longer wants to front the bill to get there or keeps making decisions that I feel are completely contradictory to that aim. As other teams fans like to say “classic mid table Bristol city” we always seem to be on the verge of something but never pull through. 

Not really sure the reason for this rant, but wanted to share my views on what’s been going on i guess. How do you lot who have seen similar all before and been supporting way longer feel? 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Cotts favourite with bookies, he is a year younger than Nigel at 59!

Lamps

Wilder

Rowett

also rans.

Cotterill isn’t favourite anywhere that I can see. Eustace and Rowett are leading the betting. Cotts is a total non starter and is only in the betting due to prior connections/nostalgic punts.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Riaz said:

I look at the managers available and it depresses me.

Most have not achieved what Nige has acheived - if we appoint one of them, whats the point of sacking a manager who is much better?

For me Eustace, was unlucky to be sacked, while 6th in the league. Think he did a good job at brum - so he is one of the few, who i'd be happy with.

The other name is Roy Keane - He wants to get back into management and did really well at Sunderland.

Other than that, a young manager on the up.

But not one of these managers who are "proven failures" at this level, such as Rowett - as i said, we might as well stuck with Nige.

The only way Roy Keane gets appointed by SL is if he thinks Jon needs toughening up. Roy would chin Jon on day 1!

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He had a big budget at Stoke and failed.

Looking at his record overall. He did really well at Brum - but hasnt done anything that impressive since.

I'd be disappointed if he's appointed. We had a better manager, who has done things in his career, which Rowett hasnt got near to achieving

I don’t disagree, but what are you gonna do if / when he is appointed? 🤣 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't underestimate the role Tinnion is going to have/already is having, in this appointment.

That’s supposed to make me any more positive?

Don’t get the love others have for him, he was a good player with a lengthy career at AG, nothing more.

When I listen to him, he’s pretty inarticulate & just repeats stock phrases.

Seems very happy to change horses in order to stay in his current role to me.

This summer he talked about lower league players with over 100 appearances as our targets, unless we are seriously suggesting Jason Knight, a current international who has played most of his career at Championship was one, we then didn’t sign any of them.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

I think there could be a bumpy transition , at least to start. The new man could get caught in Pearson support and Lansdown demo. I doubt there is one name that will be the oil on troubled water, so it will need results. That ain't gonna be easy unless we get bodies back soon.

We are in a decent position in theory. Pretty good but small squad, shouldn't worry about the fear of relegation and we were expecting to be taking the next step until SL took the money away. 
The only reason we have struggled results wise IMO is injuries. Get a few players back, 2 games against some poor sides seems like a great time for a guy to take over really. 

Is there anyone out there that has full confidence in the Board , and that means Steve with added nodding from Jon, actually getting the right man in ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree, but what are you gonna do if / when he is appointed? 🤣 

Be pissed off and expect a relegation battle.

Will also join the army of Lansdown out brigade.

Not much else i can do, other than that

• Robin 1

I’m still pretty disillusioned by the decision to get rid of Nigel Pearson, even having had 24 hours to let it sink in.

This could turn out to be either a master stroke or another complete balls up which sets us back. I guess time will tell?

We have to get behind the new manager and the team, but right now I’m very concerned about the custodians of the club.

Whilst I appreciate the money that has been invested I feel a disconnection that only appears to be growing.

I’m beginning to lose interest and faith is shot to bits right now.

I’m going to see how it goes over the next few weeks and months, but I do know that if we go backwards again following this latest decision then I’m done with the Lansdown regime as I just can’t see us going anywhere or taking any statement that they come up with seriously. The statement about expecting promotion with the state of the current squad is just totally unrealistic.

At the moment I’m very close to calling it a day until the Lansdown’s are out of this club.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

I thought all along that it was a tactical decision not to fund NP in the last window. The people in charge had all ready made their decision that he was going and and such were never going to give him much to spend apart from what was absolutely necessary.

If the rumours today about OOC players and NP not wanting is true then it makes sense from their position to get rid now and not wait till the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Has Rowett worked under a DOF?

My money is on Tinnion being appointed DOF, the new Head Coach reporting to him.

We already have the non playing side covered off with the recent changes in responsibilities, bring the football side into line and hey presto the Lansdowns regain control.

The whole NP sacking is about control, with his personality, knowledge and determination NP had taken control away from SL and JL, they want that back.

Lot of truth in that last point. The irony is that they correctly appointed someone of experience with a strong personality to rescue them from a total mess of their own making, and to change the whole culture of the club to something less glaringly dysfunctional.  They then sack him when he does those things so competently, and becomes, in their conspicuous absence, the visible face of BCFC, because they are then resentful that he’s shouldered a role and responsibility that they’ve abdicated from and consequently feel threatened by him.

Pathetic, really, isn’t it ?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Brilliant piece that, absolutey nails it. Do we know who wrote it?

Edited by Northern Red

18 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I thought all along that it was a tactical decision not to fund NP in the last window. The people in charge had all ready made their decision that he was going and and such were never going to give him much to spend apart from what was absolutely necessary.

If the rumours today about OOC players and NP not wanting is true then it makes sense from their position to get rid now and not wait till the summer. 

I think you are right.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let's be honest, it's going to be a LJ/Dean Holden type of appointment isn't it? Hence the head coach comments. 

Unfortunately it's going to be a poisoned chalice for the new head coach. The fans don't want him, the players don't want him, but we'll have to suck it up having him. 

He will always be compared to Pearson. If the board gives this guy money to spend then the talk is going to be about why wasn't Pearson given that money. 

Unfortunately for the new guy, Pearson is always going to be the elephant in the room. 

I'll try my hardest to back the new guy but it's not going to be easy as in the immediate future I'll feel as if he doesn't deserve to be here.

Said this to a mate yesterday. You almost want the real man in place after the next manager as if they get off to a bad start, which is entirely possible with our injuries, the fans will go after him as a way of getting at the board. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Said this to a mate yesterday. You almost want the real man in place after the next manager as if they get off to a bad start, which is entirely possible with our injuries, the fans will go after him as a way of getting at the board. 

Possibly but a big "if" - new medical team coming remember. maybe they will be the "ones" to sort out the 5 year injury mess ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Ha no danger of captain crayon applying that level of 4d chess to the recruitment process. 

Just now, Montpelierblue said:

I’m getting the feeling Lansdown isn’t too popular? Is he cut from the same cloth as Vincent Tan? Has a lot of money but no clue how to run a club properly…..I believe our vinnie has taken a bit of a backseat this season and let Mehmet Dalman run the show a bit more, I think we can all see the difference…..

No, not very popular at all at the moment. Sadly, with Cardiff achieving two promotions to the PL and two cup finals, Lansdown's record is far inferior to Tan's. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I’m getting the feeling Lansdown isn’t too popular? Is he cut from the same cloth as Vincent Tan? Has a lot of money but no clue how to run a club properly…..I believe our vinnie has taken a bit of a backseat this season and let Mehmet Dalman run the show a bit more, I think we can all see the difference…..

Unfortunately for us the owners version of taking a back seat is unleashing his utterly incompetent son on the club as chairman - because if it failed having him as CEO the last time we got relegated, there’s no way it would go wrong with him as chairman…