IGNORED

As the dust settles…

Davefevs

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That’s supposed to make me any more positive?

Don’t get the love others have for him, he was a good player with a lengthy career at AG, nothing more.

When I listen to him, he’s pretty inarticulate & just repeats stock phrases.

Seems very happy to change horses in order to stay in his current role to me.

This summer he talked about lower league players with over 100 appearances as our targets, unless we are seriously suggesting Jason Knight, a current international who has played most of his career at Championship was one, we then didn’t sign any of them.

This is spot on to me. Tinnion doesn’t touch my best city team (watching since 1984). It may be sacrosanct, but I don’t think he was exceptional - just good, nothing more. I don’t recall there being serious interest in him from elsewhere which does tell a tale. Great passer with his left foot but not above good at anything else, and that was largely division 3. He’s seen as he is for two reasons - longevity and moments (Liverpool, Cambridge etc). 

I might be wrong here but I believe it was reported in the 90s that there was a personal life reason why he never moved on. 

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Unfortunately for us the owners version of taking a back seat is unleashing his utterly incompetent son on the club as chairman - because if it failed having him as CEO the last time we got relegated, there’s no way it would go wrong with him as chairman…

So basically, was doing ok just jumped the gun sacking Pearson ? Surely they would have to take injuries into consideration?

that’s the worry I guess, clueless…..maybe Pearson had just had enough ? Some jumped up rich kid trying to tell him what to do…

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, not very popular at all at the moment. Sadly, with Cardiff achieving two promotions to the PL and two cup finals, Lansdown's record is far inferior to Tan's. 

Think one of the Cup finals came under a different ownership, and can't forget Parachute Payments assisted with the 2nd promotion.

I've tried to stay off OTIB since I heard the news about NP.

The reason being that I was so f@cking angry that I may post something that I would regret 'as the dust settles'.

However, I'm still absolutely livid. I'm old enough to have been around watching us in 1976 and then being relegated all the way to the bottom of Div 4 but I've never felt like a feel now.

I've just seen the list of potential managers to replace NP. I'm now feeling even worse! Nobody is going to convince me that anyone on that list is even close to being a better option than NP. 

Just when I thought that I could never be surprised at how inept the hierarchy could be. They have gone and proved me wrong. Again.  

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

With the two games coming up, I’m not expecting any announcement until after them. Imagine a new person coming in and losing those two games. 

I read on a bristol live article, that they "understand" that the club are hoping to appointment someone before saturday!

City are understood to have not yet identified a definitive No1 candidate as yet and are expected to speak to a number of managers over the next few days in the hope of securing an appointment in time for Sheffield Wednesday at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-next-manager-pearson-8867389

Very few of us want to be where we are right now.

We are saddened by the decision to remove Nige, and the manner in which it was done.

Some us fear a relegation battle, which none of us were even considering after Saturday's result. 

At the moment I couldn't care less who is appointed to replace Nige. 

Whoever the jokers appoint will have had no bearing over previous events, which shouldn't go unrecognised upon their appointment.

At present the only thing we can do is get behind the players, whom I'm inclined to feel are as disappointed as us.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I read on a bristol live article, that they "understand" that the club are hoping to appointment someone before saturday!

Awesome.

(sarcasm doesn't come across well in typing form).

Hands up who remembers the long and extensive search for a Manager before and then we ended up with Dean f@cking Holden. Lovely human being. Great at filling water bottles and picking up the cones. Should neve be anywhere near the Manager's job. I fear that we will end up with someone of a similar ilk. God I hate Modays at the best of times but today is a whole different level.

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

Awesome.

(sarcasm doesn't come across well in typing form).

Hands up who remembers the long and extensive search for a Manager before and then we ended up with Dean f@cking Holden. Lovely human being. Great at filling water bottles and picking up the cones. Should neve be anywhere near the Manager's job. I fear that we will end up with someone of a similar ilk. God I hate Modays at the best of times but today is a whole different level.

I feel the same. I dont have much faith in those choosing our next manager. I'm fully expecting a manager, that has been proven to be a lesser manager than Nigel Pearson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

He had a big budget at Stoke and failed.

Looking at his record overall. He did really well at Brum - but hasn't done anything that impressive since.

I'd be disappointed if he's appointed. We had a better manager, who has done things in his career, which Rowett hasnt got near to achieving

He joined Millwall, who finished in 21st place in 2017/18, in Oct 18.  He guided them to 8th, 11th, 9th and 8th place finishes, only a point off the playoffs last season.  That must be at least borderline impressive?

• Like 2

What a shame, especially hiding behind "results" as the rationale. We can all see it's due to the Lansdowns finding Pearson tricky to work with.

I suspect they thought the fans would be more sympathetic after a derby defeat, which once again shows how out of touch they are. 

I don't know who they can appoint who'd realistically be an upgrade. If it's Gary Rowett that would be incredibly underwhelming.

4 minutes ago, red panda said:

He joined Millwall, who finished in 21st place in 2017/18, in Oct 18.  He guided them to 8th, 11th, 9th and 8th place finishes, only a point off the playoffs last season.  That must be at least borderline impressive?

But then lost his job? where did he leave them in the league?

He did well - but i dont see the rationale in sacking a manager, who has been there and done it. For someone who has done well at times, with never getting a promotion. And he's had a number of clubs.

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, red panda said:

Rowett would be a poor man’s version of Pearson. He certainly wouldn’t be the worst on any list being suggested, and might have been fine as a replacement for Holden, but anyone following Nige has huge shoes to fill and I don’t see anyone mentioned so far that makes we in anyway optimistic about who we will end up with, especially given the Lansdown anti-Midas touch when it comes to appointing managers and coaches.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, red panda said:

The problem I have is that I don't care about any of the names that have been mentioned and that includes Rowett. Not one single name on the list is even close to being a better manager than NP. Not even remotely close.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Thanks Pete. Say what you like about Sky Sports, but you're right, that was absolutely bang on summary by Ron Walker.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

To be fair, they did consistently say, they were “going through a thorough process”

Thoroughly useless would be far closer to the truth. Wanted a “yes man” got a “yes man” and the results on the pitch spoke for themselves, as Holden was way out of his depth.

55 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Ha no danger of captain crayon applying that level of 4d chess to the recruitment process. 

❤️ that description. Someone needs to use it on Sound of the City tonight. Then refer to Steve Lansdown as Captain Crayon's dad. It the small things that get you through.

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Balls said:

Thoroughly useless would be far closer to the truth. Wanted a “yes man” got a “yes man” and the results on the pitch spoke for themselves, as Holden was way out of his depth.

A very long time, to appoint someone within, was puzzling to say the least

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That’s supposed to make me any more positive?

Don’t get the love others have for him, he was a good player with a lengthy career at AG, nothing more.

When I listen to him, he’s pretty inarticulate & just repeats stock phrases.

Seems very happy to change horses in order to stay in his current role to me.

This summer he talked about lower league players with over 100 appearances as our targets, unless we are seriously suggesting Jason Knight, a current international who has played most of his career at Championship was one, we then didn’t sign any of them.

Well put. Think he's after more power than just staying in his current role though.

The only thing I would say is when the new Manager comes in we have to give them a chance. If it goes wrong make sure any blame and criticism is vented in the direction of where it REALLY lies. We aren’t an easy club to manage right now and any of the names listed might find it tougher than anything they’ve encountered before. In fact many Managers would have been seething at the line ups we’ve been naming recently. The fact a Manager guiding us through this tough period without public histrionics on the squad aspect has been fired isn’t down to the new manager.

• Like 7

Just listened to this and couldn’t help thinking of out-of-touch executives not really having any idea of what is really going on and then not being able to handle it properly when they have someone speak up about problems, without reflecting on the last 24 hours at Ashton Gate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001rq70

The sacking of Pearson is clearly a case of shooting the messenger rather than appreciating the importance of the message and reacting appropriately!

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

But then lost his job? where did he leave them in the league?

He did well - but i dont see the rationale in sacking a manager, who has been there and done it. For someone who has done well at times, with never getting a promotion. And he's had a number of clubs.

Only thing I think is this:

Steve "I'm not prepared to continue to spend much money on this club. You OK with that?"

Nigel "No"

Gary "Yes"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Only thing I think is this:

Steve "I'm not prepared to continue to spend much money on this club. You OK with that?"

Nigel "No"

Gary "Yes"

Saw this elsewhere - not sure how true it is

IMG_1379.jpeg

Edited by Riaz
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

Very measured, as always, @Davefevs, but I think Pearson is massively under-appreciated for what he's done, managing through the later COVID phases, reducing the wage bill and making use of the kids, whilst keeping us at least on an even keel in terms of league position. That's quite an achievement.

I'm curious to know what Tins' role in all of this has been. I suspect his influence on the academy has been overstated, and I wonder if he's been whispering in ears. I would be disappointed if he has, but I don't know that man.

As for replacements...someone with fresh ideas would be good, not the same old like Rowett, etc. But FFS not Jones or Lampard.

• Like 1