IGNORED

Board interference

petehinton

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-showdown-8867498

Two key bits for me when trying to use his health against him….

“He replied: “Sometimes you get international breaks and it’s that sort of stage where things can happen. If you get a phone call on a Sunday after the game when the international break starts, you know you’ve got a bit of a problem.”

He wasn’t speaking hypothetically, Bristol Live understands that Pearson did receive exactly such a phone call from a member of the City hierarchy on the Sunday after the 2-1 defeat at Leeds United, in which his position was discussed, primarily around his health, and whether he thought it wise to continue in the long term.

Unsurprisingly, the manager rejected any such assertions and so began an international break of sometimes uncomfortable discussions between the 60-year-old, his representatives and various individuals of influence at City: technical director Brian Tinnion, chief operating officer Tom Rawcliffe and Bristol Sport CEO Gavin Marshall.”

And the board thinking they know more than the professionals….

“Others thought differently, believing that lack of visibility of the manager to the players naturally had an impact on their sharpness and concentration. There were also concerns over the time off given to the players over each international break, with nine days afforded in September and October. That was deemed too much and there were claims (naturally rejected) that it left the players under-conditioned for when the league programme resumed.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-showdown-8867498

“He replied: “Sometimes you get international breaks and it’s that sort of stage where things can happen. If you get a phone call on a Sunday after the game when the international break starts, you know you’ve got a bit of a problem.”

He wasn’t speaking hypothetically, Bristol Live understands that Pearson did receive exactly such a phone call from a member of the City hierarchy on the Sunday after the 2-1 defeat at Leeds United, in which his position was discussed, primarily around his health, and whether he thought it wise to continue in the long term.

Unsurprisingly, the manager rejected any such assertions and so began an international break of sometimes uncomfortable discussions between the 60-year-old, his representatives and various individuals of influence at City: technical director Brian Tinnion, chief operating officer Tom Rawcliffe and Bristol Sport CEO Gavin Marshall.”

“Others thought differently, believing that lack of visibility of the manager to the players naturally had an impact on their sharpness and concentration. There were also concerns over the time off given to the players over each international break, with nine days afforded in September and October. That was deemed too much and there were claims (naturally rejected) that it left the players under-conditioned for when the league programme resumed.”

Been told by a few people who would definitely know that tinnion has a little bit to much of a voice at the club  and it’s not particularly helpful at times 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Cowards. Trying to use the man’s health against him to get him to resign.

Id actually would have had more respect for them if they came out at the end of last season and said they want to go in a different direction.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That article pretty much sums up what I’ve always suspected - that it’s all been to do with his health. They acted now before he starts winning again. 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Does very much sound like Tinnion and Steve are up to their old tricks again.

And of course, neither Tinnion nor Steve are actually on the board.

So it's not even "board" interference as @petehinton puts it, if true it's "fellow employee and ultimate beneficial owner" interference that the board have failed to spot or stop.

So it's even worse than board interference imo.

There is just absolutely zero corporate governance at this Club. Zero.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And of course, neither Tinnion nor Steve are actually on the board.

So it's not even "board" interference as @petehinton puts it, if true it's "fellow employee and ultimate beneficial owner" interference that the board have failed to spot or stop.

So it's even worse than board interference imo.

I suspect that is because Steve has employed only those that will never argue against him....

Something that evidence suggests he tries and tries with the manager too.

Which is why we will never go anywhere while he is owner. Ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Cowards. Trying to use the man’s health against him to get him to resign.

Id actually would have had more respect for them if they came out at the end of last season and said they want to go in a different direction.

But if they are concerned Nigel isn't well enough, then saying "we want to go in a different direction" is not honest, is it?

Is it legitimate for Bristol City to be concerned about Nige's health when weighing up the next two or three years?

41 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You're right. Of course, Steve Lansdown is far from the only my-way-or-the-highway owner in English football. It's just that some of them have the gumption to trust the managers they employ take football decisions and actually listen to them for advice.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, HibbsyBCFC said:

So true.

No CEO and only two Board members; Gavin Marshall and Jon Lansdown. I had a few beers last week with someone who has worked within the group for some time - someone whose opinion I value. Their views on Gavin Marshall were absolutely scathing, both in terms of his character and also his complete lack of credibility / ability in his roles as BS CEO and BCFC Board Member. Their view of JL was basically "nice enough fella, but useless". Possibly their most damning quote however, was that in their opinion, Bristol Sport as a whole is "full of wannabes, has-beens and greasy pole climbers".

I was left scratching my head when Steve Lansdown sacked Danny Wilson and replaced him with Brian Tinnion. 19 years later, after countless Managers, Head Coaches, DoFs, CEOs Technical Directors etc, etc, I'm still left scratching my head....

You shouldn't. Pieced together his farcical managerial choices absolutely make sense. 

Tinnion,Millen,Johnson,Holden.  Neither of these should of been appointed. 3 of the 4 had virtually zero managerial experience. I wonder why that is.... 

Then look at some of those with experience. 

Coppell = left after 2 games. Rumoured he wasn't happy with James being signed. 

Cotteill = not lansdowns choice, brought in to steady the ship. Wasn't backed when we went up, was critical. Given the boot at the first opportunity.

Pearson = was fairly obvious both Lansdowns were uneasy with the appointment in the first place. Never particularly backed under the guise of Covid. Became critical. Sacked. 

That leaves the likes of Johnson snr, who was successful, a rare time owner and fans were on board. 

And Mcinness and SOD. Well the latter always seemed miserable. 

• Like 3

Personally I have long considered Brian Tinnion a brown noser but the problem is you call him out on X and you get all the “you’re a legend Tins” brigade all over you.

Great player but shit manager who should be out of football matters once a player gets promoted to the first team squad training.

I am sure his worshippers will be all over this - ready, steady, go 🙀

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Pearson = was fairly obvious both Lansdowns were uneasy with the appointment in the first place. Never particularly backed under the guise of Covid. Became critical. Sacked. 

Wasn't a guise, I believe that we were actually at genuine risk of failing FFP until Semenyo sold but thereafter especially post Scott, no excuse for not backing him better. As for the lack of new contract then the sacking, disgraceful.

League would have taken a dim view had we sought to push bigger allowables for Covid and keep spending etc albeit there are 2 or 3 clubs who seem to have got off lightly to date.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Been told by a few people who would definitely know that tinnion has a little bit to much of a voice at the club  and it’s not particularly helpful at times 

Who are the ‘few people’ who have told you this?  I don’t need to know their names, just some indication of how they would ‘definitely know’.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Meh said:

Personally I have long considered Brian Tinnion a brown noser but the problem is you call him out on X and you get all the “you’re a legend Tins” brigade all over you.

Great player but shit manager who should be out of football matters once a player gets promoted to the first team squad training.

I am sure his worshippers will be all over this - ready, steady, go 🙀

Meh.

• Like 1

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But if they are concerned Nigel isn't well enough, then saying "we want to go in a different direction" is not honest, is it?

Is it legitimate for Bristol City to be concerned about Nige's health when weighing up the next two or three years?

It would all be relatable to how serious any illness was

If Nige isn't concerned etc yet the club were pushing it as a reason then 100% it is an issue

BUT, if there are genuine concerns then as the employer they should have a duty of care, I know where I would be if I was trying to push someone out of my business if they were unwell

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, HibbsyBCFC said:

I was left scratching my head when Steve Lansdown sacked Danny Wilson and replaced him with Brian Tinnion. 19 years later, after countless Managers, Head Coaches, DoFs, CEOs Technical Directors etc, etc, I'm still left scratching my head....

Yes, how many failed managers is it now plus sundry other employees who turned out to be useless - so many we've lost count.

And the one common denominator in all that time?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You shouldn't. Pieced together his farcical managerial choices absolutely make sense. 

Tinnion,Millen,Johnson,Holden.  Neither of these should of been appointed. 3 of the 4 had virtually zero managerial experience. I wonder why that is.... 

Then look at some of those with experience. 

Coppell = left after 2 games. Rumoured he wasn't happy with James being signed. 

Cotteill = not lansdowns choice, brought in to steady the ship. Wasn't backed when we went up, was critical. Given the boot at the first opportunity.

That leaves the likes of Johnson snr, who was successful, a rare time owner and fans were on board. 

And Mcinness and SOD. Well the latter always seemed miserable. 

Completely agree. I also think SOD sounded miserable because he too had no respect for the hierarchy, so you could potentially add him to the Coppell/Cotterill/Pearson list - although that is just a gut feeling I had at the time. 

I am now simply left scratching my head at how our owner can be so tone deaf. Even then, I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, if his ego is big enough to name a stand after himself whilst still involved in the club?...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Tinnion is also pretty thick

Never been a huge fan myself, even when he's had heaps of praise for bringing in Alex Scott and others. The Scott situation seems to have been a fairly simple one with the Guernsey owner/manager giving us the heads-up of how good he could be, and then him scoring a hattrick on trial. Hardly a superb bit of talent identification by Tinnion in my eyes. His visible input in the club seems to be pretty basic in my eyes, not terrible but not inspiring and deserving of plaudits.

I just feel a football club needs a balance of football people and business people. We have both groups but the roles of our top people seem to be blurred into ineffectiveness. A proper methodical co-ordination of the business at the top is essential going forward if we want any shot of the 'premier league dream'. Tinnion is a football person and can't be caught up in managerial decisions.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wasn't a guise, I believe that we were actually at genuine risk of failing FFP until Semenyo sold but thereafter especially post Scott, no excuse for not backing him better. As for the lack of new contract then the sacking, disgraceful.

League would have taken a dim view had we sought to push bigger allowables for Covid etc albeit there are 2 or 3 clubs who seem to have got got got lightly to date.

Yeah, wrong word used. 

I totally get the effects it had. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Can also confirm from people inside the club. Had hoped it was just nonsense. Is the agent the one who BT really doesn’t like to work with?

You mean the one with an axe to grind ?

I think I know the one.

Edited by bcfc01