IGNORED

Board interference

petehinton

32 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Here's a piece of an article on the difference between the Man Utd and Man City set ups:

Compare United with the high-grade operation run at City by the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, and his executives Ferran Soriano (chief executive) and Txiki Begiristain (sporting director) and you see clear lines of expert leadership at the Etihad Stadium – precisely what Guardiola spoke of after winning the 191st derby on Sunday.

“We are in the same direction, chairman, CEO, sport director, manager and the players,” he said. “Wrong or right, we go there. We make mistakes of course but when we lose or things are not going well we are not here to blame someone, we just see what we have to do to be better.

Note the phrase expert leadership - not something we can claim, though Steve no doubt thinks he is an expert.

You don't have to be a football genius to understand that this is the way to run a club at any level. Instead we have Daddy's boy as Chairman, decided a CEO isn't needed and have a technical director who appears to be pursuing his own agenda.

Piss up and brewery comes to mind.😠

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/30/erik-ten-hag-is-at-the-steering-wheel-of-a-directionless-manchester-united

This is it precisely. Brighton, Brentford, Luton, etc., may all be a different beast to Man City, and different from eachother, but they had a plan. They knew where they were, what they were, where the wanted to go and most importantly put coherent plans in place to achieve this. 

By contrast, SL’s tenure has flip flopped from one thing to another. For a successful businessman he has shown a staggering lack of foresight in employing people to create the right structures to bring success. It really does beg the question, was Ashton not the complete tw*t after all, just not managed properly? Did he want Johnson, or was that SL’s own decision? For all the failures of the Managers, coaches, CEO’s, etc. there is only one person where the buck stops. And that’s with SL.

I have heard that one of the key reasons for the success of Hargreaves Lansdown, was that they hit on good products for a gap in the financial sector and most importantly once they hit some success they got in really good people to grow the business. Yes, experts. This is the usual pattern for successful business. So how is it that SL in all the time he has been in the football industry now, has not applied the same values. Football is, as he acknowledges, unlike most businesses (bit of a basket case industry), but surely by now he would have the contacts to put him in touch with some seriously good CEOs or football people with real nous and vision. 

For all of his wealth and business experience, he appears to be presiding over a pretty amateurish structure. From what people have said over the years, it does appear that he really is acting like it’s his money and treating it like an expensive hobby or toy. SL has impressively set up the physical infrastructure and I don’t begrudge him getting his money back+, but sadly I think his tenure has become stale, lacking energy, ideas, and increasingly lacking credibility.

I really hope we strike lucky and get in a clever coach now who will push us forward. Most importantly, I would hope that we get in some fresh owners with new ideas and wanting the club to get somewhere based on a solid plan with good people (not just mates) in all key areas. Not asking much is it...? 🤔🤣

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Have to say, I’m finding this criticism of Tinnion rather odd.

For years he’s had nothing but praise on here, he’s a club legend and was a hero to many of us and been held in high regard. I’ve never seen a negative post about him I don’t think (except towards his time as manager).

I’ve never even heard of the “Wilson situation” until this week - and now suddenly everyone’s turned on him, it’s well known he’s a snake etc.

Just find it rather bizarre.

Status as a player has nothing to do with it. Of course excellent player and wonderful servant. But then it’s another era and side to football. I don’t think United fans would be happy with Beckham suddenly in a senior role! 

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It felt so joined up this time last year with the Fans Forum - RG, NP and BT all seemed to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

Ah, but that was all about communication and good PR with the punters. The fact that nobody from the board was available to comment on BBC tonight was appalling PR. It smacks less of cowardice, but more of lacking a credible reason/strategy for them to put to the fans/ punters/customers. This just leaves a void for conspiracies, fans theories, etc. Just be straight as possible with the punters (where employment legalities allow), front up and at least this might show a little bit of confident leadership to the fans.

I just want to get back to enjoying the football side of things again, can’t tell you how much (like all of us on here, no matter what your views) that SL makes an inspired appointment even if it is more by luck than any great footballing foresight! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ray savino said:

Ah, but that was all about communication and good PR with the punters. The fact that nobody from the board was available to comment on BBC tonight was appalling PR. It smacks less of cowardice, but more of lacking a credible reason/strategy for them to put to the fans/ punters/customers. This just leaves a void for conspiracies, fans theories, etc. Just be straight as possible with the punters (where employment legalities allow), front up and at least this might show a little bit of confident leadership to the fans.

I just want to get back to enjoying the football side of things again, can’t tell you how much (like all of us on here, no matter what your views) that SL makes an inspired appointment even if it is more by luck than any great footballing foresight! 

Perhaps they’re having a crisis meeting and weeding out the grass? 
if the lansdowns weren’t so absent they would probably have a better idea about what is going on at the club.

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And of course, neither Tinnion nor Steve are actually on the board.

So it's not even "board" interference as @petehinton puts it, if true it's "fellow employee and ultimate beneficial owner" interference that the board have failed to spot or stop.

So it's even worse than board interference imo.

There is just absolutely zero corporate governance at this Club. Zero.

It’s nepotism. Pure and simple and it’s pathetic and childlike. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And of course, neither Tinnion nor Steve are actually on the board.

So it's not even "board" interference as @petehinton puts it, if true it's "fellow employee and ultimate beneficial owner" interference that the board have failed to spot or stop.

So it's even worse than board interference imo.

There is just absolutely zero corporate governance at this Club. Zero.

I would hope this debacle might instigate change at corporate level

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would hope this debacle might instigate change at corporate level

I agree, but sadly I think it's clear that Steve has over the past 25 years developed a fear of any director, employee, fan, or any other person who counsels against him. 

The only way we will get change at that level is through a sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree, but sadly I think it's clear that Steve has over the past 25 years developed a fear of any director, employee, fan, or any other person who counsels against him. 

The only way we will get change at that level is through a sale.

If it’s true about Tins involvement in the sacking of Nige, surely he’d have to go? Especially because of the back lash etc. 

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Status as a player has nothing to do with it. Of course excellent player and wonderful servant. But then it’s another era and side to football. I don’t think United fans would be happy with Beckham suddenly in a senior role! 

But my point is this is the first time I’ve seen his position criticised

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think it’s pretty clear the Andy King criticism came from him and if he really did push names like Daniel Ayala to Pearson on Sunday and started lecturing him on holidays given to players in international breaks as those who correctly told us what would happen well over a week ago have suggested then the bloke is a weapons grade **** who isn’t up to the job he’s been appointed for. What reaction did he think he would get😂?

What we had on Sunday is a crayon pusher and an utterly incompetent and failed ex-manager telling an experienced bloke who knows what he’s doing how to do his job. That makes them a pair of cheeky ***** in my eyes.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I can’t see why anyone would have since he rejoined.  Implemented a successful player pathway, and generally at arms length from the first team operation. He seemed to be relishing it, and I suspect fans were happy to see this considering how his manager spell ended.

Now though, he’s seemingly the head footballing guy for the club so criticism is very much going to come his way, and if he’s meddling with first team matters, that’s absolutely staggering.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think it’s pretty clear the Andy King criticism came from him and if he really did push names like Daniel Ayala to Pearson on Sunday and started lecturing him on holidays given to players in international breaks as those who correctly told us what would happen well over a week ago have suggested then the bloke is a weapons grade **** who isn’t up to the job he’s been appointed for. What reaction did he think he would get😂?

What we had on Sunday is a crayon pusher and an utterly incompetent and failed ex-manager telling an experienced bloke who knows what he’s doing how to do his job. That makes them a pair of cheeky ***** in my eyes.

If it’s true then he has to go? JL being so absent won’t see the sneaky behaviour for what it is. Hopefully the scales have fallen from his eyes and he can now take appropriate action.

I appreciate others may feel different but for me there is a very simple ‘truth’ here. Successful organisations are open, inclusive and encourage criticism. They want to know what is wrong, they want to work with those who think differently because through new and different views they progress and improve. The board of Bristol City is not open, it does not want to hear criticism and is not prepared to learn. 
To criticise them puts a mark on your back. They are unprepared to be open but are now seeking to post rationalise a decision which has nothing what so ever to do with football but is all about the fragile egos of those who do not understand the sport. 
I am sorry to say this as broadly I have been a Steve supporter until now. But the board need to be gone. The decision about Pearson is wrong, but the more concerning fact is that it is merely a symptom of the total malaise at the club. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Capman said:

I appreciate others may feel different but for me there is a very simple ‘truth’ here. Successful organisations are open, inclusive and encourage criticism. They want to know what is wrong, they want to work with those who think differently because through new and different views they progress and improve. The board of Bristol City is not open, it does not want to hear criticism and is not prepared to learn. 
To criticise them puts a mark on your back. They are unprepared to be open but are now seeking to post rationalise a decision which has nothing what so ever to do with football but is all about the fragile egos of those who do not understand the sport. 
I am sorry to say this as broadly I have been a Steve supporter until now. But the board need to be gone. The decision about Pearson is wrong, but the more concerning fact is that it is merely a symptom of the total malaise at the club. 

they have put trust in the wrong people, over and over again. 
unfortunately for Nige he was allegedly not backed up by those in the football dept with the ear of the board, those who Nige would expect to have similar knowledge and away of thinking re football matters. 
the board isn’t aware of these shenanigans because they aren’t involved on a day to day basis, they have to look at themselves and who and what they have surrounded themselves with.

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Have to say, I’m finding this criticism of Tinnion rather odd.

For years he’s had nothing but praise on here, he’s a club legend and was a hero to many of us and been held in high regard. I’ve never seen a negative post about him I don’t think (except towards his time as manager).

I’ve never even heard of the “Wilson situation” until this week - and now suddenly everyone’s turned on him, it’s well known he’s a snake etc.

Just find it rather bizarre.

Open season.

SL and JL have rightly come in for some pelters, now its Tinnions turn based on innuendo and heresay.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Open season.

SL and JL have rightly come in for some pelters, now its Tinnions turn based on innuendo and heresay.

I think the main reason for all the speculation on here is the complete lack of communication from the board, if people below jl are not responsible for persons sacking then its nothing short of cowardice for jl to hide behind staff and not make a better statement/interview to explain the reasoning for this, otherwise this will roll on and the new manager is on a hiding to nothing.

Edit he just responded ;)

2nd edit not great response, needs a much more robust interview than that. 

Edited by Crackers Corner
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Shambles! Everyone is a mate! Kit Manager has a job for life too! Another ex player! Cannot knock what ex players did for the club but where else does this happen, leave them as the superb players they were?! 

Whilst I agree with the tenor of this entire thread, I feel a little more relaxed about the Kit Man having a job for life.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I think the main reason for all the speculation on here is the complete lack of communication from the board, if people below jl are not responsible for persons sacking then its nothing short of cowardice for jl to hide behind staff and not make a better statement/interview to explain the reasoning for this, otherwise this will roll on and the new manager is on a hiding to nothing.

Agreed.

SL and the two man board haven't managed this at all professionally.

3 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Whilst I agree with the tenor of this entire thread, I feel a little more relaxed about the Kit Man having a job for life.

Tea lady is next.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Meh said:

Personally I have long considered Brian Tinnion a brown noser but the problem is you call him out on X and you get all the “you’re a legend Tins” brigade all over you.

Great player but shit manager who should be out of football matters once a player gets promoted to the first team squad training.

I am sure his worshippers will be all over this - ready, steady, go 🙀

On its way to AG as we speak

brown nose.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1