IGNORED

Board interference

petehinton

Just now, ciderwithtommy said:

Can also confirm from people inside the club. Had hoped it was just nonsense. Is the agent the one who BT really doesn’t like to work with?

I don’t know if they get on with each other, but he’s been involved with city for a very long time, hasn’t always been a agent if that’s who you mean 

9 minutes ago, HibbsyBCFC said:

Completely agree. I also think SOD sounded miserable because he too had no respect for the hierarchy, so you could potentially add him to the Coppell/Cotterill/Pearson list - although that is just a gut feeling I had at the time. 

I am now simply left scratching my head at how our owner can be so tone deaf. Even then, I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, if his ego is big enough to name a stand after himself whilst still involved in the club?...

Yeah that last point has always made me uneasy and should of sent alarm bells ringing at the type of ego were dealing with. 

I mean can you imagine that happening at virtually any other club? An owner that has overseen nothing but pure mediocrity and at times failure in football terms, getting away with naming a stand after himself. Just bizarre. 

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Yep that’s him I would think. All I’ve heard is academy related as opposed to senior - was hoping his remit was kept there. 

Bit of power is dangerous.

1 minute ago, Henry said:

Danny Coles?

1 minute ago, Henry said:

Danny Coles?

No , I obviously can’t say who it is 

• Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Meh said:

Personally I have long considered Brian Tinnion a brown noser but the problem is you call him out on X and you get all the “you’re a legend Tins” brigade all over you.

Great player but shit manager who should be out of football matters once a player gets promoted to the first team squad training.

I am sure his worshippers will be all over this - ready, steady, go 🙀

Doing a pretty good jobs with the kids though. I suspect this is his level.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

It would all be relatable to how serious any illness was

If Nige isn't concerned etc yet the club were pushing it as a reason then 100% it is an issue

BUT, if there are genuine concerns then as the employer they should have a duty of care, I know where I would be if I was trying to push someone out of my business if they were unwell

But they could simply let his contract run its course and not renew, that would be acceptable. It happens with players. Thing is, leaving it until next summer then looking for a replacement wouldn't be best for Bristol City. 

If the club are not convinced Nigel is well enough for another 2 or 3 years, is it ok for them not to renew?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Tootle said:

Tinnion is also pretty thick

Glad someone said it. I’ve always had that impression. His spelling and grammar on twitter is absolutely horrendous.

Not particularly an issue on pure footballing matters, but he doesn’t strike me as someone who should be having much influence on the whole direction of the club.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Bit of power is dangerous.

No , I obviously can’t say who it is 

There are always two agents (and possibly others) who are very often at Academy games, both former players, Coles is one, and the others name escapes me, a former defender who only played a handful of games, come on people…..

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Glad someone said it. I’ve always had that impression. His spelling and grammar on twitter is absolutely horrendous.

Not particularly an issue on pure footballing matters, but he doesn’t strike me as someone who should be having much influence on the whole direction of the club.

With the greatest of respect, his spelling and grammar don’t affect his knowledge of football. Now whether he’s been moved up to a level that doesn’t suit him is another matter. 

For me he’s much more valuable running the academy, indeed I wonder if his promotions over the last few years have been due to him being linked elsewhere, and SL’s promoted him to keep him at the club.

I’m still seething about Nigel leaving, but am now concerned about who’ll be coming into replace him, and whether they’ll be getting a feee hand to do the job their way. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Doing a pretty good jobs with the kids though. I suspect this is his level.

Always been sceptical of that, have said on here before. Semenyo and Scott fell into our laps, with no scouting or connections/developments. I know that’s the two northern stars, but seemingly the two he gets lauded with credit for. Kelly was sold for huge cash largely down to his England appearances, as he was shunted out of position by LJ. 

HPC set up has helped with the integration between ages and first team. A large amount of recent academy success is down to the management of bringing them in to first team exposure at the right time, for the right players. Not just arranging them to go out on (numerous) loan. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

With the greatest of respect, his spelling and grammar don’t affect his knowledge of football. Now whether he’s been moved up to a level that doesn’t suit him is another matter. 

For me he’s much more valuable running the academy, indeed I wonder if his promotions over the last few years have been due to him being linked elsewhere, and SL’s promoted him to keep him at the club.

I’m still seething about Nigel leaving, but am now concerned about who’ll be coming into replace him, and whether they’ll be getting a feee hand to do the job their way. 

As I said, “not particularly an issue on pure footballing matters”.

This is what I have been alluding to. I have heard the same that allegedly not everyone is apparently happy for some time with a certain ex midfielder and manager. Takes a lot of credit when it’s others apparently doing the great work and was a key voice allegedly in wanting change! 2004….as I said many many weeks ago. Watch out over your shoulder! Wonder if Nige and Danny will go for a beer! Two ex PL managers with better history than anyone at the club! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Countryfile said:

There are always two agents (and possibly others) who are very often at Academy games, both former players, Coles is one, and the others name escapes me, a former defender who only played a handful of games, come on people…..

Clayton Fortune….

by no means looking to stir the pot- but those 2 (Coles and Fortune) are present at most academy games, and both have a “unimpressed” relationship with their former colleague/manager. 

I counter by saying there’s 3 sides to every story. 
Their side, the other side, and the truth. 

but none the less, it’s well known that SL doesn’t like being challenged. 

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, how many failed managers is it now plus sundry other employees who turned out to be useless - so many we've lost count.

And the one common denominator in all that time?

How can such a failed manager who brought us the Dinning days be running the football ops of a champ club! sorry it’s not right. Southampton have Jason Wilcox! From Man C! Ok light years from us I get that but there are so many good people out there who have good experience at other clubs. It’s so comfy down there! As I said Millen may as well turn up as CFO! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems to be growing clarity that on first team footballing matters, the board (to the extent we have one), had a choice between going with the views of Pearson or Tinnion and chose… Tinnion. In no footballing sense is that anything other than ludicrous, so must have come down to a smoke blowing contest, which Tinnion was always going to win comfortably.

No money to spend, followed by King vs youngsters, followed by let’s go into the free agent market, is making it increasingly seem as if we’re all stuck in some Truman Show-esque remake of W1A or The thick of it. If someone wrote it as a script it would be rejected for being too far fetched. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

How can such a failed manager who brought us the Dinning days be running the football ops of a champ club! sorry it’s not right. Southampton have Jason Wilcox! From Man C! Ok light years from us I get that but there are so many good people out there who have good experience at other clubs. It’s so comfy down there! As I said Millen may as well turn up as CFO! 

Here's a piece of an article on the difference between the Man Utd and Man City set ups:

Compare United with the high-grade operation run at City by the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, and his executives Ferran Soriano (chief executive) and Txiki Begiristain (sporting director) and you see clear lines of expert leadership at the Etihad Stadium – precisely what Guardiola spoke of after winning the 191st derby on Sunday.

“We are in the same direction, chairman, CEO, sport director, manager and the players,” he said. “Wrong or right, we go there. We make mistakes of course but when we lose or things are not going well we are not here to blame someone, we just see what we have to do to be better.

Note the phrase expert leadership - not something we can claim, though Steve no doubt thinks he is an expert.

You don't have to be a football genius to understand that this is the way to run a club at any level. Instead we have Daddy's boy as Chairman, decided a CEO isn't needed and have a technical director who appears to be pursuing his own agenda.

Piss up and brewery comes to mind.😠

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/30/erik-ten-hag-is-at-the-steering-wheel-of-a-directionless-manchester-united

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Here's a piece of an article on the difference between the Man Utd and Man City set ups:

Compare United with the high-grade operation run at City by the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, and his executives Ferran Soriano (chief executive) and Txiki Begiristain (sporting director) and you see clear lines of expert leadership at the Etihad Stadium – precisely what Guardiola spoke of after winning the 191st derby on Sunday.

“We are in the same direction, chairman, CEO, sport director, manager and the players,” he said. “Wrong or right, we go there. We make mistakes of course but when we lose or things are not going well we are not here to blame someone, we just see what we have to do to be better.

Note the phrase expert leadership - not something we can claim, though Steve no doubt thinks he is an expert.

You don't have to be a football genius to understand that this is the way to run a club at any level. Instead we have Daddy's boy as Chairman, decided a CEO isn't needed and have a technical director who appears to be pursuing his own agenda.

Piss up and brewery comes to mind.😠

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/30/erik-ten-hag-is-at-the-steering-wheel-of-a-directionless-manchester-united

Shambles! Everyone is a mate! Kit Manager has a job for life too! Another ex player! Cannot knock what ex players did for the club but where else does this happen, leave them as the superb players they were?! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

9 hours ago, Glen hump said:

Been told by a few people who would definitely know that tinnion has a little bit to much of a voice at the club  and it’s not particularly helpful at times 

Have to say, I’m finding this criticism of Tinnion rather odd.

For years he’s had nothing but praise on here, he’s a club legend and was a hero to many of us and been held in high regard. I’ve never seen a negative post about him I don’t think (except towards his time as manager).

I’ve never even heard of the “Wilson situation” until this week - and now suddenly everyone’s turned on him, it’s well known he’s a snake etc.

Just find it rather bizarre.

• Like 4

Coppell

“At last” I thought at the time. A manager appointment that filled me with hope and excitement. They’ve finally gone and hired someone that’s going to take us somewhere.

Gone within a month!!! 

Writing was on the wall about the shower of shit we have at the helm of this club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But if they are concerned Nigel isn't well enough, then saying "we want to go in a different direction" is not honest, is it?

Is it legitimate for Bristol City to be concerned about Nige's health when weighing up the next two or three years?

I’d have probably respected them if they’d come out and said we’re worried about his health, and despite not coming to an agreement with NP we’ve decided it would be best for him to leave the club with immediate effect.

That is far better than blaming it on results after a run of games we probably didn’t expect to do much better than we actually did - and with 2 games against bottom 2 clubs that could make our league position and form look much better again before the next break.

• Like 1