IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We are back to the Swansea model.  And interesting that you mentioned Laudrup!

I have no probs with that at all.  As you say recruitment of players can be more efficient.  Getting the right manager in future (whether sacked or poached) shouldn’t be hard, it’s not like we are specifying a unique way of playing is it.

I’m as gutted as anyone Nige isn’t gonna be here to follow up on his foundation laying and strategy setting, but he’s left it in a good place for his replacement.

I’ve been crying out for a DOF type person to bridge the gap between manager and board for ages.  Not just reporting lines but role responsibilities too.  Much as Nige did more than just be the first team manager, he’s not one to get engrossed in recruitment or budgets so bringing in Tinnion was a good choice.  We had a gap.  That gap was weak and exploited during the Mark Ashton reign, and not just MA to blame.

It appeared we had the perfect set-up this time last year when Nige, Richard and Tins gave us a really good fans forum.  Tins had not been appointed at that point but someone asked a question on my behalf that with Richard having just announced he was going, would there be an opportunity to create a different structure.  And they answered that they would be looking for any opportunities to improve the setup.  A little while later Tins was promoted to Technical Director.

All seemed good.

So I think the structure is right.  It’s just we now need to wait and see how they perform, perform together.

As for not getting excited - it’s always hard when the outgoing manager was largely popular and a sacking felt harsh.  We had that with Cotts.  We didn’t have the set-up right for LJ…see above.

I made the mistake of not being excited by Gary Johnson.  My bias and comparison to other managers was that he’d find it hard to step up to our level and manage players with egos.  I was wrong.  I vowed to give every manager going forward tye benefit of doubt.

When a new manager is rumoured, you can frame any set of pros and cons to suit your argument, but none of us know how they will do.  Some click, some don’t.

Love michael laudrup playing videos, one of my all time favourites, incredible footballer,, one of my alltime other favourites is batistuta, now that would have been a combination to behold, luckily we have mehmeti and cornick to replicate them.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, City Rocker said:

If you were Mark Robins, would you quit Coventry City to join Bristol City?? 

I think there could be an arguement to be had that having spent 25 million in the summer, he may not be too far away from being sacked. Robins will be aware of this himself. 

So with that hanging over his head it could well be possible that he would jump ship before he's pushed. 

Personally it's not an appointment I'd want but potentially if Coventry were considering his future and if we were interested then considering he's on a 4 year contract, a deal may be there to be done with Coventry regarding compensation. 

Robins isn't stupid. He'll know his position is under threat. People talk within football. Pearson knew his was too. Hence why he tried to force the issue. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Then again, Pearson only had 32% as BCFC manager

That may be true. However, lets have some context with those Stats.

I won't go over the same facts that so many have posted on here since Sunday. However, you can't compare a 63 game ratio versus NP's ratio without acknowledging the sh!t show NP inherited. It's nothing short of brilliant work to get the 32% ratio under those circumstances. 

We will never know what that ratio would be looking like if he was allowed to have finished off the work that he had done to date i.e. at the end of a contract extension.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't believe it's Eustace.

Gonna be a long week ain't it!

The longer it goes on the more I'd side with it being a coach already in a job, given the process for looking for Nige's replacement started a couple of weeks ago. 

I'll stick my neck out and say they are waiting to see who applies and then pick one out of the hat

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think there could be an arguement to be had that having spent 25 million in the summer, he may not be too far away from being sacked. Robins will be aware of this himself. 

So with that hanging over his head it could well be possible that he would jump ship before he's pushed. 

Personally it's not an appointment I'd want but potentially if Coventry were considering his future and if we were interested then considering he's on a 4 year contract, a deal may be there to be done with Coventry regarding compensation. 

Robins isn't stupid. He'll know his position is under threat. People talk within football. Pearson knew his was too. Hence why he tried to force the issue. 

What concerns me with Robins is that he was doing well, then he had to sell some key assets but he's spent big, been backed and still doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of his team. 

We're obviously not going to be able to spend, if he were to join us it wouldn't be his team and so why would we do better under his appointment? 

I just don't see it, I think he, like many manager, has had a good spell and like many managers has lost key assets. Unlike Pearson he's been able to recruit players with better finances but has failed to bring in quality players. Pearson on the other hand recruited amazingly well on a shoe string budget, despite having our best player sold for a massive fee. 

I just feel we need someone like Nige, someone who can get the team playing well but is also shrewd when it comes to selling and buying. I don't think that's Robins, in fact I don't think that's any of the managers on the list and I honestly think we may bring in a new manager and really struggle. 

I honestly can't see whoever comes in keeping our playstyle in tact, buying and selling well and maintaining what Pearson has put in place. I think the next appointment won't last more than a year. 

7 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I had hope that they’d finally realised they needed someone who knows the game, will speak his mind and is clearly not a yes man.  They clearly couldn’t deal with it and I can’t see them risking that again.

Clueless tossers

This reminds me of a place where I used to work. Owner was overall pretty clueless but the business was making decent money (it really could and should have been a hell of a lot more). The owner then wants to make more profit, so all the management come up with ideas, R&D, more streamlined production planning, nope they don't like any of it. Next bright idea, get some consultants in for some ideas.... They go through all the processes and staff, want to change the way the business is currently working. Owner doesn't like the consultants now, they say too much and basically criticise how the business currently runs. So after spending tens of thousands for some new, bright ideas the owner is back to square one where the only way forward is "I know more than them and we will do it my my way".

The attitude just reminds me so much of Lansdown and this club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

This reminds me of a place where I used to work. Owner was overall pretty clueless but the business was making decent money (it really could and should have been a hell of a lot more). The owner then wants to make more profit, so all the management come up with ideas, R&D, more streamlined production planning, nope they don't like any of it. Next bright idea, get some consultants in for some ideas.... They go through all the processes and staff, want to change the way the business is currently working. Owner doesn't like the consultants now, they say too much and basically criticise how the business currently runs. So after spending tens of thousands for some new, bright ideas the owner is back to square one where the only way forward is "I know more than them and we will do it my my way".

It was like that at Monsoon/Accessorize. Soul destroying for those trying to initiate and innovate. Same old, same old.

4 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I work in the public sector and see this all the time. Management consultants come in and write a report which usually is just a summary of what everyone already knows. Then they suggest changes which invariably aren't based on analysis, just their views. Then it gets ignored. Total waste of time and money.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I work in the public sector and see this all the time. Management consultants come in and write a report which usually is just a summary of what everyone already knows. Then they suggest changes which invariably aren't based on analysis, just their views. Then it gets ignored. Total waste of time and money.

Ronnie Flanagan, former head of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (as was).

”Consultants come in, steal your watch, then tell you the time”.

One of the wisest quotes I have ever heard about work.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We are back to the Swansea model.  And ( that you mentioned Laudrup!

I have no probs with that at all.  As you say recruitment of players can be more efficient.  Getting the right manager in future (whether sacked or poached) shouldn’t be hard, it’s not like we are specifying a unique way of playing is it.

I’m as gutted as anyone Nige isn’t gonna be here to follow up on his foundation laying and strategy setting, but he’s left it in a good place for his replacement.

I’ve been crying out for a DOF type person to bridge the gap between manager and board for ages.  Not just reporting lines but role responsibilities too.  Much as Nige did more than just be the first team manager, he’s not one to get engrossed in recruitment or budgets so bringing in Tinnion was a good choice.  We had a gap.  That gap was weak and exploited during the Mark Ashton reign, and not just MA to blame.

It appeared we had the perfect set-up this time last year when Nige, Richard and Tins gave us a really good fans forum.  Tins had not been appointed at that point but someone asked a question on my behalf that with Richard having just announced he was going, would there be an opportunity to create a different structure.  And they answered that they would be looking for any opportunities to improve the setup.  A little while later Tins was promoted to Technical Director.

All seemed good.

So I think the structure is right.  It’s just we now need to wait and see how they perform, perform together.

As for not getting excited - it’s always hard when the outgoing manager was largely popular and a sacking felt harsh.  We had that with Cotts.  We didn’t have the set-up right for LJ…see above.

I made the mistake of not being excited by Gary Johnson.  My bias and comparison to other managers was that he’d find it hard to step up to our level and manage players with egos.  I was wrong.  I vowed to give every manager going forward tye benefit of doubt.

When a new manager is rumoured, you can frame any set of pros and cons to suit your argument, but none of us know how they will do.  Some click, some don’t.

As always, I agree with the vast majority of what you say Dave.

But...I think with the previous guys you quoted, for varying reasons, most fans, at the time felt these decisions were on balance, at least valid, at the time. I don't always think the appointments have been right in the past, but generally still had a positive feeling about them as it was a "fresh start", new broom and all that. 

This time because NP's tenure has ended prematurely - he was absolutely set up to fail his employers vision of success (promotion!? none the less) and we all think we know why.

It's difficult to get excited, nothing to do with the new HC, just that he will be one disagreement with SL away from funds being withdrawn, and silence from the club again. That, I'm afraid is just a feeling I haven't really felt before when were recruting. 

Oh, I am quite happy to try a new approach by the way, so its not just a better the devil thing, I could even see some of the ideas Benny L had were very interesting! (Yes, I've been a season "ticket" holder that long! ) 😄 

I hope by Saturday I'll have a bit more of a feel good vibe, but I'll still join in with any NP and critical SL chants!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

We need a consistent identity and a way of 0laying and recruit around it. This is what progressive teams like Brighton and Brentford are doing.  Otherwise, every time we get a manager he had to buy a new team of ',his' players that can play to his system and we are left with a bloated squad of players from the last manager that this one doesn't want.

This is spot on. Hopefully we’ve learned our lesson….

Imagine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

This goes to the very point of good management. Speak to those lowest in the organisation as such and find out what they really think. Don’t send them questionnaires that they won’t complete, actually get out there and talk to them, bond with them. In the case of a football club, it would include the players, particularly the young players. Imbue trust in people by getting them to feel part of what’s going on. Include all elements of the business - for City that includes both the men’s and women’s teams.

The reality is that from all that we have heard through various routes this is what Nige was really good at doing. Hence why he was so well liked and respected by those working with and for him. But unfortunately for him, he was too good, too honest and ultimately too powerful for an ownership that is remote and not open to criticism. So the answer was “get rid”. And it’s why we are looking for a Head Coach again and not a manager. The owners don’t want anyone having that much power again as that would be a threat to their way of doing things. Which in the case of running a football club is doing it badly!

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

What concerns me with Robins is that he was doing well, then he had to sell some key assets but he's spent big, been backed and still doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of his team. 

We're obviously not going to be able to spend, if he were to join us it wouldn't be his team and so why would we do better under his appointment? 

I just don't see it, I think he, like many manager, has had a good spell and like many managers has lost key assets. Unlike Pearson he's been able to recruit players with better finances but has failed to bring in quality players. Pearson on the other hand recruited amazingly well on a shoe string budget, despite having our best player sold for a massive fee. 

I just feel we need someone like Nige, someone who can get the team playing well but is also shrewd when it comes to selling and buying. I don't think that's Robins, in fact I don't think that's any of the managers on the list and I honestly think we may bring in a new manager and really struggle. 

I honestly can't see whoever comes in keeping our playstyle in tact, buying and selling well and maintaining what Pearson has put in place. I think the next appointment won't last more than a year. 

Having watched a fair amount of Cov, the triad of Hamer - O'Hare - Gyokeres ran the show a lot of the the time for them, and unsurprisingly so, I guess. They coped admirably well without one of the three when injured/out of form etc, but the replacements they have, whilst being expensive have not necessarily been of the requisite quality to replace what was lost (albeit O'Hare is on the way back now from his knee). So yes, a failure in recruitment from Robins/Cov, and with McFadzean not getting any younger, and other perfectly serviceable but not stellar Championship players such as Godden & Jay, dare I say Kasey as well, I can't see Cov hitting the heights of last season, or anywhere near.

Really interesting what they said on Sky on Monday night, about the 1 standing/coaching in the technical area, having disproportionately hit Cov. Viveash is a massive 'character' and a real bawler, and it seems to have neutered Cov/Robins with him being forced to take a back seat, quite literally.

So, all in all, would I be excited about Robins heading here...I wouldn't be devastated, but it seems like a side-ways move, and just got that nagging feeling that we should have just kept Nige, for all the expense/time/resource involved in the 'great reset' which really might not be that great after-all.

24 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Yep, sounds about right there TR and as we all know, SL is never wrong ….. in his own head anyway!

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I don't agree with Pearson's sacking but 8 do believe this is the correct model for running the football club.   We need a consistent identity and a way of 0laying and recruit around it. This is what progressive teams like Brighton and Brentford are doing.  Otherwise, every time we get a manager he had to buy a new team of ',his' players that can play to his system and we are left with a bloated squad of players from the last manager that this one doesn't want.  You also need to have a succession plan for when your coach leaves because he is successful - like Graham Potter.

However, to implement that model you need a club that has reached a certain level of maturity in its operation and culture, which Pearson is still implementing.  And you shouldn't change the medical team when a manager leaves, especially in the midst of an injury crisis.  ( I appreciate Dave Rennie may have decided to leave as his friend was sacked, but that just goes to show that it was not the right decision to sack Pearson and it's deemed as unjustified by so many).

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Disagree, i would have thought that having a playing culture from the top down is a good thing if you then recruit for that culture? Liverpool do it with their press and fast attack, man city have their possession and tactical flexibility, swansea have done it for years, and clubs all over the world do it too. Luton wouldn’t have a highly physical playing style then recruit someone like Michael laudrup as manager when he was a much better match for the type of football swansea were looking to play when he joined them. The fact it took the lansdowns 20 odd years to figure this out is what the problem is!

Got to say that I think these two posts really hit the nail on the head in terms of where we are as a club. Spot on.

But I’m not sure it’s taken 20 years to figure it out - I think it’s taken that long to figure out how to do it! And even now it remains to be see whether they have.

They’ve talked along these lines in the past. But their concept of that consistency doesn’t ever seem to extend beyond an internal appointment. And for whatever reason those have been consistent only in how disastrous they’ve been. What Swansea, Brentford, Brighton do well is to identify external candidates who have the same culture and skills to implement it. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think Coventry will come good, at the moment there just not taking there chances, watched them against us then WBA they should of been 3-0 up at half time in both games, they play great football and press, I’d take Robins if the became available!! 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Andy King I reckon will be Assistant Coach, with Eustace (or similar) as Head Coach. The King appointment would tick many boxes, including 'reaching out' to the many Pearson lovers.

I was thinking something similar watching the latest Robins Uncut video.  Seemed to be a subtle focus on him imparting wisdom onto some of the younger squad members.

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Andy King I reckon will be Assistant Coach, with Eustace (or similar) as Head Coach. The King appointment would tick many boxes, including 'reaching out' to the many Pearson lovers.

Yep, or keeping Curtis on in that role.

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Disagree, i would have thought that having a playing culture from the top down is a good thing if you then recruit for that culture? Liverpool do it with their press and fast attack, man city have their possession and tactical flexibility, swansea have done it for years, and clubs all over the world do it too. Luton wouldn’t have a highly physical playing style then recruit someone like Michael laudrup as manager when he was a much better match for the type of football swansea were looking to play when he joined them. The fact it took the lansdowns 20 odd years to figure this out is what the problem is!

Players to the suit the system, not the other way around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Let's face it.

Whoever it is and whoever the assistant or coaching team is. It will polarise the fanbase. The main reason being there are no standout candidates apart from NP and they and he would never have that.

And so, my long suffering fellow City fans. We will ultimately, accept whoever the new incumbents are and get behind the team. It's what we do and I can't see that changing unless the hierarchy go full Nuclear and make a Pulis type of appointment. 

11 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Alternatively Andy will be seen as Nigel's man so will have a target on his back.

After all the hierarchy didn't like him being selected by Nigel so when we have a head coach who will do as he is told by Tinnion Andy may not get much game time.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Alternatively Andy will be seen as Nigel's man so will have a target on his back.

After all the hierarchy didn't like him being selected by Nigel so when we have a head coach who will do as he is told by Tinnion Andy may not get much game time.

What if Pearson told King that he couldn't start his coaching career in a better place, boyhood club in an area he knows well with good facilities?

Found this on other fora; 

Sacked for taking us from relegation to playoffs, but not being a big enough name. Good guy, deserves an appreciative owner. Brum fans loved him, Rooney won't last till Xmas at this rate....

Pleased for him, deserves another shot after his treatment at Blues. Good luck, except when he visits St Andrews...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We are back to the Swansea model.  And interesting that you mentioned Laudrup!

All seemed good.

Agree with 95% of your post.

GJ was ok with third and fourth division players but as soon those who had played at Championship and above, including internationals, arrived he was sadly lacking. Bullying that level of player is not the way to get best out of them and so it was a slow downhill slide after losing to Hull. If we'd gone up it would have been a very rapid decline!

• Hmmm 1