IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

13 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I'm waiting for this thread to get to 100 pages and then as per usual end up to be complete nonsense 

Could be a while yet, no one has mentioned Brexit, Immigration or "Wokeism"* yet........ 

*Well I just have, but I think I will get away with it. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TDarwall said:

I know the stories about transfer disagreements but I'm not sure that's the whole story.  

I was massively excited about the Coppell appointment, but right from the start, something didn't seem right, he never really seemed up for it. The fact that (as far as I'm aware) he's never managed since, suggests to me that whilst falling out with SL may have been a contributory factor, in truth, Coppell fall out of love with the managerial lark.

Everyone at the club and all the fans were badly let down by Coppell

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think what's changed was that the succession plan that had been talked about when NP first got involved, changed on his side from "and then I will find you a new man" to "actually I think I would like to stay and see this through". 

My only evidence of that is memories of early interviews where he talked more like a external consultant than a permanent manager, that has changed radically this summer and this season.

I can see why, we have had many a player that has come to this part of the world and had to be crowbarred out again because it's such a "nice" environment in and out of the club, so why would that be any different for a Manager especially one who is getting towards the end of his career?

He has to my mind performed the radical overhaul of the backroom and "culture" that I hoped that Managers as far back as Gary Johnson would do, but I think that the skill set for that type of work is quite different from those needed working with the team on a day to day footing. 

He has said himself that he doesn't do much on that side, so maybe the club felt his work was done, he did what we needed and now it was time to move to the succession part of the plan that Nigel was supposed to do?

To not give him the chance after all the good work he’s done is a bit harsh. Whether it’s the right decision will depend on who succeeds him and how successful they are. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I clearly missed that bit and (unusually for me) really don't want to go looking.

So, I apologise to you without reservation and given the context of your own family situation I completely understand how your original comment was genuinely well meant.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Could be a while yet, no one has mentioned Brexit, Immigration or "Wokeism"* yet........ 

Although I voted for Brexit I am now concerned it might cost us a big name manager. I was told that Simone was keen to move to Ashton Gate, but dropped out fearing that due to brexit he wouldn't be able to get his favourite Pasta in his local supermarket.

• Haha 1

Coppell is an interesting one and has been used on occasions to give SL a harsh beating by some.   I think in this instance Coppell's heart wasn't really in the job.  If I recollect correctly he went off to Thailand pre-season when you'd expect him to be excited and preparing for the new season.  He seemed a very private individual and worked well when he had an extrovert assistant.  I think he just decided that for whatever reason (private life, a dislike of the pressurised limelight or other reasons) being a football manager was too much for him. 

There are always things we don't know and, in that context and the current one,  maybe we have to cut the owners some slack and hold back on vitriol.  I will say they haven't helped themselves with the dire communication and, in fairness, JL acknowledged that and pledged to improve it.   

I thought JL did his best interview since being Chairman in a relaxed setting with an amiable interviewer.  it's not always the Jeremy Paxman's who elicit the best answers.  I always felt David Frost got more from politicians with a bit of charm than the Rotweiller style of interview.  Also we as fans can't have it both ways - criticising the lack of information and then when the media-shy JL gives a 50-minute interview he still gets savaged.

It looks like it won't be Frank Lampard but, listening to his interview, I was impressed with him as a person and I reckon he might be a good fit in our set-up.  He's got a point to prove and he'd be driven for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Thank you for providing something that has no context 👌

Everton and Chelsea were of course both basket cases. 

Things haven't really improved much at either since he left have they? 

Frank wouldn't have to deal with the issue of leaving 18 players out of a match day squad here. He wouldn't need to rebuild a team. He wouldn't need time to input his tactics and culture to the team.

It's all already there for him. I don't think he's ever really had that in his management career. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I’m not sure Coppell “bottled it”. I’d say he saw through it.

Saw through the BS - not Bristol Sport - the bullshit. The Lansdown bullshit.

Even then the ****** was dabbling in things beyond his remit. 

And so it continued. Until now.

The sooner the Lansdowns have their return on their investment - as that was all it ever was - the better.

Might well have an all singing all dancing stadium that’s fit for Take ******* That, but I don’t see any actual footballing success during his reign.

Excellent post Big Al-

The sorry tale of Coppell came to mind yesterday & had the same train of thought -

Less "Coppout" & more-

A terrible moment of realisation & the confidence to walk away.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Look I dismissed it totally but have reason to believe he held talks so to say no interest I am not personally convinced. I think people should stay off forum speculation personally, I’m going to, nobody knows other than the board. What I will say is if Lampard was close the national media would be all over it, I’m a Londoner and I know a lot of national media people and nobody is jumping on Lampard when I’ve mentioned to them. But local Bristol people I know who have strong links on the very few things ive been told which have since happened are convinced he was met. But who knows! I am still thinking we will end up with a simply uninspiring appointment eg. Manning who has been mentioned for some time. I cannot see our Tech Director working with a big name, feeling is wants to call things! That ain’t gonna work with a well known football name. 

Yep, It would be likely that they have met, just away from AG or HPC.

These things are usually very "cloak and dagger" until something is signed.

FL may of course be a "stalking horse" candidate whose name has been put out by the club or at least encouraged, to distract attention away from real targets.

4 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Excellent post Big Al-

The sorry tale of Coppell came to mind yesterday & had the same train of thought -

Less "Coppout" & more-

A terrible moment of realisation & the confidence to walk away.

No it was nothing to do with the owners, all on Coppell, it was his mental health issues and said so, but that doesn't fit the current narrative really.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2

35 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I know the stories about transfer disagreements but I'm not sure that's the whole story.  

I was massively excited about the Coppell appointment, but right from the start, something didn't seem right, he never really seemed up for it. The fact that (as far as I'm aware) he's never managed since, suggests to me that whilst falling out with SL may have been a contributory factor, in truth, Coppell fall out of love with the managerial lark.

Spot on.

Said this before blindingly obvious that SL fell out with Cotts, but he got back on the horse & was managing Shrewsbury almost straight away.

Get the impression from Curtis’ press conference in the week that Nige doesn’t think this was his last job in football, either.

Coppell basically walked away from the English game, had a couple of brief spells managing in India but no desire to come back.

He is a very strange man (not going there with the personal life rumours) who did this before at Man City too, not sure I blame SL beyond not sensing his heart wasn’t in it when he didn’t take charge for the remainder of the previous season.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

How a simple rumour quickly becomes a “fact” known by all

IMG_5046.jpeg

Those most gullible in society are at highest risk.

Remember:

Hands: don't type bollocks online

Face: don't talk bollocks in person

Space: take a break from social media

Together we can stop the spread!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Love your responses, knowledge and passion but this is harsh. Our 1.2 (1.3 rounded) is this year ie year 3 of the “project”. And it does justify consideration. Haven’t checked but suspect home points per game this season is worse than the average - no club progresses without a home baseline.

Of course there were injuries/ no replacements etc but you are dismissing the fundamental issue - we simply weren’t getting the results our investment warrants.

Fwiw I didn’t want him sacked, but aside from a few games, we have been poor this season (more often than not) mostly in whole halves - see our stats about the number of times we score in both relative to others.

Disagree. What we are seeing on the pitch was a direct result of what our investment warranted. 

We lost our £25m lynchpin who broke lines fanatically from deep numerous times and replaced him with (no disrespect to TGH) a £900k replacement who a divisional rival didn't mind losing.

The way we've played this season in struggling to break teams down is directly a result of NP's 'without Scott' plan being rescinded by upper management and nothing spent. Apparently the latter disagreed with further recruitment. 

Stupid but here we are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Happy to oblige ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

37 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Think the Marriott on college greens a favourite meeting place.

Yes. That was until they filled it with immigrants 

Boom boom …..

• Haha 1