IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Maybe it was just high profile transfers that made them so optimistic. I have no idea who they have signed apart from a player caled Mark Harris. Just got the general consensus that they should be up there from every Oxford fan I've spoken to. Feel free to correct me on that, was just talking from an outside view of following them.

I don't have anything against Liam Manning - but in all honesty I know barely anything about him. Didn't we recently thrash Oxford?!

Good luck to him if it is him but how that is an upgrade on Pearson? - we'll all need some convincing. I don't look for 'big names' or 'marquee signings' - but I do tend to think that experience of achieving what is required is useful...Manning has a play-off on CV...but it's a big step up.

Couldn't remotely be described as an 'exciting' appointment at this point in time.

• Like 9
  • Flames 4

On 04/11/2023 at 18:07, LondonBristolian said:

Much as I wish Pearson had not been sacked, I could not give a flying **** whether the new manager is an “inspiring” appointment or not.

I don’t want an “inspiring” appointment. I want a good one. The two best appointments over the last twenty years - Johnson and Cotterill - weren’t inspiring in the least but they did the bloody job.

Whoever gets it - whether that be Manning or someone else - will be judged by me on their results, not how “inspiring” the appointment is.

Bump

32 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Quite simple. Young head coach who comes into fitting the system without rocking the boat. Another “head coach” who does not yet qualify to manage a championship club who apparently are chasing promotion.

Please tell me how this is an upgrade on Pearson? Because it isn’t

I didn’t say it was an upgrade on pearson, but it’s just lazy to say it’s Lee Johnson all over again. two different managers with two different ways of playing. You are supposed to be the coach I would’ve thought you would know this already

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't have anything against Liam Manning - but in all honesty I know barely anything about him. Didn't we recently thrash Oxford?!

Good luck to him if it is him but how that is an upgrade on Pearson? - we'll all need some convincing. I don't look for 'big names' or 'marquee signings' - but I do tend to think that experience of achieving what is required is useful...Manning has a play-off on CV...but it's a big step up.

Couldn't remotely be described as an 'exciting' appointment at this point in time.

This..

The more I read the more depressing the whole situation is and the ridiculous decision to sack Nige becomes more and more ******* stupid!

Anyone like this and the owner (who I have fully supported, and thanked him to his face) deserves all the stick coming his way.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

24 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Having moved to Oxford last year and having lots of Oxford supporting friends, I have followed them from the distance. The consensus from my freinds pre season was that they have spent a lot of money and would be promotion contenders. Started off slow and now where they should be with their financial impact. Haven't actually watched them yet so no idea on their style, however a few friends have said they have been extremely lucky to win numerous games. Apparently Rovers battered them but still managed to lose🤣 

According to transfermarkt they haven’t spent a penny on a player for the last 4 windows 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

That game was very much oxford could of scored 3 or 4 in first half but we took our chances second half wasn't it ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, One Team said:

Which is why is feels completely believable. Pearson to Manning, **** me, about as disappointing and underwhelming as you can get. 

Pearson to 'anyone' will never be any good for many on here. 

Yes, I appreciate the disappointment of Pearson going, but you need to accept that he's gone and instead of dissing every new manager suggestion, try and come up with something a little bit more positive - and perhaps a name that you would like.

• Haha 2

If his odds shorten from 5/2 with SkyBet, I am to blame. I had £10 on Lampard at 16/1 earlier in the week and also have had £5 Curtis Flemming at 20/1 and £5 Danny Cowley @ 33/1. So to have some coverage, I've just had £25 on Manning at 5/2. See if my £25 can move the market further.

FWIW, I don't think Manning will leave Oxford for us, and if a deal had been done, I would have thought there would have been a leak of some sort Oxford's end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still have the view of an underwhelming appointment, however there isn't many who excites! Lampard only excites for the potential players he could advertise / the TV coverage we would get. Apart from that, I cant say I've been excited by any names (maybe excluding Will Still) as it seems like groundhog day... I was underwhelmed by Cotts so I'm not going to riot or fantasise as there are too many variables the average fan doesn't understand.

Edited by CiderHeadDan

Just now, robinforlife2 said:

If his odds shorten from 5/2 with SkyBet, I am to blame. I had £10 on Lampard at 16/1 earlier in the week and also have had £5 Curtis Flemming at 20/1 and £5 Danny Cowley @ 33/1. So to have some coverage, I've just had £25 on Manning at 5/2. See if my £25 can move the market further.

FWIW, I don't think Manning will leave Oxford for us, and if a deal had been done, I would have thought there would have been a leak of some sort Oxford's end. 

Agree re Manning as whoever comes in, will also be bringing in their own back room team too….often, these are the same people they are currently working with - rumours would surely have been out there by now if we were about to poach Manning and some of his back room staff 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

If you don’t think he’ll come why on earth have you put £25 on haha

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Yes, I appreciate the disappointment of Pearson going, but you need to accept that he's gone and instead of dissing every new manager suggestion, try and come up with something a little bit more positive - and perhaps a name that you would like.

Sorry Doctor....

Be more positive... mmmm

Oh yes... I'm absolutely positive you are a ****!!

That good enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agree re Manning as whoever comes in, will also be bringing in their own back room team too….often, these are the same people they are currently working with - rumours would surely have been out there by now if we were about to poach Manning and some of his back room staff 🤷‍♂️

Aren't you currently posting in a topic discussing that very rumour?

Know nothing about Manning but he seems to fit the bill of what the powers that be would like.

Doesn’t on paper seem like an upgrade on Pearson, all you can do is judge the new man on results.. who knows it could be an inspired appointment for once.

Edited by Bris Red

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

No, you are probably right in your first point. I’ve accepted he’s gone; along with thinking it’s yet another ridiculous decision from utter incompetence. 

Maybe Pearson will be back at some point, in the meantime someone with actual proven success at this level would be a start in terms of replacement. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If we had "done an Ipswich" & appointed Mckenna, a fair number of our supporters would have apparently been really disappointed & let down by the appointment.

Why are people so adamant about wanting a "big name" to justify it being positive..?

Any household ne manager is highly likely to have failed previously to be in an available position (Eustace could be deemed the exception)

Or, we go for someone who's doing well & making a name for themselves - unlikely to poach that from our level or certainly the level above - so a manager who's doing well at the level below us isn't "uninspiring" - although, of course, it is a gamble.

Without clubs taking those gambles, new big names & success stories don't happen & they soon become out of our reach for their next move.

Of course, I fully understand that we have tried that route before & failed - Mcinnes, Tinnion, Holden etc...

But GJ did well & Wilson & SOD (arguably "bigger" names didn't achieve anything.

So - simply put, it's daft to discount an up & coming manager - but obviously comes with risk aswell.

Let's face it - most managerial appointments don't lead to any great level of success.

Notably, Pearson's didn't..! A good enough job steadying the ship - but hasn't moved us on a great deal, results wise.

Can another manager/coach get more from our current squad.? Who knows - but we are going to find out over then next 18 months or so - whether they are established, or up & coming really doesn't make much difference to how they are going to impact us.

Who is asking for a big name ?

The only big name has been Lampard and that hasn't exactly been met with enthusiasm.

I think what people are asking for is what they said they would deliver - inspiring, exciting, etc etc.

So, a head coach with a CV which includes some successes at a decent level.

If they get rid of such a manager/coach, they need to replace him with at least his equal. Someone inspiring, exciting, etc etc.

• Flames 3

23 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I don't even remember Tinnion or anyone saying the words "inspiring" or "exciting" appointment. Where's that come from?

I've got nothing against Manning coming in if it is him and i'm pretty sure this is the type of appointment the hierarchy want.

Just would prefer something a bit different like a foreign coach to come in.

You've either not got a good memory or just haven't seen interviews or twitter.

Edited by bcfc01

1 minute ago, Johnr1986 said:

If it is Manning  it’s really uninspiring appointment, always feels like lansdown is trying to copy other clubs, rather than actually sourcing the right man for our club,  would of taken Lampard , Jones, Beadle all over Manning personally 

Yep, it shows that they couldn’t handle Pearson and just want another “yes” man