IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Bit I don’t understand is. If what Manning says last night no contact, then last night we would have had to negotiate a buy out figure for him, him to then agree to sign for us all before last nights rumours that an announcement was tomorrow. 
Timing don’t seem right. 
I know he may have been lying, but someone would have leaked it by now. 

Agree, if it’s him would have been noise Oxford end of him talking to us or we’ve agreed a compensation figure with them. There is absolute radio silence which suggests whoever it is , is currently not in a role , whether they be English or foreign 

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Who’s got a problem with the new coach having fitter players, I certainly haven’t!

The whole point I’m making is, Pearson would also have enjoyed those same benefits, but wasn’t given that opportunity.  Don’t forget, this was supposed to be his first proper season with his own squad, but it’s been ravaged by injuries.

We’ll now probably be heading into the unknown again, with the new HC inheriting someone else’s squad, so would you bet against yet another rebuild looming??

Well exactly.

NP would have also benefited from these 2 games, Sheffield Wednesday at home and QPR away. 4-6 pts quite likely, international break coming up likely players return and more time to do so.

They pulled the rug just in time, at perhaps his weakest point of the season when injuries imposed huge problems.

• Like 16
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well exactly.

NP would have also benefited from these 2 games, Sheffield Wednesday at home and QPR away. 4-6 pts quite likely, international break coming up likely players return and more time to do so.

They pulled the rug just in time, at perhaps his weakest point of the season when injuries imposed huge problems.

Absolutely Mr Pop and I suspect many of us are thinking the same thing regarding the reasons for the timing of this sacking.

I’ve also got a feeling that we’re going to find ourselves in a similar divided position as we had about LJ.

Any upturn in form due to returning players will probably be seized on by people who were not particularly keen on NP, or still supporting the actions of the Lansdowns as vindication for the sacking.  

Hopefully this won’t signal a new line in conflict🤞

• Like 2

I have already stated that I don't give a flying **** who it is, and the reasons for that.

But if the Lansdowns are reading this, I bet that they are ****ing themselves silly. 

"Ooh... they don't know who it is! And we do!".

Grasping every morsel of power over the fanbase that they can. 

Glad that I am finished with them.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I said, I’m not going to judge the manager on this. The manager is being expected to come in to THIS squad and get them to the top end. I keep putting THIS squad in capitals because this is what has been stated, quite clearly, that they both believe this is the best squad in years and should be at the top end, playing the way we play “throughout the club”. So the new boss has to work with what he’s got, within the parameters set and get us to the “top end”. 
I’ll be judging Jon & Brian on this, as the philosophy is now theirs to own and the next appointment will be theirs to own. 

Absolutely and by their own logic the new head coach should be sacked if he doesn't achieve that.

They really haven't thought this through, which surprises me not a bit.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Perhaps, but coming to terms with something they would have preferred to turn out differently & then being deliberately dim/obtuse are 2 totally different things.

To claim the expectations of NP before the season started & whoever the new bloke is, with a third of the season gone & starting with already having to make up the defecit of NP's tenure, is just being ridiculous.

NP has gone. His record here was poor-just about average.

Our home form throughout his tenure has been pretty abysmal.

The timing (injuries) made the decision surprising - but that doesn't gloss over the fact that we have hardly progressed in his 2.5 years in charge. 

Speechless.

For those who think things won’t happen fast because he’s in a job, it’s similar to transfers. Everything will be basically agreed via representatives then will be down to the ‘formal permission’ and ‘approach’ that will sound like the first step, but is one of the last. Him saying he’s had no contact or approach was deliberate imo, he won’t have had contact or approach, his agent(s) will have and the discussion would be done through them. 

I’ve no idea if it’s him or not, but certainly wouldn’t rule something being done very very fast still if it was. Alex Neil was appointed Stoke manager with pre recorded media & all the morning after the ‘approach’ from Sunderland, and IIRC that wasn’t exactly very first in the day too. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Absolutely and by their own logic the new head coach should be sacked if he doesn't achieve that.

They really haven't thought this through, which surprises me not a bit.

Exactly. By their logic he should be sacked if he doesn’t gain promotion. 
My logic is, it won’t be the manager who should carry the can. It’s the people who chose that manager and expect him to play a specific way. 

• Like 4

As I’ve said before - if I were to ask Manning to be my manager, I would need to furnish him, at minimum, with a creative number 10, a tempo-controlling number 6 and a possession heavy number 8, and an attack minded right back. 
I wouldn’t expect Manning to come in and get this current squad playing the way he wants. Unless he’s a miracle coach. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some people are still disappointed at the way Nige was canned and will be for a while yet I suspect. That is more aimed at the Upstairs Mob than the new Manager I would suggest. If Liam Manning comes in and wins ten in a row then brilliant, if he comes in and earns 1.5 points per game most will be happy, but it doesn't change how many people feel Nige was treated. I'm sure the majority of fans will cut the guy enough slack and not expect him to deliver the promotion that Lansdown and Tinnion seem to think is almost mandatory with our squad.....however I think those two might well be in the firing line when we come up short this season.....and to be honest, deservedly so too.

I understand the disappointment and I have stated countless times that I thought it was the wrong time to sack NP.

What I don't follow is the amount of people who consider that a new coach/manager should in some way not benefit from any uplift in support from the Lansdowns because it is unfair on NP or that it is in some way unfair to judge a new coach in comparison on the basis that he may benefit from returning players . 

It's like everything on OTIB at the club is all about Nigel Pearson and only Nigel Pearson- it's like a collective hysteria (imo). Over decades there has been differing financial support to different Managers. That's football and not peculiar to BCFC.

As for BT & JL- they have both said the aim is playoffs/promotion. Just like Nige has said since he joined. Yet this has been changed to BT/JL demands promotion or expects promotion this season. I can't find where they said the latter but changing a few words makes a great narrative . By all means find the quote where either categorically state that a demand has been made. It's pretty academic as only the deluded genuinely thought that promotion was/is a realistic possibility this season after the sale of our best and no real replacements. However, the majority of Championship clubs stated aim is the play offs/promotion. I'd love to see a Chairman of one of the clubs similar to us state that their aim was mid table irrespective of that likelyhood.

If Nige, for example, led us to 10th in the League this season and as expected didn't have his contract  renewed whilst the new guy leads us to 10th - what the hell is the difference ?

Wherever the new guy gets us will for many be the minimum of what NP would have achieved. There will be threads about his input and what we could have achieved with him for a generation and it's all just words.  

30 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Perspective - you need to put the 'sigh' in asterisks(,) otherwise you are just saying 'sigh'(,) rather than sighing. 

You're welcome.

Unnecessary use of commas. 4/10. See teacher.

• Haha 1

If it is to be Manning, then JL would not have done himself any favours by openly dismissing a list of names Manning is pretty high on. And it would make nonsense of Manning’s statement about not being aware of anything connecting him to the job. 

Or is this just how football is…all cloak and dagger and deliberate subterfuge?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I’ve said before - if I were to ask Manning to be my manager, I would need to furnish him, at minimum, with a creative number 10, a tempo-controlling number 6 and a possession heavy number 8, and an attack minded right back. 
I wouldn’t expect Manning to come in and get this current squad playing the way he wants. Unless he’s a miracle coach. 

Benarous is that 10, James the 6, McCrorie the Right back. I'm struggling for the 8.

Certainly don't have 2 for every position though, bearing in mind your earlier posts about the way Manning's teams have set up at MK and Ox.

Start by opening the nest egg and paying Burnley whatever it takes for Twine! His career's going nowhere there and Benarous won't be up to speed for a while.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

2 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

If it is to be Manning, then JL would not have done himself any favours by openly dismissing a list of names Manning is pretty high on. And it would make nonsense of Manning’s statement about not being aware of anything connecting him to the job. 

Or is this just how football is…all cloak and dagger and deliberate subterfuge?

Tbf I don’t think Manning was on the list at that time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Benarous is that 10, James the 6, McCrorie the Right back. I'm struggling for the 8.

Certainly don't have 2 for every position though, bearing in mind your earlier posts about the way Manning's teams have set up at MK and Ox.

Start by opening the nest egg and paying Burnley whatever it takes for Twine! His career's going nowhere there and Benarous won't be up to speed for a while.

Naismith or is he more conservative despite a strong range of passing. Perhaps not an 8..Naismith in midfield?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of Manning, I can't say I am especially enthused. Not his fault the circs he would be arriving in but he doesn't yet have a strong track record to speak of.

His record is very good for a young head coach, to be fair. Not likely to be heading to a top Prem team, obviously. Unless he does well with us (if he joins).

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

His record is very good for a young head coach, to be fair. Not likely to be heading to a top Prem team, obviously. Unless he does well with us (if he joins).

Some promise but query his readiness for a start.

Putting aside my views on NP and his staff, to justify such a decision you need to be replacing with someone as good as NP but perhaps younger, thinking of medium to long term or indeed someone who is better.

Manning fits neither criteria, if he wants a rebuild e.g. it is just a waste of time and money on top.

24 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

His record is very good?

He got sacked from Milton Keynes cos they were shite under him. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agree re Manning as whoever comes in, will also be bringing in their own back room team too….often, these are the same people they are currently working with - rumours would surely have been out there by now if we were about to poach Manning and some of his back room staff 🤷‍♂️

For info, this is Oxford’s set up:

IMG_8936.thumb.jpeg.084d715468920846f272f54daee48a9d.jpeg

Hogg followed Manning from MKD to Oxford.

• Like 1