IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just now, supercidered said:

A win record not in the Championship or any other comparable league.

We all know how savage the Championship is and that win record counts for F All. 

Dorking Wanderers manager/owner win record must be through the roof 10 odd promotions in 20 odd years, get him in. Win percentages not at the level mean jack-all.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Yeah, exactly. Everyone needs to start somewhere, right. What is the correct career path for a coach of Bristol City? Just someone on the Championship roundabout? A foreign manager with experience of lower leagues abroad? Someone already inside Bristol City coaching set up getting promoted? Or one of the most promising managers at the top of the league below?

Whatever people think about the appointment, this smacks of having a clear plan which has been a persistent critique of the leadership over the last week and bit. It's consistent with what they said they were looking for. 

Easy to mock appointing a lower league manager (if it happens) but I actually do think this is an exciting appointment very different for some of the appointments used as a reference point. Think this isn't a case of 'they don't know what they're doing' but suggests they know exactly what they're doing. Whether that clear plan proves correct, let's see. 

Hopefully everyone gets on board, because the strong platform Nige leaves behind will mean nothing if fans don't get behind appointment from beginning. I'm optimistic if this happens.

Hmmm but we have done this before, many times. It has always failed. They just fired all of the people who created the platform from Nige, so there is zero continuity. We have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. So if this smacks of having a clear plan, well great, it is the first time in 25 years the Lansdowns have had that, because all I have ever seen is a flip-flop from one plan to another, and a complete ignorance as to why any of those plans have never worked. The reason for that is it would require some extreme self-analysis, and that would highlight where the issues are at Bristol Cty. That you now have Jl and Tinnion inventing the latest strategy, tells me everything. Until we get rid of JL, all of his cronies, and create a world-class recruitment team, Bristol City is going nowhere fast. 

Manning could well be, after numerous attempts, the one that finally breaks the Lansdown duck of unproven managers having success, but there is a big difference to being an up-and-coming manager dropping into Brentford, Brighton or even Luton (latest obsession) and BCFC. It is the lack of understanding as to why that is the case that will hinder Manning. It is only when BCFC have had stronger character managers have the club has been able to create some success or stability. This is because they can resist the Lansdown-led nepotism and cronyism structure more. 

But as we have a a squad that is capable of promotion according to BT and JL, then Manning should be an odds-on success with better training, fitness and coaching. Good luck to him, and he will only get support from the fans. No one wants the club to fail. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd have Lampard all day long over a guy that got sacked by MK. 

Listening to this guy is just like listening to LJ all over again.

What has Lampard done thats impressive. I keep asking, but ive not got a proper answer other than a good start at chelsea.

There's so much snobbery on here over Manning.

His points per game over his career is about 1.62, a total that over a season would be about 50% chance of getting to the playoffs.

A near 50% win rate at all clubs he's managed.

He's not managed in the Championship? OK, he's 38 for ***** sake, are you expecting him to have just walked straight into a Championship or Premier league side as his first job? The ones that do that are the exceptions usually because they were a big name as a player (Lampard, Rooney) but neither of them have been particularly good as managers, and I'd far rather give Manning a try than either of those.

• Like 15

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this?

please ignore if you have, but I found it interesting.

He places an emphasis on practice being excellent every day. Those words will be a dream to our hierarchy 😅

Joking aside, he seems fairly similar to Nige with much of what he talks about.

Uninspired. 

I just can't get to grasps the reasoning to sack Pearson to employ a head coach from Oxford. 

So. Judging this season and the appointment fully on the Lansdowns and Tinnion. 

Top 6 it is. Team is good enough. Now we supposedly have a "coach" that will do what the experienced manager couldn't. 

• Like 4

Here’s a short video, with Manning discussing his coaching philosophy (in 2021). He stated that his coaching is underpinned by principles rather than systems. The most encouraging comment for me was that he tries to utilise a player’s strengths rather get them to adapt too much (I’m thinking of Mehmeti). 

Apologies if this has been posted previously. 

• Thanks 2

The consensus is underwhelming looking at the comments but I wonder if alot of this is bias as he is a not known name in the grand scheme of things. His methods, early career stats are encouraging and for all we know could come here and rip it up and we surprise a few.

I’m sure LM will get full support by the fans, he only applied for a job and by the looks of it is the successful candidate. The overarching worries about the club remain with the owners and decision to sack NP and anger is still plain to see (of which I am one).

Interesting times ahead on the rollercoaster of being a Bristol City Fan.

Many that disagree with Manning coming here are people who spouted the nonsense about wanting a “young progressive front footed manager/HC”.

Do some people genuinely expect us to take on a manager that hasn’t had any mistakes/slip-ups in his career? He’s been largely successful so far in his career. Worth a try imo and someone who clearly fits the mood we are looking for.

But no matter what it shouldn’t be his fault if we don’t get promoted/top 6, this is a manager we had to sign because of a Steve/JL decision and is most likely on BTs recommendation. All on them now, they’ve made their bed, lets see what happens.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

The consensus is underwhelming looking at the comments but I wonder if alot of this is bias as he is a not known name in the grand scheme of things. His methods, early career stats are encouraging and for all we know could come here and rip it up and we surprise a few.

I’m sure LM will get full support by the fans, he only applied for a job and by the looks of it is the successful candidate. The overarching worries about the club remain with the owners and decision to sack NP and anger is still plain to see (of which I am one).

So much of it is biases. 

There's an arrogance among the fanbase here

I'd also add that I'm not necessarily pro-Manning, I'm just not against his appointment.

I've a concern by the fact he is happy to leave clubs quite quickly if he feels there's an opportunity out there and how that could have a negative effect if/when he comes here.

Not just a manager leaving us in the lurch, but how do you convince a player to be a part of a project if you're someone who will happily abandon it yourself?

I don't think I'm pro- any particular name linked, but there are definitely some I'd be unhappy to see brought in, and most of those have managed in the Championship.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

It’s not the lack of big name for me, it’s lacking any experience at our level and having had no tangible success (I.e. promotions).

He has got a hell of a task. Needs to get promotion and win over a fan base who, in the main, didn’t want a change of a manager. Fair play to him if he can do that.

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3

See, I always thought players only had a left foot and right foot.

Are they evolving into having a back foot and front foot as well?

I am not too concerned about possession. 30% is often enough to score goals if you get the ball into space quickly.

We are not good at breaking teams down so that is possibly his first task, if confirmed.

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

It’s not the lack of big name for me, it’s lacking any experience at our level and having had no tangible success (I.e. promotions).

He has got a hell of a task. Needs to get promotion and win over a fan base who, in the main, didn’t want a change of a manager. Fair play to him if he can do that.

I assume he gets the sack if we don't get promoted though?

• Like 1