IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree we need Jon Lansdown to clarify that. He set the expectation so I would expect him to lay out the test of whether the manager he appointed succeeds or fails. Hopefully JL will update the fans in the coming weeks as to whether 7th is good enough or not.

7th -20th will be perfectly acceptable. I'm of the opinion Pearson was sacked because they don't like him not because of the team performance. 

I doubt Liam Manning will be under any immediate pressure to be challenging. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I make that my 23rd appointed full time, not caretaker/interim manager as an attending City fan.

If you started supporting City between Oct 1967 and September 1980 you’ll have the same number as me, such was the longevity of Alan Dicks.

The first man on that list took us to the top, good luck Liam, here’s hoping you become the next. 

23rd it is then. 
Apart from Dicks, two have stood out for me.

TC AND JJ

lets hope we have a LM in the future.

Edited by QuedgeRed
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that's my concern. 

If he doesn't start off well and the pressure is on in Jan, he'll recieve LJ levels of support because we have that "nest egg" 

If those players are on the level of LJ signings then we then have 2-3 years of trying to get rid of them and getting the squad back to the current shape it is in.

It’s all what ifs though that you’re worrying about . Why not wait & see before panicking . 

• Like 2

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's not weird. It's weird that you think it's weird. 

It's not comparing him to LJ, it's comparing a head coach appointment vs another head coach appointment. The head coach vanity project that has failed on multiple occasions. 

Maybe this time it will be different. History tells me it won't be tho.

It’s just a lazy comparison. They’ve had different career paths, learnt the trade in different ways. They are different people with different ideas. 
The set up of the club is totally different to when LJ was in charge as well. 

Just because their roles are the same, it doesn’t mean their approach to the job will.

Whether Manning succeeds or fails, it has nothing to do with LJ’s time at the club. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, QuedgeRed said:

23rd it is then. 
Apart from Dicks, two have stood out for me.

TC AND JJ

lets hope we have a LM in the future.

Yes those two stand out.

Thinking back to the day they were announced, I was thrilled when Coppell joined and underwhelmed when Cotterill joined, so no good asking me to predict what’s coming up! 

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

I make that my 23rd appointed full time, not caretaker/interim manager as an attending City fan.

If you started supporting City between Oct 1967 and September 1980 you’ll have the same number as me, such was the longevity of Alan Dicks.

The first man on that list took us to the top, good luck Liam, here’s hoping you become the next. 

Christ, hoping you succeed where 22 of your predecessors have fallen short ….. that puts  the size of the task facing our Liam into sharp perspective.

Best of luck mate, you’re likely going to need it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Betty Swallocks said:

It’s just a lazy comparison. They’ve had different career paths, learnt the trade in different ways. They are different people with different ideas. 
The set up of the club is totally different to when LJ was in charge as well. 

Just because their roles are the same, it doesn’t mean their approach to the job will.

Whether Manning succeeds or fails, it has nothing to do with LJ’s time at the club. 

You're the only one going into detail comparing the two.

My concern is how the club themselves approaches the head coach role.

I'm not sure if you've been living under a rock the past few weeks or so, but Brian Tinnion being in the structure with such power doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore.

• Like 3

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're the only one going into detail comparing the two.

My concern is how the club themselves approaches the head coach role.

I'm not sure if you've been living under a rock the past few weeks or so, but Brian Tinnion being in the structure with such power doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore.

I’m just highlighting why it’s ridiculous to bring up LJ in the first place. 

The fact that we have a recruitment team now is already an improvement on the LJ/MA era. I’m confident you won’t see BT running transfers like MA did. 

• Haha 1

I hope the digs about getting in the top 6 aren't a noose around this guy's neck. How many people realistically think whoever was appointed could get this team into the top 6.

Yes, we could maybe get close but i don't think we have anywhere near enough creativity and quality up front to threaten the top 6.

I do wish Liam all the best though and think he could be a good appointment in the longer term but not this season.

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I hope the digs about getting in the top 6 aren't a noose around this guy's neck. How many people realistically think whoever was appointed could get this team into the top 6.

Yes, we could maybe get close but i don't think we have anywhere near enough creativity and quality up front to threaten the top 6.

I do wish Liam all the best though and think he could be a good appointment in the longer term but not this season.

Unless he has a start like Benny, I’m sure fans will give him plenty of time. 

54 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Not so sure about that. I understand your reasons but I think most fans even those who didn’t want to see NP gone, will get on board and judge by what they see. If we get good results fans will be on board pretty quickly. 

Decent response JP and good to have another debate.

57 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You don't think it was like Goodfellows............he was taken somewhere and told he was the new boss, he went in the door and saw Manning, "oh shit".......KERBLOWEY !

Has anyone seen him since this morning?

It's important we put our feelings and thoughts of Nigel behind us. As he phrased it, this is our club.

What I will say is he has built a strong foundation for Liam to build off and I hope he's a success. Welcome Liam, you have my full support, regardless of my thoughts towards the Lansdowns. 

Depending on which side of the fence you're on -

He's either a young, upcoming and progressive modern coach.

Or a young, naive and inexperienced head coach, who can be manipulated by those above into being nothing more than a yes man because he's got a bigger job than he should have.

He may be a great success, but there's zero evidence for logical Footballing reasons, that this is a good decision and an adequate replacement. In all fairness though, it's not really a surprise when you've just sacked the individual with the most football knowledge at the Club. NP should've been moved upstairs whilst he sorts his health out and Manning should've come in with a contract to the end of the season, but it's fair to say that your owner wasn't capable of forging a relationship with NP in order to make this happen, as it would've been possible, as there's no way I see NP taking a job again this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1