IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

It's obviously possible he was informed on Saturday but some people made it sound like he was taken out to the bins and shot dead by Jon Lansdown with a pistol at close range.

Can’t say I’ve read that or seen it inferred, he was told on Saturday that he was being dismissed, the exact content of that conversation and the timescale for him leaving remains unknown to everyone except Curtis and whoever delivered it. What is known is that he new on Saturday night that he would be leaving.

Anyway the blood letting is over and we welcome the new head coach to the club, I doubt that any other coach has arrived at a club with the kind of expectation from any board that our new coach has.

I wonder what the cost has been to remove the four incumbents and recruit the two (at the moment) new people, circa £2M would be my guess.

9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You think? He sounded very confident, whereas JL always sounds absolutely petrified.

Maybe I've still got his voice in my head from that interview but his way of speaking is very similar.. If this doesn't work out he is going to sound even more petrified 😂 Let's see where this takes us.

Edited by Street red

26 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I make that my 23rd appointed full time, not caretaker/interim manager as an attending City fan.

If you started supporting City between Oct 1967 and September 1980 you’ll have the same number as me, such was the longevity of Alan Dicks.

The first man on that list took us to the top, good luck Liam, here’s hoping you become the next. 

Amazingly @ralphindevon there were only four managers in my first thirty one years beginning in 1950. Pat Beasley, promotion, Peter Doherty, responsible for relegation but sacked before it happened. Fred Ford promotion and AD with promotion to Div One and also partly responsible for three relegations in a row even if he'd gone after first drop.

Eight up and seven down. Will Manning be responsible for a return to top tier before they screw the lid down?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yawantsumillgiveitya said:

Being a Bristol City fan right now is like being cheated on by your wife right in front of you, then gaslighted when confronting it. Really hope this doesn’t backfire and cause us to go down.

This is my concern, yes the new breed of coaches need to be given their chance, but this is a guy stepping into a world that he has no knowledge of from the inside, hasn’t played at this level, hasn’t coached at this level, he has a relatively easy first batch of fixtures so that is in his favour, but I am concerned he really could crash and burn, I genuinely hope not, but it is one hell of a risk by JL and BT.

Under NP we had become relatively hard to beat, no hammerings this season, some close defeats, should the new guy change things radically we could all live to regret it.

I didn't know him before reading some info on here, but I honestly find this appointment underwhelming, mainly for the lack of experience at Championship & PL level: I would have preferred another experienced manager  or a foreign option. 

He'll probably change something on technical & tactical levels (for the better or worse, we'll see), but I hope that the positive work done by Pearson won't get "lost" and he'll be able to maintain the cohesion of the group high.

Anyway, I'll support him at 100%. Good luck, LM!

Edited by Dan Robin

I think what will help Manning is that he inherits a highly motivated, hard working squad, with a lot of ambitious young players. 

Typically a new manager inherits a mess but he's not at all. It's just a squad that hasn't been invested in enough.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Can’t say I’ve read that or seen it inferred, he was told on Saturday that he was being dismissed, the exact content of that conversation and the timescale for him leaving remains unknown to everyone except Curtis and whoever delivered it. What is known is that he new on Saturday night that he would be leaving.

Anyway the blood letting is over and we welcome the new head coach to the club, I doubt that any other coach has arrived at a club with the kind of expectation from any board that our new coach has.

I wonder what the cost has been to remove the four incumbents and recruit the two (at the moment) new people, circa £2M would be my guess.

I presume you mean board of directors rather than this board cos there ain’t much expectation on here!! Or excitement!!

Just now, stortfordred said:

I presume you mean board of directors rather than this board cos there ain’t much expectation on here!! Or excitement!!

Yes, I always call this forum, the forum😃

4 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

I didn't know him before reading some info on here, but I honestly find this appointment underwhelming, mainly for the lack of experience at Championship & PL level: I would have preferred another experienced manager  or a foreign option. 

He'll probably change something on technical & tactical levels (for the better or worse, we'll see), but I hope that the positive work done by Pearson won't get "lost" and he'll be able to maintain the cohesion of the group high.

Anyway, I'll support him at 100%. Good luck, LM!

A “foreign option” wouldn’t have championship or PL experience either you plum 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The LMA themselves state that there is no standard manager contract “template”.  And I’m probably being pedantic re your use of the word “standard”, when it might be better to say it’s “often” 1 year.  Not that I’m great with words! 👍🏻

Yeah I could be wrong or misheard. 
The discussion on the day was about the numbers of managers sacked at that time and their compo for going.
can't remember who the bloke was but he said they were working towards a common template.

Just now, 97Red said:

Listening to his press conference. He speaks very well and actually shares a lot of the same values as Nigel. He's a big believer in culture, doing the basics, intensity, playing to players strengths etc. Optimistic!

That’s something that speaks a lot to me, sometimes we play nice football and build momentum well but get bogged down by basic mistakes (Sheff W was a clear example). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think what will help Manning is that he inherits a highly motivated, hard working squad, with a lot of ambitious young players. 

Typically a new manager inherits a mess but he's not at all. It's just a squad that hasn't been invested in enough.

Absolutely, we have our failings which can only be solved by investment tbh but we certainly aren’t a mess in any way, shape or form. We are competent at the level, nothing more, with a lack of quality in key areas but overall it’s not the worst circumstances to take over. We certainly shouldn’t be losing seven or eight on the spin whilst new ideas are being implemented that’s for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The interview is almost word for word identical to his opening interview for Oxford. Watched his City one, then his Oxford one and my wife said "You're not watching it again ? "

They all say more or less the same.