IGNORED

TGH

Red Army 75

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I dunno. He’s had 3 free kicks in similar positions in the last few games and he’s hit them straight at the keeper. 
It’s something we severely lack - someone who is capable of scoring from a free kick - is Tomlin the last one?? 

Was that at Fulham?

Odemwingie, Odemwengie, etc to the tune of hang the DJ.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

What’s to say TGH agrees to come? 
If he sees West Brom as better for his career he might want to stay and fight for his place there. I believe they are only trying to sell him due to their own financial pressures, so they’re not selling him due to lack of ability 

Fee has allegedly been agreed.  TGH said his partner had moved down with him recently too.

New manager might have a different view, but I’d be surprised if any manager coming in didn’t see a 21 year old like TGH being a sensible loan-perm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Not saying James isn’t decent, just that I get frustrated with his style of play. Reminds me of LJ at times. Very safe and conservative style of play. 

Isn’t that sometimes exactly what’s needed though? And every side needs a player like that. It’s a balance, of course. I’m not one for the stats and the heat maps, but I wouldn’t mind betting that those cautious, conservative passes, that secure possession, go on to result in an effective attacking move just as often as the quick forward pass. It’s what players like him, Skuse, Pack, dare I say Johnson, do well. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

If he sees West Brom as better for his career he might want to stay and fight for his place there. I believe they are only trying to sell him due to their own financial pressures, so they’re not selling him due to lack of ability 

Think he’s very keen to stay, and both us & him want to tie it up pretty soon into Jan

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Isn’t that sometimes exactly what’s needed though? And every side needs a player like that. It’s a balance, of course. I’m not one for the stats and the heat maps, but I wouldn’t mind betting that those cautious, conservative passes, that secure possession, go on to result in an effective attacking move just as often as the quick forward pass. It’s what players like him, Skuse, Pack, dare I say Johnson, do well. 

There were times today when I wanted Jamo to be a bit more expansive, try the ball over the top, but I guess he knows his limitations.  How many balls did he intercept in the first half or harrass his man to give it away?

On the flipside, I wanted Sam Bell to stop looking over the top every time (exaggerated) he went to make a run.  Mix it up son!  Still got that game to mature imho.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fee has allegedly been agreed.  TGH said his partner had moved down with him recently too.

New manager might have a different view, but I’d be surprised if any manager coming in didn’t see a 21 year old like TGH being a sensible loan-perm.

Good research Fevs..............at 21, he looks like a really solid exciting prospect, can see him progressing into a quality individual?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were times today when I wanted Jamo to be a bit more expansive, try the ball over the top, but I guess he knows his limitations.  How many balls did he intercept in the first half or harrass his man to give it away?

On the flipside, I wanted Sam Bell to stop looking over the top every time (exaggerated) he went to make a run.  Mix it up son!  Still got that game to mature imho.

Yep: that and to start hitting the target when offered an open goal!

Seriously, he also needs to be able to mix it up for different situations. I felt today that balls over the top to him were never likely to give him much of a chance, given how deep SW sat with their two lines of 4. He had nothing much to run into. I felt Mehmeti running at them, and trying to play balls between them, was more effective. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although listening to Curtis they were doing exactly what he wanted them to do,less balls over the top and far more passing. 

Yeah think James was a bit restricted in his play today maybe a “just getting back from injury” type game. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Perhaps, but ultimately I pay my money to be entertained not to watch safe and conservative play. Football is a game of opinions, I will always prefer to watch a midfield player capable of taking the ball, turning, and driving at the opposition. TGH does this, he gets my support wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swede said:

My MOM today. Kept the midfield ticking over. Always looking to get on the front foot. Closely followed by Rob Dickie. I thought he was immense today and popped up with the goal.

Sykes bar one dodgy tackle and a pass out for a corner had another good game.  Becoming a very dependable player.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I guess all of the anti Tinnion brigade that appeared out of nowhere in the last week will see TGH as solely an NP signing along with Knight whilst the home grown are as being solely as a result of NP playing them.

These players are really good imo and are at the club as a result of both BT & NP  + team not one or the other.

Both these players are really growing in the team and as part of the team so well done to all- we just need several more of the same potential which involves the nest egg and someone who can pick up where NP left off as SC did after SO'D.

Are you suggesting that BT had a say in signing players and NP the manager of the club had a say as well ,if so that is very worrying,or of course you could be overplaying BT role but I don’t think you are 

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

I dunno. He’s had 3 free kicks in similar positions in the last few games and he’s hit them straight at the keeper. 
It’s something we severely lack - someone who is capable of scoring from a free kick - is Tomlin the last one?? 

Brownhill?

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are you suggesting that BT had a say in signing players and NP the manager of the club had a say as well ,if so that is very worrying,or of course you could be overplaying BT role but I don’t think you are 

BT as Tech Director, NP as manager, SG as Tech Recruitment, the CEO, etc….all were part of the recruitment process. The manager would have final say.

This isn’t a revelation.  Been well documented on here and by people like Gregor in the past.

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

BT as DOF , former scout, academy etc etc of course had a very big say. NP ,I very much doubt, would have anything other than a very significant input about who he wanted and would not have signed anyone unless he agreed. If you need to be reminded- he wasnt a yes man.

What's your take that makes you so worried????

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

BT as Tech Director, NP as manager, SG as Tech Recruitment, the CEO, etc….all were part of the recruitment process. The manager would have final say.

This isn’t a revelation.  Been well documented on here and by people like Gregor in the past.

Yeh I know I was being sarcastic,didn’t come across that well 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

BT as DOF , former scout, academy etc etc of course had a very big say. NP ,I very much doubt, would have anything other than a very significant input about who he wanted and would not have signed anyone unless he agreed. If you need to be reminded- he wasnt a yes man.

What's your take that makes you so worried????

That whatever happens BT 🐍 will have the final word when Manning is confirmed 

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yeah, right. 

So what was your point then?

Understand?

He had an ok to good game from where I was sat. I thought the midfield were noticeably more conservative in possession today, coached that way I think. Under Pearson I thought we would force a ball that wasn’t necessarily on and then press it if it didn’t come off, whereas today TGH and MJ checked out and maintained possession, at times too cautious for my liking. 

also worth noting, Piercy I think, stating that TGH was not a player we actively tracked in the summer like Mcrorie and Knight, but one we moved quickly on. So maybe more of WBA circulating his name and us needing a player then any grand plan.

Edited by ciderwithtommy

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ah- ok.....

Another Brian Tinnion is the new Mark Ashton .

Very very sad. 

Who's next ? Scott Murray? 

Or will the Atyeo statue be in your way?

Are you suggesting they are not beyond criticism because they have played for the city,many would say it’s a old boys club,not sure you would know but who is let’s say the kit man of successful clubs,bet your bottom dollar it isn’t a ex player 

30 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Perhaps, but ultimately I pay my money to be entertained not to watch safe and conservative play. Football is a game of opinions, I will always prefer to watch a midfield player capable of taking the ball, turning, and driving at the opposition. TGH does this, he gets my support wholeheartedly.

Of course, and so do I. But I don’t think that precludes valuing the role of players like James, Skuse, Pack, dare I say Johnson.

I loved watching sides we’ve had that have been full of entertaining players. The side with Cole, Jacki, Rosenior, Atteveld, that would win 4-3, but lose 3-4 more often! Terry Cooper’s City.

But they’ve rarely achieved anything beyond league 1! 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think that because the loan had an option to buy, he was told he has no future at the Hawthorns. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Think those ones were a bit further out than the one today and last one TC took also. 

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Of course, and so do I. But I don’t think that precludes valuing the role of players like James, Skuse, Pack, dare I say Johnson.

I loved watching sides we’ve had that have been full of entertaining players. The side with Cole, Jacki, Rosenior, Atteveld, that would win 4-3, but lose 3-4 more often! Terry Cooper’s City.

But they’ve rarely achieved anything beyond league 1! 

For me, that has often been due to poor culture (drink), bad managerial choices, or board mismanagement of the club as a whole.

It is very possible to be attack minded and “on the front foot” in this league, and challenge for promotion. I’d much rather see that style of play, and the players that demonstrate it, than passive and ultimately safe sideways and backwards passing.

I won’t slate James for being a “safe” player. He puts on a red shirt, he gets my support. But I’ve never got out of my seat watching him play. He’s alright and that’s about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Excellent again along with Knight. I really like him 

I'm still mixed.

Feel both can be guilty at times of 'hiding' when we're in possession, i.e. static at times. Knighty more so, especially when on the ball - has a habit of playing head down a bit too much.

Led to a couple of times where we struggled to break the lines, especially when both at times left James isolated and Dickie and Vyner had issues finding them on the angles.

Goal output still a slight concern.

Hopefully both may improve and kick on with more games and training.

To be fair to both however, thought Conway and Weimann were poor today - latter unfortunately looks like age, lacking a yard of pace, and a lack of confidence is catching up to him.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1