IGNORED

Training session - perhaps TC didn’t get the memo

Jerseybean

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You've gone to all that effort to basically confirm that he had a squad to work with that cost a lot of money for that level.

Yep the squad he worked with in Belgium likely cost more money than the others - equally, the team finished significantly lower in the table the seasons leading up to his arrival, and they finished lower the season after he left. 

Interestingly, Nigel Pearson was sacked by a team in the same division for being in the relegation zone. And Nigel Pearson didn’t turn out too badly did he 👍

Edited by Kibs

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am genuinely shocked at this. Still pictures can be interpreted in so many ways, especially when you are looking for something to confirm your bias. Try looking at the videos to get a better impression.

I can tell you directly from a player that the group have been impressed with him from the first meeting, he and Hogg have an energy and that has been infectious in training.

You are trying to educate pork mate.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Super said:

Amazing how people read so much into a training session. Roll on tomorrow

Totally agree

The stuff they show on Uncut are Clips of sessions that thousands of coaches across the country put on all over the country

The quality of those sessions , and importantly the thoughts behind them , the selection of them in a structured plan to develop individuals and the team , one would hope , are in the excellent category amongst those thousands of coaches, and those,  are the most interesting , telling ,and important aspects , that we never really get to see , hear or understand.

The 11 v 11 coaching , and walk throughs are always for me important but we never get to see any more than a few seconds

It really is a mere snapshot

Its important that players enjoy these sessions and I guess you may be able to gauge that , to some degree over a period of time but it’s grasping at straws to ‘analyse’ too much from the Uncut videos (They’re a great thing and something I’m sure many fans enjoy)

The one to one conversations , the tactical pre match briefs etc are really the things that we would all like to see, to see how much a coach impresses ..... but never will (Ryan Giggs hold my beer :laugh:)

My nervousness about LM Manning type appointments over the years is credibility with the players and whether players would ‘buy in’ to a young modern coach , there’s times past in the game that would have been a real struggle and hurdle to overcome

One aspect the game has appeared to change massively in recent years is this , I think players are far more willing to listen and buy into a young coach , who may not have had a playing career 

I would think Academy’s have influenced this mindset from an early age and success of some notable coaches with no playing credence of note , and a different route ‘in’ , such as Jose , Wenger etc has helped.

In reality we can only make an opinion on the coaching and tactical astuteness of the head man , on a Saturday or Tuesday night , and over a period.

If nothing else , it will be interesting to see, in coming weeks or months what changes we see

Personally , my biggest fear with younger / relatively inexperienced coaches is , not their knowledge or coaching ability as such , but their ability to halt a slide in a side if things don’t go to plan - Let’s hope we don’t have to take that test.

There is zero doubt that Manning and Hogg will have coaching ability , almost certainly decent , if not very decent , to have landed here and previous roles.

Its down now to the players buying in , and still for me something that’s just as important to all the daily work on the training ground - Recruitment

Sign good players that will fit your preferred system / methodology, and unless you have a poor coaching team , that have a significant negative effect , you are highly likely to be successful 

Sign poor players or players that don’t fit your non negotiable or principles , and don’t fit in any way , even with top end coaches you are going to struggle.

Mannings input into recruitment and Tinnion and his teams performance in identifying players moving forward are , for me , as key / important as any coaching ability of Manning and Hogg (Or whoever is in that role)

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The majority of football players don't like team meetings and standing around listening to information. There are countless examples out there of players falling asleep during these meetings.

They are football players who want to play football. 

At a lower level you may get more of a buy in but at this level you're dealing with millionaires in some cases.

Just give Manning a chance. Seems like you’ve made up your mind already.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Personally , my biggest fear with younger / relatively inexperienced coaches is , not their knowledge or coaching ability as such , but their ability to halt a slide in a side if things don’t go to plan - Let’s hope we don’t have to take that test.

Added to that, it’s the in-game analysis and problem solving to know what’s going right, what’s going wrong, what needs to change, what doesn’t.

I harp back to LJ, to a post-match interview against PNE (h) where he started off with - “we matched them up”, when it was clear that they’d played a different system to what he’d prepared for, and we hadn’t matched them up at all!!!  That’s not just on LJ, who won’t always have the best view at pitch level, but the “support team” too.  How did they miss that?  Not saying that was the reason for the defeat, but you’d expect someone to say - “Lee, they’ve changed system, they ain’t playing like we thought they were”.

Edited by Spreadsheet Boy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally agree

The stuff they show on Uncut are Clips of sessions that thousands of coaches across the country put on all over the country

The quality of those sessions , and importantly the thoughts behind them , the selection of them in a structured plan to develop individuals and the team , one would hope , are in the excellent category amongst those thousands of coaches, and those,  are the most interesting , telling ,and important aspects , that we never really get to see , hear or understand.

The 11 v 11 coaching , and walk throughs are always for me important but we never get to see any more than a few seconds

Its important that players enjoy these sessions and I guess you may be able to gauge that , to some degree over a period of time but it’s grasping at straws to ‘analyse’ too much from the Uncut videos (They’re a great thing and something I’m sure many fans enjoy)

The one to one conversations , the tactical pre match briefs etc are really the things that we would all like to see, to see how much a coach impresses ..... but never will (Ryan Giggs hold my beer :laugh:)

My nervousness about LM Manning type appointments over the years is credibility with the players and whether players would ‘buy in’ to a young modern coach , there’s times past in the game that would have been a real struggle and hurdle to overcome

One aspect the game has appeared to change massively in recent years is this , I think players are far more willing to listen and buy into a young coach , who may not have had a playing career 

I would think Academy’s have influenced this mindset from an early age and success of some notable coaches with no playing credence of note , and a different route ‘in’ , such as Jose , Wenger etc has helped.

In reality we can only make an opinion on the coaching and tactical astuteness of the head man , on a Saturday or Tuesday night , and over a period.

If nothing else , it will be interesting to see, in coming weeks or months what changes we see

There is zero doubt that Manning and Hogg will have coaching ability , almost certainly decent , if not very decent , to have landed here and previous roles.

Its down now to the players buying in , and still for me something that’s just as important to all the daily work on the training ground - Recruitment

Sign good players that will fit your preferred system / methodology, and unless you have a poor coaching team , that have a significant negative effect , you are highly likely to be successful 

Sign poor players or players that don’t fit your non negotiable or principles , and don’t fit in any way , even with top end coaches you are going to struggle.

Mannings input into recruitment and Tinnion and his teams performance in identifying players moving forward are , for me , as key / important as any coaching ability of Manning and Hogg (Or whoever is in that role)

Spot on, I think in the Recruitment space more and more it's the personal attributes that are as, if not more important than pure playing attributes (obviously beyond the basics, I would like to think just because he's a top bloke and very receptive to coaching you aren't going to be recruiting a left back to play in goal) no point recruiting a player who fits the bill in terms of ability if he's not going to fit the dynamic of the squad or be receptive to the managers methods, that will likely be more problematic than recruiting a player whose technical attributes maybe aren't quite as high but will fit in with the culture and be more receptive will work out better in the long run. 

I think often we as fans get hung up on Formations, systems etc etc far more than a lot of modern managers do, who may have lots of very complicated and fangled systems but fundamentally they are man managers and that's how they get the players to conform to their "system" they may have an overarching ethos but will adapt the specifics to fit the players they have, to take a Manning example he does seem to prefer 3 at the back and I expect he will either start with that here if he thinks we have the players to play it, or like he did at Oxford mainly play a back 4 and then maybe transition to a 3.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Spot on, I think in the Recruitment space more and more it's the personal attributes that are as, if not more important than pure playing attributes (obviously beyond the basics, I would like to think just because he's a top bloke and very receptive to coaching you aren't going to be recruiting a left back to play in goal) no point recruiting a player who fits the bill in terms of ability if he's not going to fit the dynamic of the squad or be receptive to the managers methods, that will likely be more problematic than recruiting a player whose technical attributes maybe aren't quite as high but will fit in with the culture and be more receptive will work out better in the long run. 

I think often we as fans get hung up on Formations, systems etc etc far more than a lot of modern managers do, who may have lots of very complicated and fangled systems but fundamentally they are man managers and that's how they get the players to conform to their "system" they may have an overarching ethos but will adapt the specifics to fit the players they have, to take a Manning example he does seem to prefer 3 at the back and I expect he will either start with that here if he thinks we have the players to play it, or like he did at Oxford mainly play a back 4 and then maybe transition to a 3.

The beauty of recruitment is finding a player fits what you need, but is undervalued.  Why are they undervalued?  Sometimes it’s because they’re in the wrong team, playing the wrong way for that player, or are just in a poor team full stop, so they aren’t coming to the fore.

Years and years ago, City’s recruiting seems to be based on “did they play well against us”.  Well, maybe they played well against us because they played in a team system that exploited our weaknesses…and were therefore unsuitable for us because we played differently.

I’m looking forward to the types of players we get linked to.  We have seen an improvement in recruitment since Nige came in, especially when restricted budgets are in place.  The process is well embedded now within the club.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally agree

Good post.

Putting on my managerial hat (a nice 1960s bowler) I'd say that some people can be very good at the technical side of jobs, but to manage men in any context you need a bit of the psychologist about you. You need to manage occasional failures as well as managing successes. You need to be able to lift and encourage. You need to inspire and in particular inspire belief in you as a leader. You need to build a team with high morale, motivation and self belief who'll work for each other.

It's my guess that Lee Johnson (to pick but one example) was much better at the technical aspects of coaching than he was at the more HR related morale-building side.  It's why when his side faced adversity - a narrow or unexpected defeat, key player injury, unfair sending off - their collective heads dropped. They then went into a slump in form before luck and chance got us a win and the team regained confidence. "Streaky Lee". 

Pearson however had that ability to inspire. We were often outfought under him, but never for want of trying.

I hope Manning will bring that ability to team build with him, because, in my experience, it's something innate and can't be taught. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My initial impressions were that these videos remind me of the early videos under Holden with Downing and Simpson. We know how that worked out. 

Hopefully I'm wrong but I've got the same sort of feeling watching these videos. Something doesn't quite feel right. Players standing around a lot looking uninterested. 

You see what you want to see, whilst others see a lively session with the coaches at ease in their roles. The players look engaged and up for it....what youtube clip were you watching?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

The beauty of recruitment is finding a player fits what you need, but is undervalued.  Why are they undervalued?  Sometimes it’s because they’re in the wrong team, playing the wrong way for that player, or are just in a poor team full stop, so they aren’t coming to the fore.

Years and years ago, City’s recruiting seems to be based on “did they play well against us”.  Well, maybe they played well against us because they played in a team system that exploited our weaknesses…and were therefore unsuitable for us because we played differently.

I’m looking forward to the types of players we get linked to.  We have seen an improvement in recruitment since Nige came in, especially when restricted budgets are in place.  The process is well embedded now within the club.

Absolutely think we started the right overall approach under Johnson and Ashton, but lacked anyone to direct it so we may have identified the right players for what was requested but there was no oversight of or sense in what was being requested, it was a data driven clubs in the bag approach that ended up with us having about 8 sets of Irons. 

Pearson came in and provided that clarity of process which I hope has been enshrined into internal processes that will prevent a rogue clubs in the bag approach being allowed to happen. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Good post.

Putting on my managerial hat (a nice 1960s bowler) I'd say that some people can be very good at the technical side of jobs, but to manage men in any context you need a bit of the psychologist about you. You need to manage occasional failures as well as managing successes. You need to be able to lift and encourage. You need to inspire and in particular inspire belief in you as a leader. You need to build a team with high morale, motivation and self belief who'll work for each other.

It's my guess that Lee Johnson (to pick but one example) was much better at the technical aspects of coaching than he was at the more HR related morale-building side.  It's why when his side faced adversity - a narrow or unexpected defeat, key player injury, unfair sending off - their collective heads dropped. They then went into a slump in form before luck and chance got us a win and the team regained confidence. "Streaky Lee". 

Pearson however had that ability to inspire. We were often outfought under him, but never for want of trying.

I hope Manning will bring that ability to team build with him, because, in my experience, it's something innate and can't be taught. 

Yes , some excellent points about the man management side

ideally you want a brilliant tactician , who is or employs brilliant on the grass coaches , and is man management genius ! 😁

In reality you get a mix of ability in those key areas 

I never thought NP was going to be , or was , a tactical genius with innovative systems - He delivered exactly what I hoped, and thought he would in terms of man management (tough love I’d suggest a fair bit) , discipline , principles , team ethic etc 

Despite the unglamorous (for some) results I really liked what he brought and, considering we had runs of decisions , the no penalties farce , injury problems , I was proud of NP , staff and players in what they dug out and produced , in some ways as proud I was of SC or GJ teams and spells.

Manning clearly has a lot of on the grass coaching experience and study behind him - but I really hope above all else he maintains the values Pearson and staff brought to the footballing side of the Club 

If I look back professionally in a profession where managers and decision makers constantly changed, and consider when I most enjoyed and performed , it was for the honest , fair , good bosses , the ones you’d do the proverbial  ‘ run through a brick wall for’ , or rather come in on a day off for.

They had to be professionally competent too to have the other half of the respect , but the man management / connection side was massive

I’d be surprised if footballers are any different 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

Yea think that's a great post @Sheltons Army

From what I have seen / read / heard I think that Manning is much more of a continuity appointment in those terms than others are giving him credit for (obviously we have to wait and see if that bears out) , the way he spoke in his Oxford interviews I watched he seems very much whole over individual in terms of work ethic etc etc, but also treats each player as an individual and will taylor training / how he works with them to the individual rather than a one size fits all approach. 

Which seems to be bourne out on the feedback they had on Manning when Tinnion / the club went to Richard Keogh to get his impressions on Manning having been at MK Dons when Manning was there. 

Edited by Spud21
  • Robin 1

One thing that always makes me smile watching these videos as I think of the (normally) match day posts

Player ***** is S**T

Player **** is Downs League.

Etc

Is just how impressive for us mere mortals their ability actually is, their techniques , miles and miles away from even good local footballers let alone most of us huff puff and shuffle weekend footballers

It might be on a training pitch ,but as they take a ball at pace in their stride and whip one in the top corner from 20 years for the umpteenth time makes you compare with yourself who can remember in detail the twice you did it at training and the once  , in an actual game , on a wet Sunday morning against the Amblers Vets 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Manning clearly has a lot of on the grass coaching experience and study behind him - but I really hope above all else he maintains the values Pearson and staff brought to the footballing side of the Club 

There were a couple of key things that came out of his written-media press conference that gave me hope - and it is hope at this point, because we’ve got nothing to base it on at Bristol City:

image.thumb.png.c15a4e9992c7eef374b3c4e381e5c8ef.png

image.thumb.png.503ca43b90c4610f305cb302736a353b.png

image.thumb.png.bb9c7173f0be32bd19fcde9189acb8e7.png

26 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Yea think that's a great post @Sheltons Army

From what I have seen / read / heard I think that Manning is much more of a continuity appointment in those terms than others are giving him credit for (obviously we have to wait and see if that bears out) , the way he spoke in his Oxford interviews I watched he seems very much whole over individual in terms of work ethic etc etc, but also treats each player as an individual and will taylor training / how he works with them to the individual rather than a one size fits all approach. 

Which seems to be bourne out on the feedback they had on Manning when Tinnion / the club went to Richard Keogh to get his impressions on Manning having been at MK Dons when Manning was there. 

Yep, agree.  It’s not on paper a “rip it up and start again, is it?

I think his post-match interviews are gonna be tough to listen to….because they’ll be pretty “samey” week in week out, regardless of results.  I watched about a dozen the other night and they don’t vary much.  That’s fine though.

I’m looking forward to hearing his pre-match stuff because that’s where Nige’s nuggets were.  And LJ’s pre-match were always better than his post-match ones.

1 hour ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

I'm sure one year we signed a group of players because they'd been part of a side that had a good cup run.

In which case, look out Cray Valley Paper Mills!

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am genuinely shocked at this. Still pictures can be interpreted in so many ways, especially when you are looking for something to confirm your bias. Try looking at the videos to get a better impression.

I can tell you directly from a player that the group have been impressed with him from the first meeting, he and Hogg have an energy and that has been infectious in training.

Confirmation bias? 

I could also say that you're looking at it to see the things you also want to see. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just give Manning a chance. Seems like you’ve made up your mind already.

Lets clear this up, I hope Manning is an absolute roaring success here. You may have belief that he will be, I'm not so sure. Neither of us are right or wrong. 

Of course he has a chance to win me over, starting 2moro.

3 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

You see what you want to see, whilst others see a lively session with the coaches at ease in their roles. The players look engaged and up for it....what youtube clip were you watching?

Not quite sure that players standing around constitutes lively. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

One thing that always makes me smile watching these videos as I think of the (normally) match day posts

Player ***** is S**T

Player **** is Downs League.

Etc

Is just how impressive for us mere mortals their ability actually is, their techniques , miles and miles away from even good local footballers let alone most of us huff puff and shuffle weekend footballers

It might be on a training pitch ,but as they take a ball at pace in their stride and whip one in the top corner from 20 years for the umpteenth time makes you compare with yourself who can remember in detail the twice you did it at training and the once  , in an actual game , on a wet Sunday morning against the Amblers Vets 

I agree with all your other posts but think this doesn’t have much relevance - people, when criticising players, aren’t saying they could do better.

They’re comparing the player - relatively speaking - to standards expected of a professional. 

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Confirmation bias? 

I could also say that you're looking at it to see the things you also want to see. 

Lets clear this up, I hope Manning is an absolute roaring success here. You may have belief that he will be, I'm not so sure. Neither of us are right or wrong. 

Of course he has a chance to win me over, starting 2moro.

Not quite sure that players standing around constitutes lively. 

I honestly don’t know either way because I don’t know much about Manning.

I’m annoyed Pearson was sacked but am prepared to give Manning a fair go. Surely that’s how most people feel? 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 5

"For us as senior lads we have a bit of a role to play because some of the younger boys haven't really experienced managerial change yet, so, it's about keeping them, y'know, kind of not sprinting around too much, trying to impress too much, just relax and basically trying to play their game".

Wise words from Matty James today. So relax Tommy. 

For that's all it surely was -  a young, determined boy desperate to impress the new manager.

What a load of sh!te this thread truly is, peak OTIB sh!te.

The End.

But while we're here, how brilliant that Nigel Pearson brought such wise, experienced voices to our club. Voices that are absolutely essential if our club are determined to put such an emphasis on youth players - there MUST be older heads around, willing and able (not often the case) to guide the "younger boys" over the inevitable bumps in the road. 

"Why's Andy King playing? Why? Why? I've got a bairn centre half who's never played a league game in his life who should be playing instead of him. Howay, man"

F *** off you back stabbing failure.  

Did you build the HPC with your own bare hands Brian? Did you pay for it? Did you coach any of the players who've made it through the academy to the first team?

So what have you done Brian?

You're just the face. You talk the talk, while someone else has to actually walk the walk. People like Andy King and Matty James. You're Guernsey's sock puppet. Congratulations. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 3
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"For us as senior lads we have a bit of a role to play because some of the younger boys haven't really experienced managerial change yet, so, it's about keeping them, y'know, kind of not sprinting around too much, trying to impress too much, just relax and basically trying to play their game".

For that's all it surely was -  a young, determined boy desperate to impress the new manager.

The End.

But while we're here, how brilliant that Nigel Pearson brought such wise, experienced voices to our club. Voices that are absolutely essential if our club are determined to put such an emphasis on youth players - there MUST be older heads around, willing and able (not often the case) to guide the "younger boys" over the inevitable bumps in the road. 

"Why's Andy King playing? Why? Why? I've got a bairn centre half who's never played a league game in his life who should be playing instead of him. Howay, man"

Did you build the HPC with your own bare hands Brian? Did you pay for it? Did you coach any of the players who've made it through the academy to the first team?

You're just the face. You talk the talk, while someone else has to actually walk the walk. People like Andy King and Matty James. You're Guernsey's sock puppet. Congratulations. 

Man on a mission ... "Look into my eyes" ... Some interesting echoes:

Looking forward to tomorrow - interested to see how we line up/play at the start of our next chapter.

I may not have agreed with Nige’s dismissal but will give Liam and the boys my continued backing to the hilt!

Three points would be massive but let’s not just focus on one game. Matty J’s interview earlier was pleasing to see/hear - seems as if the players have had a good, first few days with our new management team.

COYRs.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The End.

Talk about the makings of a great post disintegrating into snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Like 1