IGNORED

Nahki Wells

old_eastender

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

It’s the old cliche about your reputation going up when you’re not there.

That said, soon I hope!

Was going to say the same, one poster on here was suggesting that we release him (impossible anyway as he’s under contract for another year) only a few weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Got a sick note for another couple of weeks I think. 

Bermuda have a couple of games during the international break, so will probably be fit to play in those if selected (and they don't have a lot to select from).

He retired from international football about a year ago.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Need his movement. When we have possession and the players off the ball are way too static. Needs a forward to move the defense around and either find space or make some for other players. 

Yes I agree. We missed that today. Tommy is a better player with Wells around somewhere.  

We were pretty useless at finding anyone until TGH came on and Bell made some space! Mehmeti looks like he is devoid of confidence in a system that doesn’t suit him! I think there is a player in there but we need to find him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Yep, Wells and Weiman are not why we need going forward

Agree with you on Weimann, consistently underwhelming. Worked hard today chasing and closing down, but never provided any real linkage from m/f to attack - something Knight does. OOC end of the season and for me, should be released.

Wells however, has better movement and more ability to hold the ball and bring others into play, than any of our other forwards. Also brings out the best in Conway. In contract to end of next season and I for one, hope he is fit to return to action soon.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

Always thought Nige fancied Wells more than Conway and at times you can’t blame the thought process. Offers more off the ball, with his movement and work rate. Lacking confidence when it comes to finishing and by god if he gives away needless fouls at times but I was worried when he got injured and we are definitely missing him. 

13 hours ago, Cristored said:

Wells is a decent enough option but still amazed he got a new contract.

Sets up a lot of the attacking moves for the likes of Conway and Bell to finish. Sometimes direct assists, sometimes by bringing and holding the ball near the opposition box for someone else to assist the goalscorer.

Much more canny at keeping possession in those threatening positions than some of the youngr players. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Cristored said:

Wells is a decent enough option but still amazed he got a new contract.

I mean we are literally paying him less than we were so can't see any negative to the new contract...

I really rate Wells, isn't the poacher I thought we had signed and has a much better all round game. I don't think it's coincidence all our other attackers look more dangerous when he plays.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I mean we are literally paying him less than we were so can't see any negative to the new contract...

I really rate Wells, isn't the poacher I thought we had signed and has a much better all round game. I don't think it's coincidence all our other attackers look more dangerous when he plays.

Hugely unselfish player.  A player who I think Nige got back to form, when he looked like being an expensive flop.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Hugely unselfish player.  A player who I think Nige got back to form, when he looked like being an expensive flop.

I have just realised who you are.

I thought your style and content reminded me of somebody else, thought how strange it was that I hadn’t seen him post for a while as he is usually quite prolific, and then Bingo!

My Eurêka moment, if you like.

I thought he was supposed to be fit by now, hopefully back after the break then.

Like others have said I love his movement, he chases and is busy and his runs can make space. Not only that, but Tommy hasn't looked the same player without him. That partnership looked really promising, not sure if we will move towards a front 2 but that, I feel , was when we looked most dangerous.

14 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with you on Weimann, consistently underwhelming. Worked hard today chasing and closing down, but never provided any real linkage from m/f to attack - something Knight does. OOC end of the season and for me, should be released.

Wells however, has better movement and more ability to hold the ball and bring others into play, than any of our other forwards. Also brings out the best in Conway. In contract to end of next season and I for one, hope he is fit to return to action soon.

In fairness to Weimann, I just don't think the system Pearson was playing - and Manning broadly continued with yesterday - is one that will get the best out of him. He's been great for us when we've had formations where others are creating space for him to run into but we're essentially using him to create, which he doesn't really do, in a system that requires a degree of tactical discipline whereas he is better when he is free to roam. 

But fundamentally the issue with Wiemann at the moment is the way we play - poor though we were yesterday - probably suits the bulk of our players the everybody is fit, and he's not doing enough to justify changing it up to get the best out of him. Ultimately Manning might have ideas of how he wants to develop our style and, if so, it then comes down to whether those adaptations will suit Weimann or not. If not, I certainly agree it makes sense to release him. But he's been written off several times in his career here and suddenly forced his way back in as a key player so we'll see what happens between now and May. 

55 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Nige got back to form, after leaving him on the bench to rot while making us put up with Chris Martin.

Think Wells worked his way back in to the team on his own merit, and professionally went about it.

If I’m not mistaken, Wells started getting his minutes ramped up once Euell came onto the coaching staff.

Thanks Jas.

• Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In fairness to Weimann, I just don't think the system Pearson was playing - and Manning broadly continued with yesterday - is one that will get the best out of him. He's been great for us when we've had formations where others are creating space for him to run into but we're essentially using him to create, which he doesn't really do, in a system that requires a degree of tactical discipline whereas he is better when he is free to roam. 

But fundamentally the issue with Wiemann at the moment is the way we play - poor though we were yesterday - probably suits the bulk of our players the everybody is fit, and he's not doing enough to justify changing it up to get the best out of him. Ultimately Manning might have ideas of how he wants to develop our style and, if so, it then comes down to whether those adaptations will suit Weimann or not. If not, I certainly agree it makes sense to release him. But he's been written off several times in his career here and suddenly forced his way back in as a key player so we'll see what happens between now and May. 

I might have been tempted to start him up front with SB. Weimann got goals when playing as part of a front line, but expect him to drift in from wide midfield positions and he just looks bypassed by the game. 

His sprinting speed and continual running - he was always moving around the pitch when he first came to us - is declining with his age. But he knows where the goal is if he's in the position to see it. 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I might have been tempted to start him up front with SB. Weimann got goals when playing as part of a front line, but expect him to drift in from wide midfield positions and he just looks bypassed by the game. 

His sprinting speed and continual running - he was always moving around the pitch when he first came to us - is declining with his age. But he knows where the goal is if he's in the position to see it. 

I certainly think we need something to shift in our attacking approach. As it stands, we just aren’t creating chances and - going back the original point of the thread - I don’t think Wells, Conway or anyone else can be a goalscoring solution without more chances to work with. 

I am sure plenty on here will disagree but I’d be tempted to go to a back three of Naismith, Vyner and Dickie to enable us to remain solid whilst having two up-front in a 3-4-1-2 not dissimilar to when we had the W-S-M combination at the end of 21/22 and see if that creates more chances.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I certainly think we need something to shift in our attacking approach. As it stands, we just aren’t creating chances and - going back the original point of the thread - I don’t think Wells, Conway or anyone else can be a goalscoring solution without more chances to work with. 

I am sure plenty on here will disagree but I’d be tempted to go to a back three of Naismith, Vyner and Dickie to enable us to remain solid whilst having two up-front in a 3-4-1-2 not dissimilar to when we had the W-S-M combination at the end of 21/22 and see if that creates more chances.

Prefer Naismith as a midfield distributer to be honest than in the back line. 

I definitely don't think playing one man up front works with any of the strikers we have at the club. 

• Like 1