IGNORED

U21 Tonight [Merged]

bcfc01

27 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would expect the youth to keep coming through. We have some very good youngsters.  Seb Palmer-Houlden for example…he has a very good chance of being better than Sam Bell when he gets to the same age. Maybe even better.  I believe SPH is 19. Yeboah, as someone else has mentioned will get so much better by the time he is 19-20.  

SPH back on the bench for Newport against the gas tonight. Olly Thomas starting.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sorry yes totally agree. Didn’t mean to come across accusational, if it did!

Its all very messy isn’t it. I know that the clubs (probably Tinnion) golden North Star is to have an entire starting 11 from the academy, and all being good enough to do it consistently, not just a token one off game. 

Absolute lunacy to try and work to that, also seemingly want to be top 6, with the owner saying we can basically sell a star player each window too. Nothing adds up at all. 

Yes all good mate... totally agree..👍

46 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would expect the youth to keep coming through. We have some very good youngsters.  Seb Palmer-Houlden for example…he has a very good chance of being better than Sam Bell when he gets to the same age. Maybe even better.  I believe SPH is 19. Yeboah, as someone else has mentioned will get so much better by the time he is 19-20.  

Happy birthday Seb, 20 today.

(Seriously, it’s his birthday today)

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep. People are very quick to determine a players future when the player is a teenager !

Madness.

Nobody is being quick to determine a players future. 

Just pointing out playing 17 yos, who aren't at the level required, whilst giving them minutes to develop is admirable, it isn't the recipe to compete in the top 6 as is being expected by the club. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

20 today 😉

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Someone posted a few weeks ago that expecting us to produce another Scott, Semenyo & Kelly every year is fantasy stuff, let alone the academy producing multiple numbers each season.

I’ve only seen 1 U21 game live but respect the views of several who see a fair few & think we have at least 5 or 6 playing now who are probably going to be let go at season’s end.

I also saw someone asking about Morrison who is not even 18 until next March.

The danger in overhyping certain youngsters is obvious, some are now wondering why he isn’t around the first team when progress isn’t linear.

The kid has plenty of time yet or he might not ever fulfill his potential, only time will tell.

Who'd be an U23 centre back at the moment? Vyner, Atkinson and Dickie are going nowhere, so no pathway there. Which is why I found it interesting that Araoye played at LWB - maybe seeing if he has another string to his bow? The lad has obvious potential.

Midfield will be revamped in the summer - cheerio King, probably Williams and James and potentially Weimann. In will come lower league players with 100 games under their belt, room for improvement and in their early 20s (Tinnion's own description). No obvious pathway there for the U23s. Perhaps OTC will get another chance now Pearson has gone. No-one else, I'd imagine.

Wells won't be getting another contract and Conway or Bell might be sold if they continue to do well. So there might be opportunities up front. If so, Palmer-Holden has something about him. Time will tell. 

But the rest of the young forwards are miles off yet, despite Tinnion's self-serving efforts to hype up Yeboah. You can put stuff up on social media all you like, or blather on to whoever you bump into at FGR of a night. But we've all seen with our own eyes that the lad is way off at the moment, albeit with an excellent attitude. Perhaps our teknical director should put a sock in it, cut the hype, let the young ones develop at their own pace?   

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nobody is being quick to determine a players future. 

Just pointing out playing 17 yos, who aren't at the level required, whilst giving them minutes to develop is admirable, it isn't the recipe to compete in the top 6 as is being expected by the club. 

Hand very much forced into the situation though has to be taken into account, he probably would have had nothing more than the odd token minute if that if we hadn't had the amount of injuries to our front line that we have. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I hope I’ve caught him on bad days but not been over impressed with JKL when I’ve seen him & certainly see Araoye ahead of him.  

Plus, what’s his best position?

Where Zak plays, so let’s face it, he isn’t ever going to displace him & when Rob Atkinson is back if Vyner is missing (& that doesn’t happen often) Rob Dickie would surely move across, enabling him to play on his stronger side.

If we used him at RB, Tanner is as steady as they come there & presumably McCrorie will be available in January.

Not a comment about Knight-Lebel, but we need players further up the pitch to breakthrough from the 21s not defenders.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, James54De said:

Think it’s pretty clear that he is ahead of Araoye. Captained the u21s almost every game, and has a spot on the bench ahead of Araoye. 

I am not sure it makes him the better player, I was impressed with Araoye at LWB, but JKL is very vocal even with Rob A and Idehen playing along side him he still called all the shots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I hope I’ve caught him on bad days but not been over impressed with JKL when I’ve seen him & certainly see Araoye ahead of him.  

JKL is definitely clear of Raph, he’s too ponderous on the ball, will turn back to goal too easily if he can’t decide. JKL will usually seemingly have a clearer picture of what he wants to do with the ball and takes a lot less time on it, Raph anywhere near first team football atm would be easy to press. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, petehinton said:

Sorry yes totally agree. Didn’t mean to come across accusational, if it did!

Its all very messy isn’t it. I know that the clubs (probably Tinnion) golden North Star is to have an entire starting 11 from the academy, and all being good enough to do it consistently, not just a token one off game. 

Absolute lunacy to try and work to that, also seemingly want to be top 6, with the owner saying we can basically sell a star player each window too. Nothing adds up at all. 

Your reference to have only our Academy boys in the first team. Thoroughly agree and while not trying to be critical of AD, he had so many that were very young when they started at City. Apart from Hunter, Royle and Cormack, the core of the team stayed together for five/six years. I believe that this was one of the reasons we slipped from 8th in the First in October 1979 to relegation by April. They were stale without fresh quality input.

I consider the ideal is for the squad to change each summer with a couple of Academy graduates and two from elsewhere. Not drastic changes to the team plan but enough (15 to 20%) to keep it fresh.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

JKL is definitely clear of Raph, he’s too ponderous on the ball, will turn back to goal too easily if he can’t decide. JKL will usually seemingly have a clearer picture of what he wants to do with the ball and takes a lot less time on it, Raph anywhere near first team football atm would be easy to press. 

At last, I was mystified by all the "Araoue" is great posts and closest to a call up

He's very ponderous on the ball and his first thought is backwards!

31 minutes ago, frenchred said:

At last, I was mystified by all the "Araoue" is great posts and closest to a call up

He's very ponderous on the ball and his first thought is backwards!

Hope with Duncan Idehen going on loan to Yeovil til end of Jan, we get to see Raph back in at CB.

Where is Callum Wood?  Is he injured?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Hope with Duncan Idehen going on loan to Yeovil til end of Jan, we get to see Raph back in at CB.

Where is Callum Wood?  Is he injured?

Didnt know Idehen was going on loan but I think that could help Raph get a decent run at CB as I believe he is better suited there (only my opinion though)

Not sure what's happened to Wood, but not played the last couple I think

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Who'd be an U23 centre back at the moment? Vyner, Atkinson and Dickie are going nowhere, so no pathway there. Which is why I found it interesting that Araoye played at LWB - maybe seeing if he has another string to his bow? The lad has obvious potential.

Midfield will be revamped in the summer - cheerio King, probably Williams and James and potentially Weimann. In will come lower league players with 100 games under their belt, room for improvement and in their early 20s (Tinnion's own description). No obvious pathway there for the U23s. Perhaps OTC will get another chance now Pearson has gone. No-one else, I'd imagine.

Wells won't be getting another contract and Conway or Bell might be sold if they continue to do well. So there might be opportunities up front. If so, Palmer-Holden has something about him. Time will tell. 

But the rest of the young forwards are miles off yet, despite Tinnion's self-serving efforts to hype up Yeboah. You can put stuff up on social media all you like, or blather on to whoever you bump into at FGR of a night. But we've all seen with our own eyes that the lad is way off at the moment, albeit with an excellent attitude. Perhaps our teknical director should put a sock in it, cut the hype, let the young ones develop at their own pace?   

Will there be anyone left😂

• Admin
9 hours ago, frenchred said:

Didnt know Idehen was going on loan but I think that could help Raph get a decent run at CB as I believe he is better suited there (only my opinion though)

Was only announced yesterday, and this tweet soon got swallowed up by lots of tweets about training 

Screenshot_20231116_015008_X.jpg