IGNORED

Any News on Nige ?

bpexile

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

How long have you been watching us?

Interested because of your last statement, which I suppose is arguable if you’ve only watched us for say 5 or 6 years.

Cotterill had us playing far better football (admittedly that was one level down), personally I think that GJ did too, but if you have seen us long term, let’s say 30 years (or like me, for 50) it’s utter nonsense.

‘The best football I’ve ever seen’ is truly one of the most remarkable things I’ve read on here

If it refers to a couple of months leading to the Man City ties , we were good , really good at times 

a couple of months that had some good games or spells

Best football comes in many forms , smooth on the eye, exciting , entertaining , effective

That was when the side picked itself without Mr Lumber up front

For best football besides those you’ve highlighted some of the football under Ward , Wilson , certainly Jordan , Cooper ....... we could go on 

I’m more about the job a manager does in total context , with at least of whiff of entertainment 

And the City sides I’ve liked most , are the ones who give everything .

* Edit

Even under the much maligned Russell Osman there were some highlights.We were fantastic in those Liverpool ties  - Far more impressive than the Man U performance in reality 

Anyone who sees that as indicative of Lee Johnson’s  product , or his football signature , is simply deluded 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

How long have you been watching us?

Interested because of your last statement, which I suppose is arguable if you’ve only watched us for say 5 or 6 years.

Cotterill had us playing far better football (admittedly that was one level down), personally I think that GJ did too, but if you have seen us long term, let’s say 30 years (or like me, for 50) it’s utter nonsense.

In your opinion. Let’s not forget that. I respect that’s your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

Edited by Spreadsheet Man

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

For someone who childlike (I suspect simple jealousy)  ‘mimics’ a respected poster on here , you are a sensetive soul aren’t you

How on earth have you got me being sensitive (not sensetive)? And I have no idea what you’re saying, it literally makes no sense. Anyway,  I’m not here for an argument. If you want an argument, I’ll be at the Gate today. I’ll be the one wearing the Bristol City shirt. 

Enjoy the game, COYRs

45 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

‘The best football I’ve ever seen’ is truly one of the most remarkable things I’ve read on here

If it refers to a couple of months leading to the Man City ties , we were good , really good at times 

a couple of months that had some good games or spells

Best football comes in many forms , smooth on the eye, exciting , entertaining , effective

That was when the side picked itself without Mr Lumber up front

For best football besides those you’ve highlighted some of the football under Ward , Wilson , certainly Jordan , Cooper ....... we could go on 

I’m more about the job a manager does in total context , with at least of whiff of entertainment 

And the City sides I’ve liked most , are the ones who give everything .

* Edit

Even under the much maligned Russell Osman there were some highlights.We were fantastic in those Liverpool ties  - Far more impressive than the Man U performance in reality 

Anyone who sees that as indicative of Lee Johnson’s  product , or his football signature , is simply deluded 

Which is exactly why I asked the question over what period, which was then ignored.

He hasn’t been watching us for 5 years but if he had, then even if I didn’t agree, I’d understand the argument.

It’s like when people say so and so was the best striker/right back whatever to play for us, it can only be based on what they’ve seen.

Not going to make me popular but actually think Osman gets far more stick than deserved, very little money but signed the likes of Shail & Tinnion, plus as you said that Liverpool win.

Reckon McInnes, SOD, & several others (Pulis, obviously) were much worse.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which is exactly why I asked the question over what period, which was then ignored.

He hasn’t been watching us for 5 years but if he had, then even if I didn’t agree, I’d understand the argument.

It’s like when people say so and so was the best striker/right back whatever to play for us, it can only be based on what they’ve seen.

Someone who thinks SL is the Messiah so somewhat confusing 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Over 40 years. Not sure really what that has to do with an opinion 🤔

Loads, because you are therefore stating LJ played better football than Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Gary Johnson amongst others & now I know the context, whilst of course it is an opinion  (I could say that in my youth I was a better footballer than Thierry Henry, it’s bollocks, but still an opinion) makes it laughable.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Loads, because you are therefore stating LJ played better football than Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Gary Johnson amongst others & now I know the context, whilst of course it is an opinion (I could say in my youth I was a better footballer than Thierry Henry, it’s bollocks but still an opinion) makes it laughable.

Okay. Well, respectfully I disagree. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Name me another manager that’s got us higher in the league apart from GJ? 

Nigel certainly didn’t. 

“But Lee had loads of money blah blah blah”

Johnson had us playing the best football I’ve ever seen. But again, let’s not let facts get in the way of another fans witch hunt. 

Best football ever seen, crikey you’ve not had a blessed time following City then. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Name me another manager that’s got us higher in the league apart from GJ? 

Nigel certainly didn’t. 

“But Lee had loads of money blah blah blah”

Johnson had us playing the best football I’ve ever seen. But again, let’s not let facts get in the way of another fans witch hunt. 

We bottled automatic promotion under GJ. 

Ahh yes, who can forget that classic game against Burton where we played such fantastic football. I think we may have been on another bad run at the time and that a draw to Burton was considered decent.

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Best football ever seen, crikey you’ve not had a blessed time following City then. 

For me it’s nearly impossible to remember who the manager was when City played really slick, attractive and a foot style.

Was it Dicks? He got City into the old First Division but I can’t really remember what type of football City played back then but it obviously worked.

For me the best style of football was Danny Wilson’s. He had the exciting players and utilised their individual skills into an excellent team - sadly he didn’t win anything……….:sad26: but the “buzz” they created was terrific.

It’s easier in some way to remember the drab and dreary stuff I’ve seen over the years. Denis Smith signed Andy Cole but again I can’t remember what he served up, Russell Osman the same. Ward and Lennartsson as well.

Then Gary Johnson……won matches by playing the most dreary and turgid stuff often winning by one goal. No ‘buzz’ created just a feeling of astonishment at how City ever won the game - then his clone in Lee Johnson…………..:facepalm: who actually complained about the lack of atmosphere at AG…….ummm………

Looking back on Nige’s reign - I suppose he never quite managed to create that ‘buzz’ amongst the fans at AG and now we’ll never know if ever would have.

Lets hope that Manning can get his team playing some exciting stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I have to disagree with that, we won games but I remember vividly watching us playing and thinking "damn we were lucky we got away with that" on numerous occasions under Cotterill and that was with arguably the best squad in the league at that time. I mean we made numerous mistakes whilst playing under Cotterill but they are often forgotten because ultimately we won the league and a cup to boot, so it's easy to forget the bad football we played under him too.

I tend to focus on the negatives of a football team's set up because I'm very much of the eliminate the mistakes and you're only left with positives mindset, yes it can be flawed like any other mindset but it does mean the negatives remain in my head more often. I think some of our best football in the last 20 years was under LJ, but his issue was one week we looked like we could beat anyone and the next we seemed to lose all shape and identity, I think he just tinkered too much and it created inconsistency and frustration within the squad. Going further back than those 20 years ago and I was a teenager when we played really attractive football and I'd say in all of my years supporting Bristol City Pearsons time in control was actually the first time I saw a manager come into an unstable environment and slowly but surely turn it around after starting on such a bad footing.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

43 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Man said:

Please don’t call me a child and then have the  gall to write a sentence like that. You clearly are upset. We’ve just had an amazing win, chill a little. Friends? 

Bellend 😁 now get back on the various chatrooms you plague you sad sad lonely misfit. You are as much a city fan as Holloway.

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Bellend 😁 now get back on the various chatrooms you plague you sad sad lonely misfit. You are as much a city fan as Holloway.

Wow 😂. So, so angry. We won Bro. It’s Saturday night, it’s almost Christmas. Reeeelax. Anyway, DM me if you want to continue this, I’m sure people don’t wanna read this rubbish on here. 

Edited by Spreadsheet Man

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

For me it’s nearly impossible to remember who the manager was when City played really slick, attractive and a foot style.

Was it Dicks? He got City into the old First Division but I can’t really remember what type of football City played back then but it obviously worked.

For me the best style of football was Danny Wilson’s. He had the exciting players and utilised their individual skills into an excellent team - sadly he didn’t win anything……….:sad26: but the “buzz” they created was terrific.

It’s easier in some way to remember the drab and dreary stuff I’ve seen over the years. Denis Smith signed Andy Cole but again I can’t remember what he served up, Russell Osman the same. Ward and Lennartsson as well.

Then Gary Johnson……won matches by playing the most dreary and turgid stuff often winning by one goal. No ‘buzz’ created just a feeling of astonishment at how City ever won the game - then his clone in Lee Johnson…………..:facepalm: who actually complained about the lack of atmosphere at AG…….ummm………

Looking back on Nige’s reign - I suppose he never quite managed to create that ‘buzz’ amongst the fans at AG and now we’ll never know if ever would have.

Lets hope that Manning can get his team playing some exciting stuff.

Your post got me thinking! Interesting - but like you I’m not sure I can really remember that well!

I think that, by general consent, Alan Dicks sides weren’t known for fluid, attacking football. As I recall, it was more about hard working teams and team spirit - that sort of thing!

I think Terry Cooper’s sides played some of the most enjoyable football I can remember watching - and it brought success, albeit at a much lower level than we’re now at.

I also think we played some fantastic stuff under Lumsden and then Smith - when we had the likes of Jacki, Cole, Rosenior. The problem was we couldn’t defend - so exciting football, great games, but hit and miss whether we’d win 3-2 or lose 3-4 and too often the latter.

GJ - yes, the opposite to the above and the classic ‘process or outcome’ dilemma! But he did get consistent results and I think we ceased to be atonished simply because it was clearly more than just a freak result or two. We came to expect it, and the ‘buzz’ was the knowledge that we would sneak the win and that we came very close to the ultimate goal.

LJ: I’m in the ‘there were some great bits and there were some crap bits’ camp. Definitely some of the most memorable games for me, and spells where we played some of the best football. And other times that were the opposite. I guess there’s an element of that in most regimes, but it seemed quite pronounced during LJs. 

Agree with you about NP - and in his defence you can argue that he had some significant other priorities - sorting out the finances - which impacted that. 

Like you, I’m hopeful Manning will bring us some more exciting football to watch. 

• Like 1