IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

21 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I think we’re agreed on most things. Certainly the clumsy departure of NP which, in turn, has heaped pressure on LM. All the stuff JL said about top end, top six, the budget etc and the assertion we’re underperforming with what we’ve got…. It can’t be unsaid. It’s nonsense of course, mid to upper-mid table would be respectable for this squad. 
Your point about power shifting from Steve to Jon is interesting - Steve always loyal and sometimes too loyal. Jon…. Trigger happy? 
Lucky old Pat Lam that Steve is still close to the rugby team!!!

Lam would be gone if it wouldn’t cost a fortune to pay him off

1 hour ago, BCFC Rich said:

I think it was basically keeping possession over playing a percentage ball over the top and waiting for a good opportunity. We had more movement than against QPR, but still not enough - if we play with the kind of possession we had 1st half and improve the movement and passing options I think we'll do well. 

2nd half we were sleeping 1st 10/15. OG didn't help and the atmosphere was flat when it could really have helped + lifted the players. But once we were back in front we defended well, went a little more direct (to me a bit more like we were under NP), and looked comfortable. 

I genuinely question whether the fanbase as a whole will accept that way of playing when it's not winning. It's just not in the DNA, i mean I myself am really trying to be open minded.

Though Seeing two CBs pass left, pass right, pass to each other over and over. It's neither brave nor dynamic.

Make inches, turn back. Make inches, turn back. That first half was anything but brave.

It was take the easy pass on the table and hope the opposition get lazy. they didn't.

He needs time, he deserves time. I hope he gets us to front foot attacking football. Trust the process etc. But that first half till the stunning goal , well it was a great solution for those with sleeping issues.

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Get over yourself sunshine. I’ll have been watching City for 50 years next season. I don’t give a shit who the manager is, as long as we win 

Terry Coopers red and white army…

Exactly ,

some people must have such high standards been watch city for quite a few years now to say the least and for some people saying how boring / poor we were you obviously haven’t been watching the same city as me over the years , still room for much improvement but let’s give the manager & the team some time not 2 whole games 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, The turtle said:

I genuinely question whether the fanbase as a whole will accept that way of playing when it's not winning. It's just not in the DNA, i mean I myself am really trying to be open minded.

Though Seeing two CBs pass left, pass right, pass to each other over and over. It's neither brave nor dynamic.

Make inches, turn back. Make inches, turn back. That first half was anything but brave.

It was take the easy pass on the table and hope the opposition get lazy. they didn't.

He needs time, he deserves time. I hope he gets us to front foot attacking football. Trust the process etc. But that first half till the stunning goal , well it was a great solution for those with sleeping issues.

Ashton Gate doesn't like that type of football we saw in the 1st half. I could have told him that. There was quite a few discerning voices about that style today. Had we of not gone into the break winning I felt as if there was going to be quite a few boos. 

At 2-2 the anti JL songs were sang.

This is one principle that LM needs to rip up. Fantastic we got the win and that we dug deep but we could have so easily of been speaking about a loss and a terrible performance this evening. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ashton Gate doesn't like that type of football we saw in the 1st half. I could have told him that. There was quite a few discerning voices about that style today. Had we of not gone into the break winning I felt as if there was going to be quite a few boos. 

This is one principle that LM needs to rip up. Fantastic we got the win and that we dug deep but we could have so easily of been speaking about a loss and a terrible performance this evening. 

Life is full of buts , 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Absolutely. But the point im making is it took a wonder goal to change things Were not going to score a wonder goal every game.

But as you put there will be other moments in other games that will change moments , a crunching tackle , a sending off , a deflection think you get my drift also all games are different, hope you get my drift 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I bet in those 50 years of watching City you've not seen many first 40 mins like that! 

I think you're missing the point. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of others.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of yer own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from yer brother's eye (on otib)" John 3:16 (or possibly Matthew 7:3)

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

No. I meant, it swung one way, then swung the other, then came back to us and I had to endure a few nervy mo.ents towards the end.

As I said a proper game of football, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

No other agenda

Glad you enjoyed it fellow Red.

The "hammered" was just a bit was a bit of fun referencing your "nails".

All the best.

Just shows you never know where a game will go. First half an hour it so we were jokingly judging each other awake. The difference in the last 20 mins couldn’t be more different. 

Think TGH gets my MOTM just, over Dickie but not much in it, but that brilliant goal. Not sure he’s getting the best out of Bell yet, didn’t see any of his characteristics runs down the outside. And for me Tommy needs to be in a two up front. 

5 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Why is he asking Bell to constantly drop in to the midfield and try link up, he brings nothing to the game like that. 

He's better out on the touchline 1v1. Pring isn't offering an outlet to help him either

Because we can’t get the ball to him if he just stands out there…he has to move his marker around, has to create space for Pring (who can push Jones back too).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jose said:

What a crazy game. Thought we managed things in stoppage time better than we did in the last ten of normal time. Need to keep the ball better when trying to see things out.

Let’s not forget that Boro are a good team. Cracking result. 

It’s a huge benefit to have a bench that can keep us competitive when the opposition is making subs to freshen up the game.  Cardiff (a) was the opposite, and we ran out of steam against a replenished Cardiff.

Today, we even left Weimann on the bench.

Under Nige we generally had our better results and performances when we had a reasonably decent bench.

We were a bit nervy, but we could also have put the game to bed also.

Good win.

Result was the most important thing for me today…I posted similar earlier.  It came with a pretty decent performance too.

3 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Odd game. Midfield was absent for the first 25 minutes. We created a few chances and scored two very good goals. Middlesbrough were pretty dissapointing aside from both the restarts. One thing, should it have been a red? In real time I didn't think so but glancing at the replay at half time it seemed worse than I thought. 

Midfield weren’t absent imho, just being man-marked by Boro who’s tactic was to contest the middle of the pitch.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

What do you say about a game like that?!!

Firstly, Boro are clearly a decent team and have the potential to reach the playoffs, so a win is a great result.

I'll get the negatives out the way... I've got issues with Bell at the moment, and Pring and Tanner looked tentative amd reluctant to push up. But Vyner was the big problem. It's not just the calamitous own goal, it was also a couple of sloppy errors early on that put us under pressure, and I thought he really fortunate to get away with a studs up sliding tackle in our area which just missed the attacker but could easily have been a pen and / or a red. It's no good being steady for the majority of the game if you're prone to mishaps. 

I was delighted that we were able to regain the initiative in the first half, culminating in Boro making their own mistakes at the back, and likewise in the second half, we were pegged back in no time, but still wrestled control of the game again, and prior to that great finish from Sykes, City had regained the edge.

It was dire game for half an hour, but the last hour was great entertainment, and I think we've just got to enjoy the 3 points.

Vyner had a very mixed game, he was not at his best today by some stretch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I’ve only used facts on our defensive record before today. I judged Pearson favourably on the resources he was given, I don’t give a **** what Snakey and Captain Crayon say and think, and I’ll treat Liam Manning the same…….in other words ignore the complete and utter shit that dribbled out of the upstairs mob when Nige was fired and judge Manning on the players of generally average ability at the level that he’s got.

That’s probably the best post I’ve read on here in a good while.  Spot on imho.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I bet in those 50 years of watching City you've not seen many first 40 mins like that! 

I think you're missing the point. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of others.

Preston game was a worse first half than that.

Although the first half up to the goals wasn’t the most exciting football you’ll ever see I was pleased after the first 5-10 mins or so how we wrestled a positive start from Boro away from them and controlled most of that first half

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry mate but that 1st 40 minutes was dire. The deafening silence within Ashton Gate says a lot. 

Not seen us play like that for a very long time. Check back through the thread and see what others were saying about the performance in real time. 

Absolutely over the moon with the win and that its now 3 home wins in 4. 

But let's not try and pretend that it wasn't bad. Let's be balanced.

I found the opening 35 mins very interesting, see my post on Silvio’s thread.

You’ve got to be prepared to accept there are 11 other players trying to stop us doing what we want, whilst we are trying to stop them doing what they want.

Two teams testing each other out.  I think we are gonna have to be used to periods of games where there doesn’t appear to be much excitement…but there are lots of things going on.

I quite enjoyed it, lots of things to pick out.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, The turtle said:

I posed that exact question during the international break.

I actually get bored watching Man City sometimes.

The LJ 3 months of 17-18, many see as the best footie we have played in years.  I think the cup games meant a lot of rise-tinted specs.

We weren’t hugely exciting in the league though, we were grafters, tight, attritional…ground opponents down.

I still think a good chunk of fans base their reactions on the result.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ashton Gate might need to move into the 21st century in how it views football.  This is how it is across many teams these days.

• Like 3