IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Extended EFL highlights here although it could be double counting of what Pete said.

I watched those earlier then subbed to The EFL channel. It has all Champ clubs extended highlights so it might be a more useful way to catch up games of interest, especially if you prefer your tvs YouTube app.

Just rewatched the first half, specifically to see the impact that Dickie had in the half (didn't check second half as it was a totally different game really).

It was as I thought when watching live, he had 7 carries or steps out of defence, 4 passes that broke the lines, and 7 receipts/passes within five yards either side of the half way line. Great first half from him.

McCrorie on co-commentary said he's having a great game and doing what the gaffer has asked of the CBs, to carry the ball out of defence. 

It makes a hell of a difference in getting the ball forward, reminds me of Webster who was allowed to do that when he was here, not so much for Brighton though.

After watching the extended highlights, I though Tanner was a bit unlucky to not get a free kick for their second goal- looked to me like their player took his leg rather than the ball, but didn't matter in the end. Was even more impressed by the TGH strike than I was in person, and his free kick and corners looked decent too. Was nice to be able to weather a shift in momentum like the first 10 of the second half and still come out with a win.

• Like 1
On 26/11/2023 at 12:10, Alessandro said:

Said it at half time and I’ll say it again - seemed noticeable how much braver the CB’s were on the ball, lovely to see and both Vyner and Dickie very capable of stepping out and it helps so much with keeping the opposition press guessing - good improvement.

Also seen a bit of stick for Tanner…think he did seemed to often be more one of three CB’s as we moved the ball across the pitch looking for space and his instructions were to be less expansive than Pring going forward. Also felt he/his area of the pitch was targeted for the overlap/overloads as Sykes got caught upfield - so was perhaps made to look to struggle more than he actually did, defensively. 

I enjoyed the game - felt like had we not made those couple of mistakes beginning of the second overloads, we were generally in control for large parts of the game. Obviously the second half got a bit hectic and open, from both teams.

Manning’s comments make sense - it’s not going to be high press/front foot/exciting football all the time - as JL and Tinnion banged on about before he was appointment - but knowing when to attack. Feel like we’re beginning to see that in that game there.

Dickie brilliant - TGH in his rightful spot at CM and looks undroppable now. 

Still want much more end product from Bell and Mehmeti - interesting to see Bell having to drop off a lot more.

I agree regarding Dickie, he is a great buy, I think that Tanner had very few options when he had the ball in the first half. Sykes was well marked and there was often no ball into midfield. I thought Mehmeti looked a lot better than recent times when he came on actually taking people on which is what he was bought for. Not too much end product yet but I am encouraged. Bell looks like he needs a few games back in the reserves and I think we look better with Cornick leading the line rather than Conway. At least we had a decent bench this week. What Nige would have given for that!