IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13566-bristol-city-vs-boro/

1-1 for me, I feel like we never have convincing performances against Bristol.

Surely we are due a decent performance at Ashton Gate, we always seem to go into our shells when we play there. Interesting stats this week about our first half performances almost on a par with Sheffield Wednesday for going behind

Last season both games were draws, in the previous two years we have won one game each.

They tend to be entertaining contests, Boro always come to play, not to spoil so I’m looking forward to it.

Be interesting to see how many (if any) changes there are from QPR, Weimann or Gardner-Hickman in midfield, with Naismith a less likely pick, Bell or Mehmeti up front seem to be the realistic options.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

The game on Easter Monday was excellent, we were injury hit as well albeit maybe not quite as many as now.

Should have won but enjoyable, both sides played good football, atmosphere was decent. We were missing Scott among others.

Just looked at the side, Pring was at CB. Kalas and Atkinson were injured, as were Scott, Benarous..Williams maybe was, Sykes was still banned! The bench strength or depth wasn't there so much either.

Middlesbrough had Archer on off the bench as well as Akpom and Ramsey from the start. Steffen on loan as well as Giles also on loan started..quite the difference in resources.

A draw wouldn't surprise me too much. Perhaps an entertaining one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

New boss has had two weeks off to work with these players, implement his style, find his best team and the formation he wants.

I feel that what we see tomorrow will tell us a lot about how things are going to pan out. 

Two weeks - am I being wooshed here? We were talking about giving Nige longer after 2.5 years to get things going but LM gets two weeks to make an impression. Hmm. Not expecting much to change yet.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

5 hours ago, 22A said:

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13566-bristol-city-vs-boro/

1-1 for me, I feel like we never have convincing performances against Bristol.

Surely we are due a decent performance at Ashton Gate, we always seem to go into our shells when we play there. Interesting stats this week about our first half performances almost on a par with Sheffield Wednesday for going behind

LMs notes: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/liams-notes-middlesbrough-h/

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Two weeks - am I being wooshed here? We were talking about giving Nige longer after 2.5 years to get things going but LM gets two weeks to make an impression. Hmm. Not expecting much to change yet.

I think what most people are saying is that the foundations were set by Nige to start to take us forward, not go backwards.  So Manning shouldn’t take us backwards.  He can make an impression by continuing what was started.  That’s my interpretation of what most are saying.

They aren’t saying he should’ve turned us into world-beaters in 3 weeks in charge.  Even if the Heirarchy make stupid claims! 😉

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I read what Carrick said about international breaks with interest earlier:

IMG_2168.thumb.jpeg.4fed4002e09a64eecdd4b45d9b65c9eb.jpeg

I also saw that Mowbray gave Jobe Bellingham 10 days off over the international break and let Bradley Dack go to Dubai, so a) clearly it wasn’t just NP doing it and b) I guess in the eyes of JL and Tinnion, Carrick and Mowbray don’t know what they’re doing either. 

I’d take a point tomorrow, but am fearing worse. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1
34 minutes ago, tin said:

I guess in the eyes of JL and Tinnion, Carrick and Mowbray don’t know what they’re doing either

It seems to me they sacked Nigel then flailed around trying to find excuses for doing it.

They landed on the de-conditioned nonsense which has been further undermined by Manning saying how fit the players are. Though perhaps he didn't have the benefit of Jon's expertise before he said that.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Sensible post.

Boro are in great form, one defeat in ten and 18 scored.

Can't see us getting anything from the game - and would say the same if Pearson was still here.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, tin said:

I also saw that Mowbray gave Jobe Bellingham 10 days off over the international break and let Bradley Dack go to Dubai, so a) clearly it wasn’t just NP doing it and b) I guess in the eyes of JL and Tinnion, Carrick and Mowbray don’t know what they’re doing either. 

I wonder who gave JL his wonderful football insight?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think what most people are saying is that the foundations were set by Nige to start to take us forward, not go backwards.  So Manning shouldn’t take us backwards.  He can make an impression by continuing what was started.  That’s my interpretation of what most are saying.

They aren’t saying he should’ve turned us into world-beaters in 3 weeks in charge.  Even if the Heirarchy make stupid claims! 😉

Yes wise words as always Dave. Can't go tomorrow but will be interesting to the line up after 3 weeks with the squad. Who has impressed the new boss in training and how the new boss sees those players lining up with their new tactical set up. I do not expect big changes. But who knows.

COYR

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Sensible post.

Boro are in great form, one defeat in ten and 18 scored.

Can't see us getting anything from the game - and would say the same if Pearson was still here.

Boro are in great form however they finished 4th last season but didn’t manage to beat us at home or in BS3.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a point tomorrow, the 3 relegated sides apart I’d expect us to have a chance of getting a result against everyone else.

• Like 4

Boro are indeed on a good run of form at the moment. Hopefully we will get at least a draw tomorrow. 1-1 for me. 

On a different note thank you @Jerseybean again for all the pre match info you give before every game! Such dedication and knowledge. Always enjoy having a little read before a match and always learn something new. Just wanted to say thank you for all the effort you put in. 

Onto tomorrow, Manning's first game at home. COYR!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, tin said:

With this constant negativity, I hope we absolutely smash Middlesborough tomorrow (more than normal) just to shut everyone up. My god, Nigel has gone, can we please just get behind this club and our manager. 

Edited by Spreadsheet Man
  • Like 2
On 24/11/2023 at 01:13, Jerseybean said:

Last season it finished 2-2 we were two up with goals from Bell and Cornick (with his first City goal) https://twitter.com/BristolCity/status/1645481006420328449?s=20

Highlights: https://youtu.be/dYpB7VvKzJg

LM pre match comments: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-previews-boro-at-home/ and https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/manning-meets-the-press-ahead-of-middlesbrough/

Carrick pre-match: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/november/23/pre-/

They started this season poorly at one point they sat rock bottom of the table, winless in seven games. They then managed four consecutive league wins and things started to look up. They have won four, lost one and drawn one of their last six games, beating Leicester in their last game.

Michael Carrick enjoyed a good first season at the helm last season when they finished fourth with 75 points, they were beaten 1-0 on aggregate by Coventry in the play offs.

Our ex-manager played 139 times for them.

They signed defender Rav van den Berg from Dutch Eredivisie side PEC Zwolle on a four-year deal, for an undisclosed fee. The 18-year-old made his debut for the Bluefingers in May 2021, and has since played 32 senior games, scoring once.

They also signed Central Coast Mariners winger Sam Silvera and ex-Melbourne City goalkeeper Tom Glover on three-year deals.

They  signed Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Seny Dieng for an undisclosed fee. Plus goalkeeper Jamie Jones on a one-year deal, following his departure from League One side Wigan Athletic earlier this month.

In mid August they signed striker Emmanuel Latte Lath from Italian club Atalanta, and defender Lukas Engel from Danish Superliga side Silkeborg, both on four-year contracts.

On the eve of deadline day they signed midfielders Lewis O'Brien and Sam Greenwood on loan from Nottingham Forest and Leeds for the season. Then on deadline day they   signed Sierra Leone international Alex Bangura from Dutch side SC Cambuur on a four-year deal.

They sold striker Chuba Akpom to Dutch giants Ajax in a deal worth up to 14.3m euros (£12.2m).

Head-to-head record

Won: 28

Lost: 35

Drawn: 24

They have only managed three doubles over us in 1928/29, 1970/71 and 1994/95. 

Officials

Referee: John Busby

Assistants: Richard Wild and Graham Kane

Fourth official: Richie Watkins

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg