IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

I broadly agree with you but it is a bit Manning v Nige.

Manning signed up to this gig, the he will know the board expect “top end” championship…. surely JL mentioned this at interview stage? He must believe he’s more capable of that, with these players, than Nige.

If we lose today we’ll be miles off “top end” and he’ll have a mountain to climb.

I hope he does well but am I confident? No. Hopefully LM won’t regret jumping ship so early from Oxford. He’ll have received a pay bunk-up I’m sure but I think the objective from the deluded ownership is near impossible. 

I doubt very much whether he ever considered whether he’s more or less “capable of that….than Nige”.

And at the time he discussed it and agreed to take the job he self evidently was more capable, given that Nige was no longer managing City. 

So still can’t see how this is in any sense Manning v Nige, and I worry that the more it gets framed this way the more divisive it becomes and that’s simply bad for the club. 

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I doubt very much whether he ever considered whether he’s more or less “capable of that….than Nige”.

And at the time he discussed it and agreed to take the job he self evidently was more capable, given that Nige was no longer managing City. 

So still can’t see how this is in any sense Manning v Nige, and I worry that the more it gets framed this way the more divisive it becomes and that’s simply bad for the club. 

I take your point but you’re effectively saying that he’s taken the job not believing he can do better than the previous man and that the job became available for reasons other than the previous manager wasn’t doing well enough….

We all know Nige was sacked for reasons other than results…. But that’s the message given and how Manning and his “top end championship squad” has  to be assessed. He’s the Lansdown’s boy. He believes what they’ve spun him, believes the project…..  or he should have told them to stick it. I’ve never in 40+ years known a manager have such a clear objective “top end”.  Let’s see…. But if we’re not top end, those of us who “got” where Nige was taking things will, rightly, be angry. 

• Like 2